sinus007
Sam
bobheckler
tjmakz
k_j_88
18 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers - Page 5 Empty Re: Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:21 pm

JEFF Van Gundy?  Yes.  Stan?  No f'in way.

George Karl?  Yep.  He has shown he can deliver while he builds.  The man is the reigning COY, fer Christ's Sake!

Lawrence Frank?  Yes.

Brian Shaw?  Sure.  Not as much as the other two since he has no head coaching experience, but he worked under Phil for years and had a very good rapport with the Laker players, both the dominant egocentric ones (no names necessary) as well as the more easy going ones like Pau.

I'd even be willing to consider an interim coach and try to lure Thibs back next year when his contract expires.  There must be some rumbling/grumblings in Chi-town how the Bulls haven't achieved the success they expected after getting Boozer and bringing in Thibs.  I'd love Thibs.  He lacks the Doc/Pop personal charisma/touch, but he is an excellent preparer, an excellent xs-and-os coach and is a defensive genius.

What we need, really, is another magnet.  A PLAYER that other players want to play with, like KG.  Sure, Doc was great at that too, but none of the above candidates will draw like Doc, we just have to accept that, and try to replace that particular non-quantifiable hole with a player and Rondo isn't enough.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers - Page 5 Empty Re: Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 pm

I pass on Del Nigro also, just don't like him.  Jeff Van Gundy is a smart guy, no nonsense kind of coach.  I could see him handling Rondo, his brother, NO.
No disrespect there, but after that fiasco in Orlando, I just do not think he is the right guy for the Celtics.  He is a smart guy, no doubt that though.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Also, do you possibly see Scal as an assistant.  I would assume they are going to clean house once this is over. Hill has been so loyal to Doc, yet they are saying he is taking Lue on his ride.  Kevin Eastman?  I do not know, but I would say they are all gone. They all have one year contracts, I believe, because Doc had said at the end of the year their contracts would be addressed..

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 pm

I agree about Vinny Del Negro. He may be a fine coach someday, but he needs to hone his craft in the NBA hinterlands for a while.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Rosalie,

I would like to see Scal continue as a broadcaster.  I could even see him as the heir apparent to Tommy.  I think he's insightful and humorous and does a great job.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Stan no
jeff Yes
vinny no
karl maybe
Shaw no
Frank maybe
Hollins yes
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi,
I'd say JVG is a good candidate. BTW, what was the last team he coached - NYK with PE?
Good idea about Tibs, but it's feasible only if Bulls repeat the last 2 years of playoffs.
Agree with others about Vinny - don't like him ever since Celtics - Bulls games in playoffs.
In general, I don't know who'll be a better coach: one who starts to build his own team or the one who uses what Doc had as a base and builds on top of it?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 pm

The last year JVG coached was 2006-07 in Houston.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm

NY Celt - agreed on all points.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Here's an excerpt from a Boston Globe article.  Chris Paul has to be re-thinking about re-signing with this team as long as Donald Sterling is still above ground.  The bold below is mine.

As for why things have stalled, league sources said the Clippers are just too wary of giving up assets, an attitude that stems from notoriously eccentric and frugal owner Donald Sterling.

One of the more puzzling aspects of the situation is that the Clippers were willing to offer assets that the Celtics would have accepted in a deal that turned out to be against league rules, but now the Clippers won’t offer those same assets in a deal that would be legal.

In the initial proposal, the Celtics had agreed to allow Rivers out of his contract in exchange for a first-round pick, and then it would trade Garnett to the Clippers for rising center DeAndre Jordan and an additional first-round pick.

Even though the teams were treating the moves as separate transactions, the league didn’t see it that way. Under NBA rules, a coach can’t be traded for a player, and there cannot be side deals, so the league told the teams it would block such a deal.
Once that happened, the teams had to go back to the drawing board — and that’s when the Clippers moved their focus solely to Rivers, although there was the possibility that Garnett and even Paul Pierce could join him in Los Angeles at some point.

Yet instead of offering a pick in the first round, the Clippers offered one in the second.

“They obviously got cold feet and they have just wasted everyone’s time,’’ a league source said. “Guess they will forever be the Clippers.’’

League sources have said the Clippers’ intentions were to never actually complete a deal — and thus part with assets and pay an expensive coach — but only give the appearance of trying to make one work to appease guard Chris Paul, who wants Rivers to coach the Clippers.

Paul, the Clippers’ point guard, is an unrestricted free agent this summer, and it is the Clippers’ top priority this summer is to re-sign him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5