atcross
worcester
Ktron
willjr
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 3 Empty Re: Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics

Post by Berlin-T Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:13 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
worcester wrote:Liking Bruno's size, agility, and nose for the rim

Me too, he definitely has attributes for a good dirty work 4-5, still young and can improve.

Me three!
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 3 Empty Re: Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:19 pm

My gutters need cleaning.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:20 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
prakash wrote:Fans hang on to straws.  Very Happy
                          whatever that means. Udoka will play the  guys that he, not you, chooses. The idea that Schroder , a rental, will take the minutes of three guys drafted by the Celtics, none of whom has as many as three years in the league, is ludicrous. When you were hellbent on getting rid of Smart, those guys were ready to step in. Now,they are dispensible because of DS? Seriously?

Why this sensitivity? Is there a good reason?

When I didn't see the Celts committing to win now, I was advocating moves for the future.

Now I see an opportunity to win now. That means commitment to more veteran players.

The comment was referring to me, that I am possibly hanging on to straws thinking that the Celts CAN be competitive THIS year. Does that clarify? Why do you always assume that my comments are putting you down?

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:22 pm

worcester wrote:My gutters need cleaning.

LOL! Also, he may be able to reach without the need of a ladder.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:24 pm

prakash, I'm with you, hanging on to straws that we can win THIS season, Thor Heyerdahl lashed enough straws together to make a raft that carried him from South America across the Pacific. Let's not underestimate the power of straws.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:25 pm

prakash wrote:
worcester wrote:My gutters need cleaning.

LOL!  Also, he may be able to reach without the need of a ladder.

Same can't be said for Carsen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:48 pm

[quote="prakash"]
jrleftfoot wrote:
                          whatever that means. Udoka will play the  guys that he, not you, chooses. The idea that Schroder , a rental, will take the minutes of three guys drafted by the Celtics, none of whom has as many as three years in the league, is ludicrous. When you were hellbent on getting rid of Smart, those guys were ready to step in. Now,they are dispensible because of DS? Seriously?

Why this sensitivity?  Is there a good reason?

When I didn't see the Celts committing to win now, I was advocating moves for the future.

Now I see an opportunity to win now.  That means commitment to more veteran players.

The comment was referring to me, that I am possibly hanging on to straws thinking that the Celts CAN be competitive THIS year.  Does that clarify?  Why do you always assume that my comments are putting you down?[/quote.
Is your response sensitivity ? Upon Schroder's signing, you said that PP , Langford and Nesmith would be out of the rotation. I called bs. PP and Nesmith are far better shooters than DS and Langford and Nesmith don't even play the same position as Schroder. It seems that any time I disagree with one of your pronouncements, it brings out the snark in you. "Clarify" why those guys won't play, if you must clarify anything. In the meantime, you have solidified your credentials as a name groupie. I would have said star groupie, but DS is not one.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:18 pm

https://www.pinterest.com/oliviaakee/cute-groupie-names/
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:47 pm

Wow, other than BobH and Worcester it seems like most people here don't like this signing. 5.9 million for one year with no further commitments? For a guy who can easily give us 15 pts, 4+ assists, and 3.5 rebounds a night? And who is a pesky defender? At a position of weakness? Determined to show his value? I love this signing.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:04 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

Here's a more detailed article about that

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/08/10/did-grant-williams-make-right-decision-skipping-summer-league

Something extraordinary would have to happen for Grant Williams to become a good basketball player.  Divine intervention would be needed or some fantasy supply of a super elixir from the Space Jam movie.

And where does it say he REFUSED??

ktron

Who pissed in your Corn flakes this morning.

Refused - indicate that one is not willing to accept or grant (something offered or requested).

dboss, I hate cereal! Now serial killers……? Im with that. LOL
Thanks for the Dicktionary definition but we all know you were being mean. Grant grant some slack please.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 pm

Another thing to consider...many folks are asking what's the point in bringing Schdoeder in since this is a bridge year? The answer is that the better the Celtics are, the better the chance they have of signing talented veteran ring chasers going forward. Winning leads to winning. Losing leads to losing.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:10 pm

Y’all need to quit picking on poor little Carsen Edwards. Hey, do ball boys get paid?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:53 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
prakash wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

Why this sensitivity?  Is there a good reason?

Now I see an opportunity to win now.  That means commitment to more veteran players.

The comment was referring to me, that I am possibly hanging on to straws thinking that the Celts CAN be competitive THIS year.  Does that clarify?  Why do you always assume that my comments are putting you down?

Is your response sensitivity ?  Upon  Schroder's signing, you said that PP , Langford and Nesmith would be out of the rotation. I called bs. PP and Nesmith are far better shooters than DS and Langford and Nesmith don't even play the same position as Schroder. It seems that any time I disagree with one of your pronouncements, it brings out the snark in you. "Clarify" why those guys won't play, if you must clarify anything. In the meantime, you have solidified your credentials as a name groupie. I would have said star groupie, but DS is not one.

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 3 1f44d   As you say!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:01 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:Wow, other than BobH and Worcester it seems like most people here don't like this signing. 5.9 million for one year with no further commitments? For a guy who can easily give us 15 pts, 4+ assists, and 3.5 rebounds a night? And who is a pesky defender? At a position of weakness? Determined to show his value? I love this signing.

I will put myself in the intrigued/surprised category. This is not just adding DS. He is not being signed to sit at the end of the bench. He will play. Celts will be making other moves to clear the roster spot to enable his signing.

So if DS plays, how will that affect other possible goals? Bridge year, investing in player development?

I see this move as signalling compete now. I like that because we also get to maximize what is remaining in Horford's tank. It signals that Richardson will get a shot.

I am much happier and hopeful about the upcoming season now. Do the Celts have one more move in them? As we have heard, in two months, they can combine the players obtained using TPE to go after a larger salary player. The roster still appears to have some clutter.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:19 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:Wow, other than BobH and Worcester it seems like most people here don't like this signing. 5.9 million for one year with no further commitments? For a guy who can easily give us 15 pts, 4+ assists, and 3.5 rebounds a night? And who is a pesky defender? At a position of weakness? Determined to show his value? I love this signing.

Add me to the list.  Signing Schroder at the mini-MLE was a bargain.  It does push back Prichard's development a bit, but he can stand a little more time and seasoning.  

Yam heads back to Israel for another year.  He won't like it, but it holds off on his start of his rookie contract for another year.

Starters:

Marcus Smart, Josh Richardson, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and Al Horford.

Bench:

Prichard, Schroder
Nesmith, Langford
GWill, Parker
Rwill, Kanter, Bruno

Gone by trade (with nothing coming back):

Dunn, Edwards

That leaves 14 on the roster.  That also leaves us without a hard cap so we have flexibility going into the trading deadline.

I don't believe that Brad is done with the roster.  It still could get a tweak here and there before it is complete, maybe a bigger one at the deadline when the holes are identified by the coaching staff.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:56 am

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

Here's a more detailed article about that

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/08/10/did-grant-williams-make-right-decision-skipping-summer-league

Something extraordinary would have to happen for Grant Williams to become a good basketball player.  Divine intervention would be needed or some fantasy supply of a super elixir from the Space Jam movie.

And where does it say he REFUSED??

ktron

Who pissed in your Corn flakes this morning.

Refused - indicate that one is not willing to accept or grant (something offered or requested).

dboss, I hate cereal! Now serial killers……? Im with that. LOL
Thanks for the Dicktionary definition but we all know you were being mean. Grant grant some slack please.
Ktron 

Ah... you caught me.  Yes I was being mean.  How much slack should I grant em?

I have waited two years for him to prove me wrong.  He is a wasted roster spot.  I like his effort to work on his game but he has no game to work on.  He does not have any meaningful basketball skills.

Next year, when they decline to pick up his option, will bring us full circle back to the day DA crapped away the 2019 draft.  I could repost my comments about that draft.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:03 am

I like the signing as well so add me to the Bobh and Worcester list.

He is a quality BU PG that can also start.  He came cheap and solidifies the bridge.

If he disrupts the team he can be traded.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:10 am

I actually thought Grant would be much much better, thought he would easily surpass Ryan Gomes. Boy was I wrong….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:30 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-rumors-kris-dunn-trade-151910873.html

NBA Rumors: Kris Dunn trade still on Celtics' radar after Dennis Schroder deal

Darren Hartwell
Thu, August 12, 2021, 8:19 AM

Is another shoe about to drop in Boston?

Free agent Dennis Schroder reportedly agreed to a one-year, $5.9 million contract with the Celtics on Tuesday, giving the team a legitimate point guard to pair with incumbents Marcus Smart and Payton Pritchard.

It's a bit crowded in Boston's backcourt, though, as the team also recently traded for Atlanta Hawks point guard Kris Dunn. Bleacher Report's Jake Fischer reported prior to Schroder's addition that the Celtics were exploring potential trades for Dunn and fellow newcomer Bruno Fernando, and now that Schroder is on board, it appears that's still a possibility.

The C's may look to trade Dunn to "ease the backcourt logjam a bit," The Boston Globe's Adam Himmelsbach reports. New Celtics coach Ime Udoka also hinted at more roster shuffling Tuesday by referring to "some of the other guys we’re looking at bringing in" when speaking about recently-added guard Josh Richardson.

The Celtics have 16 players under contract and can only begin the season with 15, but they still have roster flexibility. Jabari Parker is on a non-guaranteed deal and can be released, while Boston can enter training camp with up to 20 players.

So in theory, new president of basketball operations Brad Stevens could pursue another big move -- perhaps looking into acquiring disgruntled Chicago Bulls forward Lauri Markkanen.

What's more likely, though, is that the Celtics try to flip Dunn and his $5 million salary for a future draft asset or a backup big man on a similar deal. That route would help Boston stay under the "hard cap" for the 2021-22 season and maintain financial flexibility heading into next summer.

Bob
MY NOTE:  This is where Brad can really show us his chops.  Kris Dunn is an underachiever for a #5 pick, and everybody knows it.  He is coming off a left ankle injury that required surgery and prevented him from finishing last season, and everybody knows it.  Even if Brad was inclined to be sly (not that he would try) there's really no way of fooling anybody here.  Dunn is a 27 years old high first rounder with years of NBA film that can be reviewed, he's not a 19 year old 2nd rounder from, oh let's just say, Israel.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Okay, I'll be the Grinch here. We rented a good BU PG. Suddenly we are a competitive team playing to win now? Besides DS we've added a mediocre SG in JR and a couple of good but limited (AH age, EK defense) bigs. We are dumping salary for a good reason and doing a good job of it. To suggest that we are also going to be significantly more competitive due to DS and JR... Now that's a stretch.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Watch the number of minutes Edwards spends on the floor these next few games, along with how many he already has. He is out there for a reason....The thing is, if he hasn't shown it by now, what is he going to show? I hope he has an agent that can get him overseas, get on a team, and finally show that Danny wasn't totally nuts drafting him.

I will only say that if Schroeder can help the bench, great. I will nhot lie, I have never been a fan of his, but he is here, for a year, and we might as well use whatever talents he has to win a few extra games. I am a Smart fan, hope he has a good year, and follows the direction of his new coachs. It's a whole new game Marcus, no Danny here to defend you, so better be on your best behavior, or the trade deadline will have you at the top of the list
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:11 pm

atcross wrote:Okay, I'll be the Grinch here. We rented a good BU PG. Suddenly we are a competitive team playing to win now? Besides DS we've added a mediocre SG in JR and a couple of good but limited (AH age, EK defense) bigs. We are dumping salary for a good reason and doing a good job of it. To suggest that we are also going to be significantly more competitive due to DS and JR... Now that's a stretch.

Grinch,

Gone (season ending roster) - Tristan Thompson, Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Semi Ojelaye, Luke Kornet (presumably)
Here (as of today) - Josh Richardson, Dennis Schroder, Kris Dunn, Enes Kanter, Al Horford, Bruno Fernando

Let's start with the bigs.  Is not Al Horford and Enes Kanter a net upgrade from Tristan Thompson and Luke Kornet?  Kornet was a weak defender who a limited offense and Thompson was a beast on the offensive boards but a very limited offensive player and a liability at the frito line.  Al is a very good defender, still and has a vastly superior offense to either Thompson or Kornet.  He is an above average passing big man, one of the best in the league after Jokic, and that will generate more motion and more versatility for everybody on the team on offense.  Kanter is as much of an offensive board monster and rebounder as Thompson.  He is comparably weak on defense as Thompson but a significantly better frito shooter, that means fewer empty possessions because he's getting fouled.  And this doesn't even take into account whatever Bruno brings.

Now let's talk guards, which is not quite so clear a comparison.  Kemba is a superior scorer who couldn't stay on the court due to injuries and that he was being coddled like a fine Ming Dynasty vase. Fournier is a very good offensive player who, in my opinion, left much to be desired on defense.  To be specific it looked like anybody could take him off the dribble.  Schroder and JRich aren't scorers like those two.  Period.  But they are better defenders.  So we lose on offense (at least when Kemba was able to play) but gained on defense.  Can we improve their offense?  Well, if we listen to what Ime is saying, he wants a more up tempo game.  That is a good strategy when you have lesser shooters on the floor since any NBA player can fast breaks with a high degree of efficiency.  In the halfcourt, however, is where we'll miss offense-creators like Kemba and Fournier.  PP and AN, with a year under their belts, will be asked to pick up the difference between Kemba/Fournier and Schroder/JRich.  If Nesmith, who contributed nothing in the first half of the season, and Pritchard step up we're as good offensively and even better depth-wise.  Kris Dunn may not be here come opening day, so it's not worth talking too much about him but he's another defensive-oriented guard.  Between Smart, Schroder, JRich and Dunn that's a very deep lockdown defensive back court.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:15 pm

At least the Grinch is green!

Significantly more competitive?  Did anyone say that?

I believe we will be more competitive and a lot more fun to watch.  Not just due to the additions of DS and JR.  

Partly because our players fit together better, partly because one of our main players isn't in and out of the lineup constantly (more continuity), partly because we have a new coaching staff, partly because we have added some good veteran players to mix with our good young players, partly because some of our good young players may catch another gear, partly because we have (or will get to soon enough) cleared out the end of the bench, on and on.

I haven't even mentioned the Js yet.  They may start the season with a new trick or two.  The new coach has clearly stated the pecking order.  The two Js, Smart and ... that's it.  Everyone else needs to earn their part of it.

So anyway, I think this season will be more fun, for both the players and for the fans.  Fun leads to more wins and visa-versa.

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 3 Green_19

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:
atcross wrote:Okay, I'll be the Grinch here. We rented a good BU PG. Suddenly we are a competitive team playing to win now? Besides DS we've added a mediocre SG in JR and a couple of good but limited (AH age, EK defense) bigs. We are dumping salary for a good reason and doing a good job of it. To suggest that we are also going to be significantly more competitive due to DS and JR... Now that's a stretch.

Grinch,

Gone (season ending roster) - Tristan Thompson, Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Semi Ojelaye, Luke Kornet (presumably)
Here (as of today) - Josh Richardson, Dennis Schroder, Kris Dunn, Enes Kanter, Al Horford, Bruno Fernando

Let's start with the bigs.  Is not Al Horford and Enes Kanter a net upgrade from Tristan Thompson and Luke Kornet?  Kornet was a weak defender who a limited offense and Thompson was a beast on the offensive boards but a very limited offensive player and a liability at the frito line.  Al is a very good defender, still and has a vastly superior offense to either Thompson or Kornet.  He is an above average passing big man, one of the best in the league after Jokic, and that will generate more motion and more versatility for everybody on the team on offense.  Kanter is as much of an offensive board monster and rebounder as Thompson.  He is comparably weak on defense as Thompson but a significantly better frito shooter, that means fewer empty possessions because he's getting fouled.  And this doesn't even take into account whatever Bruno brings.

Now let's talk guards, which is not quite so clear a comparison.  Kemba is a superior scorer who couldn't stay on the court due to injuries and that he was being coddled like a fine Ming Dynasty vase. Fournier is a very good offensive player who, in my opinion, left much to be desired on defense.  To be specific it looked like anybody could take him off the dribble.  Schroder and JRich aren't scorers like those two.  Period.  But they are better defenders.  So we lose on offense (at least when Kemba was able to play) but gained on defense.  Can we improve their offense?  Well, if we listen to what Ime is saying, he wants a more up tempo game.  That is a good strategy when you have lesser shooters on the floor since any NBA player can fast breaks with a high degree of efficiency.  In the halfcourt, however, is where we'll miss offense-creators like Kemba and Fournier.  PP and AN, with a year under their belts, will be asked to pick up the difference between Kemba/Fournier and Schroder/JRich.  If Nesmith, who contributed nothing in the first half of the season, and Pritchard step up we're as good offensively and even better depth-wise.  Kris Dunn may not be here come opening day, so it's not worth talking too much about him but he's another defensive-oriented guard.  Between Smart, Schroder, JRich and Dunn that's a very deep lockdown defensive back court.

Bob

So how does that roster stack up against the league? We are better defensively but worse offensively. But are we really that much more competitive now than we were a few days ago? I'm just saying that a few days ago, with JR, AH, and EK we were in a bridge year. We add DS and suddenly we are in a win now mode? DS must be a much more potent player than the rest of the league thought.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:38 pm

atcross wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Grinch,

Bob

So how does that roster stack up against the league? We are better defensively but worse offensively. But are we really that much more competitive now than we were a few days ago? I'm just saying that a few days ago, with JR, AH, and EK we were in a bridge year. We add DS and suddenly we are in a win now mode? DS must be a much more potent player than the rest of the league thought.

AT,

"Win Now" and "More Competitive" are not synonymous. I believe we are more competitive now, although I can see how some might see our improvements as "nibbling around the margins" but I also see how other teams have taken steps up that might be bigger than ours. I do not think we are in "win now" mode nor will we be unless Bradley Beal issues a "trade me to Boston or else" ultimatum, which I don't think he will do.

One area where I see a clear improvement in over last season is in 'feistiness'. Schroder and JRich are quite feisty. Fournier had his moments but he just wasn't a physically punishing defender for his size. Schroder and JRich will get right up under you and disrupt you. Kemba took a lot of charges, I'll give him that, but he wasn't a physically or emotionally feisty player.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next