Sam
mrkleen09
gyso
MDCelticsFan
dboss
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics - Page 2 Empty Re: Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics

Post by gyso Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:34 pm

dboss wrote:I do not have a problem with Bass trying to maximize his opportunity.

3 yrs with an option for a 4th year seems reasonable. I think $5.25 per is reasonable. That's a million dollar raise per year.

Lets see what other teams offer. His market value needs to be set.

Dboss

I posted this on another thread, but it is relevant to this discussion as well:

gyso wrote:The article above does not say what happens to Bass when he opts out of the last year of his contract. Is he a restricted FA or a unrestricted FA? I am going under the assumption that he is an unrestricted FA. If I am correct, there cannot be any "let the market speak" when trying to decide his value. If he gets signs an offer sheet, he is gone. We do not have the right to match any offer.

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics - Page 2 Empty Re: Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:41 pm

gyso,

The last thing you wrote is not completely true.
If he gets an offer sheet, he is gone. We do not have the right to match any offer.
Bass could get a offer from a team he doesn't want to play for that is $500k per year more then what Boston is willing to spend. He doesn't have to accept the highest offer. But, I do get your point that Boston doesn't automatically have the right to match because he is an URA.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Gyso,

He's only gone if he signs the offer sheet, right? Can't he let the market speak by getting offers from other teams and using those offers to establish the lesser amount he'd accept from Boston?

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:55 pm

WEEI 850 - POSTED ON THEIR WEB SITE TODAY

BRANDON BASS

Bass has a $4.25 million player option for next season, but he will exercise it and become a free agent. His market should be close to what Glen Davis received from the Magic: four years, $27 million.

Coming to Boston was a blessing for Bass, and he thrived under Doc Rivers’ tutelage, becoming one of the very few people who could coexist with the other four starters. The Celtics love jump-shooting big men, and Bass is one of the best in the league at knocking down 17-footers. He seamlessly moved from sixth man to starter and is capable of playing either role while maintaining consistent levels of production.

Bass feels like’s found a home in Boston, but the Celtics are still undersized up front and rebounding was their biggest issue this past season. Without a strong defensive anchor like Garnett, it would be tough to construct a new frontcourt around Bass and Green.

He could also be part of a sign-and-trade if they look to rebuild and there will be a market for Bass because there’s always one for big men who score and play defense. Like almost everyone else, his return is dependent in part on Garnett.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 pm

TJ and Outside,

Yes, I used the wrong word, "gets". If he "signs" an offer sheet is the correct wording.

Do players ever get offer sheets and then take them to the team of their choice and compare? By players, I mean their agents, of course. That seems a little sketchy.

Thanks for the correction,

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:18 pm

gyso,

Teams make official offers to free agents via an offer sheet.
If a RFA signs the offer sheet, the team that has his Rights now has 72 hours to match.

For an URA, he can sign the offer sheet which means a committment or he can pass on the offer sheet. Before this season started, there were a few people that had offer sheets but refused to sign them. I know one was Tyson Chandler and one was Nene. Nene had a offer from Houston and NJ but waited to see how the Gasol to Houston trade/non-trade worked out.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:29 pm

gyso wrote:Yes, I used the wrong word, "gets". If he "signs" an offer sheet is the correct wording.

Do players ever get offer sheets and then take them to the team of their choice and compare? By players, I mean their agents, of course. That seems a little sketchy.
Gyso,

You may very well be correct about that. As for details regarding contracts and such, if I can get to the point that I know 1% of what you do, I'll be happy.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 pm

I just saw some descriptions of Bass that I hastily described as "hatred" because I thought they were a bit over the top. No big deal. I could have said "Why so pejorative?" I have never denied his shortcomings. I believe on focusing on his strengths and potential because even Lebron James has shortcomings, e.g., being able to shoot a stand-still shot from 15 feet away.

Moreover, as I explained in an earlier post, I think it has taken him a while to get used to three distinctly different scenarios during his relatively short time as a Celtic. Just as one small example, people seem delighted when he hits the offensive boards, sticks with it, and scores. But there's a fine line between getting into position for such activity and simultaneously watching for a last-instant inside pass from Rondo. I believe some of Bass' bobbles have arisen from never before having played with someone like Rajon and dealing with the compromises such a relationship sometimes entails.

I'll happily leave it to people who know NBA value (or at least think they do) to conjecture about how much Bass is worth. But I certainly wouldn't be as quick as some people appear to let him walk in return for nothing.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Does anyone out there believe that Bass would prefer to stay with the Celts?

Da cannot compete for his services until his market value has been established.

Once that happens all of our speculative insight may grow eyes.

Boston should counter and or match any reasonable offer. But there are so many. Dynamics at work here. For instance if Kg left we may be willing to pay him more because he is the only other big that can consistently make outside shoots.

Jjj is also a key. He was our first rounder last year. If doc believes he can play and if we can resign Green, the desire to retain Bass may be less.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Sam,

No biggie........Bass is a hard one to nail down. Is he worth keeping....Yes but probably not at the price he's thinking (Big Baby). In some categories he has risen marginally from past years, while some he has slipped just a little.
As far as judging talent and debating........hey that is why we have Sam's Celtic forum.............Where everyone knows where you stand!

Cheers!

PS Like the word pejorative! It sounds more like something coming from the cultured class on Beacon Hill!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2