dboss
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
kdp59
wideclyde
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where is Poirier? Empty Where is Poirier?

Post by wideclyde Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:34 am

With the Cs being fairly shallow at the center position, what has happened to Poirier?

I hope that he is gaining ground on making the transition to the NBA, and I think that it is far too early to label him as a bust, but he does not even get into the games yet except in blowout situations.

Thoughts?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Where is Poirier? Empty Re: Where is Poirier?

Post by kdp59 Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:51 am

wideclyde wrote:With the Cs being fairly shallow at the center position, what has happened to Poirier?

I hope that he is gaining ground on making the transition to the NBA, and I think that it is far too early to label him as a bust, but he does not even get into the games yet except in blowout situations.

Thoughts?

looks like he's firmly planted on the bench.

Obviously the coaching staff doesn't trust him over Grant W. or Semi at center.....at least right now.

Look, the guy has played for what 6 years in Europe and never got another NBA deal. Expecting a lot from him (especially early) may be on us fans more than him.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 am

kdp59 wrote:
wideclyde wrote:With the Cs being fairly shallow at the center position, what has happened to Poirier?

Thoughts?

looks like he's firmly planted on the bench.

Obviously the coaching staff doesn't trust him over Grant W. or Semi at center.....at least right now.

Look, the guy has played for what 6 years in Europe and never got another NBA deal. Expecting  a lot from him (especially early) may be on us fans more than him.

Excellent point.

If the guy can be an emergency stop-gap, that should be more than enough.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am

It’s still very early, he will get a shot at some point. In the limited minutes he got, I still like his potential.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 am

VP is caught up in a numbers game.

With Kanter missing games you would think that VP would get some minutes but guys like Theis and RW are ahead of him in the rotation.  Theis is a veteran and RW is developing.  Brad may have dwarfed his development last year but this year he is expected to contribute.

There is no reasonable way for Brad to play 4 centers.  One of the 4 centers will be a deep reserve center.  

At some point VP should get an opportunity but as this team works to establish chemistry by providing consistent playing time, it is damn difficult to include everybody.

Brad is still in the data collection phase as he searches for optimum efficiencies at both ends of the court.  I still think it is a process that will take 20+ games to figure out and more adjustments after that.

I hope VP does not get discouraged.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am

One week later, and Poirier still is in hiding deep on the Celtics bench.

I understand that not everyone can play 20 minutes in every game, he may or may not get his chance, he is a 'rookie' in the NBA even though he has played several years as a pro in Europe, etc, etc. BUT, this guy cannot seem to be able to earn anything but garbage time minutes.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:20 pm

If Brad continues to give G Williams minutes at the 5, I do not see how VP can get any run.

I think Grant would be a better fit for rotation minutes at the 4.

VP can not get a break even with Kanter missing 5 straight games.  I am reminded that it is a long season so there is still time for him.

But the underlying numbers do not work in his favor.  Theis is playing well as is Williams and Kanter will be back soon.

VP is like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 pm

dboss wrote:

Quote of the day.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:46 pm

dboss wrote:If Brad continues to give G Williams minutes at the 5, I do not see how VP can get any run.

I think Grant would be a better fit for rotation minutes at the 4.

VP can not get a break even with Kanter missing 5 straight games.  I am reminded that it is a long season so there is still time for him.

But the underlying numbers do not work in his favor.  Theis is playing well as is Williams and Kanter will be back soon.

or bring a knife to a gun fight. bounce
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Or busier than a cat trying to cover turds on a marble floor or a cross-eyed air traffic controller!

db

I'll see myself out...
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm

The danger here is that he could get discouraged.  I recall a statement by him that indicated that he was not coming over here to sit on the bench.

Danny signed this guy to add depth at center after Al walked and Aron got traded.  It was a smart move from a depth perspective.  I sure hope no promises were made in terms of his utilization.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:11 am

Late November, and Poirier still cannot get off the bench. What is the problem?

At this point, Tacko would be able to contribute far more than Poirier, but he is still in Maine.

On yet another night with extreme shallowness at the center spot, Mr. Poirier cannot even make an appearance?

I am about ready to start to consider this guy as a very poor signing, but hope that I am wrong.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:39 am

Clyde,

Poor signing, perhaps. But at a low enough price, at a time we had an unknown center situation, worth a shot. I applaud Danny & Co. for taking a look.

I'm not trying to pile it on the poor guy, but in his limited minutes I don't think I've seen a center whose movement was less fluid or who was more out of his element. I'd go as far as to say he could be the worst NBA center I've ever seen; in that short time. I believe he will go back overseas and be just fine in that level competition.

Although they're completely undersized, I think short stints we've seen of micro small-ball, with Tatum, G Williams, or Semi in the 5 spot, are sufficient behind the main three.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:06 am

VP is a reserve center.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:12 pm

dboss,

I fully understand that Poirier was not signed to be a first string guy, but with only 13 men allowed to dress, don't you think that he should have found a way to make at least a mini contribution on the game court by now?

I just have a difficult time understanding why we play two 6'6 guys (Williamson and Olejeye) at the center when we have a 7 foot guy as a reserve center.

Hey, I don't dislike this guy personally and have hardly even seen him play. But, as a full rostered player I am disappointed that he cannot get on the court 15 games into the season especially with injuries to Kanter, Williams and Theis.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm

NYCelt wrote:Clyde,

Poor signing, perhaps. But at a low enough price, at a time we had an unknown center situation, worth a shot. I applaud Danny & Co. for taking a look.

I'm not trying to pile it on the poor guy, but in his limited minutes I don't think I've seen a center whose movement was less fluid or who was more out of his element. I'd go as far as to say he could be the worst NBA center I've ever seen; in that short time. I believe he will go back overseas and be just fine in that level competition.

Although they're completely undersized, I think short stints we've seen of micro small-ball, with Tatum, G Williams, or Semi in the 5 spot, are sufficient behind the main three.

Regards

the worst I seen....not for me.

Fab Melo comes to mind quickly

Maybe Poirier takes a buyout after the first of the year and goes back to Euro ball and then we can have Tacko night EVERY night!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm

No one here understands what is happening in practice, so if he isnt performing there - he wont get on the court. He is making 2.5 million dollars to sit on his ass. Not too upset about it.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 pm

I have seen him on the court. Not withstanding it takes time to find your goove , but he does not look like a good fit.

He is a reserve center that will play if the Celtics get 2 centers hurt.  There is no way to get him minutes without taking minutes away from Theis, Kanter and Williams.  A 4 headed center is a fantasy.

He is in reserve.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 pm

I am glad that he is in reserve, but hope that we never have to have him actually have to play any significant minutes

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:26 pm

From the little I've seen, the team played well when Poirier was on the floor. He looked a little lost, but the team didn't. As for the logjam, Theis can play the 4, particularly against tall teams. I still think we'll see more of Poirier, hopefully not because of injuries. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:19 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:From the little I've seen, the team played well when Poirier was on the floor. He looked a little lost, but the team didn't. As for the logjam, Theis can play the 4, particularly against tall teams. I still think we'll see more of Poirier, hopefully not because of injuries. Hawk

Brad does not let Theis play 4 that much so him playing 4 does not really open up minutes for Poirier. I do see him as that classic reserve center that will. only get spot minutes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm

HE'S BACK!

Lets hope that his time out of uniform has helped him get at least a little bit better

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Poirier played sloppy and blew his return.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am

Probably time to move on now. He simply can;t give the Celtics what they seem to want from a big man

Tacko gives us more and is younger and cheaper, so buy out the Frenchman and sign Fall to a two year minimum deal with a team option for a third year if possible,
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:50 pm

VP played all of 5 minutes last night.

He has never played well for Boston so his return to action has no point of reference to consider.

I do not see Boston eating his contract but I would not have a problem with them making a trade.  They have 2 late first round picks and maybe you could use one of them to entice a trade partner.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next