Sam
steve3344
8 posters

Go down

PRE & POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME Empty PRE & POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Pregame: Bynum the center of attention - Bynum suspended by Cavs

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- The Cleveland Cavaliers' suspension of Andrew Bynum provided a caffeine jolt on a sleepy Saturday morning before the team's matinee with the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

The Cavaliers suspended Andrew Bynum indefinitely on Saturday for conduct detrimental to the team and it appears he's headed to the trade block.

Bynum was suspended indefinitely Saturday for conduct detrimental to the team. He did not travel with the team to Boston, but the news reverberated in both locker rooms.

From the Celtics perspective, coach Brad Stevens suggested Bynum's absence might help the Cavaliers.

"I think Bynum is a really good player. I think when I’ve watched them, they’ve been better without him on the court in a lot of cases," said Stevens. "That doesn’t mean they haven’t been good with him on the court, in a lot of cases, and it’s certainly nothing against him, but what it does is impacts their defense in a way where they are a little bit more aggressive with a guy like [Anderson] Varejao. And then in our [first] game, I thought Varejao was one of the better bigs that played."

Boston posted a lopsided win in the team's first meeting last month with Jared Sullinger often taking advantage of Bynum's reluctance to step outside to the 3-point line. The Cavaliers will start Varejao and bring a little extra defensive tenacity to that spot.

"I love Varejao," said Stevens. "I think he’s a consummate pro. He plays hard. You know what you're getting every single night. I think he’s a guy that’s been there and done that, that a lot of young players can learn from. He’s not historically an All-Star, or he’s not in the discussion when people talk about the best of the best, but if they had a ranking for most consistent, I bet you they would. I understand and can see why he’s such a highly valued member of their organization."

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown did his best to tip-toe around the Bynum suspension before Saturday's game. Peppered on the length and how the team will proceed with Bynum, he simply went into repeat mode while noting, "I’m not trying to be funny, but everybody knows what indefinite means."

It's when he talked about the rest of his roster that maybe his most condemning comments on Bynum emerged.

"We’ve got 14 guys in our locker room that are really focused and determined and ready to take on any challenge that’s in front of them," said Brown. "They are great guys, focused guys, and they know how to play the game the right way and that’s what I'm focused on, just helping those guys win ballgames."

Later, when asked if he was disappointed in the Bynum situation, Brown added, "I’m worried about the guys in the locker room. It’s simple as that. In our business there are a lot of ups and a lot of downs throughout the season. So what you do as a head coach is keep moving forward. Any time you look back on anything or dwell on anything, it's wasted energy from the guys in the locker room, which is obviously very important."

Stevens noted that sometimes a team can find a spark in a situation like the one facing the Cavaliers.

"Obviously, for [Bynum's] sake and their sake, I hope that in the long term it gets him back, but a lot of times in a case like this, teams play really well coming off something like this," said Stevens. "We’re going to have to be really good today and I don’t think that impacts them in any way that would be considered a negative from their standpoint."
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rapid Reaction: Celtics 103, Cavs 100

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- Rapid reaction after the Boston Celtics defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers 103-100 on Saturday afternoon at TD Garden:

THE NITTY GRITTY
Jeff Green and Jordan Crawford each scored a team-high 19 points to pace six Boston players in double figures. Both Green and Avery Bradley (18 points) were active on the glass, finishing with a team-best eight rebounds apiece. Kyrie Irving became the first player to score 30+ points against the Celtics this season, putting up a game-high 32 points while fueling Cleveland's fourth-quarter comeback. Dion Waiters added 17 points, but was denied by Brandon Bass on a late drive to help Boston emerge with the win.

TURNING POINT
The Celtics opened the game up a bit in the second quarter while running with a lineup featuring Jared Sullinger and reserves. Courtney Lee, 10 points in the first half, hit consecutive 3-pointers and Boston's lead doubled to 12 (38-26) with 7 ½ minutes to play in the quarter. The Cavaliers would get as close as six later in the frame, but an aggressive Green helped push it to a first-half best 15 points before the intermission. That lead ballooned as high as 22 in the second half before the Cavaliers made a late-game charge...

FENDING THEM OFF AT FINISH LINE
The Celtics were up 19 entering the fourth quarter, but Cleveland chipped away, clawing within two in the final minute (all while the Celtics looked like they were trying to kneel out the clock; firing a couple airballs that led to 24-second violations). Bass blockeds Waiters on a late drive and, the Cavaliers got another chance to force overtime on a final possession, but Earl Clark couldn't get off a shot while blanketed by Bradley.

LOOSE BALLS
Bass connected on only his second career 3-pointer during a late-clock scramble early in the third quarter. This just a month after making his first career triple against the Cavaliers. Bass is now 2-for-18 beyond the arc for his career. ... Bass finished with 15 points on 5-of-8 shooting with six rebounds, four assists, and two blocks.

WHAT IT MEANS
The Celtics, coming off a five-day break, snapped a three-game losing streak while moving to 13-15 overall. Boston gets two more days off before hosting the Atlanta Hawks in another matinee on New Year's Eve. Things jump up soon after with a stretch of seven games in 10 days, which includes six games on the road including a five-game trip out west.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

FAST BREAK: BRANDON BASS, CELTICS HOLD OFF CAVALIERS’ CHARGE

WEEI

By Ben Rohrbach  

Still without Rajon Rondo to execute the offense down the stretch, the Celtics nearly blew another double-digit lead in the fourth quarter, but a balanced scoring attack helped stave off the Andrew Bynum-less Cavaliers, 103-100.

Jeff Green (19 points, 8 rebounds), Jordan Crawford (19 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists), Avery Bradley (18 points, 8 rebounds), Brandon Bass (15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists), Courtney Lee (11 points) and Kris Humphries (10 points) all reached double figures to help the Celtics snap a three-game losing skid and improve to 13-17 — half a game behind the Atlantic Division-leading Raptors.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

JG’s hot start: As always seems to be the case against Cleveland, it was evident early that this was a game in which Green was invested. In the first quarter, he scored 12 points on six shots, sinking both of his 3-point attempts, to stake the Celtics to a 24-22 lead in the first 12 minutes. Green scored a season-high 31 points against the Cavaliers a month ago.

Balance beaming: Through three quarters, seven Celtics scored between eight and 17 points (led by Green and Crawford), six C’s had between three and six rebounds (led by Green and Kelly Olynyk) and five C’s had between two and five assists (led by Crawford). This was Brad Stevens basketball at its best, resulting in an 85-66 lead on 52 percent shooting through three.

Big Bass: After struggling since the recent Omer Asik trade rumors, including a scoreless effort against the Timberwolves two weeks ago and a 2-of-9 shooting performance against the Pacers last weekend, Bass bounced back to the form we’ve grown accustomed to from him this season. Or better. He scored 15 points on eight shots, including his second career 3-pointer, grabbed six boards and matched a career-high with four assists. He also made the game-saving block on Dion Waiters in the final seconds.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Crash test fail: Gerald Wallace remains without a double-digit scoring night this month with only one game left in December. He’s reached double figures just twice this season, and his minutes per game have rightfully dipped below 20, including a season-low nine off the bench on Saturday. Only two years and $20.2 million left on that contract, though. Perhaps Lee’s recent complaints about playing time were warranted, considering his superior production in fewer minutes.

Watching the paint dry: The Celtics continue to get abused in the key, getting outscored in the paint by double digits and allowing 20 second-chance points on 10 offensive boards. Hence, Danny Ainge‘s recent interest in the Asik sweepstakes. It could be interesting to monitor Bynum’s contract, which is non-guaranteed this season until Jan. 7. Whatever detrimental conduct he did to deserve an open-ended suspension from the Cavaliers, 26-year-old 7-foot former All-Stars don’t come on the open market too often.

Fourth-quarter woes: The Celtics continued to watch leads evaporate in late-game situations, as a lead as large as 22 dipped to eight with six minutes remaining. Cleveland’s backcourt of Kyrie Irving (32 points) and Waiters alone outscored the C’s 13-9 in the first half of the final quarter. The Cavs further sliced the lead to two in the final minute, but Bass’ block of Waiters helped prevent overtime.

Back to top Go down

PRE & POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME Empty Re: PRE & POST GAME CLEVELAND - HOME

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:36 pm

ALL I CAN SAY IS KEEP PRACTICING CELTICS!

SHOULD NOT HAVE ENDED THAT CLOSE...........DISCOURAGING!

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Surprising and quick ending to his stint in Cleveland:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--cavaliers-to-likely-part-ways-with-andrew-bynum-174107398.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:40 pm

After the game, Brad was asked if he could comment on the recent tendency of the Celts to get a big lead only to blow it. His response? "Not going to worry about it. We just need to find ways to win." I don't know about that one, Brad. I'd say finishing games when you have a substantial lead is one of the best ways to win.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:44 pm

It's interesting (at least to me) that Brandon Bass leads all Celtics—by a wide margin—in blocked shots this season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:58 pm

The bench really helped in this one. Both Humphries and Lee in double figures and Olynyk with 7 rebounds (though not much else). The starters were a collective +3, while the bench was at zero. I take it as a good sign when the starters and the bench are reasonably close in productivity.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Another get the car into the lead and then coast towards the finish line and hope the lead holds up. It did. BARELY.

Was at the game with the family in a luxury box (got a great deal on Living Social) and had a great time. Dad yelled at the Refs, Mom loved the private bathroom, My sister had two orders of Nachos and my wife told me check Twitter over and over to see what Tommy had to say.

Then to the North End for Pasta and Vino. Good Day.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 am

MRK

WHAT A GREAT DAY!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:41 am

Sounds super, Mrkleen.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:53 am

Mrkleen

What a wonderful experience.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:57 am

Sam

Bass has been really solid at both ends all year. We seem to overlook his contributions during our periodic trading ideas.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24 am

The Celtics blew an 18 point lead.  Fortunately, they started with a 21 point lead.  This was against Cleveland, without Bynum.  Oh well, let's take the Ws while, where and when we can.

One difference between the Celts and the Cavs was the balance of the scoring.  We had 6 players in double-digits and they only had 4, with Kyrie Irving doing most of the damage.

1.  Bass was, I believe in everybody's opinion, the star of this game.  He did everything.  15 points on 5-8, 1-1 from 3 (and, unlike his first career 3 pointer, he actually shot this one like he does a regular shot.  This wasn't just a heave), 6 rebounds (4 of them offensive), 2 blocks including the BIG one at the end.  No-Pass Bass also had 4 assists and only one TO.  Bass was absolutely magnificent yesterday.  I like Hump, I really do, but I hope Bass isn't the one who goes.  The man is a quiet leader on this team.

2.  There is nobody on the Cavaliers who can handle Jeff Green.  He knows it and went out and attacked yesterday.  19 points on 5-12, 8 rebounds (YEAH, Jeff!!) and 2 steals.  I'm expecting another game or two like this and then a 4 game hibernation.

3.  Jordan Crawford had a very good game.  He also made some of the most bone-headed decisions we've seen this year by anybody.  How does that old nursery rhyme go?  "When he's good he's very good and when he's bad he's awful"?  19 points on 7-11, 3-5 from 3 is very good.  5 assists and 3 TOs isn't that good but those 3 TOs were absolutely eye-popping bad.  Between him and Jeff Green I think we have two of the most frustrating and baffling players I've ever seen in green.  Both are highly talented, both have strong motivations to excel and both of them are ridiculously unstable and unpredictable.  At one point, the Cavs went from small-ball to micro-ball and had Jarrett Jack guarding Jeff Green.  Green was setting up in the low block and was calling for the ball (GOOD ONE, JEFF!).  Jack, to his credit, was doing everything except using a Ford 350 to try and move Green out a few more feet away from the block.  For some reason, Crawford didn't immediately dump the ball in to Green.  By the time he did, Jack succeeded in moving Green off his spot.  This happened more than once, both times Crawford not feeding Green quickly in the block.  One of Crawford's problems, as a point guard, is that he has sticky fingers.  Because of that, he doesn't get the ball to his teammates in their sweet spots like Pressey does.  If Pressey could shoot, he'd be awesome.  I didn't watch him in college, so I don't know if he can shoot, but he has point guard instincts and timing.  Crawford has good court vision and decent instincts but he doesn't have the timing.  That's because he wants the ball too much and, by the time he lets go of it, the moment is past.

3.  For a player who had NO mid-range game for years Hump has done a fabulous job developing one.  I am completely comfortable with him taking shots.  He doesn't take bad ones, he doesn't take ones that are beyond his range or that are heavily contested, he just takes (and hits!) his open opportunities.  His career fg% is 46.8%.  His fg% this year, including his significantly greater number of mid-range shots, is 55.7%.

4.  Courtney Lee shot 4-11.  That's not very good, is it?  Yet, I really liked his game.  He was aggressive, he attacked.  One of those misses was a layup that he missed after rubbing his man off a pick and getting to the rim.  That's what we need.  Aggressive play.  Take it inside.  Make them play defense, make them come up with the big play.

5.  Kyrie Irving is Allan Iverson 2.0.  He is a lot of fun to watch, especially when we win.  When MJ was playing, I'd watch him go off on opponents and be unstoppable.  He'd just do whatever he wanted and make outrageous shots and I'd watch him and I'd just exhale and my shoulders would slump.  It was a "what the hell do we have to do to stop this guy?" frustration response.  That's what I was doing with Irving yesterday.  He'd make some acrobatic shot in traffic among the big trees and I felt the air being leaked out of my protoplasmic balloon.  The star of the NBA for the next 8 years minimum, ladies and gents.

6.  Tristan Thompson was the #4 pick in the draft.  Another reason why tanking and "Riggin' for Wiggins" is stupid.  I know Thompson is only 22 years old, but I just don't get what people like about him.  

7.  And as long as we're talking about how the draft is a crap shoot, how can we not talk about Anthony Bennett?  Mike Gorman, yesterday, said that during the pre-season the Cavs coaching staff kept calling time outs after Bennett made a mistake or two to reassure him that "he really is a player".  I've never heard of a professional athlete that insecure in their abilities.

8.  Dion Waiters is another player, like Crawford, who isn't afraid to shoot.  I don't know why they benched him, Lord Knows CJ Miles didn't do anything yesterday (or the last game we played them either), but he is explosive.  Tyler Zeller with 10 rebounds in 22 minutes, 4 of them offensive.  I think Zeller and Olynyk had a deal going; "you forget to box me out and I'll forget to box you out".  Jarrett Jack is an excellent backup point guard, one of the best in the league.  A starter?  Probably not, but an excellent 2nd unit point guard.

9.  Bradley wants $8M/year.  Bradley is playing like he deserves $8M/year.  He has turned into quite the offensive threat.  8 rebounds, 3 offensive.  He's all over the place and, you can see, when the going gets tough he wants to shoot.  A MAJOR step forward in his evolution.  One brain fart, though.  With the clock running out, after Bass' big block at our end, there were two Celtics under the basket and Bradley didn't pass it to them.  Instead, he pulled it back, got fouled and went to the line.  Up by two, he could have iced it with 2 ftm, but he only got one, making it a 3 pt game and still within reach for the Cavs.  Give the ball to your teammates, Avery.  Their dunk would have made it a two possession game and that's worth leaving a few extra seconds on the game clock.  Happily, all's well that ended well.

10.  They killed us inside with 40 points in the paint vs only 28 for us.  Our 12 fast break points out did their 7, but those fast break points don't include points-in-transition, which is where I think we really excel.  83 fgas yesterday is decent, albeit not great, pace.

We won.  It was an exciting game, more exciting than it should have been.  I agree with Sam, getting and holding big leads is the best way to win, and we're not (or barely) doing that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:34 pm

A win is a win, even against a bad team.

A few observations...

1. Boston has solid scorers, 6 managed double figures on Saturday.

2. Kelly Olynyk is trying harder to make his presence felt. He's playing with more physicality and it helped.

3. They still can't hold a lead.

4. Ball movement is easily correlated to their level of success. At some points, guys were just standing around watching, and that typically ended is a contested shot that the other team could grab the easy rebound and score at the other end. Stevens has to keep his guys moving.

KJ

k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:52 pm

KJ good observation about Kelly.  I noticed that too.  He is starting to bang a little more and also go after the ball instead of standing around playing with his hair.

Bob, I think you may be wrong about KH.  I thought he always had a solid mid range game on offense.

And I agree totally with you regarding Bradley.  I think $8 mill per year is a very reasonable salary for him.  I read where DA only offered him $6.  Of course we do not know if that is true however, AB is becoming better and more consistent every game.  He is shooting lights out, rebounding better and continues to be a pain in the butt on D for opposing players.  His scoring average is up to 14 PG and in the month of December it is up to 16 PG.  By the end of the year $8 million may seen like a bargain.  How many 2 way guards are in this league that are 23 years old?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:35 pm

dboss wrote:KJ good observation about Kelly.  I noticed that too.  He is starting to bang a little more and also go after the ball instead of standing around playing with his hair.

Bob, I think you may be wrong about KH.  I thought he always had a solid mid range game on offense.

And I agree totally with you regarding Bradley.  I think $8 mill per year is a very reasonable salary for him.  I read where DA only offered him $6.  Of course we do not know if that is true however, AB is becoming better and more consistent every game.  He is shooting lights out, rebounding better and continues to be a pain in the butt on D for opposing players.  His scoring average is up to 14 PG and in the month of December it is up to 16 PG.  By the end of the year $8 million may seen like a bargain.  How many 2 way guards are in this league that are 23 years old?

dboss

He's also averaging six rebounds a game his last six games.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Dboss,

I don't agree. Bass represents what I think is great value. Arguably more value at his position than anyone else on the team other than Rondo. Good trades involve trading value for value, not trying to snooker the other team. Brandon represents great value, and I suspect he hasn't yet reached his peak. A willingness to consider trading him has nothing to do with underestimating his value. It has everything to do with recognizing his value.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Realistically, if Boston is to acquire an elite player, they'll have to trade someone. The only other decision left is who.

I understand that watching this team playing so hard this year can easily cause some instances of attachment. Personally, I didn't like the Bass+Lee for Asik deal for multiple reasons. Perhaps Boston can work another deal in the future at not so steep a price as I don't know if Asik is even durable.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:46 am

steve3344 wrote:
dboss wrote:KJ good observation about Kelly.  I noticed that too.  He is starting to bang a little more and also go after the ball instead of standing around playing with his hair.

dboss

He's also averaging six rebounds a game his last six games.

hes tearing up the offensive boards too

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 am

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:29 am

Bradley highlights:

bob