sinus007
Sam
bobheckler
tjmakz
k_j_88
18 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers - Page 3 Empty Re: Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:23 am

I believe KG is owed 12 mill

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers - Page 3 Empty Re: Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I believe KG is owed 12 mill

Cow,

$11,532,468, to be precise.  2014, $12,000,000.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am

sam

You claiming I used the word stupidity is a figment of your imagination and I did use the word bright, my post was 5 words, no biggie.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

bobh,

KG's salary for next season (per both shamsports and HoopsWorld) is $12,433,735.  HoopsHype has $11,532,468.

All three sites agree that his salary for 2014/2015 is $12,000,000 and that it is not guaranteed.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:56 am

Cow,

Your "post" was actually TWO separate posts—first the one with the the "not bright" term and then the other with the "stupidity" term.  They added up to considerably more than five words.  It was definitely not my imagination.

Best regards.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Clips walk away from the deal.

Now what?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:27 pm

sam wrote:Cow,

Your "post" was actually TWO separate posts—first the one with the the "not bright" term and then the other with the "stupidity" term.  They added up to considerably more than five words.  It was definitely not my imagination.

Best regards.

Sam

sorry Sam I know exactly what I wrote and 112288 as my witness there was no word stupidity in there.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 pm

dBoss

I bet they get it done..............LA needs to get to the finals...........the Celtics are just that..........a rebuilding team with or without Doc.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:42 pm

I don't know about that, I guess Doc and Danny are meeting tomorrow.  Sounds as if Doc is truly considering leaving and going to the broadcast table.
I find it hard to believe that he would do this, but something just doesn't seem right about this whole thing.  

And the funny thing is, no one is mentioning KG, is he retiring and hasn't said anything yet?  Once the decision is made about what to do with Paul, I guess the dominos will start falling.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 pm

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOMETHING ON THIS WHOLE MESS.

Let's look at this whole time line. Here is the headline from Boston Herald.

Clippers denied permission to talk to Rivers - Thursday, June 13, 2013

From the Herald - According to a source, Celtics president Danny Ainge denied a request from the Clippers to talk to Rivers earlier this week. As reported in today's Herald, the Celtics coach is now said to be open to other coaching possibilities after initially saying he would either coach his team of the last nine years or take time off.

But Ainge has adamantly turned down all official outreach. He has now said no to two teams - the Nets and Clippers. A third team, Memphis, is also said to be interested in talking to Rivers, though that organization has not contacted Celtics management. ...

Ok that was Thursday.........and we get something going down on Saturday.................What gives................Who restarted the permission process............who pushed Danny's buttons to begin dialog??????  Was Doc pressing the issue behind the scenes.....was Danny playing possum................Setting Doc up for a big fall and egg on his face??????

HERE IS ANOTHER EXCERPT FROM CELTICS LIFE

Did Danny Ainge deny the Clippers the opportunity to speak with Doc Rivers? Did they even ask?

Updating an earlier story on the mutual interest between Doc and the Clippers, the Boston Herald's Mark Murphy is reporting that Ainge said "no" to LA:

According to a source, Celtics president Danny Ainge denied a request from the Clippers to talk to Rivers earlier this week.

However, the ESPN LA article from just hours before led with this line:

The Los Angeles Clippers have not formally requested permission to interview Celtics coach Doc Rivers in the wake of widespread reports about Rivers' potential departure from Boston...

On the other hand, this afternoon ESPN's own Chris Broussard wrote:

The Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Clippers asked for permission to speak with Rivers about their coaching jobs last month, but Ainge refused to grant it.

So to recap, the Clippers asked the Celtics to speak with Doc either last month, this week, or not at all.  Regardless, it appears they will not be talking to him any time soon.  And the saga continues...

FOR ME THIS IS GETTING WEIRDER BY THE MOMENT!

SO Now Doc is screwed.............he is no TV talking head for the NBA each night...........he wants to run practices............and coach!

Doc can comeback and probably be forgiven because he is on the surface just a good guy and everyone loves him. But him coming back will be on Danny's terms not Doc's.    I hope this teaches him and others who think they are bigger then the "team concept" which Doc preached in 2008, a lesson.

If he does not, Danny should let him twist in the wind for the next 3 years and let him eat his heart out every time he has to go on ESPN or TNT and not on a bench!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:37 pm

What does coming back on Danny's term mean?
Doc will still get his $7m this year.
What can Danny do to Doc now?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm

TJ,

Money is not the issue...............Doc is worth $20M + . It is now pride & ego.  Danny will let Rivers either endure the rebuilding of the Celtics or Doc sits in front of a camera doing analysis .............both of which Doc does not want to do!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 pm

If Boston is hell bent on rebuilding then Doc will will just collect his paycheck.
I don't see how Doc's day to day job changes at all.
Yes, Doc wanted to leave but being the highest paid coach for a rebuilding team isn't that bad of a deal. There won't be the scrutiny on him to win as there would be if he was coaching a championship caliber roster.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Correct! And Danny wins too....he gets Doc to coach! I just think got bad advice from whom ever advises him.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm

112288 wrote:Correct! And Danny wins too....he gets Doc to coach! I just think got bad advice from whom ever advises him.

Danny doesn't win if they waive Pierce and KG decides to retire.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm

TJ,

I don't know, I'm thinking this is one Danny takes a loss on regardless.  There's no way to sugar-coat it or see it in a positive light through my shamrock green glasses. Still, it's hard to be too critical because nobody bats 1.000 in these things.  This is just one Danny takes the "L" on; it happens.

Once this started to unfold the only way Danny and the Celtics win is if they at least walk away with Jordan in exchange for KG and letting Doc walk.  That way we would have the young center we need, while exchanging his contract for an aging KG's and allowing a coach who doesn't want to stay to move along, taking his big contract with him as well.  It's almost worse if KG, Pierce and, almost unthinkably, Doc, all return.  We'll be stuck in neutral, not a top tier contender, but not a team with the financial means to re-tool.

Right now, we're still holding onto a diminishing player and his contract is a burden.  On top of that we could end up with a coach that has a huge question mark hanging over him if Doc sticks around; kind of the walking dead of coaches in many players eyes, possibly a further turnoff to free agents or any player we might somehow be able to deal for as well.  Why commit to a team whose coach isn't committed to the club?  Pierce can still play, but his contract also prevents us from accomplishing much in the way of revamping the roster.

We can still scratch out progress from here, however, but it will be slow.  That is, unless something very unlikely happens and we can find takers for KG and Pierce.  We will quite probably at least find a new coach to start the rebuild, and that's not terrible.

We missed an unexpected opportunity to make a leap forward.  Danny probably will keep pushing and could end up pulling another rabbit out of his hat, who knows?  I figure it looked bleak in '07 and that turned out OK, so despite this dropped ball I'll stay optimistic.

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm thinking it's time for Danny to go.

He has botched the past few major moves for this team and there is no end in sight to his ineptitude.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Kj

Since the 2008 deals he has had more misses than hits. He has strapped the team down financially, His free agent signing have been average to below average. His drafts have been suspect..

Let us see what he does now.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:31 pm

kj,

I will say I would have jumped at the chance to swap KG for Jordan and move Doc out too.  I think Danny asked for far too much when The Clips were getting the short end of the deal as it was.  Terrible judgement there.

That being said, however, Danny has kept us contending for several years through an incredible rash of injuries by patching the team together with players he dug up from who-knows-where and who-knows-how.

Yes, he blew it big this time, but I strongly suspect he's going to be very active from here trying to make something happen.  He has to.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:37 am

Danny Ainge would have been thought of as a fool if he had taken Jordan and a single late first round pick for KG and Doc's release.  Danny is lucky that the Clippers blinked at the last moment.

Who of you really think that DeAndre Jordan is worth $24,747,455 for the next two years?  That would be his salary with the 15% trade kicker.  Talk about an untradeable contract!!

From CelticsBlog:

mmmmm, from What is Value? wrote:
What, exactly, can Jordan realistically improve on?
He’s not going to get much more athletic than he already is. So the dunks and blocks and rebounds are probably going to stay about the same.
He could learn to play a little better on help & P&R defense – those are still weaknesses, and there is no reason he couldn’t improve with them.
But just don’t have any hope he’ll ever, EVER improve that horrible shooting form. He will likely never have any offensive game that is farther than 3 feet from the basket. And he will likely always be a miserable, 40% FT shooter.
He will never be a 30 minute player. He will never be someone you want on the floor in the 4th quarter or OT.

mmmmm, from Celtics may be willing to accept two draft picks instead of cap savings wrote:
Historically, the value of the 25th pick
Star: 5%
Solid Starter: 5%
Role Player: 25%
Deep Bench: 50%
Bust: 10%
DNP: 5%

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

That’s fairly representative of what you can expect of any mid-late first round pick.
Basically, one of those picks has a 65% chance of being no better than a deep bench player.
And only a 10% chance of being at least starter quality or better.

smamtheking, from Celtics may be willing to accept two draft picks instead of cap savings wrote:
I don't get the sense of desperation by Danny to do this deal
nothing about this deal is a winner for the C’s.
- Jordan is a very flawed player without much to point to in terms of potential left to realize.
- There’s no Bledsoe to use as a chip in a subsequent deal.
- Butler is not the player he once was — he’s an expensive back up to Jeff Green and he’s a much more expensive contract than either JET or Lee (although shorter).
- Whether we get the 2013 or 2014 pick, it’ll still be a late pick in the draft. Although 2014 is expected to be a really good and deep draft, it’ll still be at a point where we’ll be fortunate to get a end-of-rotation player.
- a 2017 pick would only be helpful if CP3, Griffin and the key piece they get for trading Bledsoe to someone else is gone after 2016, the Clips take a nosedive, that pick is unprotected so that it won’t flip to a second rounder AND that draft isn’t weak at the top like this draft.
I’d rather run it back with this group one more year and see if a healthy Rondo/Sully, an improved Green and a hopefully returned-to-normal year for Lee, JET and Bass gets us better results.
I do not enjoy the thought of having to watch Jordan brick FTs all season and lose us games.

celticd, from Celtics may be willing to accept two draft picks instead of cap savings wrote:
Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers - Page 3 Lucky_small

clippers doin the celtcs dirty.
dj’s main relevance in the entire trade is his unreasonably high contract to make the numbers work. yes he has talent, but that talent is overpriced, and he does the same thing as chris wilcox who the celtics can keep payin in veteran minimum contracts. the only difference is dj is younger, but i wouldnt pay someone an extra 11-12M just for bein younger.
then the clippers are bein stingy wit their already whack draft picks, and eric bledsoe knowin very well he’s the real prize in all of this.
then the clips keep talkin about absorbing lee or terry’s contract like they’re only doin the celtics a favor. yes i agree terry becomes redundant wen u have crawford but courtney lee could be of good service to the clippers as their starting 2 if chauncey doesnt wanna return (there were rumors he was interested in miami?).
then if the trade goes down the celtics will likely waive pierce where he’ll likely go to the clippers for the MLE. so its like they’re trading Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Doc Rivers for Deandre Jordan and 2 late first round picks.
overall i think its a whack trade where the clippers are tryna buy a gold bar wit a silver coin and a couple of bronze ones. im all for rebuilding but nah this isnt a gud deal to me. if this is the only offer the celtics have, i’d rather run it back.

mmmmm, from Celtics may be willing to accept two draft picks instead of cap savings wrote:
No. Even Shaq looked like Ray Allen at the FT line compared to Deandre Jordan.
You guys just aren’t really grokking how historically bad he is.
Shaq was a ‘bad’ FT shooter, but at least shot well above 50% - often around 60%. That’s bad. But not a total liability.
Jordan has consistently been around a 40% FT shooter most of his college and NBA career. He did pop up to 52% one season – but that was based on a relatively small number of shots. He got hot for a stretch. He dropped back to 39% last year.
This is not just ‘bad’. This is atrocious.

gburtona, from Celtics may be willing to accept two draft picks instead of cap savings wrote:
Jordan’s woes at the foul line only adds to the already existing problem with Rajon Rondo. Rondo is amont the worst free throw shooters for his position which would give Boston two liabilities late in games.
Boston often got away with it by having Pierce be the primarily ball handler in late game sets but that may not be an option going forward.
It makes simple things such as inbounding the ball tougher because the oppostion knows the Celtics don’t want Jordan or Rondo at the line.
Not to mention losing KG as he is a great foul shooter and presents the option of shooting or passing to a teammate which Jordan does not possess.
Avery isn’t a great option either as his poor ball handling and often atrocious playmaking skills make him better off the ball instead of facilitating the offense.
The prospects of potential closing game lineups without KG and/or Pierce is a frightening thought…

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 am

I found this on CelticBlog:

Celtics in trade talks to send Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett to Clippers - Page 3 Keep_c10

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:34 am

NYCelt, 

This was the only year where injuries truly decimated the roster beyond contention. From what I've seen, Ainge traded away pieces that made Boston a fearsome defensive squad. He didn't pick up a true PG this year to play behind Rondo.  

gyso,

Danny missed opportunities to pick up Josh Smith, D Jordan, and Eric Bledoe but he made no moves by the trade deadline. Thus, the rebuilding process is in the midst of procrastination, and they could lose PP and KG without getting value for them.

They need a new GM.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 am

K_J,

Other than Kendrick Perkins, which players that Danny Ainge traded away had previously helped make the Celtics a "fearsome defensive squad? Losing players like James Posey and Tony Allen to free agency involved a completely different dynamic from trading them away.  (And where is Posey now?)

I believe there are factors much more relevant than Danny's trades in leading to defensive deterioration.  Rajon Rondo was part of what made the Celtics a fearsome defensive squad, but he seems to have regressed in that area through no fault of Danny.  KG, while remaining one of their best defenders, has lost some spring and a step due to age.  Paul Pierce once could come up big defensively—and did so in many big games; but he can't really do that any longer.

One could say that Danny brought in a defensive liability in Jason Terry, but that move was intended to replace a defensive liability named Ray Allen, who also walked via free agency.

On the positive side of the ledger, Danny took a flyer on Avery Bradley, who has given the Celtics defense a dimension they've possibly never had in their history (although K.C. Jones or even Dennis Johnson might disagree).  And it seems that Perk has also regressed as a defensive stalwart; to say nothing of the fact that the book is not at all closed on whether Jeff Green is becoming an excellent defensive asset.  Even the much-maligned Brandon Bass has turned into a pretty good defender.  Danny also added Courtney Lee, who is a more-than-satisfactory defender.

Defense (especially the kind of team defense played by the Celtics) is very much a function of energy and effort.  And what has drained this team of defensive energy and effort has very largely been the huge egg too often laid by the offense—a condition that has been fermenting for several years.

What really gets the home crowd into the "Defense" frenzy is frequently an inspired offensive play.  Similarly, the players are also motivated by an inspiring offensive possession to dig in on defense; that's what is often the foundation for runs.  Conversely, less inspired offense often begets less inspired defense.  I'd say the Celtics offense has definitely been going in the "less inspired" direction for quite a qhile.

The long and short of it is that I believe a combination of (1) advancing age with (2) underperforming offense and (3) the wholesale but necessary addition of so many new players to the system this past season has been more important than Danny's trading activities in eroding the defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 am

K_J_88,

Please describe the opportunities we missed to pick up Josh Smith.  Who would we have traded to get that knucklehead?

My post above describes the many reasons to take a pass on DeAndre Jordon.  I suggest that you re-read some of those in order to fully understand his strengths and weaknesses in order for you to understand why I am glad this trade fell through.

Eric Bledsoe?  When did that opportunity occur?  He was snapped off the table quicker than a table cloth in a magic show.

We don't need a new GM.  Danny has had his share of hits and misses, but he was under extreme pressure to make a roster while dealing with the modern salary cap.  The problem with the Celtics (especially last season) was health, not Danny.

I'll let mmmmm from CelticsBlog explain:

mmmmm, from Where do the Celtics go from here? Post failed deal fallout wrote:
Spurs youngsters
the only real difference between what the Spurs have done with gathering young talent and what the Celtics have done is stay healthy.
The C’s, through high value, high upside picks outside the lottery and the Perkins trade have at least 4 young pieces, Green, Rondo, Avery & Sully who are all top-tier young talents who are good enough to start on any good team. [They may or may not have a 5th in Fab – but the jury is still way out on him.]

The problem for us in the comparison with the Spurs – is that every one of our 4 young studs has missed extended time in the last 3 years.

If those guys had been healthy throughout the last 3 years? Folks would have a very different view on things right now.

If they stay healthy going forward? That’s a great core to build around.

Needs a solid young 7 footer though. :-D

One can otherwise sit and pick out anecdotal cases one way or another.

Ultimately, I look over the Spurs roster and I see, of the top 10 players by minutes played this season, 5 of them were over 30 and 5 were between 21 and 28.

On the Boston roster, of the top 10 players by minutes played, 4 of them were over 30 and 6 were between 20 and 27.
The biggest difference is that on the Celtics’s roster, the total minutes of 3 of the young players (Avery, Rondo & Sully) were clipped to under 1500 minutes each because of extended time injuries. That forced some of those top 10 minutes onto some of the older players.
On the Spurs, their young studs managed to play all or most of the games of the season, lightening the load a little on the older guys.

Our roster is just as dependent on young players for it’s main rotation as the Spurs. Our top 7 players right now by importance would include Rondo, Green, Bradley, Sully & Bass — all between ages 20 and 27. The thing that killed us this year is we didn’t have all those guys healthy and productive at the same time but for a tiny sliver at mid-season

“before the injuries hit” <—- that is a time that never was.

Avery started the season on the inactive list and didn’t play until January. He’s a starter, if you recall. And one of our 5 most talented players.

Green was ‘active’ but pretty obviously not fully recovered from his long rehab until mid season. So he might as well have been absent in the first half. But he clearly, in the second half, showed that he is one of our most talented and important players.

Wilcox spent most of the Fall with a back injury followed by a thumb injury that never fully healed and so was also set way back in his own rehab from heart surgery. He is not as important as Bradley or Green, but his absence really hurt the team in the first half.

It is complete mythology to suggest that this team was ever ‘before the injuries’ last year.

And just when we got Avery back and Green finally started to play well, we lost Rondo & Sully – two starters. And then Barbosa, a top rotation player when he went down.

Basically almost the whole season was played with out at least TWO of our top 6 players missing all the time.

I agree that there will probably indeed be changes to the roster before the summer is over. But even without changes, it would be impossible to put the same team back on the court next year because the team we have on roster right now never played together last year.

Bradley and Green are part - critical parts - of our 'core' though.
You don’t win with 3 or 4 players. Isn’t that the point of the Spurs model that everyone is in love with (me too, btw)? If you don’t have a ‘Big 3’ of uber elite like Miami, then you need a solid core of 6 talented players to win.

We never had more than 4 of our 6 most talented players (PP, KG, RR, JG, AB, JS) healthy and productive all season (except for a tiny handful of games in early January).

If San Antonio had to go half the season without Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard, and then the second half without Splitter and Neal – how well do you think they would have faired?

As you said, injuries truly decimated the roster beyond contention.  As it was, it was mostly our younger guys that occupied the injured list.  Danny cannot be blamed for that.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 am

gyso great posts, I'm feeling it was a blessing not to get D Jordan, were eventually gonna need money to sign AB and Sully if they show they can improve and stay on the floor.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next