Rockets trade Budinger for #18

+2
tjmakz
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Rockets trade Budinger for #18 Empty Rockets trade Budinger for #18

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

The Rockets now have the 14th, 16th and 18th picks in the draft.

This will shake things up especially if, as is being surmised, they are stockpiling these assets for a trade for D12. If true, then whomever they draft would be at Orlando's request and pursuant to Orlando's roster needs post-Howard. Orlando already has the #19 pick.

Right now, every "mock-drafter" is scrambling to rework their picks.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/rockets-trade-budinger-for-18th-pick

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rockets trade Budinger for #18 Empty Re: Rockets trade Budinger for #18

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm

It will take a lot more then some 14-18 draft picks to get Dwight.
Supposedly Houston might be able to trade Lowry and two of their first rounders for the #5 pick from Sacramento. Or a deal similar to that. Or they might be able get another top 10 pick by trading Dalembert and a 1st.

If things don't work out between Houston and Orlando, I wonder if LA will get involved by offering Bynum for Lowry/Scola/additional?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 pm

tjmakz wrote:It will take a lot more then some 14-18 draft picks to get Dwight.
Supposedly Houston might be able to trade Lowry and two of their first rounders for the #5 pick from Sacramento. Or a deal similar to that. Or they might be able get another top 10 pick by trading Dalembert and a 1st.

If things don't work out between Houston and Orlando, I wonder if LA will get involved by offering Bynum for Lowry/Scola/additional?

TJ,

You're probably right about those picks not being enough, even though this is a deep draft. Besides, how would the numbers work? Would a #5 plus 2 mid-first rounders plus Lowry and/or Scola do it? The reports are that Lowry wants out of McHale's nuthouse.

How would you feel about a Bynum for Lowry/Scola/spare parts trade?
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:08 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:It will take a lot more then some 14-18 draft picks to get Dwight.

TJ,

You're probably right about those picks not being enough, even though this is a deep draft. Besides, how would the numbers work? Would a #5 plus 2 mid-first rounders plus Lowry and/or Scola do it? The reports are that Lowry wants out of McHale's nuthouse.

How would you feel about a Bynum for Lowry/Scola/spare parts trade?

It depends what the spare parts are.
If Houston could trade Dalembert and 2 of the draft picks to Sac for the #5, then trade the #5 along with Lowry and Scola to LA, that would be a good trade for LA.
Scola is a pretty good player but has a pretty lousy contract.
Houston is a hard team to figure out. Would they really make these trades and then make a huge offer for Dwight without a guarantee?
If they trade Kevin Martin in the D12 trade, they would have plenty of room to offer DWill a max contract.
The next couple of days should be interesting...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Bob and TJ,

You're both missing the bigger picture; the T-wolves also got draft rights to Lior Eliyahu.

I'm kind of surprised at both of you.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:56 pm

NYCelt wrote:Bob and TJ,

You're both missing the bigger picture; the T-wolves also got draft rights to Lior Eliyahu.

I'm kind of surprised at both of you.

NYCelt,

The Devil's always in the details, isn't he?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:52 pm

I may very well be in the minority but I don't get the Dwight Howard craze. Of the teams in play I can see him in Dallas making a difference but Brooklyn even with D. Williams doesn't scream NBA title and L.A. with Howard instead of Bynum and no pg or real salary relief is still the same team. I am not enamored with his "greatness" anyway. On a historical level he is not a top 10 center IMO and if he is so great why hasn't he been able, in a league that is bereft of true and talented centers, lead his team anywhere, one finals appearance notwithstanding. Lebron was bashed for joining Wade's team but lets turn it around. Howard is a "franchise" player playing in a beautiful, temperate city where there is a pretty good nightlife, not NY or LA but on par with any other city in the league, in a state with no state taxes, you would think that he would have no problem recruiting guys to come and play with HIM! I think that his desire to be in a "big market" to me is a red flag, esp when you consider that Houston is the 4th largest city in America AND is home to more corporate HQ's than any other city in the nation but yet he reportedly has no desire to be there, his choice and his right. His flip flopping and off court wanderlust along with his inability to lift talent around him (again my opinion) tells me that this is not a guy to build around, he is just another piece. No superstar was interested in coming to Cleveland to join Lebron but yet he was "wrong" for joining another superstar's team then I think the question begs to be asked why this other superstar (Howard) is not asked why can't he attract players to come live in a great city AND play with the most dominant big man in the game, teaming up to compete for title after title. If I'm Orlando I dump this guy like yesterdays paper because I don't believe that he can lead me to a title anyway. I don't think he has the alpha dog talent (Lebron) or heart (Kobe) to put a team on his back and carry them to a champinship.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:34 pm

willjr
I didn't research it but I would suspect that over the last 6 or 7 years the Magic have been at or over the salary cap limit and unable to pursue any elite players.
Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Swish,
You may very well be correct but we can look at both Miami and NY and see that if there's a will there's a way. Salary cap aside, my actual point is still "why is this guy being pursued and portrayed as a guarantee to a title. Again, in my opinion he is not a transcendental player, but in the hype driven league of today he is pushed and marketed (league pr and espn) as if he is. I guess perception IS reality. IMO unless you've got 2 or 3 stars to put with him he won't take you anywhere. Again, I think he lacks the talent or heart to LEAD a team to a title. That in no way means that I think he is untalented or heartless, just not enough of either.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 pm

willjr
Perhaps they have a better view of the entire picture then we do.
Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 pm

No doubt my friend. I'm sure the Majic have done or will do their due diligence for what's best for the franchise. On the off chance that they ask me, I would recommend they make the best deal possible and move on. If they can't get out of saalary cap hell this summer, which they probably can't, then why keep the guy surrounded by pretty much the same cast, be stuck again in mediocrity and watch him walk and get nothing in return. Make the deal with Houston for picks (if posibble) and attempt to either 1, follow the OKC model toward contention or 2, the Ainge model circa 2007, young talent and draft picks for established stars.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 pm

willjr

I think you nailed it. Time will tell as to the direction they take. Like the Celts, they have some big decissions to make over the next 3 weeks.
Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:39 pm

I'd love to see Dwight paired with Rondo but doubt that will ever happen. My ony concern with Howard is his back. Everyone seems to make light of it as an issue thinking surgery is a sure fire cure. I don't. Just ask Larry.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down