Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now

+3
Sam
bobheckler
kdp59
7 posters

Go down

Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now Empty Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:10 pm

they'll probably be fast and furious over the next three days...but here's some rumors today

http://nesn.com/2015/02/report-celtics-had-exploratory-trade-talks-about-ty-lawson-with-nuggets/

Another Celtics’ big man rumor floating around during All-Star weekend has been their pursuit of All-Star DeMarcus Cousins. There is no indication he’s available from the team, but the speculation has been he and George Karl won’t work together and Karl wants to play faster without a low post center. So Boston is rumored to give it a try. Hey, who thought they would get Kevin Garnett? NBA.com

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Sacramento Kings, Trade, DeMarcus Cousins
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.qE4PP7qE.dpuf

Enes Kanter: The Jazz’ young big man has been losing playing time to Rudy Gobert, who’ll come much cheaper. Kanter is a free agent and the Jazz has locked up Gordon Hayward, Alec Burks and Derrick Favors. He said he’d like to be traded. The Celtics have been most rumored chasing big men and the Bucks are said to be interested as well. NBA.com

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Milwaukee Bucks, Utah Jazz, Trade, Enes Kanter
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Alex Kennedy: Larry Sanders is considering taking buyout from Bucks, according to sources. He's undecided if he'll take it, but it's being discussed. Larry Sanders is going through a really tough time right now and basketball is the furthest thing from his mind. Keep him in your thoughts. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Rumors tagsMilwaukee Bucks, Larry Sanders, Buyout
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.qE4PP7qE.dpuf

The more interesting questions surround Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried. Denver isn’t shopping those guys, but Jusuf Nurkic is the only true untouchable on the roster, per several league sources who have dealt with the Nuggets. The sense around the league is that you could land Lawson or Faried with a Godfather offer. They are gettable. Boston and Denver have had exploratory talks about Lawson, per several sources. Grantland

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Trade, Ty Lawson, Kenneth Faried, Jusuf Nurkic
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/boston_celtics#sthash.Y29lweb0.dpuf

It’s unclear how interested they really are, and dealing for Lawson now would bring the risk of a semi-unwanted playoff appearance. Boston will not include Marcus Smart in any Lawson deal. Grantland

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Trade, Ty Lawson, Marcus Smart
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/boston_celtics#sthash.Y29lweb0.dpuf

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now Empty Re: Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:18 pm

Latest update is that it would take an amazing offer to get Kanter.  Hopefully one that is bigger than Danny will pay.

Celtics have discussed trading for Ty Lawson.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2015/02/report_celtics_have_discussed_ty_lawson_trade_with_nuggets.html

Report: Celtics Have Discussed Ty Lawson Trade With Nuggets
Share  Tweet  Pin  Comment 13  Email
Brian Robb
@CelticsHub
Boston.com Correspondent
FEBRUARY 16, 2015 11:07 AM
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Brian Robb has covered the Celtics and the NBA since the 2008-09 season. His work has appeared on NBA.com, CelticsHub.com, ESPN.com, and CBSBoston.com.

Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now B9252f6745ba4df5b60449df424330ce-b9252f6745ba4df5b60449df424330ce-0

After a busy month of trading in January, the Celtics rumor mill had been relatively quiet over the past couple weeks. As the Feb. 19 trade deadline approaches, it appears the team's dealings are about to heat up again, this time with a potential unexpected target for Danny Ainge.

Zach Lowe of Grantland.com has the scoop:

The sense around the league is that you could land [Ty] Lawson or [Kenneth] Faried with a Godfather offer. They are gettable. Boston and Denver have had exploratory talks about Lawson, per several sources. Denver isn’t dealing Lawson unless it gets a bounty in return. The C’s have a thousand draft picks, two big trade exceptions, and a bushel of interesting young guys. It’s unclear how interested they really are, and dealing for Lawson now would bring the risk of a semi-unwanted playoff appearance. Boston will not include Marcus Smart in any Lawson deal.

The targeting of Lawson comes as a bit of a surprise, since the belief across the region was that the Celtics would be sellers, not buyers, at the trade deadline. Names like Brandon Bass, Marcus Thornton or Tayshaun Prince were expected to be moved out to help create more playing time for the youngsters on the roster. However, it's been widely reported that the trade market for those veterans has been soft due to their high salaries and Ainge's asking price.

With the prospect of dealing away veteran pieces looking uncertain, a long-term upgrade to the roster appears to be on the table for Boston's front office by acquiring Lawson. At 28-years-old, the point guard is still young enough to be a part of Boston's future and is signed to a relatively team-friendly contract for the next two years, earning $12.4 million in 2015-16 and $13.2 million in 2016-17. Lawson is averaging 16.9 points and 10.1 assists per game this season.

Knowing the issues the Celtics may have attracting free agents to Boston this summer in the midst of a rebuild, landing a promising piece like Lawson could be a nice proactive move by Ainge to improve the team's core ahead of free agency. However, sacrificing future draft picks for a 28-year-old guard, when the Celtics have Marcus Smart developing at the same position, will surely make the team's front office think long and hard about making a serious offer in this situation.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now Empty Re: Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now

Post by Sam Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:13 am

I like Lawson.  Of course, I like conventional "1" play, although he actually adds dynamic scoring potential to his 10.1 apg this season.  He's a decent defender.  Personally, I don't see him holding up Marcus Smart's progress.  I see Ty taking more minutes from Turner than from Smart.  A backcourt of Lawson, Bradley, Turner (who can also play some "3"), Smart and Thornton should give Brad a lot of options for mixing and matching.  My guess would be that Thornton will not be with the team next season, so we're talking about a versatile four-man backcourt with Turner perhaps moving to "3" and Crowder to "4" when they go small.  Facing a taller "1?"  Smart gets more time at the "5."  Against a speedy "1," Lawson get  more minutes at the "1."  And, yes, I know I left Pressey out.  Sorry, Phil.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:28 am

As I've sifted through a lot of different rumor sites (obviously of varying credibility), the three themes I've been reading most often are that:

1. Danny is morphing from a seller to a buyer as the trade deadline appears.

2. The Celtics have been in discussions about Ty Lawson.

3. The Celtics have been in discussions about Demarcus Cousins.  That would be our third Marcus, and is there a league limit on that?

Rumors—the poor man's trash.  But it doesn't hurt to conjecture.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:43 am

Celtics trade rumors are great and are going to get much more frequent in the next 3 days.

I very much like the idea of adding a very good player or two to the roster ASAP if possible but not for a king's ransom. So, no two first rounders, Bass and 2 second rounders for Lawson, etc.

It would seem that if teams are willing to trade guys like Lawson and Cousins that a first rounder, a second rounder and possibly one of the three vets (Bass, Thornton and Prince) could be done. Some of the trade exemption money could also be utilized.

There is a lot to say about all of the draft picks that Ainge has acquired, but there is no way that all of them are going to turn out to be Celtics players.

I know that many people like the idea of tanking and getting a few more ping pong balls in the hopper for the June draft, but I have little faith in the ping pong balls. A 3 percent (the number is probably not actually 3%, but I used that number to make my point) chance at a top draft spot is most certainly not as good as giving up a first round draft pick and getting an already solid NBA player.

Would you want to go into a fight with only a 3 percent chance of winning the fight?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:22 am

I'm really torn here about those rumors from Monday.

yes Lawson and Boogie are high quality players (though Boogie is nothing close to being a defensive presence).

would we be a solid playoff team with them?

I guess that depends on WHAT Ainge would give up for both of them.

a couple of Picks,I am fine with that we have plenty over the next few years.

picks and Sully or Kelly..OK O get that too.

I guess I'd be fine with the Clippers pick next year and one pick in 2016 and 2017 (our choice) along with Sully for Cousins AND Lawson.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Although I'm now reading that the Kings and Nuggets plan on keeping Cousins and Lawson, I guess most of us have learned that it's not over until it's not over.  One hidden benefit of Lawson's becoming a Celtic would be that playing against him in practice could give Marcus Smart a golden opportunity to work on what I feel is one of his greatest weaknesses—vulnerability to a speedy opponent.

Whatever happens or doesn't happen, I'm really looking forward to the resumption of Celtics play over the rest of the season.  There are so many things to monitor on the proving ground known as snowy Boston.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 pm

One of the things I'm sensing is a change of tone.  We've gone from "DO SOMETHING, DANNY!" to a more cautious approach.  We're taking good hard looks at all prospective incoming players from trades and not just assuming they will be an upgrade over what we already have.  Not surprisingly it has happened after the Rondo and Green shoes dropped AND we went on a 7-5 run including a 3-3 west coast trip.  Winning solves all kinds of problems, but I get the sense this board is starting to see some promise in what could be called "our core" (until Trader Danny creates a new core).  When Danny moved our two best players many of us saw that as him throwing in the towel on this season and on a quick rebuild.  However true that may be, apparently, Brad and the players never got the memo.  He is squeezing every last drop out the grist Danny has left him.  Many have said Atlanta does not having any stars either and look at them.  Their all-star point guard was drafted in 2009.  That is a nice, long, patient development cycle.  Their center was drafted in 2007, has been with the Hawks the whole time and is a 3x all-star.  Another nice, long, patient development cycle.  Paul Millsap is a 2x all-star too.  Their roster hasn't gotten blown up multiple times this season either.  

I think people are starting to like this team a bit more.  They're scrappers and that fits Boston.  They're the 9th youngest team in the league (how much does Wallace and Prince skew that figure?), so they fail a lot, but they keep trying to rally back and pull it out.

What a difference a few months makes.  High promise to start the season, despair when we don't do well and now...?  We've become pretty picky about who we want and who/what we are willing to give up to get them, haven't we?  If that's not evidence of a positive, uptick in our perception of where we are in the rebuild, what is?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Per David Aldridge:

Hearing it's less likely that Tayshaun Prince is included in a deal before trade deadline, but buyout talks on hold until then just in case.
5:40pm - 17 Feb 15

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:57 pm

As I've said elsewhere, I believe the biggest development this season has been Brad's ability to create a comfort level for each player.  Not playing out of position so much; more sure of what his role is; past the period of day-to-day experimentation; being put into situations where he can succeed; not having to plug himself into a player-centric system that was already well established when he arrived.  That sort of thing develops confidence, encourages supreme exertion, leads to getting the most out of one's ability, and establishes chemistry.

I don't believe this sort of camaraderie/togetherness effort was possible when their two strongest players were habituated to systems of the past and were strong enough to persist in following those systems—but not strong enough to use those systems to carry the team to contention status.

Brad and the remaining players have jointly established a new blueprint, which is flexible enough to integrate newcomers quickly.  For the first time in many years, it appears to me that Danny is gradually evolving into operating from an increasing position of strength.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:52 am

Report: 76ers' trade discussions 'picking up'

by R.J. White | CBSSports.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:05 PM ET

The 76ers aren't likely to make as many deadline deals as they did in 2014, but trade discussions with other teams have been "picking up," The Intelligencer reports.

The most likely trade scenario has the 76ers absorbing salary in order to acquire second-round picks, but they could also deal small forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute or the expiring contracts of Jason Richardson or Andrei Kirilenko.

The team reportedly likes guard Nik Stauskas, who the Kings have shown a willingness to deal before the deadline. It's possible general manager Sam Hinkie could consider a deal swapping Nerlens Noel for Stauskas and a pick, per the report, as the No. 8 pick in 2014 would provide perimeter shooting and has one more year on his deal than Noel.

Michael Carter-Williams is another player who could be on the move if an interested team is willing to meet the 76ers' asking price, according to the report.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:17 am

Noel for a first rounder?

maybe even bass and the Clippers pick OR the lesser of our picks next year?

I'd be all over something like that, if Philly wants to dump the beanpole.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:47 am

kdp59 wrote:Noel for a first rounder?

maybe even bass and the Clippers pick OR the lesser of our picks next year?

I'd be all over something like that, if Philly wants to dump the beanpole.

Kdp,

According to the rumor Hinkle wants Stauskas and a pick.  Who would you give up that he'd like?  Obviously he's looking for outside shooting and the salaries would have to match up with a rookie contract.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 am

Per Marc Stein twitter:

ESPN sources say Celtics emerging as contender on the outside for Goran Dragic in trade with Phoenix
1:39pm - 18 Feb 15

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 am

I like Thomas already signed at $7M per than Dragic at a MAX DEAL ( $18-19Mper).

Dragic isn't that much better than Thomas to me.

Bob, I don't think we need to match salary's with Philly as they are below the cap now. so we could send them the expiring Bass deal along with a future first, even though bass makes more then Noel.

just a bit of day dreaming here:

Zeller
Noel- for Bass and lesser of your first rounder in 2016.
Randolph
Sully
Kelly
Wallace
Prince
Crowder
Turner
Bradley
Smart
Thomas- For Thornton and the Clippers pick next year (add a 2018 pick if need be).
Young
Pressey

Prince would be a UFA next year and Crowder restricted.

everyone else signed for next year.

Looks like a YOUNG playoff team to me

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:51 am

kdp59 wrote:I like Thomas already signed at $7M per than Dragic at a MAX DEAL ( $18-19Mper).

Dragic isn't that much better than Thomas to me.

Bob, I don't think we need to match salary's with Philly as they are below the cap now. so we could send them the expiring Bass deal along with a future first, even though bass makes more then Noel.

just a bit of day dreaming here:

Zeller
Noel- for Bass and lesser of your first rounder in 2016.
Randolph
Sully
Kelly
Wallace
Prince
Crowder
Turner
Bradley
Smart
Thomas- For Thornton and the Clippers pick next year (add a 2018 pick if need be).
Young
Pressey

Prince would be a UFA next year and Crowder restricted.

everyone else signed for next year.

Looks like a  YOUNG playoff team to me

Kdp,

You can't have Thomas if Phoenix won't trade him and, if Dragic WILL NOT sign with Phoenix next year,  they'll move Dragic and keep Thomas.  To be honest, I thought their eyes were bigger than their stomachs (my grandfather used to say that to me when I was a child and wanted EVERYTHING) when they traded for Bledsoe AND signed Thomas while having Dragic.

Why would Hinkie want Bass?  Hinkie isn't Interested in legit NBA players who can help him win games, he's playing a completely different game.

I'd go for the Thomas for Thornton trade.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:59 pm

You many be correct Bob.

Dragic and his agent may have but an end to Thomas being moved now.

as for Philly, have they made it up the cap Minimum yet?

I haven't been keeping track (and I know if they don't get there the players all get raises to make them at the Minimum). But I had them getting Bass AND a first (which I assumed is what they wanted most in that article).

we'll know soon enough, if anything goes down

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing about 51 minutes ago
Woj: Suns want "young player with significant potential" + one or two 1st-round picks for Dragic. sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--…

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Order more coffee and donuts! Ainge and his assistants will not get much sleep tonight.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jay King @ByJayKing about 51 minutes ago
Woj: Suns want "young player with significant potential" + one or two 1st-round picks for Dragic. sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--…

I really like Dragic, but is he really a max player? Can we realistically afford two max players. If not, then do we really want Dragic as our best (or at least highest paid) player? Maybe its not so bad since the cap will be changing, and what is "max" this summer will be considerably less than max next year? Any capologists out there have any insight?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:23 pm

wide clyde wrote:Order more coffee and donuts!  Ainge and his assistants will not get much sleep tonight.

Clyde,

Visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads.   And ours.

I'm leaving for the airport in a few minutes and probably will not be able to keep up with all the rumors and actual trades from here on through the deadline (what was I thinking?  Flying back from Asia on the NBA trade deadline AND Chinese New Years?).  I look forward to  catching up when I get settled back in the land of Coca-Cola (oh, wait a second, they have all that stuff here too).

Changing this to Trade rumors for Monday 2/16 thread now 6a689af8ae529f8292341eb4e14fec92

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 pm

Clyde,

I'm up for the coffee and donuts.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:07 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:I really like Dragic, but is he really a max player? Can  we realistically afford two max players. If not, then do we really want Dragic as our best (or at least highest paid) player? Maybe its not so bad since the cap will be changing, and what is "max" this summer will be considerably less than max next year? Any capologists out there have any insight?
I'm certainly not a capologist -- if you add an "r" in there, I might qualify -- but I think you've hit on a key point here, that a max contract this summer will be considerably less than a max contract in a couple of years and therefore a more acceptable contract to take on.

Dragic isn't a perfect fit, with his age (28) and defense being the main issues, but I think he could add some nice punch to the offense as a scorer, facilitator, and fast break catalyst. He coexisted quite nicely with Bledsoe last season, with the two of them being combo guards, and that might work well with Marcus Smart and allow Smart to grow into his point guard responsibilities more gradually. My initial thought is to say yes to the idea, though it obviously depends on the price and Dragic's willingness to sign with Boston this summer.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:18 am

If there is no way to assure that Dragic will sign on for additional years there is no way that I would trade even one first round pick for him. What good is he going to be if all he can do is help achieve a 7th or 8th playoff spot this year.

And, it was written that the Suns want to include his brother in any deal as well. Goran has a contract for next year so this is just another reason to stay away from the Suns.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:11 am

Danny Ainge - C - Celtics

There's "nothing of substance" on the Celtics trading for Reggie Jackson or Goran Dragic, according to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.

There were some rumors of the Celtics being interested in Dragic, but Dragic reportedly doesn't want to go to Boston and the Celtics may not want to part with some of their picks. This is good news for owners of Marcus Smart.

Source: Boston Herald

Feb 19 - 10:48 AM
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down