Randolph Planning to Remain With Celtics

Go down

Randolph Planning to Remain With Celtics Empty Randolph Planning to Remain With Celtics

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/randolph-planning-remain-celtics

Randolph planning to remain with the Celtics
July 24, 2013, 5:15 pm

BOSTON – Earlier this summer, a return to the Boston Celtics roster seemed very realistic for big man Shavlik Randolph.

That was before the Celtics drafted a pair of 7-footers in June and then signed Brazilian big man Vitor Faverani.

The addition of Faverani and Phil Pressey this week, brought the C's guaranteed contract total to 15 which is the NBA maximum.

Despite there seemingly being no place for Randolph on the roster, he remains confident that the 2013-2014 season will begin with him as a member of the Celtics.

The C's have until August 1 to waive Randolph. Otherwise, his contract becomes guaranteed for the season.

"All indications are still that I will be back," Randolph told CSNNE.com in a phone interview on Wednesday. "Of course, anything can happen in the NBA. I understand this is a business. But you won't feel totally at ease until the deadline comes and goes."

In order for Randolph to stick around, the Celtics have to trade or waive at least one player.

Boston appears to have a logjam at both the shooting guard and power forward positions.

While the C's are believed to be open to trading most of the players on their current roster, a league source said the Celtics would "love" to move Jordan Crawford but have had little to no interest thus far.

Crawford is set to earn $2.1 million this season.

"Look at that their team?" the source said about the Celtics. "[Crawford] and MarShon Brooks are basically the same kind of player. No sense in keeping both of them around if you can help it."

Brooks, who was drafted by the Celtics in 2011 but traded immediately to Brooklyn, was part of the blockbuster deal that sent Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Jason Terry and D.J. White (who has since been waived), to the Nets.

Randolph said he had "good talks" with the C's new coach Brad Stevens and is confident that he can work his way into a meaningful role if the C's decide to keep him on the roster.

Although he didn't play much after joining the C's in March, Randolph believes he did enough to position to be with the Celtics or another NBA team this season.

"I've shown when I'm healthy, I can be a good role player, a good rotation player helping off the bench," Randolph said. "I still expect to be in Boston, but it's not like it's a do-or-die kind of thing for me. I feel good about playing in the NBA next season. Hopefully it'll be with the Celtics."

bob
MY NOTE: So, Danny is trying to move Crawford, huh? Good to know. Not getting any nibbles. Bad to know.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down