Vincent Poirier Signing Official D_iJ5X1XsAEkVVz?format=jpg

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Vincent Poirier Signing Official Empty Re: Vincent Poirier Signing Official

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm

I guess that's nice.

We need bigs, and haven't been in position to pick up anyone with outstanding potential.

I put Poirier in a similar light as Theis, and if things go very, very well, Fall. It's kind of a throw it against the wall and see what sticks situation. I wouldn't expect much, but you never know. Maybe we get lucky and find something. Worth trying.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

NYCelt wrote:I guess that's nice.

We need bigs, and haven't been in position to pick up anyone with outstanding potential.

I put Poirier in a similar light as Theis, and if things go very, very well, Fall. It's kind of a throw it against the wall and see what sticks situation. I wouldn't expect much, but you never know. Maybe we get lucky and find something. Worth trying.
                                He has the advantage of being 4 inches  taller than Theis.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I guess that's nice.

He has the advantage of being 4 inches  taller than Theis.

That's good too; if he has the skill to use it. 4 inches not meaningful otherwise. Hopefully he can provide something. A little depth would be a plus.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Agreed. I haven't seen him play, but he led the European League in rebounds, and I think he did it the prior season too. He has been described as a relentless rebounder. International called for his signing long before it happened, so perhaps he could be kind enough to compare his value to Theis.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm

I just read a comparison of their Euro league stats and, for what it's worth (apologies to the Buffalo Springfield), Poirer was better than Theis in every category except 3 point shooting. He simply didn't take any. He won't be stretching the floor. We seem to have a plethora of center candidates, but the 4 is a bit of a crapshoot .G. William's and Theis .Semi. Al Horford won't be walking through that door. Position less basketball anybody? We can go real big or real small.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 pm

NYCelt wrote:4 inches not meaningful otherwise. Hopefully he can provide something. A little depth would be a plus.

That's what she said! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:37 am

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:4 inches not meaningful otherwise. Hopefully he can provide something. A little depth would be a plus.

That's what she said!  Very Happy

Michael Scott

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by international Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:46 pm

A comparison between Daniel Theis and Vincent Poirier show us two different players, for example, Theis is better in defense and is a a good 3 point shooter but is only 6''9 and Poirier is a legit 7''0 feet , Poirier is a bully inside and is a good rebounder , in comparison with Theis, Poirier is a better passer and is by far stronger than Theis. Vincent is a good free Throw Shooter and has a mid range shot.It's clear both can play together with Theis as a powerd forward and Poirier as a center.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks, international. You're a great asset to this board. Info on worldwide prospects is invaluable.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:32 pm

gyso wrote:

That's what she said!  Very Happy

I should have known what would happen as soon as I posted that!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Tim Bontemps: The two-year deal the Celtics agreed to today with big man Vincent Poirier was for a total of $5.1 million, league sources told ESPN. Poirier averaged 10.5 points and 7.3 rebounds last season for Baskonia in 59 games between the Spanish and Euroleagues. 2 days ago – via Twitter TimBontemps

bob
MY NOTE:  $5.1M for 2 years for a veteran center is another steal by Danny.

One of the things I have learned from International (and I agree with JR that International is absolutely invaluable for his knowledge of global basketball) is to not put much weight on Euro stats, especially how many minutes they play per game.  Theis' stats weren't that impressive in the German League neither.  I watched as much film of his as I could and fell in love with his active defense but if I hadn't done that, if I had just looked at his numbers, I would have thought he was nothing much.  He also didn't play heavy minutes in Germany and I wondered about that too.  They just have a different management style.  Here, you play your studs until they bend over at the frito line and pull their shorts down, or drop.  Not there.

Last edited by bobheckler on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm

I agree with Bob about the (total) stats being misleading. Poirer won the rebounding crown with 8.3 per game. For whatever reason they play less minutes across the pond.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 pm

One thing for sure, rebounding translates to the NBA, from college or international. Poirier can rebound, and as him name implies, he has grown a pear.

poirier
nm
(BOTANIQUE) pear tree
(GYMNASTIQUE)
faire le poirier to do a headstand
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down