fierce
dboss
21 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Free Agency 2017 - Page 6 Empty Re: Free Agency 2017

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:30 pm

A ton of money is being thrown around.

Buyers remorse is sure to set in when some teams realize that the long term deals are cap killers.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 pm

dboss - I agree. There is already some, as MIL is looking to move Monroe, and TOR may be looking to rid itself of DeMare Carroll's deal.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:07 pm

kdp59 wrote:yep I sure do think that.

All three players are all-pro NBA players. if you make a real list of the top 15 NBA players all three would be in it. They will each make the teams they joined better.

Players like that don't grow on trees and last I checked Danny has zero on his roster right now.

None, that would be NONE  of the 3 guys was firtst team all-NBA. No two and probably no three of them woud make the Celtics a serious challenger to the Warriors this coming season, while guys like Brown and Tatum may pay dividends for decades. Getting to exercise the number 3 pick 2 years in a row is special.Another top 5 pick next year and the Celtics might be building a team for the decades. Right now a shooter would sure be welcomed, but I`m wondering if a stopgap like Gallinari, at a far lower price, might not give us more bang for the buck, especially given that he is 6`10 and can rebound some, than Heyward.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:24 pm

I think getting Monroe could be beneficial at PF/C.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:

All three players are all-pro NBA players. if you make a real list of the top 15 NBA players all three would be in it. They will each make the teams they joined better.

Players like that don't grow on trees and last I checked Danny has zero on his roster right now.

None, that would be NONE  of the 3 guys was firtst team all-NBA. No two and probably no three of them woud make the Celtics a serious challenger to the Warriors this coming season, while guys like Brown and Tatum may pay dividends for decades. Getting to exercise the number 3 pick 2 years in a row is special.Another top 5 pick next year and the Celtics might be building a team for the decades. Right now a shooter would sure be welcomed, but I`m wondering if a stopgap like Gallinari, at a far lower price, might not give us more bang for the buck, especially given that he is 6`10 and can rebound some, than Heyward.

There is no right or wrong answer. There are different ways to build a contender. I perfer to use the draft provided you are positioned to select in the top 5.

Boston finds itself in an enviable position. They are an upper level playoff team and they are still building quality depth through the draft.

I am happy that the PG deal did not happen and I will not get twisted if the Hayward pursuit comes up short. No one can dispute the fact that this team is on schedule.

Danny will make the right deal when it presents itself. Truth be told he has been blessed because there were several bad deals that did not go through. The offer for PG if accurate was a bad deal.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 pm

112288 wrote:I think getting Monroe could be beneficial at PF/C.  

In the old days I would agree with you. But not now. Why tie up big dough on a guy with little to no range on offense?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Monroe

Last year at $17.8m.

Need a veteran center if someone goes down.

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:43 pm

112288 wrote:Monroe

Last year at $17.8m.

Monroe will just sit on the bench because he's a horrible defender.

He's not even a shot-blocker.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 pm

112288 wrote:Monroe

Last year at $17.8m.

I expect to see even more small ball lineups using mobile players at the 4 and 5.  Monroe is an old school center.  I do not see Boston offering up a lot of cash or extended contract years for a player like him.  If he was a better defender and could fit into the pace and space offense he could be an option.

I expect Boston to offer some low cost one year deals.  They will focus on addressing long term frontcourt needs when they cash in the Golden Egg and other draft picks.  Just my opinion.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:51 am

dboss wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

There is no right or wrong answer.  There are different ways to build a contender.  I perfer to use the draft provided you are positioned to select in the top 5.  

Boston finds itself in an enviable position.  They are an upper level playoff team and they are still building quality depth through the draft.

I am happy that the PG deal did not happen and I will not get twisted if the Hayward pursuit comes up short.  No one can dispute the fact that this team is on schedule.

Danny will make the right deal when it presents itself.  Truth be told he has been blessed because there were several bad deals that did not go through.  The offer for PG if accurate was a bad deal.  

Dboss

dboss,

I agree with you here. Again I was/am not saying Danny should have traded for any/all of those players. But when some want to paint those players as less than what they are , as NBA players to me it's nothing but homer ism. All three players are All-pro NBA players. They WILL make each of their new teams better. Danny didn't want or couldn't get a deal done for them. It is what it is now.

But lets not delude ourselves into thinking because someone didn't come here that they are not top NBA players.

maybe Tatum will be as good as George in a few years, Maybe Jaylen will be as good as Butler in a couple.

It's possible for sure, but it is more likely they never reach that level. I hope that they do myself.

Danny seems to know how to collect the assets, but is having a hard time cashing them in, IMO.

ON another note concerning free agency and such......IF Hayward ends up at Miami I wonder if Danny will try to trade for Winslow at a bargain price?

We all remember how much he wanted him on draft day back then.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:09 am

So growing up on a dairy farm were we to sell all the herd for a couple big producers and then have no milk to sell.

Can't get a big star unless for 1) they want to play here (in some cases) and 2 the other team has to be willing to give them up which to date isn't happening.  We truly have no clue what has been offered.

Sick of hearing how DA won't give up assets.................are some on here privy to information from him directly?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:47 am

a dairy farm isn't the NBA, sorry.

I'll take a super producer to work for me over 3 average workers every day myself. They end up making me more money in the end.

and I never said Danny hasn't offered up assets, I said he is having a hard time cashing them in.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:38 am

with the Amir signing at Philly and the rumors that a sign and trade was proposed with Okafor coming here.

I wonder if it is Danny who has interest in Okafor?

rumors about him coming here have been on and off for the past two years now.

Zeller is not officially released until today I think, so a trade of Zeller and a draft pick for Okafor could still happen today.

Zeller could then be released by Philly and they have about $12M left on cap space then, along with the draft pick. Or they keep Zeller for the year as a back up to Embiid.

with Hayward in town, it's the kind of deal that I can see Danny doing at the same time.

Okafor fills a need a big man off the bench without breaking the bank for the next couple years.

Update:

I am not sure there would be enough cap space to sign Hayward and do this deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2017/

we are about $4M OVER with the holds right now.
cutting Zeller and Jackson and renouncing all holds (Kelly, Jerebko, Young, Green and Yabusele) will be needed to clear enough salary for a near max deal for Hayward.

Last edited by kdp59 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 am

I'm glad we still have all our best picks going forward, and Tatum and Brown could easily pass PG and Butler if not in the next 2-3 years, definitely in 5 years barring injury.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:12 am

kdp59 wrote:a dairy farm isn't the NBA, sorry.

I'll take a super producer to work for me over 3 average workers every day myself. They end up making me more money in the end.

and I never said Danny hasn't offered up assets, I said he is having a hard time cashing them in.
Never said it was just a bit fed up about the BS crap.    

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I'm glad we still have all our best picks going forward, and Tatum and Brown could easily pass PG and Butler if not in the next 2-3 years, definitely in 5 years barring injury.

well, I hope they CAN both be near as good , as both those players. Then we will have TWO all-pro NBA players here!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:28 am

kdp59 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I'm glad we still have all our best picks going forward, and Tatum and Brown could easily pass PG and Butler if not in the next 2-3 years, definitely in 5 years barring injury.

well, I hope they CAN both be near as good , as both those players. Then we will have TWO all-pro NBA players here!!

True dat, my point was in 5 years or so PG and Butler will be fading and our 2 young studs will just be entering their primes.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:38 am

Nothing gets added to the pot until the main ingredient is chosen. Once Gordon Hayward decides, then there will be more movement with trades and signings.

Anticipation, anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:03 pm

I think that everyone is quoting different sources who are usually reliable.

Jeff Goodman who has been around the Celtics Some of the quotes come from Brian Windhorst from ESPN, Chris Mannix from the Verical,and WoJo from Yahoo.
So it is not like we are making this stuff up.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by ginoc Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:11 pm

gyso wrote:Nothing gets added to the pot until the main ingredient is chosen.  Once Gordon Hayward decides, then there will be more movement with trades and signings.

Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting.

Carly Simon on... Heinz Ketchup?

ginoc

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 pm

gyso wrote:Nothing gets added to the pot until the main ingredient is chosen.  Once Gordon Hayward decides, then there will be more movement with trades and signings.

Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting.

I'm totally not stressing we get or don't get Hayward everything still fine by me.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:23 pm

So far so good for all those who voted "hold the course". What we are seeing from Danny could be nothing more than none of us know what he is thinking/feeling/wanting, this offseason. He clearly had the assets for both Butler and George yet no deal got done. Maybe that's not who he really wanted. Maybe his sight is set really high and he still intends to pull off a big time FA signing and a trade later on. We may be prepared for any eventuality except trusting the process if no major change occurs this summer. There already is a big change in the makeup of our bigs. Is that Gordon on a duckboat?
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:46 pm

I see that all of a sudden Westbrook is not ready to sign the deal with OKC that they offered. ??? Laker eyes????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:10 pm

There is talk of Cleveland re-signing Kyle Korver, who will be 37 come next playoffs.

They also signed Jose Calderon to be Irving's back up. Pretty good.

The Cavs are also trying to trade Shumpert to Houston for draft pick(s) and a Traded Player Exception.

Houston is swinging for the fences this summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:12 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I see that all of a sudden Westbrook is not ready to sign the deal with OKC that they offered.  ??? Laker eyes????

Rosalie,

It's a timing thing, like what Danny and Mike Zarren do for cap flexibility. Not all that glitters is purple-and-gold.

Russell Westbrook Reportedly May Delay Signing Contract After Paul George Trade
ADAM WELLS
JULY 1, 2017

Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (0) roars to the crowd before Game 4 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series against the Houston Rockets in Oklahoma City, Sunday, April 23, 2017. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Sue Ogrocki/Associated Press
Oklahoma City Thunder star Russell Westbrook has a standing contract offer from the team that he will reportedly hold off on signing.

USA Today's Sam Amick reported Saturday that Westbrook isn't expected to sign a five-year, $217 million extension with the Thunder right away but that it will remain on the table until he does or the deadline to sign it expires at the start of the 2017-18 season.

ESPN.com's Royce Young reported Saturday one reason for Westbrook's delay is the presence of the newly acquired Paul George, since both players could become free agents after next season.

Amick noted Westbrook is a "happy superstar" following the Thunder's surprise acquisition of George.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next