beat
mrkleen09
pete
Sam
gyso
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM - Page 2 Empty Re: TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 am

Let us not forget 112288 on Long Island who most likely lost power. Hope he has a generator and gets to watch the game.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM - Page 2 Empty Re: TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM

Post by beat Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Cow posted a friends photo on facebook from NYC... not good at all.

As much as people said it was heading my way, sure appears to have missed us...... we got a little bit of rain and wind overnight but today is bright and sunny, a very fer power outages around the area but nothing widespread. Perhaps some rain later.

millions w/o power and probably won't get it back for a couple weeks. Been down that road before. At least it isn't in the dead of winter.

beat

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Alot of major damage in NYC, my family and our house is fine thanks all, alot of people in my town lost power, somehow somebody up there likes me.....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:54 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Alot of major damage in NYC, my family and our house is fine thanks all, alot of people in my town lost power, somehow somebody up there likes me.....

Everybody likes you, Cow, you're one of those type of guys...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:04 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Alot of major damage in NYC, my family and our house is fine thanks all, alot of people in my town lost power, somehow somebody up there likes me.....

Cow,

What part of NJ are you in?
I lived in North Jersey until I was 30, mostly in a town in Passaic County called Ringwood.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:25 pm

bob

Thanks you are too, you pit bull.....if your ever back in Flushing we should grab a bite.

tj

Cedar Grove

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 pm

We had a little wind and some rain last night. The power went off once, but only for a short time. There looks to be a nasty outer arm of the storm coming off the ocean soon, with thunder and rain starting around 4:00 PM and continuing throughout most of the night. The expected winds are in the high teens, so not too much to worry about.

Except . . . I have Dish Network and sometimes there is reception issues when there are tall cloud systems to the south and west of me.

gyso

PS: the dang center of this storm is still down by Pennsylvania and it looks to tract more through the great lakes into Canada. We have rain in the forcast for the next couple of days.

TO ALL MEMBERS SAM'S CELTIC FORUM - Page 2 Tropic10

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Glad to hear from those who made it through okay, but I'll feel better when everyone chimes in. Besides Gyso in Maine and 112288 on Long Island, doesn't Steve live in NYC? I'm sure there are others I can't think of at the moment.

Cow, I'm glad you made out all right. From what I can tell, your area took the brunt of the storm. It apparently made landfall in southern New Jersey, and the highest winds are to the right of landfall, which would be where you are. I'm sure there will be lots of people without power, not to mention literally tons of cleanup. Let's hope the weather stays good for a while.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by international Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Glad to hear that everybody is fine,i was worried because i have seen what kind of disaster a storm like that can cause.In my 52 years i have seen many of them.God bless all the members in this forum and also their families.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Hope everyone is doing just fine and getting ready for some kind of game tonight. I know these storms can be a downer but just know that I and my 82 degree sunny sky weather are thinking about all of you. Yes, I know, that's why I'm sending it your way. Wink
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 am

glad to see most have checked in and are ok..

hope all the rest are ok.

Im with Mulcogi though, sending that 70+ and sunny weather ya'll's ways in my thoughts...

Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks for the concern guys. Power went out at 8:30 Monday evening when the 14th Street Con Edison plant blew up. After one dark night with no TV or computer, no way to charge my cell phone without walking 30 blocks north to Times Square where they still had power and running out of food to eat that wasn't starting to rot in my warm refrigerator I decided to take a friend up on her offer to spend a few days in Philadelphia (actually South Jersey, right across the river from Philly) and get driven there Tuesday by a someone I've done lots of favors for. Made the decision to leave when they said it could be 4 or 5 days before power is restored since they have to get all the water out of the subway system and test all the cars and tracks first. So I got outta Dodge last night after enduring about 3 1/2 quarters of the Celtics/Heat game on a transistor radio. Glad I didn't actually have to SEE the horrible defense the Celts were playing but I could certainly imagine it hearing ESPN's play by play guys wet their pants over every Miami basket.
I notice the Lakers also stubbed their toe in game One, and they did it at home to a Mavericks team missing Dirk and Chris Kamen.

Will head back to civilization as soon as I know power is restored to my part of Manhattan. I feel like a fish out of water not being in NY. Not a happy camper but not willing to sit in the dark for nearly a week and eat crackers.

If Woody Allen lived in my part of town (Greenwich Village), he would've bailed too...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:20 am

Glad to hear you are safe and sound Steve. What a mess mother nature has dumped on us. As long all are safe and sound, everything else will fall into place.

I just couldn't listen to those guys last night, I shut down the voice and put on my Celtic radio coverage. The time delay drives my husband crazy so I usually sit alone to watch games nationally televised.

They came out and I thought maybe they were going to play decent, but the team just needs some time to get those defensive sets down and be more aggresive than they were last night.

Take care of yourself and enjoy your "mini" vacation away from the City

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:21 am

Steve,

I find the news about New York City to be mind-boggling. I gather than something like one-quarter of the subway system was under as much as eight feet of water, and I don't know how much of that was salt water which can cause corrosive damage. Two hundred homes burned in Queens. I saw large taxi parking lots with water well above engine level.

The one thing I didn't see was panic. I'm sure there was some (as well as some deaths), but what I saw was people instantly transitioning from normal life too ("...just doing what we have to do." I think New Yorkers are like no other people on earth. They have their quirks as do all of us. But, when the chips are down, they band together like a good basketball team and accomplish the impossible.

I've always said that, if the U.S. is ever attacked, the way to beat the enemy would be to make all our streets one way headed into New York City.

Hang in there, Steve.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 am

Steve

Glad your OK. the photos are mind boggleing to say the least. Up here we get our share of blizzards and lake effect snowstorms 3, 4, 5 feet of snow in a day or 2 at times but it stops, we clean up, and things are "normal" again, and the snow melts eventually.................. and our homes are still there.

Have a cousin that is a high level EMT and has gone down there to help. Worked 36 straight hours in an ER, rested a bit and is back at it again today. He posted yesterday that he has never seen anything like it.

I'll take a blizzard anyday.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:54 pm

I have a new project at work and it is in Co-Op City, which is in the Bronx. I am supposed to go there next week, Tuesday and Wednesday. We will fly into JFK and maybe fly out of LaGuardia. There are a bunch of us from my office visiting the site. I just heard about this this morning.

The powers that be in my office are debating if this trip can happen this soon, considering the mess down there.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 pm

gyso wrote:I have a new project at work and it is in Co-Op City, which is in the Bronx. I am supposed to go there next week, Tuesday and Wednesday. We will fly into JFK and maybe fly out of LaGuardia. There are a bunch of us from my office visiting the site. I just heard about this this morning.

The powers that be in my office are debating if this trip can happen this soon, considering the mess down there.

gyso

gyso,

Don't worry, the streets will be patrolled by gunboats.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:50 pm

sam wrote:Steve,

I find the news about New York City to be mind-boggling. I gather than something like one-quarter of the subway system was under as much as eight feet of water, and I don't know how much of that was salt water which can cause corrosive damage. Two hundred homes burned in Queens. I saw large taxi parking lots with water well above engine level.

The one thing I didn't see was panic. I'm sure there was some (as well as some deaths), but what I saw was people instantly transitioning from normal life too ("...just doing what we have to do." I think New Yorkers are like no other people on earth. They have their quirks as do all of us. But, when the chips are down, they band together like a good basketball team and accomplish the impossible.

I've always said that, if the U.S. is ever attacked, the way to beat the enemy would be to make all our streets one way headed into New York City.

Hang in there, Steve.

Sam

Sam, it was ALL saltwater which is tremendously bad for the electrical system in the subway. Some of the water down there is twelve to fifteen feet deep and wil probably take a week to get it all out, test all 6,300 subway cars and every inch of the approximately 500 or so miles of track before they can turn the power on to the areas of Manhattan that don't have power. I don't expect to be able to go home til after the weekend, Until then I'm being taken care of well by my college friend from Drexel here near Philly. Unwanted vacation but better than the alternative.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Steve,

Even worse than I thought!

I wonder whether all those marooned taxis I saw were also subjected to salt water or it was just rain water. Bad news either way, but I'm acutely aware of the damage salt water can do quickly.

Well I'm glad you have a safe place to stay. Stay dry and listen to music.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm

sam wrote:I wonder whether all those marooned taxis I saw were also subjected to salt water or it was just rain water. Bad news either way, but I'm acutely aware of the damage salt water can do quickly.
I think most everything in NYC is salt water inundation, not rainwater accumulation.

But a car in any type of water that high is toast. A few years back during an El Nino, a neighbor got stuck in an intersection when the flood control channels overflowed, and even though the water was half as high as what I saw in NYC, her car was totaled.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Steve,

If anything, I think the news is actually soft-peddling this. It's a major, major disaster that could cripple NYC and present danger for some time. I'm so sorry.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Years ago had a friend that sold cars..... cautioned me about "flood" cars as he referred to them. Salvaged from a flood, fixed enough to run.... for a while then problems began. Said whenever the deal was too good...........look for something else.

Nowadays with carfax and stuff like that it's a little tougher to do that.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 pm

Sad to see the destruction through lower Manhattan and down the NJ seaboard. I wish the best to all our friends affected by this storm.

One thing is certain about New Yorkers though; they are as resilient and capable as the citizens of any city.

Count on that area to come back better and stronger than ever.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:30 pm

How in the world are they going to have the marathon this weekend with so much going on?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2