atcross
worcester
Ktron
willjr
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 4 Empty Re: Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics

Post by prakash Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:54 pm

atcross wrote:

So how does that roster stack up against the league? We are better defensively but worse offensively. But are we really that much more competitive now than we were a few days ago? I'm just saying that a few days ago, with JR, AH, and EK we were in a bridge year. We add DS and suddenly we are in a win now mode? DS must be a much more potent player than the rest of the league thought.

To answer THAT specific question, I think that we will be at the same level as Miami now. We will be below the Nets and the Bucks, with the Nets having the best roster. I think that the Bucks lost out a little this off season.

I can understand the yearning from the coaching staff for more developed and mature players. You want players who will do what they can do, with some reliability. Also, it is not just about adding mediocre PG. Even if mediocre, it is about adding a player that fits the greatest area of need. Ball movement and offensive creativity was our biggest weakness last year.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics - Page 4 Empty Re: Schroder Signs With The Boston Celtics

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:01 pm

atcross wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
atcross wrote:Okay, I'll be the Grinch here. We rented a good BU PG. Suddenly we are a competitive team playing to win now? Besides DS we've added a mediocre SG in JR and a couple of good but limited (AH age, EK defense) bigs. We are dumping salary for a good reason and doing a good job of it. To suggest that we are also going to be significantly more competitive due to DS and JR... Now that's a stretch.

Grinch,

Gone (season ending roster) - Tristan Thompson, Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Semi Ojelaye, Luke Kornet (presumably)
Here (as of today) - Josh Richardson, Dennis Schroder, Kris Dunn, Enes Kanter, Al Horford, Bruno Fernando

Let's start with the bigs.  Is not Al Horford and Enes Kanter a net upgrade from Tristan Thompson and Luke Kornet?  Kornet was a weak defender who a limited offense and Thompson was a beast on the offensive boards but a very limited offensive player and a liability at the frito line.  Al is a very good defender, still and has a vastly superior offense to either Thompson or Kornet.  He is an above average passing big man, one of the best in the league after Jokic, and that will generate more motion and more versatility for everybody on the team on offense.  Kanter is as much of an offensive board monster and rebounder as Thompson.  He is comparably weak on defense as Thompson but a significantly better frito shooter, that means fewer empty possessions because he's getting fouled.  And this doesn't even take into account whatever Bruno brings.

Now let's talk guards, which is not quite so clear a comparison.  Kemba is a superior scorer who couldn't stay on the court due to injuries and that he was being coddled like a fine Ming Dynasty vase. Fournier is a very good offensive player who, in my opinion, left much to be desired on defense.  To be specific it looked like anybody could take him off the dribble.  Schroder and JRich aren't scorers like those two.  Period.  But they are better defenders.  So we lose on offense (at least when Kemba was able to play) but gained on defense.  Can we improve their offense?  Well, if we listen to what Ime is saying, he wants a more up tempo game.  That is a good strategy when you have lesser shooters on the floor since any NBA player can fast breaks with a high degree of efficiency.  In the halfcourt, however, is where we'll miss offense-creators like Kemba and Fournier.  PP and AN, with a year under their belts, will be asked to pick up the difference between Kemba/Fournier and Schroder/JRich.  If Nesmith, who contributed nothing in the first half of the season, and Pritchard step up we're as good offensively and even better depth-wise.  Kris Dunn may not be here come opening day, so it's not worth talking too much about him but he's another defensive-oriented guard.  Between Smart, Schroder, JRich and Dunn that's a very deep lockdown defensive back court.

Bob

So how does that roster stack up against the league? We are better defensively but worse offensively. But are we really that much more competitive now than we were a few days ago? I'm just saying that a few days ago, with JR, AH, and EK we were in a bridge year. We add DS and suddenly we are in a win now mode? DS must be a much more potent player than the rest of the league thought.

I don't get your argument. It is obviously still a bridge year. Brad wants to land a marquee player next summer, and all his moves have been designed to maintain the financial flexibility necessary to do so. That includes the Schroder signing. The guy signed a one year deal for 5.9. Schroder may not be a perfect player, but that is insanely cheap for a guy of his ability and proven track record. Not that writers are always right, but notice how many national writers are saying this is biggest bargain in free agency. Isn't it the GMs job to maximize talent/dollars?? So it's still a bridge year - we haven't taken ourselves out of free agency in any way shape or form next year - but we will still be a pretty good team. I would be shocked if we are no better than last year (BobH and others have laid out the arguments why that might be true). In order to win now a days, you need a few stars and then you need vets willing to play for bargain contracts for a chance at a ring. Such vets will be a lot more interested in joining an ascending 50-win team than a descending 40-win team. No brainer.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Gyso, I have often been accused of looking at the basketball world with Green colored glasses. I have denied this, but I have admitted to having green and white pompoms, and drinking green juice before every game. (Not that green liquor!) Now, I finally have someone with green glasses posted right here. Thanks, I will print out a copy, cut them out and wear them for the beginning of each game.

Go Celtics!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Gyso,  I have often been accused of looking at the basketball world with Green colored glasses.  I have denied this, but I have admitted to having green and white pompoms, and drinking green juice before every game. (Not that green liquor!)  Now, I finally have someone with green glasses posted right here.  Thanks, I will print out a copy, cut them out and wear them for the beginning of each game.  

Go Celtics!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course you must post a picture Rosalie!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:59 pm

prakash wrote:
atcross wrote:

To answer THAT specific question, I think that we will be at the same level as Miami now.  We will be below the Nets and the Bucks, with the Nets having the best roster.  I think that the Bucks lost out a little this off season.

I can understand the yearning from the coaching staff for more developed and mature players.  You want players who will do what they can do, with some reliability.  Also, it is not just about adding mediocre PG.  Even if mediocre, it is about adding a player that fits the greatest area of need.  Ball movement and offensive creativity was our biggest weakness last year.

Prakash,

Well thought out and presented, in my opinion.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:

When I didn't see the Celts committing to win now, I was advocating moves for the future.

Now I see an opportunity to win now.  That means commitment to more veteran players.

Not to pick on jrleftfoot, but I was specifically referring to his statement that since the DS signing we've gone to a win now mode. If we were truly in win now mode, why would we be signing all of these one year deals? We're more competitive now than last year if we can keep our best players on the floor. Two Js, MS, and RW. AH is an upgrade over TT. Compared with the decimation of the roster last year due to injuries and Covid, we could hardly help but be more competitive. And I think it was obvious that we needed a BU PG. I just don't see the addition of that one player making a big difference. Do we win five more games now than if we had brought back Thomas or Wanamaker? I don't know. I just don't see DS as taking us from bridge to "win now". I think we would win a majority of our games with or without DS. I think we would make the playoffs with or without. I do not think we will be adding any banners this year. I do think we have a young core that could go far in the next couple years. And who knows what talent Brad could add once he has some cap.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm

EFB
@efb33_
Brad Stevens getting off the phone with Dennis Schroeder’s agent
https://twitter.com/i/status/1425265513710690304

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:05 pm

atcross wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

When I didn't see the Celts committing to win now, I was advocating moves for the future.

Now I see an opportunity to win now.  That means commitment to more veteran players.

Not to pick on jrleftfoot, but I was specifically referring to his statement that since the DS signing we've gone to a win now mode. If we were truly in win now mode, why would we be signing all of these one year deals? We're more competitive now than last year if we can keep our best players on the floor. Two Js, MS, and RW. AH is an upgrade over TT. Compared with the decimation of the roster last year due to injuries and Covid, we could hardly help but be more competitive. And I think it was obvious that we needed a BU PG. I just don't see the addition of that one player making a big difference. Do we win five more games now than if we had brought back Thomas or Wanamaker? I don't know. I just don't see DS as taking us from bridge to "win now". I think we would win a majority of our games with or without DS. I think we would make the playoffs with or without. I do not think we will be adding any banners this year. I do think we have a young core that could go far in the next couple years. And who knows what talent Brad could add once he has some cap.

Those were my comments. They got messed up in his response while quoting. Just to clarify.

Also, I completely understand your point. That is why I am hedging my statements a bit.

Fans have to hope, right? Very Happy

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:19 pm

prakash wrote:
atcross wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

Those were my comments.  They got messed up in his response while quoting.  Just to clarify.

Also, I completely understand your point.  That is why I am hedging my statements a bit.

My apologies to you both for the misappropriation. And thanks for understanding. I think some were suggesting that I was being negative for the prospects this year. I'm not. I'm really looking forward to this season. I think PP, RL, and AN could have very good years. And RW as well, if he can stay on the court. Last year was an abomination due to the schedule, the injuries, and Covid. I think in a somewhat normal year our young team could show the rest of the league a lot to fear in the next couple years.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:31 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

Here's a more detailed article about that

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/08/10/did-grant-williams-make-right-decision-skipping-summer-league

Something extraordinary would have to happen for Grant Williams to become a good basketball player.  Divine intervention would be needed or some fantasy supply of a super elixir from the Space Jam movie.

And where does it say he REFUSED??

ktron

Who pissed in your Corn flakes this morning.

Refused - indicate that one is not willing to accept or grant (something offered or requested).

dboss, I hate cereal! Now serial killers……? Im with that. LOL
Thanks for the Dicktionary definition but we all know you were being mean. Grant grant some slack please.
Ktron 

Ah... you caught me.  Yes I was being mean.  How much slack should I grant em?

I have waited two years for him to prove me wrong.  He is a wasted roster spot.  I like his effort to work on his game but he has no game to work on.  He does not have any meaningful basketball skills.

Next year, when they decline to pick up his option, will bring us full circle back to the day DA crapped away the 2019 draft.  I could repost my comments about that draft.

Lets face it. In a perfect world, Grant wouldn’t have gotten as many minutes as he did but Brad needed to play him because of the F’d up roster we had. I disagree that he does not have NBA skills. He’ll never be a star but he’s serviceable and I say he proves you wrong, sticks in this league and your face will be cracked and on the ground, LOL. Be nice dboss.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:32 pm

bobheckler wrote:EFB
@efb33_
Brad Stevens getting off the phone with Dennis Schroeder’s agent
https://twitter.com/i/status/1425265513710690304

Bob

Too funny!! Razz

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:58 am

atcross wrote:
prakash wrote:
atcross wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

Those were my comments.  They got messed up in his response while quoting.  Just to clarify.

Also, I completely understand your point.  That is why I am hedging my statements a bit.

My apologies to you both for the misappropriation. And thanks for understanding. I think some were suggesting that I was being negative for the prospects this year. I'm not. I'm really looking forward to this season. I think PP, RL, and AN could have very good years. And RW as well, if he can stay on the court. Last year was an abomination due to the schedule, the injuries, and Covid. I think in a somewhat normal year our young team could show the rest of the league a lot to fear in the next couple years.
                                                        No apology necessary, but I didn't make any comment suggesting you were too negative. I don't believe that this is a championship caliber team, as presently constituted. Naturally, I hope that I'm wrong. The Schroder signing doesn't excite me at all, but I expect that he will contribute. The progress of the young guys is what I'm looking forward to observing; AN, PP, and RL in particular. It looks like Hauser can help with bench scoring, Alberto is athletic and Madar and Begarin will, in my opinion, be assets, eventually, if not now. So far, I'm liking what Stevens is doing.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:09 am

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Summer league coach said he does not know why Grant is not playing.  Apparently he is in Vegas and working out in the gym.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/08/10/did-grant-williams-make-right-decision-skipping-summer-league

Something extraordinary would have to happen for Grant Williams to become a good basketball player.  Divine intervention would be needed or some fantasy supply of a super elixir from the Space Jam movie.

ktron

Refused - indicate that one is not willing to accept or grant (something offered or requested).

Thanks for the Dicktionary definition but we all know you were being mean. Grant grant some slack please.
Ktron 

I have waited two years for him to prove me wrong.  He is a wasted roster spot.  I like his effort to work on his game but he has no game to work on.  He does not have any meaningful basketball skills.

Next year, when they decline to pick up his option, will bring us full circle back to the day DA crapped away the 2019 draft.  I could repost my comments about that draft.

Lets face it. In a perfect world, Grant wouldn’t have gotten as many minutes as he did but Brad needed to play him because of the F’d up roster we had.  I disagree that he does not have NBA skills. He’ll never be a star but he’s serviceable and I say he proves you wrong, sticks in this league and your face will be cracked and on the ground, LOL. Be nice dboss.

ktron

Fair enough.

When I hear the word serviceable I think about something that needs to be replaced but you are trying to keep it working.

On 6/23/2023 the Celtics will not make Grant a qualifying offer unless Brad has figured out a way to trade him. He will become a FA otherwise and maybe some team will offer him a nonguaranteed contract and he will be cut before the 2023 season begins.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:25 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

ktron

Ktron 

Lets face it. In a perfect world, Grant wouldn’t have gotten as many minutes as he did but Brad needed to play him because of the F’d up roster we had.  I disagree that he does not have NBA skills. He’ll never be a star but he’s serviceable and I say he proves you wrong, sticks in this league and your face will be cracked and on the ground, LOL. Be nice dboss.

ktron

Fair enough.  

When I hear the word serviceable I think about something that needs to be replaced but you are trying to keep it working.

On 6/23/2023 the Celtics will not make Grant a qualifying offer unless Brad has figured out a way to trade him.  He will become a FA otherwise and maybe some team will offer him a nonguaranteed contract and he will be cut before the 2023 season begins.  

I didn’t know you were a pro bono consultant for the C’s but we will see what happens come 6/23/23 (GD 2 years from now).
Grant’s the low hanging fruit on that pear tree in your back yard so its easier to pick on him even though he makes more money than you. He has peeps in the ATL, I hope they visit this board and then pay you a visit as well.
Lean m lone u bully!! :-)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4