Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him????

+4
KyleCleric
cowens/oldschool
kdp59
RosalieTCeltics
8 posters

Go down

Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him???? Empty Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him????

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Update: Vincent Poirier clarifies comments on his role with the Celtics
Poirier played in just 22 games in his first season with Boston

By Keith P Smith Nov 11, 2020, 4:31pm EST
Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
All sharing options
Boston Celtics v Orlando Magic
Photo by Fernando Medina/NBAE via Getty Images
UPDATE (11/12/20): Vincent Poirier sat down with Tom Westerholm from MassLive and clarified some of his comments from his recent interview with We Sport. It seems as if some of Poirier’s comments were taken out of context and/or were lost in translation.

Poirier told MassLive: “I just told him I accepted the role I had this year, because obviously that’s what I deserved, because I didn’t show anything. But I think I worked. I think I understand the game, so I used this season to grow and to progress. I’m just saying that was cool, but as a competitor, as a man, as a basketball player, I want more. I’m not here just to be with the guys.

“So that’s why I said that. I said, ‘Yeah, I don’t want to do two seasons like that,’ not because I think I don’t deserve it, just because I want more. Every basketball player in the world will tell you the same thing. It’s nothing personal against Brad, it’s nothing personal against the Celtics, it’s just like when you play in the NBA, you want more than to just be on the team.”

It seems as if what Poirier wants is a chance to compete. He understands that he didn’t show enough last season to earn a role. He also noted that it’s on him to show more this season to earn that opportunity.

Poirier also said he has texted with Brad Stevens to make sure they are on the same page, and that there are no issues. Poirier also made it clear he doesn’t want to leave Boston: “It’s nothing against the Celtics or the coach. That’s the basketball. That’s the best thing in the world. I can’t say nothing. We had a pretty good year, so I have nothing to say about them. It’s just my personal opinion of myself, about my situation, about what I want for me next season. ...

“I’ve never been that guy who trash talks about any team. The Celtics found me, welcomed me really well. I don’t want the fans to think I’m just here to take the money and leave, that I don’t give a f--- about the team or the fans.”

Boston Celtics v Houston Rockets
Photo by David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images
(Note: Parts of Vincent Poirier’s interview were translated via Google Translate.)

In an interview with French-language site We Sport, Boston Celtics center Vincent Poirier indicated he’s hopeful for a bigger role next season.

Poirier was asked about not playing much in his first season in Boston and said “I had a discussion with the coach (Brad Stevens) at the end of the season, I told him clearly that I had done a year in this role and that I understood the role and the club’s policy to want to win, and to play those who have deserved their place. I just told him that I will do a year like this but not two. I think that a first year is also made to help you discover, to take your marks, and that the second year is the one to prove things. I took it with that in mind and I’m ready for the second year.”

Poirier played in 22 games for Boston, logging just 130 minutes. This is following being a regular starter for high-end clubs in both France and Spain during the preceding four seasons.

When asked if he believes he should be in the Celtics rotation next season, Poirier said “I don’t know where I’ll be, but in my head it’s obvious that I’m not doing one more season at the end of the bench to applaud.”

When pressed if he wants to leave Boston, Poirier expressed no particular attachment to the city nor the Celtics saying “Boston is a city that I like. I like the players too. I would like us to win something together. After that, I am not attached to this club more than anything in the sense that I did not grow up with this club. It is not my dream club. But if I can stay and win a title with them I will. I am here to play, to be a competitor and not to just stay. I will have no remorse to leave.”

Poirier indicated he has no plans to ask for a release to head back overseas despite interest from clubs in Turkey, Spain and Russia. He also said he hopes to play for France in the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo in the summer of 2021.

Poirier spoke of his close relationships to many of the other French players in the NBA. He said his best friend in the league is Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz. Poirier also spoke with fondness of being in the bubble with so many other players from France and their time spent together.

As for his Celtics teammates, Poirier said he was most impressed by Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown this season: “(Tatum) really exploded and everything seemed extremely easy for him at the end of the season. There was also Jaylen Brown. Players that I see every day, who work a lot and it is largely thanks to them that we have come this far.”

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him???? Empty Re: Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him????

Post by kdp59 Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:39 pm

its good he doesn't want to sit on the end of the bench again. he just has to show something or else he will be (if he's in the NBA that is).

I would guess Ainge is trying to package his guaranteed salary next season to some team.

Frankly I'd rather have Tacko on the end of the bench next year.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him???? Empty Re: Vincent Poirier interview, what do they do about him????

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Bye bye

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Danny sucks at evaluating bigs

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:59 pm

kdp59 wrote:its good he doesn't want to sit on the end of the bench again. he just has to show something or else he will be (if he's in the NBA that is).

I would guess Ainge is trying to package his guaranteed salary next season to some team.

Agreed. Are there going to be 2 way contracts this year?

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:05 am

KyleCleric wrote:
kdp59 wrote:its good he doesn't want to sit on the end of the bench again. he just has to show something or else he will be (if he's in the NBA that is).

Agreed. Are there going to be 2 way contracts this year?

I don't know if they decided on the G-league yet. Either way I think both Tacko and Waters will find an NBA job somewhere this coming season instead of a two way deal.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:33 pm

I would rather have had Fall on the roster (even the beginning part of the season) last season over Poirier. This kid is just not going to be an NBA player in my opinion.

I can not believe that an older guy such as Poirier could have been signed thinking that he was going to be able to help before last season. What a mistake. And, just about any younger guy (Fall or someone else) would have been a better choice for a roster space.

The only good thing is that as the 15th man on the roster was that he was not too terribly expensive. But, even with his low salary he should not have a roster spot this season.

Wonder if there is a way to trade him back to Europe?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:51 pm

wideclyde wrote:I would rather have had Fall on the roster (even the beginning part of the season) last season over Poirier.  This kid is just not going to be an NBA player in my opinion.

I can not believe that an older guy such as Poirier could have been signed thinking that he was going to be able to help before last season.  What a mistake.  And, just about any younger guy (Fall or someone else) would have been a better choice for a roster space.

The only good thing is that as the 15th man on the roster was that he was not too terribly expensive.  But, even with his low salary he should not have a roster spot this season.

Wonder if there is a way to trade him back to Europe?

This guy sucks, can’t believe he led some Euro league in rebounding, are we allowed to scrimmage a guy before signing him? One of Danny’s worst moves....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:22 pm

VP was one of many mistakes Danny made last off season.

VP is not going to play much for the Celtics so they should trade him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:34 pm

What if he decided to go back home? What happens to his contract?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:What if he decided to go back home?  What happens to his contract?

I believe:

If a player is under contract in the NBA, he cannot play in Europe.
If a player is under contract in Europe, he cannot play in the NBA.

He has to be bought out or released first, then he can.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:25 pm

But, he is under contract, so it would cost to release him.

Good God, it is pouring out there during the Pats game, what a mess, this is when guys get hurt
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:But, he is under contract, so it would cost to release him.  

Good God, it is pouring out there during the Pats game,  what a mess, this is when guys get hurt

Rosalie,

Pats won it though, with a good game plan.

My Bills got stunned on a highlight Hail Mary.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

NYCelt wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:But, he is under contract, so it would cost to release him.  

Good God, it is pouring out there during the Pats game,  what a mess, this is when guys get hurt

Rosalie,

Regards

Heart-wrenching highlight Hail Mary play, thrown into triple coverage. I don't know how he came down with that. All they had to do is swat away the ball.

I almost shed a tear for you when I saw it. Almost. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 am

great win by the Pats in what appeared to be a monsoon.  

Gee, too bad so many key guys opted out but I have to say that CJ Jackson, Meyers and Harris have really played well.

Go Pats!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:49 pm

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Rosalie,

Regards

Heart-wrenching highlight Hail Mary play, thrown into triple coverage.  I don't know how he came down with that.  All they had to do is swat away the ball.

I almost shed a tear for you when I saw it.  Almost.  Sad

Yeah, I know...Almost!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down