Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics

+13
dbrown4
NYCelt
steve3344
sinus007
dboss
gyso
bobheckler
KyleCleric
kdp59
worcester
cowens/oldschool
mrkleen09
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics Empty Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics

WEEI John Tomase

Anthony Davis is making it abundantly clear he wants no part of playing for the Celtics.

According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Pelicans big man has told New Orleans he'd be willing to long-term with the Lakers and Knicks, as well as a handful of other teams. The Celtics are not on his list.

Davis's feelings could have a ripple effect in Boston, where guard Kyrie Irving can become a free agent and potentially join Davis in either Los Angeles or New York. Whether this dissuades Danny Ainge from blowing up his roster in the pursuit of Davis for possibly only one year remains to be seen, but Ainge is nothing if not determined, which means this story isn't over by a longshot.

Back to top Go down

Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics Empty Re: Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 pm

The Knicks?

So much for legacy and wanting to win.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics Empty Re: Report: Anthony Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations does not include Celtics

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 pm

Don’t need him

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:36 pm

We have a strong core that with some tweaks could rule for a good while.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:32 am

no surprise, his camp has been saying as much.

lets hope Trader Danny moves on instead of sending out our top young players for a guy who will move on shortly.

but what type of deal will it take?

Tatum is the starting point for NOP, IMO. we'd need to add either Smart or a re-signed Rozier to the deal for salary matches. along with TWO out of the three first Danny has in the next draft. Lets say the Kings pick and our own first. POssibly will need to add one future first to get the deal done.

what does that leave fro out roster?

Davis
Horford- final year of his deal
Hayward
Smart - or Rozier depending on who is traded
Irving

as our starters, our bench left would be

Brown
Baynes
Ojeleye
Rob Williams
Yabusele

players likely to be r-signed then:

Theis
Wannamaker

we also have the Clippers pick in this case (Kris Wilkes-UCLA?).

that would leave two roster spots to be filled with vet minimum type deals.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:44 am

Hayward still starting over Brown???? Rozier over Brown? C'mon, Brad!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 am

WHY HAYWARD IS PURE ECONOMICS. HAYWARD'S CONTRACT VERSES BROWNS. THEY NEED TO GET HIM GOING SO THEY HAVE OPTIONS OF EITHER KEEPING HIM AS A PRODUCTIVE PLAYER OR TRADE HIM AND GET VALUE FOR HIM..........BUT HE MUST PRODUCE. SITTING ON THE BENCH WILL NOT ACHIEVE THE DESIRED RESULTS.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:09 am

112288 wrote:WHY HAYWARD IS PURE ECONOMICS.  HAYWARD'S CONTRACT VERSES BROWNS.  THEY NEED TO GET HIM GOING SO THEY HAVE OPTIONS OF EITHER KEEPING HIM AS A PRODUCTIVE PLAYER OR TRADE HIM AND GET VALUE FOR HIM..........BUT HE MUST PRODUCE.  SITTING ON THE BENCH WILL NOT ACHIEVE THE DESIRED RESULTS.

I just don't see anyone ever taking on his max deal in a trade, so we have to hope for the best from Hayward.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:11 am

worcester wrote:Hayward still starting over Brown???? Rozier over Brown? C'mon, Brad!

Maybe wishful thinking that Hayward will somehow be worthy of his max contract on my part.

I figures Rozier is one the traded and Smart stays. But if Smart is traded then yes Brown moves back in the starting role, with Rozier re-signed as the 6th man then.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am

Like Kyrie, these are issues for 4 months from now. At this point, there’s been reporting staking every position. It’s just noise.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 am

Danny is swinging for the fences.

I think, I could be wrong but I think, that he feels he needs AD to absolutely get Kyrie to re-sign.

To get AD he's going to gut the team.

If AD does not re-sign with Boston that will mean Danny will gut the team for a 1 year rental plus Kyrie re-signing.  Is Kyrie re-signing worth it?

This all makes me as touchy as a cat on a hot tin roof.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 am

Dear Elizabeth Taylor, Who would we get for the 1 year rental if not AD to keep Kyrie? Any chance we'd get KD?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:28 am

Danny holds all the cards here, so I see no need to worry at all.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 am

There is no such thing as an untradeable contract in the NBA.

Case in point: Joe Johnson

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8124182/brooklyn-nets-agree-trade-atlanta-hawks-joe-johnson-sources-say

. . .  new Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry simply could not pass on the opportunity to deal Johnson's contract, which still owes him nearly $90 million over the next four seasons. Ferry can now start to rebuild the Hawks after shedding the richest contract in the whole league, worth $126 million when Johnson signed it in the summer of 2010.

Of course, a team may need to involve the Nets in order to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Hayward basketball style does not fit the Celtics style as presently constructed. He just seems lost or uncomfortable out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:Danny is swinging for the fences.

I think, I could be wrong but I think, that he feels he needs AD to absolutely get Kyrie to re-sign.

To get AD he's going to gut the team.

If AD does not re-sign with Boston that will mean Danny will gut the team for a 1 year rental plus Kyrie re-signing.  Is Kyrie re-signing worth it?

This all makes me as touchy as a cat on a hot tin roof.

bob

Bob As we know Danny has had an interest in AD even before he made the blockbuster trade to get Kyrie but now it seems even more important because Kyrie looks like a flight risk. I think you nailed it down. It may be the biggest wager of Danny's career.

The Celtics have been tainted unfairly. AD does not want to be a Celtic. That could change once he is here.

This could turn out to be a great win for the Celtics or a devastating loss. Good thing Danny has to make the call.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:25 pm

112288 wrote:Hayward basketball style does not fit the Celtics style as presently constructed.   He just seems lost or uncomfortable out there.

Hi,
I think it's not his style as much as his recovery: he's still half a second slow and half an inch low.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Latest on the AD saga

Looks like NOLA wants 4 first rounders.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25927397/magic-johnson-lakers-competing-pelicans-desire-wait-anthony-davis
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm

https://nesn.com/2019/02/nba-rumors-celtics-refuse-to-dangle-jayson-tatum-in-anthony-davis-talks/

NBA Rumors: Celtics ‘Refuse To Dangle’ Jayson Tatum In Anthony Davis Talks

by Joshua Schrock on Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:01AM

Anthony Davis remains on the New Orleans Pelicans … for now.

The New Orleans Pelicans have yet to trade their star forward and reportedly are reluctant to work toward a deal with Davis’ desired destination, the Los Angeles Lakers.

Danny Ainge and the Boston Celtics are unable to enter the trade sweepstakes for Davis until after July 1 and Boston reportedly has been asking the Pelicans to hold off on dealing Davis, according to Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix. One reason New Orleans reportedly is hesitant to trade the 25-year-old star to LA is that they believe Celtics forward Jayson Tatum will be available in a package this summer.

According to Mannix, though, the C’s “have refused to directly dangle” the Duke product but the Pelicans believe everything will be on the table during the summer.

The Lakers reportedly upped their offer for Davis on Monday, offering Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley, Lance Stephenson and two first-round draft picks, but the Pelicans have yet to counter and don’t appear to be willing to engage in serious talks with Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

If Davis remains on the Pelicans past Thursday’s NBA trade deadline, Ainge and the Celtics reportedly will enter the bidding during the summer and will not be deterred by reports that the forward doesn’t view Boston as a long-term home, per Mannix. Ainge reportedly views the situation similar to that of Kevin Garnett in 2007, when the star forward first refused to be traded to the Celtics but ultimately wound up signing an extension with the Green.

With 48 hours to go until the deadline, all signs are pointing to Davis remaining in New Orleans until the summer and the Celtics making a giant push to land the star.

bob
MY NOTE:  According to this article the Lakers are offering 6 players:  Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley, Lance Stephenson.  Who does that leave that isn't an end-of-bencher?  LeBron, McGee, Hart, Tyson Chandler, Caldwell-Pope.  Hart is the only guard left.  This is an offer that lands Davis long-term and pretty much writes off the rest of this year.  Considering that LeBron will be 35 years old next year, this is a risky proposition.  NOP turned down an offer from the Knicks to trade AD for Porzingis, which is why they took the Dallas offer.  If they didn't want Porzingis I'm not sure I see any player in this Laker offer that would come close to turning the Pelican's heads.  Kuzma, perhaps, I like him a lot.  They also want 4 first round picks (the max that can be offered) and some 2nds.  In other words, they want to bleed LA dry for most of the next decade.

As far as the Knicks go there is one thing and one thing only that they can offer that might turn NOP's head and that's if they get the #1 pick in the draft.  Then NOP can replace AD with Zion.  Is that going to happen?  That's really swinging for the fences, counting on that they can convince two max free agents to come to the worst team in the league without a transcendental rookie coming in.

I like Milwaukee but, if you take Giannis off the table, can they put together a package that will turn NOP's head? I say no. Middleton, Brogdon don't make it. Throwing in Maker doesn't make(r) much better.

None of this has any impact on whether Danny should or should not make this trade.  He's doing a high-wire act of his own.  I love AD, he is the #1 big in the game, so much so that he is still a franchise player in a game that is moving away from bigs, but the risk!  I have been waking up everyday for the past week or so thanking God I am not Danny Ainge.  I would be suffering all kinds of nerve-related medical issues right now, I would be miserable.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm

The Celtics may want to get Brown more minutes. If I'm NOLA Tatum is a must if I am parting with AD. Brown could be an alternative but an extra pick may be heading out the door.

In the end Danny may come to the realization that trading for AD will deplete Boston at best and at worst end up with a negative ROI if they cannot resign him.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm

How can any of those Laker players show up the practice this week and not have this on their mind?

These kind of negotiations need to take place in private. Really a sad spectacle upfolding in front of our eyes.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 pm

MAY BE IRVING SIGNS FOR JUST 1 YEAR TO MATCH AD.

THEN YOU HAVE A REAL CLUSTER F@*K

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Why would AD want to sign with a totally depleted Lakers team, save Lebron?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Would Bill Belichick trade the young core of his team plus multiple first rounders to get any player that you can name?

I know it is an entirely different sport with more players on a roster so there is no apples to apples comparison. How do you measure the value of one truly great player as compared to several really good players and future draftees?

It has been said many time that the team that gets the best player wins the trade. Is that always the case?

Consternation on either side is plausible.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:51 pm

worcester wrote:Why would AD want to sign with a totally depleted Lakers team, save Lebron?

LA may just be able to sign a FA turning LA into a super team. It is however a narrow view for a guy in it for the long term. Lebron has more mileage on him than any player in the NBA. Yet there has been very little drop off in his productivity. He is a phenomenal athlete.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next