atcross
worcester
Ktron
willjr
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 2 Empty Re: Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 am

Brad is giving Carsen a chance to shine in SL, and hopefully he'll be able to trade him as a result.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 2 Empty Re: Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:19 am

Grant refused to paly in SL? I guess he realized the Celtics were trying to showcase him for a trade.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
worcester wrote:Keep Parker and Fernando. Dump Dunn and Edwards. Let Ime coach.

I think I read Edwards has a 4 year guaranteed contract, great job by his agent.

Cow,

He signed a 4-year contract with the 4th year being a TEAM option. So, given the quality (or lack thereof) of his play he really just signed a 3 year contract. He is entering his 3rd year so this is his last guaranteed salary. He'll make $1.7M. Still a helluva job by his agent getting a 2nd rounder signed for that long based upon the NCAAs and Summer League.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:48 am

I do not think Williams refused to play in the summer league. I think the team felt he was better served working on his game and his body here in boston. However, he was sitting in the front row with Jaylen and Richardson last night in Vegas. That is not in Williams character to refuse to do what the team wanted of hi. I do think he could have played just to get the work in. But who am I
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:07 am

Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

Here's a more detailed article about that

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/08/10/did-grant-williams-make-right-decision-skipping-summer-league

Something extraordinary would have to happen for Grant Williams to become a good basketball player.  Divine intervention would be needed or some fantasy supply of a super elixir from the Space Jam movie.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:28 am

Cow has the super elixir.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am

NYCelt wrote:Not sure what we’ll do with him. He’s been a 6th man, maybe that’s his fit in Boston. I guess more depth isn’t bad.
We really could use another big. I thought that would be what they would be looking for.

I thought about that too as far as adding another big. But now that Kanter is back for a year before returning to Portland a focus on a PF would not be unreasonable. Maybe if they make another trade they could address that area.

Schroder has been a starting PG his last 2 years in Atl and last year with the Lakers. I see him coming off the bench for Smart. I do not know how that will affect minutes for PP. Smart can play some 2 and I also think that PP can play off the ball because he is a really good catch and shoot guy. At times we may see two PG's in a lineup. Udoka will figure this out. Schroder is only here for this year. I read that Boston is limited in how much they can resign him for because they do no have Bird Rights. The injury factor of course has to be considered and we know that Smart has a history of pulling, ripping, tearing or breaking a part of his body in the pursuit of his normal kamikaze activities. Depth at the point definitely makes the Celtics a better team.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:07 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I do not think Williams refused to play in the summer league. I think the team felt he was better served working on his game and his body here in boston.  However, he was sitting in the front row with Jaylen and Richardson last night in Vegas.  That is not in Williams character to refuse to do what the team wanted of hi.  I do think he could have played just to get the work in. But who am I

From another thread:

bobheckler wrote:https://www.asherrodblakely.com/post/why-did-grant-williams-take-a-pass-on-summer-league-this-year

Why did Grant Williams take a pass on summer league this year?

LAS VEGAS -- When the Boston Celtics' season came to an end, Grant Williams had some options to consider.

Near the top of his list was whether to play for Boston’s summer league team.

In an exclusive one-on-one interview, Williams said Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, his head coach in each of Williams’ two NBA seasons, gave him the option of playing in summer league or not.

“If I hadn’t played or if I was hurt, maybe I would have played in summer league,” Williams said. “But since I had the opportunity to play the past two years, we thought it would be best for me to focus on my body and training and get better for next season.”

Williams, drafted by Boston with the No. 22 pick in the 2019 NBA draft, has appeared in 132 regular season games with the Celtics.

A career 4.0 points per game scorer, Williams has also averaged 2.7 rebounds and 1.0 assists while shooting 42.6 percent from the field and 32.0 percent from 3-point range.

Williams was often criticized last season for his lack of offensive production, averaging 4.7 points in 18.1 minutes per game.

Along with continuing to improve his strength and conditioning, Williams said improving as a scorer has been among the primary goals he has set for himself heading into training camp.

“Just improving on the perimeter and more offensive development,” said Williams.

While Williams’ shooting last season left plenty of room for growth, his numbers by season’s end were significantly better than they were during his rookie season.

In his first season, nba.com/stats show that Williams made 27.8 percent of his shots from 20-24 feet out, and 22.5 percent of his shots from 25-29 feet.

Last season, his shooting from 20-24 feet improved to 43.1 percent. And on shots 25-29 feet away, he improved his shooting to 30.4 percent.

“Next is just being more versatile; that’s the next step,” Williams said.

Along with becoming more of a scoring threat, Williams must also balance that with his new role as one of the leaders of the NBA’s Players Association.

Williams, 22, was recently elected as a Vice-President of the NBA’s Players Association.

“I’m blessed to help lead this league into the future,” Williams said. “But also, just make an impact for the guys like myself that are young and developing and trying to hopefully make key decisions that are best for the league.”

When word spread that Williams had been elected, count Celtics teammate Carsen Edwards among those not surprised.

Edwards recalled how Williams’ efforts to be part of the player union’s leadership team, began during their rookie seasons.

“For All-Star break we went to the Bahamas and had NBAPA meeting there,” Edwards recalled. “Grant, at that point was trying to get elected. He didn’t, but at the time the way he spoke about the league and the changes he wants to make, I felt like … his time was coming. He knows a little about everything, I swear. This is a good place for him. I’m happy for him.”

Williams added, “I’m blessed to help lead this league into the future. But also, just make an impact for the guys like myself that are young and developing and trying to hopefully make key decisions that are best for the league.”

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:56 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-roster-new-depth-chart-after-dennis-schroder-deal?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Celtics roster reset: Another move coming after Schroder deal?

1H AGO

BY DARREN HARTWELL
CELTICS

Brad Stevens isn't exactly easing into his job as new Boston Celtics president of basketball operations.

The Celtics made another move Tuesday night by landing free-agent point guard Dennis Schroder on a reported one-year, $5.9 million contract. Schroder joins a crowded backcourt that includes fellow newcomers Kris Dunn and Josh Richardson, who were acquired in trades after the 2021 NBA Draft.

Add in Al Horford, Enes Kanter and Bruno Fernando while subtracting Kemba Walker and Evan Fournier, and the Celtics' supporting cast for Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown will look a whole lot different in 2021-22.

Boston may not be done dealing, either. Before we get into what could come next, let's lay out the team's potential starting lineup and current depth chart.

Celtics' projected starting lineup
PG MARCUS SMART
SG DENNIS SCHRODER
SF JAYLEN BROWN
PF JAYSON TATUM
C ROBERT WILLIAMS

If the Celtics want a bigger lineup, they could insert Horford or Kanter at power forward and bring Schroder off the bench. Schroder comes to Boston with "no expectation" of a starting role, per CelticsBlog's Keith Smith, and could shine on the second unit like he did in Oklahoma City, where he finished second in NBA Sixth Man of the Year voting in 2020.

Why Smart over Schroder at point guard? Ime Udoka suggested Wednesday that's the role Smart desires, and the new Celtics head coach seems to be on board with that plan.

Udoka has plenty of options in the backcourt, though. Let's check out Boston's current depth chart.

Celtics current depth chart (17 players)

PG MARCUS SMART, DENNIS SCHRODER, PAYTON PRITCHARD, KRIS DUNN, CARSEN EDWARDS
SG JOSH RICHARDSON, ROMEO LANGFORD
SF JAYLEN BROWN, AARON NESMITH, GRANT WILLIAMS, SAM HAUSER*
PF JAYSON TATUM, AL HORFORD, JABARI PARKER
C ROBERT WILLIAMS, ENES KANTER, BRUNO FERNANDO
*Two-way deal

Newsflash: The Celtics aren't keeping five point guards. It's hard to envision Edwards staying on this roster, and Boston reportedly was exploring trade options for Dunn before adding Schroder, so it's possible he'll be on the move, as well.

A three-man point guard rotation of Smart, Schroder and Pritchard -- with the flexibility to play Smart and Schroder in the same lineups -- seems like the natural outcome, with Richardson and Langford as shooting guards off the bench.

In the frontcourt, Stevens could free up salary by parting with Parker and his non-guaranteed contract, while Fernando could be included in trade talks involving Dunn.

Roster moves are coming either way, as the Celtics can only carry 15 players on their in-season roster. But this group may only require some minor tinkering, as Stevens has managed to surround Tatum and Brown with solid talent while avoiding the "hard cap" and maintaining financial flexibility entering the 2022 offseason.

Bob
MY NOTE:  First of all what Ime said is that Smart "wants the ball in his hands more".  That's not the same thing as starting.  Smart consistently plays starter minutes regardless of when he first steps on the floor.  Secondly, Grant Williams is not a 'SF'.  He lacks the footspeed and scoring ability.  He is an undersized PF, or a smallball 5, but do we really want to see him matched up against PG13 or some other SF?  Thirdly, what with all the push towards multi-position players and how every team is constantly creating mismatches with switches I'm thinking the whole old school 1-5 nomenclature is obsolete.  Al Horford can play PF and Center (4 or 5), Jaylen can play SG or SF (2 or 3).  Is Jaylen a big guard or is he a smallish small forward?  Depends upon who he's matched up against.  I'm not quite sure going full Brad (where there are only 3 categories:  ball handler, wing and big) isn't an oversimplification but saying that Carsen Edwards, who has very limited playmaking abilities, is a PG is silly.  He's a SG in a very small PG body. He's more of a SG than Romeo. Lastly, I completely agree with Hartwell's conclusion that "Roster moves are coming either way".  Brad isn't done yet.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Grant Williams is a SF, Slow Forward
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:13 pm

dboss wrote:The potential PG rotation just got a lot deeper.  I think that moving Dunn would definitely open up more playing time for PP.  Everybody knows PP is my guy so I am biased.

I really do not think Brad would have used a TPE on Dunn if he knew Schroder would be available for $5.9 mill.  Dunn only played in 4 games last year and before that 51, 46, 52 and 78.  He is also another guy that cannot shoot the ball  (30% career 3 pt shooter)  

The expectations are low but how do you move off of a $5 million deal?  

As far as Parker is concerned, I watched him play and hoped for the best.  He has proven to be a defensive liability.  He can score as we have seen but he is not a guy that can stretch the floor.  His non-guaranteed contract makes him the likely candidate to be gone.

Roster spots are filling up all over the NBA.

I would like to see a 2 for 1 deal sending Dunn and Parker out if we can bring back a PF who is affordable.  Brad could throw in a 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal for example.  Of course I have no idea who that player might be.

Of course. Maybe Bruno’s your PF.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Liking Bruno's size, agility, and nose for the rim
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:25 pm

dboss wrote:The Celtics would like to remain under the tax threshold.  They could accomplish that by waiving Parker and stretching CE.

If they just waive Parker they would have a small tax payment due after the season.  During the season they would still have a chance to dip under the tax if they made a move.

I'm just throwing these options out there.

Right now, do we have any other roster needs for this team?

Can we just trade Grant Williams who refused to play in Summer League?  Since this is his last season on this team why wait?  

Stretch Carson Edwards? Boy, that is a stretch….
Grant was giving a choice by the team regarding playing in Summer League. He chose not to. He had legitimate reasons. Doesn’t sound like a refusal to me.
Quit picking on Grant. He’s bigger than you and knows where you live.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:27 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chris-mannix-dennis-schroder-potentially-010225146.html

Chris Mannix: Dennis Schroder 'potentially offseason-saving' for Celtics

Justin Leger
Tue, August 10, 2021, 6:02 PM

The Boston Celtics made their biggest splash of the offseason on Tuesday, signing veteran point guard Dennis Schroder to a one-year contract.

Schroder's deal reportedly is for the $5.9 million mid-level exception, which is extremely team-friendly considering the Los Angeles Lakers offered him an $84 million contract earlier this summer. The Germany native rounds out the Celtics' backcourt, and he could either serve as the sixth man or be the team's starting point guard in 2021-22.

Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix believes the signing may have turned around an otherwise disappointing offseason for Boston.

"I think this is a potentially offseason-saving deal," Mannix said Tuesday on NBC Sports Boston. "I thought it was only a matter of weeks before we were having a discussion during the season about where was the offense going to come from outside of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. Now you have an answer to that question.

"Schroder is an immensely talented offensive player. He did it as a third guard in Oklahoma City two years ago, he did it with the Lakers in spurts last season. One thing I point you to is look at the numbers that Schroder put up and how the Lakers played when they were healthy with Schroder, LeBron [James] and Anthony Davis all on the floor. They were monsters when those three guys were healthy and playing well.

"Schroder had a tough end to last season largely due to the COVID infection he suffered, but this guy can absolutely play. Whether it's as a first guard off the bench or as a starter, which I still think is a possibility, he is going to have a major impact on this Celtics team."

In 61 games last season, Schroder averaged 15.4 points and 5.8 assists while shooting 43.7 percent from the field. He joins Marcus Smart, Payton Pritchard and Kris Dunn on the C's point guard depth chart.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I take what Mannix says with a grain of salt but what he's saying here makes sense because it's almost intuitively obvious.  I can fault him for boring me but not for his conclusions.  Our off-season before this was underwhelming.  I think we all understand the need to do some housecleaning of both players and contracts but, still, not much for us to talk about until this signing.  As I have stated earlier in this thread I don't see any downside to signing Dennis Schroder for one year @ $5+M.  To me it's a no-brainer.  Pritchard will still get his minutes.  Schroder is a proven, high-quality 6th man.  He may be a mediocre starter, or maybe that was just the system he was in with the Lakers, who liked to use LeBron as a floor general.  If he's a locker room cancer he'll be gone before the trade deadline.  If he's a good teammate he still might be gone by the trade deadline because Brad now has a $5+M expiring contract he can use for packaging.  As long as I never see him in a Celtic jersey with #17 on it again I'm good with all this.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:28 pm

dboss wrote:Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/08/10/did-grant-williams-make-right-decision-skipping-summer-league

Something extraordinary would have to happen for Grant Williams to become a good basketball player.  Divine intervention would be needed or some fantasy supply of a super elixir from the Space Jam movie.

And where does it say he REFUSED??

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:The potential PG rotation just got a lot deeper.  I think that moving Dunn would definitely open up more playing time for PP.  Everybody knows PP is my guy so I am biased.

I really do not think Brad would have used a TPE on Dunn if he knew Schroder would be available for $5.9 mill.  Dunn only played in 4 games last year and before that 51, 46, 52 and 78.  He is also another guy that cannot shoot the ball  (30% career 3 pt shooter)  

The expectations are low but how do you move off of a $5 million deal?  

As far as Parker is concerned, I watched him play and hoped for the best.  He has proven to be a defensive liability.  He can score as we have seen but he is not a guy that can stretch the floor.  His non-guaranteed contract makes him the likely candidate to be gone.

Roster spots are filling up all over the NBA.

I would like to see a 2 for 1 deal sending Dunn and Parker out if we can bring back a PF who is affordable.  Brad could throw in a 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal for example.  Of course I have no idea who that player might be.

Of course. Maybe Bruno’s your PF.

ktron

Not maybe, definitely not.

I think Bruno is more suited at center. It seems like PF's are SF's with more size. The ability to stretch the floor appears to be the direction that teams are heading.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:37 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

And where does it say he REFUSED??

ktron

Who pissed in your Corn flakes this morning.

Refused - indicate that one is not willing to accept or grant (something offered or requested).
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:53 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-nba-exec-dennis-schroder-163338346.html

Former NBA exec: Dennis Schroder to Celtics 'best bargain' of free agency

Nick Goss
Wed, August 11, 2021, 9:33 AM

The Boston Celtics didn't have a ton of options remaining to sign a talented player at this late stage of NBA free agency, but they were able to add one Tuesday.

The Celtics reportedly acquired free agent point guard Dennis Schroder on a one-year deal worth $5.9 million (the mid-level exception). Schroder reportedly turned down a four-year extension worth $84 million from the Los Angeles Lakers earlier this year.

Reaction to the signing from the C's perspective was quite positive on social media Tuesday night. ESPN analyst and former Brooklyn Nets executive Bobby Marks was very complimentary of the deal on Twitter:

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42
Dennis Schroder on the $5.9M tax ML is the best bargain of the 2021 offseason.

Certainly the market dictated all of this but the Celtics got a steal at that price.
4:19 PM · Aug 10, 2021

Getting a starting point guard in the prime of his career who can average between 15-20 points per game and give you a physical/emotional edge for less than $6 million is tremendous value for the Celtics.

Boston needed another scoring guard after trading Kemba Walker to the Oklahoma City Thunder in June, and Schroder definitely can fill that role.

Schroder also should be highly motivated to fit into the Celtics locker room and play at a high level with the hopes of earning a multi-year deal in free agency next summer.

There's little-to-no downside in adding Schroder. If he plays well, it's an amazing bargain. If it's not working out, his contract is very tradeable given its low salary. This is the type of low-risk/high-reward signing that contending teams close to the salary cap need to make to improve their roster.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Every word of this is what I have been saying for the past 24+ hours.  They should just come here to this board and read what we have to say if they want to know what's what and save themselves a bunch of column-inches.   Very Happy

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:08 pm

Yes, Schroeder is a steal and could be a huge help to the squad this year. Brad has been very astute and made some amazing deals. He's been much better to Ime than Danny was to him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:17 pm

There's one worse than Schroder?

Victor Oladipo Is The Biggest Loser Of Free Agency After Rejecting $112M From Pacers And $45.2M From Rockets Only To Sign A Veteran's Minimum Deal This Offseason

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/victor-oladipo-is-the-biggest-loser-of-free-agency-after-rejecting-112m-from-pacers-and-452m-from-rockets-only-to-sign-a-veterans-minimum-deal-this-offseason/ar-AANc8lK

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:51 pm

worcester wrote:Liking Bruno's size, agility, and nose for the rim

Me too, he definitely has attributes for a good dirty work 4-5, still young and can improve.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:04 pm

prakash wrote:Fans hang on to straws.  Very Happy
                          whatever that means. Udoka will play the  guys that he, not you, chooses. The idea that Schroder , a rental, will take the minutes of three guys drafted by the Celtics, none of whom has as many as three years in the league, is ludicrous. When you were hellbent on getting rid of Smart, those guys were ready to step in. Now,they are dispensible because of DS? Seriously?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:23 pm

I have no objection to signing the guy, for all the reasons bobheckler stated, but outside of rheir "abrasive personalities, " Schroder's game has precious little in common with Rajon's. Score first versus assist machine.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:58 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I have no objection to signing the guy, for all the reasons bobheckler stated, but outside of rheir "abrasive personalities, " Schroder's game has precious little in common with Rajon's. Score first versus assist machine.

I remember when he first came in the league he said that he wanted to emulate Rondo. Maybe, sorta, kinda. As for abrasiveness, Rondo clashed with a couple of coaches and a number of opposing players. But with just one exception (RA) he got along really well with his teammates. In fact many of them have raved about his leadership and mentoring. I haven't found a single reference to a teammate saying how well liked Schroder was or how much he would be missed. Magic famously ripped him saying he was not a Laker and that he lacked leadership skills. So I don't think they have the same type of abrasive personalities.

Of course Schroder's saying the right things now, namely that he is willing to come off the bench. Maybe his little $80M loss has taught him a little humility. Regardless, he won't be here more than a year, at most. I do know that whether it's him or PP or a player yet to be named, I don't want Smart playing point. Start Smart at the 2 or bring him in as 6th man. I think when Smart was saying he wanted the ball in his hands more he was probably thinking of as opposed to Tatum. My starters would be PP, MS, JB, JT, and RW, with JR, AH, and DS first off the bench. Then RL, AN, and EK, depending on injuries and matchups. GW, CE, BF, KD, YM? Who knows. Subject to change moment to moment.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:The Celtics would like to remain under the tax threshold.  They could accomplish that by waiving Parker and stretching CE.

If they just waive Parker they would have a small tax payment due after the season.  During the season they would still have a chance to dip under the tax if they made a move.

I'm just throwing these options out there.

Right now, do we have any other roster needs for this team?

Can we just trade Grant Williams who refused to play in Summer League?  Since this is his last season on this team why wait?  

ktron

Stretch Carson Edwards? Boy, that is a stretch….
Grant was giving a choice by the team regarding playing in Summer League. He chose not to. He had legitimate reasons. Doesn’t sound like a refusal to me.
Quit picking on Grant. He’s bigger than you and knows where you live.

ktron I need for you to stretch your imagination.

Clearly you do not know what a refusal is.  And I refuse to explain it to you again.  I did not question his reasoning so you are barking up the wrong tree.

It is easy to pick on Grant.  

Quite frankly if he played he would probably muck up the rhythm.

If working on his own is what is best for him, I am all for it.  As a matter of fact I got a long list of things he may want to work on.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next