Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025 Empty Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:54 am

Players are opting out of contracts, players are being released by teams.  We have some roster opening for cheap players.  These cheap players didn't have to be cheap last year, they just need to be cheap this year.  That's the advantage of being The Champions, Ring Wraiths come looking for you.

This is a thread for keeping up to date with who is available and whether there is interest.  This is more of a pure discussion thread.  When those players are signed that can be updated in the "Trade and Signings" thread because they're not just speculation, they're fact.

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025 Empty Re: Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:55 am

Shams Charania: Phoenix’s Eric Gordon is declining his $3.4 million player option for the 2024-25 season and becomes a free agent, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Multiple contenders are expected to pursue Gordon, who averaged 11 points on 37.8 percent 3-point shooting last season.

Bob
MY NOTE:  35 1/2 years old and he declines his Player Option?  Wow.  His option was for $3.56M.  Does he really think he'll get the MLE or anything close to it?  He averaged 27.8mpg last year and played 68 games, started 24 of them, for Phoenix.  11 points, a relatively pedestrian 37.8% by modern standards from 3 and only 2.0 apg and he thinks he's going to get more from someone?  Come play for us, Eric, we'll offer you the vet mininum and a chance for a ring.  Forget about playing 1893 minutes like last year, though.  You'll get 600 in Boston, but at least you'll go out on top.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025 Empty Re: Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:56 am

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has opted out.

That’s especially true for teams with spending money in their pockets. The Philadelphia 76ers and Orlando Magic are expected to pursue Caldwell-Pope using the ample cap space at their disposal, league sources told The Denver Post. Those are compelling destinations, considering both teams made the 2024 playoffs and are trying to take the next step. Other potential suitors that have been reported include Indiana, Chicago and San Antonio.
Source: Denver Post

Bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:33 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/06/examining-8-realistic-free-agent-targets-for-celtics-at-center.html

Examining 8 realistic free agent targets for Celtics at center

Published: Jun. 28, 2024, 7:33 a.m.

Free Agency DISCUSSION Thread 2024-2025 ELORCBUMUFDABC5SMV577ZUO6U
Los Angeles Clippers' Daniel Theis (10) plays against the Boston Celtics during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024, in Boston. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

BOSTON — The Celtics enter the 2024 offseason in a terrific spot overall. Brad Stevens has his top eight players under contract, a couple of which are on bargain contracts (Derrick White, Sam Hauser). However, there is a bit of vulnerability suddenly in the team’s center spot on the depth chart. Kristaps Porzingis underwent successful surgery this week but won’t suit up until at least December next year. His backup Al Horford is 38 years old and also doesn’t play back-to-back games.

“I think the way that impacts us is just making sure we have the right amount of bodies for the start of the season,” Stevens said Thursday of Porzingis’ surgery. “Obviously he’ll be back at some point soon into the season, and we’ll go from there. But our guys did a really good job of playing without him this year and figuring out the best way to navigate those times. There’s no question we’re better when he’s on the floor. And so, get him back, get him fully healthy, and get him ready to go.”

Boston has a couple of their own free agents centers (Luke Kornet, Xavier Tillman) that the team has expressed interest in retaining, per sources. However, there is the possibility that Boston looks outside the organization to find a different kind of fit for one of those spots or Neemias Queta’s spot on the 15-man roster.

So what type of bigs could be available for Boston at a bargain basement price of the veteran’s minimum? Let’s take a closer look at some of the names expected to hit the free-agent market on Sunday.

Mo Bamba: The 26-year-old served as Joel Embiid’s primary backup last season. The 76ers could have some big free agency plans of their own with cap size so he’s unlikely to get much more from them than the minimum. Boston could pitch the opportunity to play bigger minutes due to their aging centers.

Jaxson Hayes (player option): It is unclear still if he will be available (deadline to opt in is Saturday). The 24-year-old is a good rim protector with very limited offensive range.

Mason Plumlee: The 33-year-old saw his role decline for the second straight year with the Clippers in a crowded front court. The Clippers can retain him for more than the minimum but he’s unlikely to get a big deal from them with their likely second apron status. Would be a nice bargain at the minimum for a strong rebounding and passing big.

Daniel Theis: The Celtics tried to reunite with Theis last year when he became a free agent but he opted to sign with the Clippers, who had more minutes available. The equation may change now though with Boston having plenty of minutes available for at least the first two months of the season and potentially beyond at center. Theis still has fans in the front office so this is a name to keep an eye on.

Andre Drummond: Another name that has been linked to Boston in past trade talks. It feels like Drummond has been around forever but he’s still only 30 years old. A more proven commodity than Neemias Queta at this point but he’ll have plenty of suitors for the minimum.

Alex Len: A high-turnover, limited offensive player but also a good rim protector and rebounder off the bench. He’s been Kings primary center backup for last couple of years.

Drew Eubanks: One of the more intriguing names on this list. He played a big role off the bench for the Suns last year but opted out of his deal there for the upcoming season. He could go back there for a raise but the Celtics should be knocking on his door if he’s looking for a fresh start.

Goga Bitadze: Played a surprisingly big role for the Magic last year, starting 33 games. Limited as a big body offensively but a terrific rebounder with some upside at age 24.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I've always liked Theis.  When I first heard he was being signed from the German League I looked at all the film of him I could find and I knew I liked him.  32 years old, so he probably still has some in the tank.  Played 17mpg last year for the Clips, 1007 minutes total.  That's a nice number, depending upon what happens with Luke (980 minutes) and X (974 total, including Memphis).  He's not going to look at this opportunity as a significant downgrade in utilization.  He made $1.7M last year, so he's priced right.  Shot 37% from 3 last year, a solid number for a big, and nobody sets those quasi-moving picks for Jayson like Theis did.

Mo Bamba is a very intriguing option for me.  Good 3pt shooter on limited attempts.  13mpg, 740 minutes total, so there's an opportunity for him to play more here, as the article suggests, both Luke and X played more minutes last year than that.  Solid defender.

Jaxson Hayes is an unknown to me.  $2.4M option.  Played 877 minutes for the Lakers last year.  If he opts out because he wants more minutes and/or more money this might not be a fit for us.

Just like the rest of the Plumlees Mason doesn't take 3s.  He does, however, bang for a living.  Do we need a banger when we have Queta now?  Nobody works harder than a Plumlee, though.

Drummond is Queta with an inferior ft%.

Alex Len is, as far as I am concerned, El Busto.  The #5 pick in the 2013 draft and he's lucky to be the back up center on a lousy team.  His sole redeeming feature is that his 58.8% career frito percentage is better than Drummond's 48.8%.  No thanks.

Drew Eubanks?  Meh.

Goga is 6'11", 250#, almost 25 years old.  NOT a 3pt shooter.  $2M.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:19 pm

I'd rather they come to terms with Luke and X then sign any of these players.

Theis WAS nice, but the last time he passed by this way, he was unplayable in the playoffs.

Brad says NO!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:15 pm

gyso wrote:I'd rather they come to terms with Luke and X then sign any of these players.  

Theis WAS nice, but the last time he passed by this way, he was unplayable in the playoffs.

Brad says NO!

Gyso,

This Sunday begins open season on free agents.  We should know fairly early if Luke's hard work and solid season and playoffs priced him out of Boston's reach.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:58 pm

How about Bol Bol?  UFA, made $2M last year.  Not my normal cup of tea but he played 469 minutes last year, shot 42.3% from 3 in limited attempts. 79% frito shooter.

If El Busto 7' Alex Len's name can be thrown into the hat why not 7'3" Bol Bol's? Len's wingspan is 7'4". Bol's is 7'8".

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Bob,

You keep making the case for keeping Luke and X. Shocked

I can't wait for free agency to answer some of our questions. Meanwhile, we got Summer League to see what our new guys can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:49 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

You keep making the case for keeping Luke and X.  Shocked

I can't wait for free agency to answer some of our questions.  Meanwhile, we got Summer League to see what our new guys can do.

GYSO,

I'd like to keep them. It depends upon what their value is in the free agent market as to whether we can afford them. Luke, in particular, played well enough to have perhaps price himself out of Boston.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:09 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:I'd rather they come to terms with Luke and X then sign any of these players.  

Brad says NO!

Gyso,

This Sunday begins open season on free agents.  We should know fairly early if Luke's hard work and solid season and playoffs priced him out of Boston's reach.

Bob

You're kidding right?  Sunday? lol...

bob, teams are not out there with bated breath, drooling at the mouth to get their hands on Luke Kornet any time in the near future.    If he waits too long the Celtics could just go ahead and resign Tillman and find another vet minimum center in free agency.  Every team out there will be bargain basement shopping.

Kornet should try to secure the best deal that he can get. He has a one in thirty chance to sign with the next championship team. All kidding aside, Luke has a family to support and given his relatively low earnings, a 1/2 million more is a difference maker.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:09 pm

Here's two thoughts on potential free agents coming to Boston:

1.  Justin Holilday, the 35 year old brother of Jrue.  6'6" 3-and-D.  7' wingspan.  Played 58 games for Denver last year, starting in 9 of them, so he still has some game.  A total of 862 minutes, so his expectations will be low, and his kid brother will help him fit in to the culture.  He shot 40.4% from 3 last year on a respectable 136 3pt fgas.  His last contract was for $2M, so he's right-priced.  He could be a Svi replacement (for comparison Svi played a total of 413 minutes and shot 38.9% on 108 3pt fgas).

2.  Gordon Hayward.  He made $33M last year, but he'll take a HUGE cut this year because he's not what/who he used to be.  He played a total of 1245 minutes last year for both Charlotte and OKC, a total of 51 games our of 82.  He's not "the guy" anymore, and even he has to admit it.  I seem to remember some hard feelings from his wife Robin, but maybe that was overblown, over reported and/or just plain "over".  Would he sign for the vet minimum?  That'd be a big ego hit for him but I doubt he's going to be offered even $10M/year given his current level of production and availability.  He left Boston because Charlotte offered him a boatload of money and because he felt underutilized in Boston.  Well, he's 34 years old now and hasn't played more than 51 games in any of the 4 seasons since leaving Boston.  He isn't going to be a starter pretty much anywhere in the league he goes, not unless it's a bottom-dweller.  He's made enough money in his career that he doesn't have to subject himself to that.  He came to Boston from Utah originally because of "unfinished business" with his Butler coach, Brad Stevens.  Well, we're there now, Gordon, we're where you thought we were going to be when you were here.  If you want a ring this is probably your last, best shot at one.

Hayward playing for the minimum is a bit of a "wish list", but Holiday isn't. What do all of you think?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:38 pm

We may only have 2 open roster sports maybe 3 if you split the baby in half (Kornet/Tillman) One of those roster spots has already been filled with Baylor. Brad is likely to start with just 14 players so that gets us down to one open roster sport (Assuming one of Kornet or Tillman are kept)

GH should be able to get the tax payer MLE.

If we did not have a lot of wing depth adding Holiday would be an option. But we do have a lot of wing depth. I expect our rookie Baylor to actually get some playing time. J Walsh should see some minutes as well although he will play in Maine mostly.

Just my opinion but once we secure our center rotation the only other piece that we could use is a PF.

Hayward playing for the minimum is a bit of a "wish list" I have to say, that may be construed as an embellishment. (the bit portion)

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:40 pm

Jontay Porter is a PF but I would not bet on him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:42 pm

How about promoting PF Drew Peterson to a regular contract?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:19 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/06/celtics-decline-neemias-queta-option-center-becomes-free-agent.html

Celtics decline Neemias Queta option, center becomes free agent

Published: Jun. 29, 2024, 4:52 p.m.

The Celtics are declining Neemias Queta team option for the 2024-25 season ahead of Saturday’s deadline but the door remains open for a potential return to Boston according to a league source.

Queta was a productive backup center for the Celtics on a two-way contract last season before being promoted to the 15-man roster ahead of the playoffs. Boston landed Queta initially last August when he was waived by Sacramento following a big man roster crunch. Queta provided valuable depth off the bench for Boston on nights when Al Horford and Kristaps Porzingis weren’t in action. He appeared in 26 games with Boston, posting career-highs across the board averaging 5.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 0.8 blocks in 11.9 minutes per game over 28 appearances.

The decision to decline Queta’s option does not preclude Boston from bringing back the big man per a league source as MassLive reported earlier Saturday. Boston is exploring their options at the backup big spot and could still offer Queta a minimum deal for multiple years to return with some sort of guarantee attached. Queta also still has one more year of two-way eligibility with Boston or any other NBA team if he is unable to find a guaranteed 15-man roster spot.

Boston will enter free agency with Queta as a free agent along with Oshae Brissett, Luke Kornet, Xavier Tillman and Svi Mykhailiuk all hitting unrestricted free agency. Boston can use Bird Rights to re-sign Tillman and Kornet, meaning they can offer above the league minimum for those players. Boston can offer up to 120 percent of last year’s contract to Mykhailiuk, Queta and Brissett. Boston currently has four open spots on the 15-man roster. Here’s a look at the team’s current contract situation.

Celtics 2024-25 projected payroll

Jaylen Brown: $49.7 million

Jayson Tatum: $34.9 million

Jrue Holiday: $30 million

Kristaps Porzingis: $29.2 million

Derrick White: $19.6 million

Al Horford: $9.5 million

Payton Pritchard: $6.7 million

Jaden Springer: $4 million

Baylor Scheierman: $2.5 million

Sam Hauser: $2.1 million

Jordan Walsh: $1.9 million

FREE AGENTS

Brissett, Kornet, Tillman, Mykhailiuk, Queta, Davison (two-way), Peterson (two-way)

TWO-WAYS

Watson

Total salary: $192.3 million to 12 players

Total guaranteed money: $190.1 million to 11 players

Expected salary cap for 2024-25: $141 million

Expected luxury tax line for 2024-25: $171 million

Expected second apron for 2024-25: $189 million

GUARDS: White, Holiday, Pritchard, Springer,

WINGS: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Scheuermann

BIGS: Horford, Porzingis, Watson (2-way)

NBA free agency opens up on Sunday night at 6 p.m. ET

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:41 pm

With them declining his club option he becomes an UFA.

I guess we will have to wait and see.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:45 am

Brian Robb says (above), "The Celtics are declining Neemias Queta team option for the 2024-25 season"

But I just saw this:

So, Q and Drew are in, JD is out?

or

Is Keith Smith wrong about this?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:11 am

Upon reading more, both things can be true.

They declined his team option, then tendered him a qualifying offer.

Now they can offer him a 2-year vet-min contract, with full Bird rights at the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:27 am

Most of the FA speculation surrounding this team is focused on the center position. Rightly so.

Realistically, one of either Kornet or Tillman can be retained. Kornet might be the one. Slightly cheaper, ingrained in the current system and likely willing to accept what minutes fall his way.

After that, anyone from the list including Bamba, Plumlee, Eubanks, Drummond or Bitadze should do. Bamba preferably. If Queta is retained, this list is probably moot.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:19 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/06/examining-15-bargain-free-agent-targets-for-celtics.html

Examining 15 bargain free agent targets for Celtics

Published: Jun. 30, 2024, 11:16 a.m.

The Celtics don’t have much that they can offer players heading into free agency this offseason. The team’s salary commitments have put them over the second apron, leaving them with just veteran’s minimum contracts for the open market. Adding to the team via trade will be very challenging as well with new harsh salary-matching trade rules for high-spending teams. All of this increases the odds that there will be a lot of continuity with next year’s roster, simply because Brad Stevens doesn’t have a lot of options otherwise.

The one area where Boston could have an advantage as free agency kicks though is their standing in the NBA. They are the defending champions and are already favored to repeat for the 2024-25 season with their core under contract. In theory, that should bring some level of appeal to some veterans who have made their money and are in search of a ring.

Boston can also present some opportunity from a playing time standpoint that they didn’t have last year with free agents. Kristaps Porzingis is expected to miss the first two months of the year and should be limited after that on back-to-backs. Al Horford is 38 years old and won’t be playing more than 25-30 minutes a night in the regular season. There’s an opportunity to be had from a playing time standpoint for bigs or forwards and for veterans who just want to win.

We already covered some centers who could be available on the free agent market for bargain basement prices. Let’s expand our search now though for Boston to the entire veteran pool as they fill up the back end of the roster. It’s possible the Celtics could simply bring back their own free agents (Kornet, Tillman, Brissett) if the price is right. If their markets are bigger than the minimum or the Celtics think they can find a cheap upgrade on the open market, here are some names that will be hitting free agency and may have to settle for a minimum.

Stretch bigs

Analysis: This is clear area of need for Boston off the bench with Porzingis missing significant time. If Celtics are going outside of last year’s team to fill roster spots, this is an area to watch.

Robert Covington: Injuries limited him to 29 games last season between the Clippers and 76ers. He probably will have some kind of market above the minimum but may be looking for opportunity.

Dario Saric: Played for the minimum last year with the Warriors. With Golden State a bit away from contending, Saric would be a good target to provide a stretch big option with Porzingis sidelined.

Kevin Love: The sharpshooting big man is widely rumored to be interested in a Heat reunion but Celtics should make the call anyway in case he wants a better chance at at a ring. A defensive liability but an ideal stretch weapon within Boston’s offense as a depth piece.

Marcus Morris: Maybe that Game 5 in Boston impressed Brad Stevens enough to bring him back.

Wings

Analysis:
Unlikely the Celtics go after these guys or guards unless they are clearing out another bench wing (Springer?) in a separate deal or Joe Mazzulla wants to play a lot more small ball with Porzingis out.

Gordon Hayward: It didn’t look like he had anything left in the tank in Oklahoma City. Unclear if he will find meaningful opportunity anywhere at this point with a contender but if Celtics wanted to play small ball in the early season, he could be another bench option.

Jae Crowder: An ugly year for him in Milwaukee last season as he’s gotten a lot slower and the shooting has dropped off. Given the way things ended here, would be surprised if a reunion was in the cards.

Doug McDermott: A spot for a guy like him is probably gone now after the Baylor Scheierman pick.

Malik Beasley: Another guy who had a big shot with a contender last year but underwhelmed in a bigger role. He will be looking an opportunity more than anything else in his next role so it’s hard to see him being a fit.

Cedi Osman: Had a productive year with the Spurs off the bench but they may be trending younger than him as a squad. Probably going to get more than a veteran’s minimum but would be a good depth add if he wants a chance at a ring.

Justin/Aaron Holiday: The family connection could come in handy for the Celtics here.

Guards

Evan Fournier:
Just kidding

Alec Burks: A little too productive to settle for the veteran’s minimum and seems like a good candidate to stay with the Knicks.

Lonnie Walker: Probably searching for more opportunity somewhere but was playing for the minimum in Brooklyn last season.

Bonus Bigs

Dom Barlow:
Could the Celtics lure him for the minimum or a two-way with the opportunity they could offer in the first two months of the year?

Bob
MY NOTE:  The only "big" on that list is Kevin Love.  The others are wings in today's NBA.  Having said that I wouldn't have a problem with any of these filling out our bench, but if we're looking for someone who can fill in for KP for 2 1/2 months then I don't know if anybody except Love would do.  Saric is only 30 years old?!  Feels like he should be 35, he's been around a LONG time.  Don't like any of his proposed wings, except for Justin Holiday.  Lonnie Walker IV is the offensive mirror image of defensive player Jaden Springer.  McDermott is a 32 1/2 year old version of Scheierman, almost exactly.  His father, Greg McDermott, is the head coach of Creighton basketball.  Creighton is Scheierman's alma mater, so McBuckets and Scheierman came out of the same system.  McD's minutes have declined over the past 3 years.  If Scheierman was drafted in the 2nd round I'd say sign him to a two-way to develop and then you could sign McDermott (as much as I deplore his defense) because by drafting drafting Baylor you're saying you need a McBuckets type of player, but since Baylor is guaranteed a roster spot as a first round pick then McDermott is unnecessarily.  Just say no.  I don't know anything about Barlow.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:46 pm

Cameron Tabatabaie @CTabatabaie
about 8 minutes ago
Heading into free agency, the Celtics already have ten players signed for next season: Brown Tatum Holiday Porzingis White Horford Pritchard Springer Hauser Walsh*

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 44 minutes ago
#Celtics cannot...use their MLE/BAE. They can't trade two players for one and have to match $ in trades 1:1. Can't do S&T either. They DO have Bird rights on Kornet & Tillman They DO NOT have any rights on Brissett That means Luke/X can get a pay bump from them. Oshae can't.

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 46 minutes ago
Reminder as #Celtics enter FA... $187.7M on the books in 10 players...(~$2M over 2nd apron). Add in Scheierman for $2M. Four open standard roster spots, 3 open two-way spots. Watson likely one of those two-ways UFA: Kornet, Tillman, Brissett, Mykhailiuk, JD RFA: Queta, Peterson

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:56 pm

Well that was quick.

The team signs two of its own bigs.

Kornet and Queta under contract. With Horford at the top of the list, no minutes left for other bigs, especially if Porzingis plays by second half of next season. If he’s gone for the year, they will pick up another center later, no doubt.

Possibly a PF and a wing to round out the FA equation. If not a wing, a PG, since we’re only two deep there. We shall see.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:24 pm

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·

Free agent big man Neemias Queta has agreed on a multi-year deal to stay with the Boston Celtics, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:34 am

Another possibility as a replacement for Tillman if he doesn't come back could be James Wiseman.

#2 pick by GSW in the 2020 draft. 23 years old. Detroit just declined to make a qualifying offer for him. I would find it odd if they don't resign him, given they need all the help they can get, but you never know. Hard to believe that he's almost out of the league already.

He played 1091 minutes last year, that's a decent number. Granted it was on the #1 worst team in the league, but still...

Here we are, almost 24 hours into free agency and the Pistons haven't announced the resigning of their #1 big.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:50 am

Chris Herrington @ChrisHerrington
about 11 minutes ago
While the waiting game continues with Kennard, Buddy Hield, Gary Trent Jr. and Malik Beasley all still out there. The market for single-position two-guard shooting specialists doesn’t seem to be robust. This might suggest a Kennard deal lower than earlier expectation.

Bob
MY NOTE:  This is why I do not expect Baylor Scheierman to play a major role this year.  For him to get minutes on a Joe Mazzulla team he has to be able to switch onto anybody.  We saw Payton defending Luka in the Finals, and actually doing a pretty good job.  There is NO way he could have done that in his rookie or even sophomore years.  It takes time.  It takes minutes.  When you're a mediocre-to-poor team you can afford to give the young'uns the minutes they need to learn because the team has low expectations, but when you're the World Champions you are expected to win, period, not teach.  When Sam first started to get rotation minutes opposing coaches went out of their way to go at him and, at that point, between G-League and two-ways, Sam had a lot more professional experience than Baylor.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next