pete
Sam
gyso
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM Empty TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM

Post by 112288 Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 pm

I JUST WANTED TO REMIND ALL MEMBERS IN THE PATH OF HURRICANE SANDY TO BE CAREFUL AND TO USE CAUTION IF YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL........IF NOT STAY HOME WATCH PATRIOT FOOTBALL....WATCH THE NBA CHANNEL ...BUT ABOVE ALL BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT EVERYONE SAFE SO AS TO WATCH ANOTHER SEASON OF CELTIC BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOWN HERE ON LONG ISLAND/NORTH SHORE WE ARE PREPARING FOR THE WORST WITH EXPECTED MASSIVE AMOUNT OF TREES COMING DOWN AND WIDE SPREAD BEACH EROSION ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE/HAMPTONS AREA AND WIDE SPREAD FLOODING. THEY EXPECT WAVES TO BE 20FT. +

SAM ARE YOU EVACUATING OR STAYING HUNKERED DOWN ON CAPE COD?

BEST TO ALL!!!! 112288

Back to top Go down

TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM Empty Re: TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM

Post by gyso Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Take care, 112288.

Batten down the hatches!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:27 pm

GYSO,

IT'S GOING TO BE A DOOZEY!!!!!!

I TOLD ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WEAR TOUPEE TO EITHER STAY HOME....WEAR A HAT OR BUY GLUE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 pm

We have our own beach on Wellfleet Harbor. But we also have a thick, 12 foot seawell to protect the dune, and we're on a hill about 75 yards from the beach and 150 yards above it. So we're taking in deck furniture and stuff that could be wind victims, but otherwise we're just stocked batteries, milk, and booze and filled the cars with gas. This is pretty familiar stuff to us.

Good luck to everyone with the storm.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Sam,

You made the right choice for provisions.....booze! Now let's have a hurricane party!!!!!!!

As Jimmy Buffett said in his titled song...TRYING TO REASON WITH THE HURRICANE SEASON!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Be safe all of you who are in the path of this thing. I will be pulling for you!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks guys. Doesnt look too bad in Boston....but most local schools are closed just to keep the kids safe and school buses off the road with 60+ MPH winds.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Guess I Wasted my time the last few days raking leaves.............

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:43 am

Be safe all ya"ll right coast folks!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:08 am

beat wrote:Guess I Wasted my time the last few days raking leaves.............

beat

I held off and am now waiting for a little redistribution to some of my poorer neighbor's yards!! Leave warfare, man!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:26 am

Down here on Long Island just started to get some strong winds coming in. From my window Long Island sound is bubbling and just full of foam.

Gyso....about this storm...was it leaf expected?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am

Take care down there, 112288. We (or rather some guys we hired) just finished moving our beach steps from our seawall to the plateau well above the wall. We got all the deck stuff, including about 40 plants, inside yesterday. So we're ready for the storm, although my wife has to go to work. She's working about 40 hours a week (every morning and some evenings) as a home health aide for an older woman who has Parkinson's. She's going to take some overnight stuff with her, just in case she has to stay there overnight.

If I'm not on the board a few times today, it means we will have lost our power. That's always interesting. But we've got an indoor gas stove that doesn't need a vent and produced no carbon monoxide. Between the stove to warm our outsides and some adult beverages to warm our insides, we should be okay.

Good luck to everyone in the path of the storm.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 am

As long as we have power on Tuesday night we will be fine here! Batteries, just in case I have to listen to Sean Grande/Cedric Maxwell on the radio. Actually I will be listening to then anyway, it is a TNT game, don't listen to national reporters, it will be a Miami coronation game and I can't stand the thought of listening to them slobber all over themselves.

Be safe all who are in harm's way, and don't drink too much!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 am

Here is a link to the NOAA site.

Coastal Watches/Warnings and 5-Day Track Forecast Cone
Hurricane SANDY Advisory #029
11:00 AM EDT Mon October 29, 2012

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/092341.shtml?gm_track#contents

beat, it looks like Sandy is coming your way, take care!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:24 am

BETTER YET........BEAT, HAVE ONE FOR ME, I CAN'T DRINK ANYMORE!!!

ROSALIE
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 am

Rosalie,

Of course you can drink. You're just smart enough not to.

Stay warm and dry up there in Waltham.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 pm

gyso wrote:Here is a link to the NOAA site.

Coastal Watches/Warnings and 5-Day Track Forecast Cone
Hurricane SANDY Advisory #029
11:00 AM EDT Mon October 29, 2012

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/092341.shtml?gm_track#contents

beat, it looks like Sandy is coming your way, take care!!

gyso

To be bluntly honest I am not concerned. Schools have let out for the day (panic mode from the ED DEPT) it's not suppose to get too windy till much later this PM, Just got the kids in long enough to get the state aide which runs about $200+ per kid.

Even our local Ft Drum is letting people out early????

By the time Sandy gets to the Tug will be nothing out of the ordinarly. Some wind, lotta rain, at least you don't have to shovel rain!!

Got the generator, extra gas, lots of food. We will be fine. Probably lose power heck we almost always loose it if there is some wind. Might have to open the garage doors MANUALLY !! ERRRR

Guess what some people are pointing out is the strong wind gusts will be comming from the opposite direction from out prevailing winds. Saying that trees are not rooted as well when that happens as they are prepared for a prevailing wind with their root system. And if the soil gets saturated they could uproot and be blown over. At least most all the leaves are gone so there will be a lot less wind resistance.

Can't post them from work but Marcus played in a basketball tournament this weekend 6 games. Got some shots of his game vs Jamesville Dewitt. Thank goodness it was not there STATE CHAMPIONSHIP team but JD did have some end of the bench Varsity players and JV kids....... one of which is Jim Boehiem's kid. Jimmy was there and did about what he does when he's coaching. Fingers on his chin and nose. His kid is sort of small, not fast at all, a lefty with no right to speak of. But if you leave him open he can shoot very very well.

Marcus had an OK tournament, had a high game of 14 including 4 threes against Rome. Others he got anywhere from 2-8 points in. Drew at least 6 charges too and more if the refs would have called them all. Got some boards and played pretty well considering he looks so small out there at 6'1" . We have a pretty big team with a 6'6" kid and 2 6'5"kids. Team finished 2-4 as we had to go with 6 kids most of the time (2 got hurt) Ankle and a hammy strain. Marcus just got brused up a bit. Hopefully when they see his arms in school I won't get hotlined !!

SO bring on this blowhard they call Sandy, we on the Tug are ready. ( I think )

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:05 pm

I hope the pre-storm hype is, ahem, overblown, but if I understand correctly, this is three major storms that have come together and the whole thing is 1000 miles wide. That is one heckuva storm.

I know you East Coast folks deal with hurricanes and major storms on a semi-regular basis, but this one does look like a doozy. Stay safe, stay warm, stay dry, and best of luck on the power situation.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Sam-if you are around here, how are you doing? I saw pictures of Wellfleet and it looks like you are really getting whacked down there. We have lost power a couple of times but it has come back on within a couple of minutes.
Hope all is well with you and Mrs. Sam

Take Care and be safe

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Rosalie,

Thanks for asking. Still have power. High wind gust of 81—strongest on the Cape so far. Remarkably little rain. High tide's in about an hour and a half, but I hear the storm's now on its way out—although it will take its own sweet time. We keep watching our tall spruce trees bending but not breaking so far. All good. Looking forward to the Heat game.

Apparently there's a website where they tell how many homes in each Cape town are without power. capecodonline.com A friend just called and said our town (Wellfleet) has 100 outages and Provincetown has 400.

Hope you and everyone else are doing well.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Hang in Sam!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 pm

pete wrote:Hang in Sam!

Pete

hold on sam!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 am

To all living in the path of the storm - I hope you come through unscathed and have electricity. (Otherwise how are you going to watch the game tonight?)

Someone (a European apparently) once said, "In America, they don't have weather, they have disasters. Can't remember who it was but he was on to something there.

All is calm in Berlin and although I'll not be able to take in many games this year, I just can't miss tonight.

Bless you all.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 am

I don't know about others in the East, but we came through the storm with absolutely no trouble. The wind has become a gentle breeze. We had very little rain. We never lost power. There were substantial ocean swells which probably caused severe erosion on our ocean beaches, but we haven't checked them yet. We live on a salt water bay beach which has only tiny waves normally, and we're sure our sea wall protected the sand dune leading to our road and, on the other side of the road, to our house and cottage.

We do know (from the news) that the biggest problem may have come from falling trees. A number of cars in the Boston area were crumpled by trees. We have a friend in New Hampshire who had a tree fall on her house. She told us it was too dark to tell whether it tore a hole in her roof; but, if they had rain, I'm sure she found out quickly.

Despite these and many other incidents, my impression is that Eastern Massachusetts got off relatively easily. Apparently the storm hit New Jersey and New York City, came up through Connecticut (the major highways were closed there), and then turned inland (west) before hitting Massachusetts—an extremely unusual occurrence. Then, after the eye traveled south of Massachusetts, the storm turned back toward the ocean (east) through New Hampshire and Maine. It's as though God had relatives in Eastern Mass.

Guys like Cow (New Jersey) and gyso (Maine) are the ones to be concerned about as nearly as I can figure.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

Berlin

From what I read the eastern USA isn't alone in having bad weather. Maybe all is calm in Berlin, but France, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Russia, and China are experiencing unusual early snowstorms and severe cold. There's something in the sky, perhaps it's the Mayan dragon.

Steve3344 told us at the NYC playoff party that he lived in Manhattan (and never leaves, like Woody Allen). Hope he's okay. Not sure which part of the island he lives on, but the southern end got drownded.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next