dbrown4
kdp59
gyso
atcross
9 posters

Go down

NBA League Pass? Empty NBA League Pass?

Post by atcross Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 pm

I've been very frustrated with the stop and start buffering of LP. I assumed this was because of my slow internet so just upgraded my internet from very slow to very fast. It still stops and starts during the live broadcast, either via my browser or via Roku. Anyone else have this problem. I'm beginning to believe it is LP and not me.

atcross

Back to top Go down

NBA League Pass? Empty Re: NBA League Pass?

Post by gyso Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:13 pm

I have League Pass. Sometimes it buffers. Sometimes it freezes and I have to start it over.

I bought new wireless hardware over the holidays and it happens less. I bought a Eero mesh system. It has three "pods" that spreads out the WiFi to a large house. It is supposed to eliminate dead spots.

Sounds like a commercial, but I don't have a pony in this race. The guys at Best Buy said it's the best buy. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 pm

gyso wrote:I have League Pass.  Sometimes it buffers.  Sometimes it freezes and I have to start it over.  

I bought new wireless hardware over the holidays and it happens less. I bought a Eero mesh system.  It has three "pods" that spreads out the WiFi to a large house.  It is supposed to eliminate dead spots.  

Sounds like a commercial, but I don't have a pony in this race.  The guys at Best Buy said it's the best buy.  LOL
The browser is ethernet hardwired to the modem and the Roku is 6 feet from the wireless. So better wireless wouldn't seem to be the issue.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Are your modem and router relatively new?

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am

gyso wrote:Are your modem and router relatively new?
Brand new.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 am

Hated league pass not on TV.

always had problems once Turner took over.

quit using it on TV when they decided that I was blacked out on Philly/Bos games, even though my local demo is the Wizards!!

Turner couldn't figure it out and so I said F- U, I'll keep my money and stream it online

works as well as LP streaming for me, just have a good updated virus scanning.

Turner is for shit , if you ask me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:47 am

Still don't have a great explanation for blackouts in this day and age. Anyone know the reasoning why this archaic method is still being practiced today? i.e. why am I getting penalized for Charlotte not selling out their Boston game when I live in Raleigh, NC 3 hours away?

Time for the TV/Internet world to get into the 21st Century, IMHBAO!

db

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 am

Hi,
I have LP. Last game's streaming was awful. I tried 3 different providers (Cricket, Verizon, Spectrum) - more or less the same. Only after the beginning of the 3rd quarter it started to be normal.
Unfortunately, there's no one in the NBA to complain to.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:27 am

Right now, cable is feeling the pinch.  They will literally give you ANYTHING you ask for, no matter how unreasonable.  

I am on AT&T U-verse and twice I have asked them for additions for little or no cost.  

The first time I signed up for LP the cable package I was on did not include NBATV.  I had to upgrade to the next package of 100+ more channels just to get the NBATV channel added on.  I nicely told them I did not want all those channels I'm never going to watch and that I would gladly pay them ala carte $5/month just to add the NBATV channel.

They came back with the following:  For $1 more per month, we will give you NBATV AND all the new channels on the next tier (100+ channels including Showtime, Epic Movies, etc.)  

So guess who looks like an idiot if they say no to that?!!

2nd time I went back because I wanted the NBCSports Boston and the College Boston channels.  Again, all I wanted was these two channels and said I would pay $10/month more for just those two channels.  They come back with "for $7 more per month we will give you those two channels PLUS all the regional sports channels (another 100+ channels).  And again, who looks like the idiot for saying no to that?!

Clearly, they are feeling the heat from the Rokus, etc. of the world.  Once again, where all this is heading is ala carte viewing.  Pick only the channels you want to watch.  No packages.  Build your own channel line up where you can add more channels at any time for a price per channel.  No one can watch 3,000 channels.  That's ridiculous and has been ridiculous for years.  Nobody likes that much shit nor has the time for that much shit.  The streaming services are getting there and getting closer to this model, that's what's killing/going to kill cable.  The streamers are kinda in a hybrid of it now, but trust me, that's where they are going.  The sooner these folks start thinking like the way we watch TV and match their model to our reality, they will be the HUGE winners.  Just like Bill Gates when he created Windows.  That's how our minds work.  Get on it!  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am

dbrown4 wrote:Still don't have a great explanation for blackouts in this day and age.  Anyone know the reasoning why this archaic method is still being practiced today?  i.e.  why am I getting penalized for Charlotte not selling out their Boston game when I live in Raleigh, NC 3 hours away?

db

db
Yes, that's another issue with LP. I live in northern NM. I'm blacked out for Denver and Phoenix. Denver is a six hour drive and Phoenix over seven. I don't get any channel showing their games on my current DISH package. One city I might understand but not both. I can probably get that changed but haven't bothered. I had a similar problem living in western CO and the blocked both Denver and Utah.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:34 am

atcross wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:Still don't have a great explanation for blackouts in this day and age.  Anyone know the reasoning why this archaic method is still being practiced today?  i.e.  why am I getting penalized for Charlotte not selling out their Boston game when I live in Raleigh, NC 3 hours away?

db

db
Yes, that's another issue with LP. I live in northern NM. I'm blacked out for Denver and Phoenix. Denver is a six hour drive and Phoenix over seven. I don't get any channel showing their games on my current DISH package. One city I might understand but not both. I can probably get that changed but haven't bothered. I had a similar problem living in western CO and the blocked both Denver and Utah.

You should call them. You should be able to eliminate at least one of the blackouts, maybe both. They may work with you on that.

Maybe they will turn on the regional channel that shows the Denver games (closest), keep the blackouts in affect for them and remove the blackouts of the Phoenix games.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 pm

atcross wrote:I've been very frustrated with the stop and start buffering of LP. I assumed this was because of my slow internet so just upgraded my internet from very slow to very fast. It still stops and starts during the live broadcast, either via my browser or via Roku. Anyone else have this problem. I'm beginning to believe it is LP and not me.
atcross

With respect to your internet speed what is it?  You can run a check to determine the actual speed.

I also use a roku device to connect to the internet.  But the actual app is the NBA App.  Roku also offers the app through them but I use the NBA team pass app.

Last year I had problems with buffering and it would disconnect every 40 minutes or so and I had to reload the app.  I use a wifi connection.  I found out the the NBA app itself had glitches which they have fixed.  But I did have to upgrade my internet speed.  So I have have only had one occurrence since last season around this time.

One time this year I called the NBA help desk because a game was suppose to be on and it was not.  They said there was a technical problem.  Hung up with them and bam, the game was available.

I do not have LP.  I just have TP.  I figure there are enough games on other than Celtics games that I can watch on TNT and the ESPN networks.

My goal is singular.  Be able to watch every Celtics game and do so for the lowest cost and a great transmission.  That is why I went to the Youtube streaming service because NBATV is included as well as 3 of the ESPN Netowrks,  TNT, TBS as well as all the major networks that broadcast NBA games.  That main service combined with my Team Pass subscription gives me 100% access to the Celtics.  Also since this is a streaming service I can watch games anywhere provided there is an internet connection

Overall monthly cost $49.99 Youtube and $14.99 Team Pass (will be turned off middle of April)  At &T home phone and high speed Internet approximately $110 per month.  There may be and will be better deals out there than this one as streaming services become the preferred method for media.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Dboss is right, you should measure your internet speed. Cable companies lie all the time about their speeds. Google fiber speed test is a good one - you can google it.

You might want to check your task manager when you see LP freezing. If your computer is downloading updates or something this can make your connection seem slow. Also, you can see if any programs are hogging your memory (which would affect buffering). Chrome is a notorious memory hog, especially if you have multiple tabs open (though I think the newer versions are better).

Since I am no longer in the Boston area, I use league pass all the time to watch the Celtics with very few problems. The only thing that bugs me is when games televised on nbatv are blacked out since nbatv is not part of my cable package.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 pm

dboss wrote:With respect to your internet speed what is it? 

40 to 60MPS

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Dboss is right, you should measure your internet speed. Cable companies lie all the time about their speeds. Google fiber speed test is a good one - you can google it.

You might want to check your task manager when you see LP freezing. If your computer is downloading updates or something this can make your connection seem slow. Also, you can see if any programs are hogging your memory (which would affect buffering). Chrome is a notorious memory hog, especially if you have multiple tabs open (though I think the newer versions are better).

Since I am no longer in the Boston area, I use league pass all the time to watch the Celtics with very few problems. The only thing that bugs me is when games televised on nbatv are blacked out since nbatv is not part of my cable package.
Thanks. 40 to 60MPS is from a speed test. Actually the provider only promises 25MPS. I recently retired as a software analyst and so I notice things like heavy disk access. And I have tried shutting down all essential PC processes. But the problem exists regardless of the device.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:15 pm

atcross wrote:
dboss wrote:With respect to your internet speed what is it? 

40 to 60MPS
That speed should be sufficient.  Who did you purchase your LP from? Who do you pay?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Like gyso, I also have the eero mesh network connecting everything throughout the house. I have League Pass and don't stream it, but watch via the DirecTV wireless system. Download speed coming in is 118Mbps. There's never going to be a buffering issue that way. I wonder if your download speed at 40 to 60Mbps is part of the issue?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:38 pm

NY,

Did you round up?  I have 117.92.  I did it multiple times, that's the best score.  Always above 116.

I connect to my TV wirelessly with a Firebox.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:45 pm

atcross wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:Dboss is right, you should measure your internet speed. Cable companies lie all the time about their speeds. Google fiber speed test is a good one - you can google it.

Thanks. 40 to 60MPS is from a speed test. Actually the provider only promises 25MPS. I recently retired as a software analyst and so I notice things like heavy disk access. And I have tried shutting down all essential PC processes. But the problem exists regardless of the device.

Yeah, that should be fast enough to stream games, and if the problem exists across devices, then its not device related. Weird...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:26 pm

NYCelt wrote:Like gyso, I also have the eero mesh network connecting everything throughout the house. I have League Pass and don't stream it, but watch via the DirecTV wireless system. Download speed coming in is 118Mbps. There's never going to be a buffering issue that way. I wonder if your download speed at 40 to 60Mbps is part of the issue?

Well I was getting 6 to 8 MPS before so now I'm ten times faster, which I see evidence of in other streaming media. But LP seems to still have issues. As noted by someone above, in the Memphis game the first half was stop and start and the second fine. I live in a very rural area so my internet options are limited and pricey. But 40MPS should be plenty fast enough. I'm typically the only one in the house using it during that time.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Makes me glad I live in Berlin.

I have LP and no problems since I switched providers last year with 50 Mps. And of course no blackouts. I usually watch the day after games but also occasionally live.

You guys have my sympathy.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 pm

gyso wrote:NY,

Did you round up?  I have 117.92.  I did it multiple times, that's the best score.  Always above 116.

I connect to my TV wirelessly with a Firebox.

Very Happy

I'm guessing you also use the phone app for your eero? Mine shows exactly 118 down 12 up; almost always at that speed, no rounding. Net comes in through a cable provider (Spectrum).
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down