dboss
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

2024 - 2025 Trades and Signings  Empty 2024 - 2025 Trades and Signings

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:42 pm

OKC trades Josh Giddey to Chicago for Alex Caruso.

https://www.tsn.ca/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder-acquire-guard-alex-caruso-from-chicago-bulls-for-guard-josh-giddey-1.2137605

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2024 - 2025 Trades and Signings  Empty Re: 2024 - 2025 Trades and Signings

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:05 pm

I like both those players, wonder why? Money?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:26 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I like both those players, wonder why? Money?

Rosalie

I do not think it has anything to do with the money. Giddy will make $8.4 million next season and Carruso $9.9 million.

The Giddy situation is strange and I mentioned it during the playoff. He started 80 games during the regular season and had good production. During the playoffs the coach pulled him out of the starting lineup for 2 games in favor of bench guy Isaiah Joe. At the time the series with the Mavs was tied 2-2. Well, the Thunder lost the last 2 games of the series. They swept NOLA in 4 and Giddy had really good production across the board.

I thought it was not a good decision to bench him when they did because the series was tied and the change impacted both the starting and rotation chemistry. Daigneault was named coach of the year. Maybe that award should not be announced until after the playoffs. CJ was the coach of the year.

Carruso is 30 and this is his last year under contract. The Bulls were probably looking to get younger.

I think the Thunder are better with Giddy because of his size 6' 8" and upside potential at only 21 years old.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Spotrac has a good site to look at on free agents.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/_/year/2024
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:00 pm

I remember that happening and could not understand it at the time. It seems to me there is more to this than we know. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Giddy is young, Caruso may find himself on the move again, who knows. I am waiting for them to dump LaVine. He wants out, probably to go to LA, and I bet Chicago is waiting for the right deal. Interesting week ahead, may be more on the move before the draft
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:16 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I remember that happening and could not understand it at the time. It seems to me there is more to this than we know. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Giddy is young, Caruso may find himself on the move again, who knows.  I am waiting for them to dump LaVine. He wants out, probably to go to LA, and I bet Chicago is waiting for the right deal.  Interesting week ahead, may be more on the move before the draft

Yes there will be a flurry of activity.  Teams trading players and all the free agents out there (Unrestricted)

Every team out there is thinking "what do we need to do to catch up with the Celtics"  Every team out there has multiple positional needs.  The Celtics will do a little tweaking but I really like the Duke center Kyle Filipowski

Rosalie watch the highlight real on him.    see below

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:42 pm

dboss wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I remember that happening and could not understand it at the time. It seems to me there is more to this than we know. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Giddy is young, Caruso may find himself on the move again, who knows.  I am waiting for them to dump LaVine. He wants out, probably to go to LA, and I bet Chicago is waiting for the right deal.  Interesting week ahead, may be more on the move before the draft

Yes there will be a flurry of activity.  Teams trading players and all the free agents out there (Unrestricted)

Every team out there is thinking "what do we need to do to catch up with the Celtics"  Every team out there has multiple positional needs.  The Celtics will do a little tweaking but I really like the Duke center Kyle Filipowski

Rosalie watch the highlight real on him.    see below

I agree with you on Filipowski. I also like DaRon Holmes from Dayton. It's a weak draft and there are just a few bigs that look like they carry the potential to succeed in the NBA. To move up high enough to draft one, some significant pain will be involved. We would probably have to move into the top 15, top 10 to be really safe, and I hope Brad takes a long look at the asking price, maybe something can be done. My guess, of course, but I think we would need to part with someone from our core 8-player rotation and multiple draft picks to make it happen.

I think there might be a possibility Kel'el Ware, Indiana's center, might still be on the board at #30. A trade into at least the top 20 might help secure Ware or someone similar, who could possibly stick and at least not need G-League development.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:55 pm

I think Brad can retain his core 8 and use a draft pick or 2.  

He is not going to break things up for a prospect.  Maybe he moves JD Davidson along with a first and second.

These Mock draft are all over the place.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:25 pm

It is being reported that Malik Monk will resign with the Sacramento Kings for 4 years @ $78M.

Monk was a runner-up for NBA 6th Man.

Setting the bar for Derrick?

Bob

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:19 pm

bobheckler wrote:It is being reported that Malik Monk will resign with the Sacramento Kings for 4 years @ $78M.

Monk was a runner-up for NBA 6th Man.

Setting the bar for Derrick?

Bob

Bob

No bar set there.  D White is on a higher plan.  Expect something in the 30-35 million category. 4 years $128 million
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:45 pm

Story on Celtics Blog, Celtics want DWhite. $31.8 mill per. Not sure the years. So you are right on DBoss
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:41 am

I think the Celtics want D White and he wants them. I am hopeful that ownership gives the $126M extension for four years, and D white takes it.

This is the most important off season move for us. D White is a perfect fit and is even getting better. I think both sides see the fit, and will wrap this up quickly.

Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:43 am

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 6 minutes ago
First #Celtics offseason development will happen by tomorrow: Oshae Brissett has a $2.5M player option for 24-25. Became good locker room guy & impactful depth rebounder, defender in the reg. season. Filled in during ECF effectively. Guaranteed $ on winning team. Bet he opts in.

Bob
MY NOTE: $2.5M is as much as he's likely to get from any team so, yeah, I expect him to opts in too. He's a limited player but he plays with a high motor, he's an energy guy, and they're good to have.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:56 am

REMINDER:

The Celtics have Traded Player Exceptions (TPEs) that they can use to take on salary this coming year.  I believe they are over the 2nd apron, maybe GYSO can explain what that does or does not mean.  You can use some of a TPE, you don't need to use it all or all at once, but you cannot combine TPEs in a single trade.

Boston Celtic TPEs

Outgoing Traded Player................Amount Available....................Expiration Date
Grant Williams...........................$6.2M...................................7/2/24
Lamar Stevens...........................$89K....................................2/7/25
Dalano Banton...........................$2M......................................2/10/25

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:39 pm

Pascal Siakam and Pacers agree to a 4 year $189.5M renewal.  That's $47.38M/year average.  

I guess he's off the table for us now.  <snark>

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:34 pm

Warriors currently have no offer on table for Klay Thompson, Thompson might leave even if Golden State makes good offer

By HoopsHype | June 22, 2024

Klay Thompson isn’t currently mulling a shorter-than-desired offer from the Golden State Warriors. Despite a wide open negotiation window, there isn’t a one-year, two-year or three-year deal on the table. Because nothing is currently on the table, according to league sources. There’s been no productive discussion between the Warriors and Thompson or his representatives.
Source: New York Times

Sam Quinn
Sam Quinn @SamQuinnCBS
I hated seeing Tony Parker in a Hornets jersey. I think seeing Klay play for Orlando or maybe another good cap space team (OKC/Philly) would be slightly more palatable, it just sucks to see guys who made dynasties possible get nickel-and-dimed by franchises they helped build. – 6:27 PM

Kylen Mills @KylenMills
In honor of all the Klay Thompson rumors, let’s all remember the most iconic Klay interview ever. Just your average guy walking down the street in New York talking about scaffolding. #dubnation pic.twitter.com/8PIPxvtviw – 5:06 PM

Kurt Helin

Klay Thompson’s contract talks with Warriors reportedly “frozen,” his exit from Golden State appears likely
nbcsports.com/nba/news/klay-… – 5:04 PM

CBS NBA @CBSSportsNBA
Warriors have not offered Klay Thompson a contract and he has no traction with Magic either, per report

Bob
MY NOTE: Relevance to us? If Klay leaves GSW and goes to another team, unless he's playing for WAY below his current salary, they're going to have to shed some salary to sign him and player movement to/from one team often have ripple effects throughout the league.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:29 pm

The 2nd Apron Rules are draconian.  lol

I read that 2nd apron teams cannot use TPE's.  They cannot make a trade by combining the salaries of 2 players to acquire one player.  They  lose all levels of the MLE's. Repeat offenders will have future #1 draft picks frozen (cannot be traded) and those picks will automatically be moved to the bottom (1st round)

On top of all that, you have severe financial penalties.

The Celtics are set up for a couple of seasons.  Making trades will be difficult.  They should use draft assets now to upgrade their long term needs at center, IMO
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:57 pm

I really do not see Klay leaving.  I think the Warriors want to keep their great pairing together.  I do not see Klay leaving that team for a "Few Dollars More"  There are not enough teams out there that can pay him.  I do not see him going to Silly Philly.  Also you have to consider his age.  I figure GSW will make a deal to keep him.  Their top issue is a need to upgrade their center depth.  

The other name I am reading a lot about is Paul George.  He is not going to the Knicks, Philly, Orlando or anywhere else.  Remember, Leonard went to the Clippers because they also made the trade at get PG13.  The issue of $$$ is totally irrelevant because their owner can and will pay to keep him.  

The good news for the Celtics is that every contending team in the East needs to get better and their pathway to do so will be difficult.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:58 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/knicks-og-anunoby-declines-player-option-becomes-unrestricted-free-agent-report-220421203.html

Knicks' OG Anunoby declines player option, becomes unrestricted free agent: Report

Dan Devine·Senior writer

Updated Mon, June 24, 2024 at 3:04 PM PDT·6 min read

New York Knicks forward OG Anunoby has declined his player option for the 2024-25 NBA season, according to Fred Katz of The Athletic, choosing to enter unrestricted free agency as one of the most intriguing players on the market.

League observers had long expected Anunoby to decline the player option for the final season of the four-year, $72 million contract he signed in December 2020 as a member of the Raptors. Toronto drafted Anunoby with the 23rd pick of the 2017 NBA Draft, with head coaches Dwane Casey and Nick Nurse helping foster his development into one of the NBA’s premier 3-and-D wings — a vital piece on Raptors teams that made the playoffs in each of his first three years as a pro and won the 2019 NBA championship in his sophomore season. (Anunoby missed that entire title run after undergoing an emergency appendectomy right before the start of the postseason.)

Under that deal, Anunoby was set to earn $19.9 million next season. In a financial environment in which the salary cap has risen to $141 million for the ’24-25 campaign, he could wind up nearly doubling that salary in the first year of a new multi-year agreement — one with a total value likely to exceed the four-year, $118 million maximum extension that “Anunoby was limited to signing but would not have accepted with the Raptors,” as Yahoo Sports senior NBA reporter Jake Fischer reported in January.

That lucrative new deal could well come from the Knicks, whose trade for Anunoby helped transform their season.

At the time of the swap, New York sat at 17-14, in seventh place in the Eastern Conference and ranked 16th in the NBA in defensive efficiency, according to Cleaning the Glass. The addition of Anunoby — 6-foot-7, 240 pounds with a 7-foot-2 wingspan and an All-Defensive selection on his résumé — provided a mammoth jolt of adrenaline to Tom Thibodeau’s team, as the Knicks won 12 of Anunoby’s first 14 games and began to look like a bona fide title contender.

Anunoby’s individual production — 14.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 34.9 minutes per game for New York in the regular season — rarely leaped off the stat sheet. His overall impact, though, was both immediately evident and difficult to overstate: The Knicks won Anunoby’s minutes in all 23 regular-season games he played for them, outscoring opponents by an eye-popping 21.7 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.

Anunoby’s ability to space the floor from the corners — 39.4% from 3-point range on 4.5 attempts per game in New York — helped open driving lanes for ascendant star point guard Jalen Brunson. His ability to take on defensive assignments all across the positional spectrum — he spent significant time as the primary defender on both Joel Embiid and Tyrese Maxey during New York’s first-round playoff win over the 76ers — helped ease the defensive burden on the Knicks’ other perimeter players, allowing the likes of Josh Hart and Donte DiVincenzo to play more natural roles as help-side havoc wreakers.

And Anunoby’s own individual disruptiveness as a defender — 1.7 steals, 1 block and 3.2 deflections per game after the trade — helped kickstart New York’s transition game, with the Knicks shifting from a bottom-10 unit on the break before his arrival into one that scored at a league-best-level in transition with him on the floor:

All told, the Knicks went 26-6 with Anunoby in the lineup, outscoring opponents by 16.3 points-per-100 in his minutes — a dramatic swing that marks him as the kind of two-way difference-maker that any team with enough money to spend would love to add in free agency. (Like, say, the 76ers team that New York vanquished back in April.)

The complicating factor for Anunoby? His medical record. Since playing 69 games in the pandemic-shortened 2019-20 campaign, he’s missed 76 games in the last three seasons — including 32 this past year, with surgery to remove a loose bone fragment in his right elbow and a post-return flare-up sidelining him for most of the second half of the season.

Anunoby returned for the final week of the regular season, playing a huge role — and huge minutes — for Thibodeau through the Knicks’ first seven playoff games. In the third quarter of Game 2 against the Pacers, though — in the midst of perhaps the finest performance of his career, with 28 points in 28 minutes — Anunoby lunged on a fastbreak, pulled up with a hitch in his gait and immediately exited the court with what was later revealed to be a strained left hamstring:

Anunoby missed the next three games, as Indiana took control of the series. He attempted to return in Game 7, making his first two shots; it was immediately clear, though, that he just couldn’t move at anything like his typical level, leading Thibodeau to end the experiment after just five minutes and turning Anunoby into a spectator as the Pacers ended New York’s season.

“I just wanted to play,” Anunoby said after the game. “I wanted to try. Like, at least try to help my teammates."

As he left the home locker room at Madison Square Garden for the summer, Knicks wing Josh Hart pointed toward Anunoby and center Isaiah Hartenstein and said, "Those two better come back." With Hartenstein already on the unrestricted market and Anunoby now joining him, we’ll soon find out whether the Knicks can follow Hart’s orders — and how high a price it’ll take to do it.

Bob
MY NOTE: The Knicks will pay him. It'll cost them a lot more than the $19+M he was optioned to get, but they'll pay. They know they're more relevant now than they have been in 3 decades and that will end if they lose him. From our perspective that will leave that much less salary cap for the Knicks to go out and add to their roster this offseason.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Knicks are in a pickle.

They are going to end up probably over paying to retain OG. I am hearing something in the $35 million category. The Knicks pretty much have to sign him.

OG is a solid player but injury prone. He is no # 2. He looks more like a #3 at best. He is still young at 26 but his game may have already topped off.

All of the top free agents are old and most likely will resign with their current teams.

I am not sure Celtics fans fully appreciate what Brad Stevens has done. He is at least a year ahead of the league. He has built a roster that reflects the changes in the NBA that impacts the way teams need to play to win. He has nailed down all the players that will keep us in contention. Do not worry, D White will be here. He loves Boston.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:19 pm

Knicks sending Bojan Bogdanovic, bevy of picks to Nets for F Mikal Bridges - Woj

Mikal Bridges to the Knicks for Bojan Bogdanovic, four unprotected first-round picks, a protected first round pick via the Bucks, an unprotected pick swap snd and a second rounder.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:52 pm

bobheckler wrote:Knicks sending Bojan Bogdanovic, bevy of picks to Nets for F Mikal Bridges - Woj

Mikal Bridges to the Knicks for Bojan Bogdanovic, four unprotected first-round picks, a protected first round pick via the Bucks, an unprotected pick swap snd and a second rounder.

Bob

Great trade for Knicks, they don’t need injury prone OG now. Bridges is a very good 2 way player, can defend both J’s better than most.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:01 am

ESPN is falling all over themselves over this trade. Heck, even Good Morning America was spitting on their shirts over this trade. Is the world dying for a Knicks championship or what? Does this mean OG may not get that payday from NY or are they paying for both of them?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:44 am

CBS Sports is reporting that LA will offer LeBron a 3 year $160m contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-prepared-to-offer-lebron-james-three-year-160-million-max-contract-per-report/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2GrN5XWyrFGz--GrxJpoo-sVLI39m8aIqFx5ZkRfSmf8TXzjcTLpKT2dA_aem_4Br8gLX5R0PDoPgpV1ANpw

Lakers prepared to offer LeBron James three-year, $160 million max contract, per report

James is expected to forgo the final year of his current contract and become a free agent

By Brad Botkin
Jun 25, 2024 at 2:05 am ET

1 min read

For all the attention new Lakers hire JJ Redick received at his introductory press conference Monday, the biggest bit of Lakers news fell below the fold in ESPN insider Dave McMenamin's report of the afternoon in L.A.: The Lakers are prepared to offer LeBron James a three-year max contract extension, which would be valued at north of $160 million.

James has until June 29 to opt in to the final year of his current contract, which would pay him $51.4M for the upcoming season, but the expectation is that he'll forgo that player option and become a free agent. Should you be wondering about the three-year max, it's because James is 39 (the over-38 rule stipulates that no player over that age can sign for more than three years).

Should James opt out and sign the three-year max, the Lakers would be paying him through his age-41 season. Does he have three more years in the tank? Or might LeBron prefer one-year deals, maximizing short-term earning power with annual increases in the salary cap rather than taking the security of what would likely be the final long-term deal of his career? That's still a question.

But the Lakers are apparently prepared to facilitate whatever contract structure James prefers, which only makes sense considering how great he still is and the win-now mode in which the Lakers are operating as James' career clock starts to tick louder and louder. It's not about three years from now for the Lakers. It's about this season.

Plus, the Lakers can't afford to mess around with James, who will have plenty of suitors. The Philadelphia 76ers have max cap space and, frankly, a more ready-made contender than the Lakers if LeBron came aboard. The Oklahoma City Thunder, who would also be a bigger threat to win the title with LeBron than the currently constructed Lakers, can get to max space pretty easily. So can the Orlando Magic.

This is to say nothing of the sign-and-trade possibilities if LeBron starts throwing his weight around and is threatening to leave for nothing. LeBron might be 39, but he still has pretty much all the leverage here. The Lakers can't hire Redick and then lose LeBron. They need to secure their superstar and then go about their annual hunt for another one to join James and Anthony Davis.

Bob
MY NOTE:  It would be hilarious if Brad used his #30 pick to take Bronny.  Won't happen, shouldn't happen, but it'd be fall down funny because then we'd own his right in perpetuity and he could never play with his dad.  It'd be spiteful as all get out, and beneath us, but funny.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:38 pm

Bridges to Knicks works.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content