babyskyhook
LACELTFAN
gyso
jeb
mrkleen09
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

LAKERS SEEKING BOSH IN TRADE! - Page 3 Empty Re: LAKERS SEEKING BOSH IN TRADE!

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Another NBA BAG JOB to keep the Lakers relevant.

First you got Gasol for a bag of used basketballs - now you want to trade a broken down, damaged waste of 30 million to Toronto for an perennial all star - and no one sees this is an issue?

OK. Basketball
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu May 27, 2010 5:08 pm

kleen,

Yes, the Lakers have had a hard time staying relevant over the last 30 years...LOL
Instead of bellyaching, let's hear from you who is a better fit for Bosh and Toronto.
Toronto can either get a young player back or lose Bosh to free agency.
FYI: The Grizzlies received (2) LA first round picks, Mark Gasol, and a former LA first round pick. Plus they saved about $30 from not having to pay Pau. That is worth at least a bag of NEW basketballs...

PS: You're a funny guy.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu May 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Sam wrote:Now, having exhausted my moderator's vent, I've got my personal hat on.

I think that comparisons of the Lakers' situation with Red's involve two separate issues. Red did outsmart a lot of people, but it did not involve chicanery; it was a matter of being more discerning than they were in player evaluation, whether it involved trades or picking a player like Don Nelson off the waiver line or rehabbing supposedly washed-up players (Andy Phillip, Jack Nichols, Willie Naulls, Clyde Lovellette, Carl Braun, Arnie Risen, etc.). If the Lakers can be similarly more discerning than other teams, more power to them.

But I think some people are looking at it on another dimension—namely whether there is some sort of favoritism toward the Lakers by the league. I don't buy that theory any more than I buy conspiracy theories concerning draft results. I believe it's perfectly justifiable to compare the KG deal with the Pau Gasol deal. They were both coups at the times of the trades, and the league approved both of them. Period.

Because of all of the above, I really find it difficult to get caught up in any of the conjecture about the "fairness" of a potential trade involving (certainly among others) Bynum and Bosh. I'm far more interested in the implications for the Celtics' most consistent rival if such a trade eventuates. I'm not expressing opinions as much as asking questions. And I'm assuming no other players of consequence would change hands (although it would become a real coup for the Lakers if they also got a guy like Jack).

How would the advent of Bosh affect the chemistry of the Lakers? My assumption is that Odom would be pushed back to the bench. How would that sit with him? How would Bosh function in the triangle, and why? I think I read a post that suggested Bynum and Gasol aren't a good mix. Why is that true, and what guarantee is there that Bosh would be a better mix with Pau? Whose points would Bosh take (I assume it would be more than Bynum's), and what implications for friction might that have? I expect Bosh would be an offensive upgrade over Bynum, and I guess a rebounding upgrade to some degree; but what about defense? It seems to be that the Lakers felt they lost in 2008 largely because their defensive effort was not consistently strong enough. Would the substitution of Bosh for Bynum represent some backsliding in terms of defense? My sense is that a trade to more of a Showtime environment could lead Bosh to become somewhat more "self-absorbed" (for want of a better term). I happen to believe Kobe has mastered that trait already. Could there be an eventual power struggle between a self-absorbed guy at one end of his career and a self-absorbed guy at the other end of his career? Could Bosh become Shaq Redux as he relates to Kobe?

I freely admit that I'm probably far more interested in the importance of team chemistry than most people. And many of my questions relate to chemistry. I just happen to feel that, in order to have a chance to beat the Celtics head-to-head (if they're at full strength) head-to-head, an opponent has to exhibit a high level of chemistry. This is why I root for Kobe to dominate the Lakers' attack every time they play the Celtics.

Sam

Sam-

I've owed you my take on how Bosh would fit in LA for a long time. I had forgotten about it, but with the recent resurfacing of Bosh-Bynum deal in the press, I finally remembered. Jeb wanted to heat the West Coast view as well, which goes as follows:

I LOVE THE IDEA!!!!

I'm hoping that Kobe is lobbying Bosh via phone and gives him seats again at Staples for the NBA Finals, so Bosh can really feel what that level of intensity and the atmosphere is all about. When Bosh was sitting courtside vs Utah a couple of weeks ago, it turns out Kobe invited him and gave him the tickets. Bosh came back to say hello after the game to everyone. Must have been a very interesting dynamic that night.

The concerns you hear from the Laker fans who are against it are about team chemistry, offense, defense, loss of size, Bynum's potential and money/payroll.

Chemistry:

I love the fact that Bosh isn't worried about riding shotgun along with Kobe and Pau. It shows the guy cares about winning, is willing to play defense, and is not concerned with "being the man" or "getting his shots". He knows what he's getting into if he comes to LA, so the fact that LA's on his list says a lot.

I think the dynamic on the lakers would be similar to that of the Olympic team. Kobe first among equals, but Bosh and Pau getting a lot of respect and treated like stars. (Think of how Kobe treats Pau, or the Magic/Kareem/Worthy and Bird/Chief/Mchale dynamics.)

Kobe takes a few less shots than he's taking now, Bosh does the same. Pau's shots remain where they are. Bosh will still get a lot of shots, and you better believe KB will be willing to feed Bosh a few more times a game than he's willing to feed Bynum. PLus, when Pau and Kobe got to the bench, the offense will be running through Bosh.

I think all three would make sacrifices for the greater good- winning rings. Just as in the Olympics. They're all rich and famous- the one thing they all want more of is rings. Kobe is smart enough to know that these guys will help him get there, but the team will still be "his" team.

Offense:

Bosh would fit perfectly in the triangle, spacing the floor and giving Gasol room to operate in the low post, but also opening up the post for Kobe and Artest, depending on the matchups. His midrange game is deadly, and the triangle is all about spacing and versatility- both are strengths of Bosh. LA's offense would be much more potent with Pau + Bosh, than Pau + Bynum, as Bynum, when healthy, has had trouble meshing with Pau at times.

Defense:

While no one is going to confuse Bosh with KG circa '04, if you think back to the Olympics, where Bosh didn't have to carry the load on offense for the team, his D was great. Bosh got way more minutes than Howard did throughout the Olympics. He's long, very mobile and goes after every loose ball- hence the big rebounding numbers.

It was the same with Pau, whose defense wasn't great in Memphis, where he was carrying the scoring load and where he wasn't asked to play D, but he has improved greatly since coming to LA.

Also, mobility matters- just ask Tim Duncan- Pau and Bosh would make the Laker bigs among the best in the league at defending screen roll, and Bosh can give good help D as well.

Loss of size:

First of all, I would add Kwame Brown or Dampier (after he gets bought out) at the vet min to have an extra wide-body along with DJ Mbenga for the few games a year vs Howard and Shaq where you need some muscle and extra fouls. BUt the reality is that BYnum has never played well vs HOward or Shaq, so it's not like the Lakers would be losing anything.

And there aren't that many true, bruiser-type centers left in the NBA. Shaq is on his last leg, Dwight Howard, and that's about it.

The rest of the guys are either smaller (Marc Gasol, Noah, Horford), not mobile (Yao, Brook Lopez), or limited offensively (Perk, Oden).

So there's very few games a year where they're playing against a true beast in the low post, and Pau actually plays very well vs Howard- much better than Bynum does. Who else is there to worry about ?

With the rule changes the last few years and the new crop of young, uber-athletic point guards, it's becoming more and more important to stop penetration and defend screen roll- both of which are areas where Bosh would be a huge improvement over BYnum.

Rebounding is another big plus for Bosh. He has much more fire and goes after the ball much more aggressively. Bynum is much more inconsistent. When he's getting shots, he gives much more effort, but even then, he tends to stand and let the ball come to him rather than going and getting it.

Bynum's potential:

Andrew has potential, and lots of it- there's no doubt. But the Lakers window is from now through the next 5 years, coinciding with Kobe and Pau getting into their mid 30's. Andrew's propensity for injury is too big of a question mark. He cannot be counted on to perform when it matters. lakers are heading to their 3rd straight Finals trip and haven't had Drew at even a fraction of full strength for any of them.

All of the potential in the world doesn't matter if Bynum can't consistently be an impact player when it counts. Bosh is already an impact player. He's gotten better every year, and is only 26, so he's just entering his prime. He's already a borderline top 10 player in the NBA, and certainly top 15. Given the Lakers need to win now, it's a no brainer to go with Bosh, as he can contribute at a high level immediately.

Money/payroll:

The Lakers can actually add Bosh and keep their payroll next year right about where it is now. He is only $3m/yr more than Bynum.

If they get Bosh for Bynum, they'll try to get JAck for Sasha. If that fails, then it's Randy Foye or Steve Blake for a chunk of the MLE.

Then sign Kwame or Dampier (after buyout) at vet min to add some more beef along with DJ, and guys like Raja Bell if Brown walks, plus draft picks.

The roster would be:

Jack or Foye, DFish (resigned at $2m/yr), draft pick or Javaris Crittenden (vet min)
Kobe, Brown (or Raja Bell at vet min)
Ron Ron, Luke, draft pick
Bosh, LO
Pau, Kwame or Dampier (vet min), DJ Mbenga

If they could get jack for Sasha, LA's total team salaries would be about $91m. That's the same as this year's salaries. Even if they can't get Jack (and they most likely can't) and had to add Foye, they can probably sign him starting at $3m/per, then they'll dump Sahsa + pick or cash to a team under the cap at the deadline. It wouldn't be that big of an increase from this year (maybe $2-3m or so) and the Lakers would have a ridiculously STACKED team, with a good mix of vets, guys in their prime, and youth, and a good mix of championship experience and new guys hungry for rings.

So I think if the opportunity arises, and there seems to be a good chance that it will, Jerry Buss will go for it. The team listed above would have a good shot at winning multiple rings, and that's something (along with getting even more star-power by adding Bosh) that he would pay for. He's always ponied up in the past when push came to shove if he thought he had a title-winning type of team. I think he'll do it again. And I think he should.

wow- that took a lot longer than I thought it would. See you guys soon. cheers
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 27, 2010 5:22 pm

tjmakz wrote:FYI: The Grizzlies received (2) LA first round picks, Mark Gasol, and a former LA first round pick. Plus they saved about $30 from not having to pay Pau. That is worth at least a bag of NEW basketballs...

PS: You're a funny guy.

So are you TJ...and most other Lakers fans who try and defend that monumentally lopsided deal for Pau Gasol. You act like the rest of the NBA wasnt up in arms about it....and it was only Celtics fans. That is the only real laugh here.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu May 27, 2010 5:22 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Another NBA BAG JOB to keep the Lakers relevant.

First you got Gasol for a bag of used basketballs - now you want to trade a broken down, damaged waste of 30 million to Toronto for an perennial all star - and no one sees this is an issue?

OK. Basketball

Kleen-

if you think it's a bag job, why don't you tell us who Toronto will realistically be offered that makes more sense than Bynum ?

For the reasons I listed above, which you didn't respond to, I laid out the case for why Bynum makes sense for the Raps.

Ok- so tell us who makes more sense. Got anything ?

Or are you just going to refuse to acknowledge that Bynum actually makes a lot of sense for Toronto and whine about the fix being in if it happens ?

Because as we all know that's the only reason the Lakers have won NINE Championships over the last 30 years.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu May 27, 2010 5:32 pm

bsh,

kleen never wants to have a reasonable conversation. The NBA BAG JOB talk is childish and tiresome. He won't tell us who is a better fit for Bosh/Toronto.
kleen won't address the lopsided KG trade that McHale handed to Boston...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 pm

TJ,

Two questions. 1. Would Toronto take a guy with a history of serious injury problems in return for Bosh? 2. Who would be the Lakers' "power guy?" (And Dampier and Kwami would not answer that question for me.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 27, 2010 5:57 pm

tjmakz wrote:bsh,

kleen never wants to have a reasonable conversation. The NBA BAG JOB talk is childish and tiresome. He won't tell us who is a better fit for Bosh/Toronto.

Now we are going back to Kevin McHale? LOL.

First off, all of this Bosh talk is premature since Lebron James is the key to this all. If James signs in Chicago or New York - Bosh will walk away from Toronto and join the King there. He could also walk away to join Wade in Miami - Nowitzki in Dallas - or any number of other teams. Sure he can make a little more money if he signs a deal with Toronto and then agrees to a sign and trade - but that is only if Toronto has a deal in place that makes sense for them too. Just because they need a center, doesnt mean they want to get stuck with a BAD 30 million dollar contract on injury prone Bynum.

If I were a Lakers fan, this would all be exciting to me - but doesnt Bosh play the same position as Gasol and Odom?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 am

Sam wrote:TJ,

Two questions. 1. Would Toronto take a guy with a history of serious injury problems in return for Bosh? 2. Who would be the Lakers' "power guy?" (And Dampier and Kwami would not answer that question for me.)

Sam

Sam,

1) I don't know if Toronto would take Bynum especially since they could get a young big man with the 13th pick in the draft. If Bosh is traded, the only team on Bosh's wish list that can make the salaries match up is L.A. I think Toronto will want Shannon Brown with Bynum to make the deal. Toronto needs more athleticism in the pg/sg positions. After Brown opts out of his second year, I expect L.A. to re-sign him for somewhere in the 3 years/$10.5m range. Bynum for Bosh straight up does not work based on their salaries.
2) Gasol would be the center and LA could sign another big body. The NBA is not a big man dominated league right now. There are no Olajuwon's/Ewings/young Shaq's in the league. Bynum gets destroyed by Howard and he rarely plays in the last 6 minutes, so losing Bynum's size I don't forsee as a problem. Bosh also is a better rebounder and more versatile of a defensive player. I like the Dampier idea but Kwami is a joker that won't be making another stop in L.A.

Even though this can be a great trade for L.A., I think they will work on a trade for a point guard first. They might need to hold onto Bynum as a trade piece for a higher level point guard.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 28, 2010 12:36 am

kleen,

Chicago doesn't have the available cap space to sign LeBron and Bosh. They also don't have the salaries/talent to trade for Bosh if LeBron signs with them. Toronto would have no use for Kirk Hinrich.
Dallas could use any of the available top tier free agents except Bosh.
Dirk and Bosh are clearly both power forwards.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri May 28, 2010 3:17 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:bsh,

Now we are going back to Kevin McHale? LOL.

First off, all of this Bosh talk is premature since Lebron James is the key to this all. If James signs in Chicago or New York - Bosh will walk away from Toronto and join the King there. He could also walk away to join Wade in Miami - Nowitzki in Dallas - or any number of other teams. Sure he can make a little more money if he signs a deal with Toronto and then agrees to a sign and trade - but that is only if Toronto has a deal in place that makes sense for them too. Just because they need a center, doesnt mean they want to get stuck with a BAD 30 million dollar contract on injury prone Bynum.

If I were a Lakers fan, this would all be exciting to me - but doesnt Bosh play the same position as Gasol and Odom?

Wherever Bosh goes, it will be in a s+t. It's a $30m difference- not "a little more money".

Dallas is a nonfactor. No caproom, overlap w/ Dirk and not on CB4's list.

If LBJ goes to NY, I think Bosh probably goes with him and takes back David Lee, even though he wouldn't be their first choice b/c he's a bad fit w/ Bargs.

Toronto won't take back anything the Bulls or Miami would offer. Noah not happening and Raps not taking Deng or Beasley.

So if LBJ goes to Bulls or Heat, or stays in Cleveland, I think Bosh to LA becomes the most likely outcome.

Pau would move the 5, Bosh would start at 4, with LO coming off the bench and possibly traded eventually.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri May 28, 2010 3:24 am

tjmakz wrote:

Sam

Sam,

1) I don't know if Toronto would take Bynum especially since they could get a young big man with the 13th pick in the draft. If Bosh is traded, the only team on Bosh's wish list that can make the salaries match up is L.A. I think Toronto will want Shannon Brown with Bynum to make the deal. Toronto needs more athleticism in the pg/sg positions. After Brown opts out of his second year, I expect L.A. to re-sign him for somewhere in the 3 years/$10.5m range. Bynum for Bosh straight up does not work based on their salaries.
2) Gasol would be the center and LA could sign another big body. The NBA is not a big man dominated league right now. There are no Olajuwon's/Ewings/young Shaq's in the league. Bynum gets destroyed by Howard and he rarely plays in the last 6 minutes, so losing Bynum's size I don't forsee as a problem. Bosh also is a better rebounder and more versatile of a defensive player. I like the Dampier idea but Kwami is a joker that won't be making another stop in L.A.

Even though this can be a great trade for L.A., I think they will work on a trade for a point guard first. They might need to hold onto Bynum as a trade piece for a higher level point guard.

TJ- Bynum for Bosh works straight up under the CBA. You must be looking at the wrong numbers. No filler needed. Whatever guy they're drafting at 13 this year won't have Bynum's upside or immediate impact. Raps won't have enough leverage to ask for Brown, although if that was what it took, LA would obviously do it. I don't think LA has enough leverage to get Jack for Sasha as part of the deal either, though.

Kwame is an excellent man defender in the low post who is as strong as anyone in the NBA. He'd be fine at the vet min to use against Howard and the ghost of Shaq for 15-18 min when they play those teams. Otherwise, there's not much to worry about out there.

They're not trading bynum for a pg unless NO makes Chris Paul avail, which I don't see happening. He is the face of their franchise. None of the other elite PGs that they would trade BYnum for are going anywhere (Nash, DWill, Rose, Rondo).
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri May 28, 2010 3:30 am

Sam

Sam-

1. somewhere earlier in this thread (but not in the long post) I laid out the case for why Bynum makes sense for Toronto vs their other realistic alternatives.

To summarize:

For Toronto, Bynum is 22 and a perfect fit next to bargnani. He provides them with the potential of having a very solid front line.

They're protected on the downside since he only has 2 more guarenteed years and with a team option for the third year.

Toronto will be all over Bynum for Bosh straight up. We haven't heard about anything else even remotely close to filling their needs.

NY- David Lee undersized and doesn't play D. Bad to pair with Bargs.

Miami- Beasley. No way.

Chi- BUlls not giving up Noah. Raps not taking Deng and Gibson over Bynum. Too many $$$$ tied up in Turk and Bargs, who is really a 4.

That's it. Those are the places on Bosh's list. He gets to choose where he's going. Raps want to get best asset back. Bynum is that asset.

Bynum's promise, even with his injuries, and thankfully this latest one is a minor injury, is going to be too good for the Raps to pass up, based on what their team needs.

Lee is a bad fit, Beasley is a joke, and the Bulls aren't dealing Noah.

So there is a risk for the Raps, if BYnum flames out due to some kind of career-ending injury in two years.

ON the other hand, if he can stay healthy, we know what he's capable of when he's the focus of an offense, so they have the potential for getting even value back for a superstar, which as you know almost never happens in any sport.

The promise of Bynum's upside combined with their team needs add up to make Bynum their most attractive option.

2. in my rather long, Homeric epic of a post, I addressed the "power" issue as follows:

there aren't that many true, bruiser-type centers left in the NBA. Shaq is on his last leg, Dwight Howard, and that's about it.

The rest of the guys are either smaller (Marc Gasol, Noah, Horford), not mobile (Yao, Brook Lopez), or limited offensively (Perk, Oden).

So there's very few games a year where they're playing against a true beast in the low post, and Pau actually plays very well vs Howard- much better than Bynum does. Who else is there to worry about ?

With the rule changes the last few years and the new crop of young, uber-athletic point guards, it's becoming more and more important to stop penetration and defend screen roll- both of which are areas where Bosh would be a huge improvement over BYnum.

So that was my take on it. You might not have caught that given the length of my analysis of why I like the idea of a Bosh addition.

Do you think the power issue is a bigger deal than I am thinking it will be going forward ?

What did you think of my reasoning on the chemistry front, etc ? Sound plausible/ reasonable ?

Good luck tomorrow night in Game 6. I think Cs win on the home floor and head to the Finals.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri May 28, 2010 8:24 am

BSH - you seem to have all the answers and have it all figured out. Guess we will have to wait until July to see if you are right or not.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 28, 2010 8:32 am

BSH

Great explanation but I still think the injury issue is a much bigger issue than you make it out to be.

As for lack of bigs that have somewhat of a good overall game.

Perhaps the difference in size (basically lack thereof) from the KG's and other power forwards of the world have caused the term big to be redefined a bit. Haveing a big that can move well can compensated a bit for lack of bulk. Plus like you said there just are not many out there and the only time it really matters in a matchup against them would be in a playoff series.
That is why Cleveland got Shaq to face Howard. Unfortunately Cleveland might have done a whole lot better without him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 am

BSH,

That was a great explanation/analysis from you.
In looking at the numbers again, I was wrong that Bynum can't be traded straight up for Bosh.
The NBA is estimating the salary cap to be at or near $56.1m next year. Bosh's 2010-11 salary would be maxed at $16,830,000.
L.A. couldn't acquire more then 125% plus $100,000 of the salary they trade away. So, $13,842,332 (Bynum's 2010-11 salary) x 125% = $17,302,915. This number is lower then Bosh's salary, so the deal would work.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 28, 2010 11:15 am

If there's a straight-up Bosh for Bynum trade:

1. Toronto's desperate to get something for Bosh. Bynum's almost-predictable injuries make him a questionable asset.

2. Lakers will be willow thin up front. The strongest, most physically solid player on their team will be their SF. They'll need to add some beef from somewhere.

If this deal happens, I predict it won't happen until after Bynum has his knee surgery. Unless Toronto is totally and completely desperate because Bosh is leaving sooner rather than later, they will wait to see the prognosis, if not the recovery, by Bynum. Even at this young, early part of his career Bynum's knees are an issue.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 28, 2010 11:52 am

bob,

Toronto won't have the time to wait to see how Bynum has recovered. Bosh can sign elsewhere in July. Bynum probably won't have surgery until somewhere around July 1st.
What is L.A. getting from Bynum's size right now? Not much.
I am not convinced Toronto will want Bynum.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 am

Bynum hasn't proved to me or anyone that he really has the heart to put in a full year and really help his team. He plays for a while, then is hurt again. Why in the world would Toronto want this for their team? Potential just doesn't buy it with me. I really think the Lakers will unload him no matter whether it is Bosh or someone else.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm

tjmakz wrote:bob,

Toronto won't have the time to wait to see how Bynum has recovered. Bosh can sign elsewhere in July. Bynum probably won't have surgery until somewhere around July 1st.
What is L.A. getting from Bynum's size right now? Not much.
I am not convinced Toronto will want Bynum.

TJ,

You're probably right about about Toronto not being able to wait. But I guess we'll have to. LOL.

The playoffs will end sometime around June 20th or so. If Bynum has his surgery within a few days after that, a week of recovery will have gone by before the witching hour of July 1st comes around. Bosh will probably be the most desired PF in the free agent draft (I saw a thread listing free agents, but I haven't read it yet) and that moves him up for those teams looking for PFs, but he might not sign before July 7th(?). That's two weeks and almost the amount of time they were talking about Bynum needing to play, if he had the surgery earlier these playoffs. Certainly enough time to see how the surgery went. So, it's not unreasonable. Throw in the amount of money a team will have to shell out to get Bosh, sign-and-trades are strong contenders for making it happen. To do that you need a player that makes enough money for salary cap reasons and that you're disappointed in and would like to unload for value. That pretty much sums up Andrew Bynum for the Lakers.

Nevertheless, I agree with your last point. If Phil Jackson and the Lakers, with all the great talent he's surrounded and supported by, can't bring out his value then what hope does Jay Triano and his bunch of Eurosofties have? Bynum has the size to be tough, easily, but he doesn't really have the mentality and that's what Toronto really needs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Mon May 31, 2010 3:38 pm

mrkleen09 wrote: Guess we will have to wait until July to see if you are right or not.

Kleen- I'm glad to see we can agree on SOMETHING when it comes to Bosh for Bynum. Razz
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 pm

beat wrote:BSH

Great explanation but I still think the injury issue is a much bigger issue than you make it out to be.

As for lack of bigs that have somewhat of a good overall game.

Perhaps the difference in size (basically lack thereof) from the KG's and other power forwards of the world have caused the term big to be redefined a bit. Haveing a big that can move well can compensated a bit for lack of bulk. Plus like you said there just are not many out there and the only time it really matters in a matchup against them would be in a playoff series.
That is why Cleveland got Shaq to face Howard. Unfortunately Cleveland might have done a whole lot better without him.

beat

beat-

You're right that the biggest thing that I could see derailing this from the Raps side would be the injury issue. What's funny is that I've looked at a couple of Raptor boards and their fans seem pretty excited about Bynum and think he's the best deal they can get, while a lot of laker fans (maybe 1/3) don't want to trade BYnum as they feel he has too much upside despite the injuries and that LA will miss his bulk. And I think part of Laker management has felt the same way. So it's not a complete slamdunk that the Lakers will be willing to do it if the opportunity arises.

To me, though, it's a no-brainer, because, as you point out, mobility is just as important in today's game as bulk is. KG will never be confused with Shaq in terms of body type, yet they've both been dominant players in their prime.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Mon May 31, 2010 3:56 pm

bobheckler wrote:

The playoffs will end sometime around June 20th or so. If Bynum has his surgery within a few days after that, a week of recovery will have gone by before the witching hour of July 1st comes around. Bosh will probably be the most desired PF in the free agent draft (I saw a thread listing free agents, but I haven't read it yet) and that moves him up for those teams looking for PFs, but he might not sign before July 7th(?). That's two weeks and almost the amount of time they were talking about Bynum needing to play, if he had the surgery earlier these playoffs. Certainly enough time to see how the surgery went. So, it's not unreasonable.

Throw in the amount of money a team will have to shell out to get Bosh, sign-and-trades are strong contenders for making it happen. To do that you need a player that makes enough money for salary cap reasons and that you're disappointed in and would like to unload for value. That pretty much sums up Andrew Bynum for the Lakers.

If Phil Jackson and the Lakers, with all the great talent he's surrounded and supported by, can't bring out his value then what hope does Jay Triano and his bunch of Eurosofties have? Bynum has the size to be tough, easily, but he doesn't really have the mentality and that's what Toronto really needs.

bob

Bob- I think b/c this is a very minor, routine injury with a quick recovery period, this particular injury won't be what holds Toronto back if it's the best deal they can get for Bosh. He would obviously have to pass a physical, but I have no doubt that would happen under the timeframe you're talking about.

I think the fact that LA and Tor are on totally different timetables with totally different goals is an important one. Toronto can be patient with Bynum and give him time to develop more. LA's window is NOW. Bosh is the sure thing right now. Bynum has tremendous potential, has made huge strides already and is only 22. He could become a dominant center if he can stay healthy.

I've watched him closely for 5 years now, and it's ironic, but I think he would actually perform better in Toronto, as the focus of their offense. Like so many young bigs, he wants the ball and he wants to score. when he gets it, he plays hard on D and goes after rebounds with much more aggressiveness than when he's not.

In Tor, he would be the centerpiece of their offense and I think would be a very good 2 way player. In LA, that's not as likely. Because of his injury, he's been focusing more on D and rebounding during this playoff run, but I think in the long run he's a guy who wants to score a lot in order to give 100% effort in all phases, and that's much more likely to happen in Toronto.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm

A Timely BUMP is in order here

mrkleen09 wrote:This is just wishful thinking from Lakers fans. Bosh is going to the same city as Lebron....and LA WILL NOT get Lebron. Sorry TJ.

babyskyhook wrote:Wherever Bosh goes, it will be in a s+t. It's a $30m difference- not "a little more money".

babyskyhook wrote:So if LBJ goes to Bulls or Heat, or stays in Cleveland, I think Bosh to LA becomes the most likely outcome.

babyskyhook wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote: Guess we will have to wait until July to see if you are right or not.

Kleen- I'm glad to see we can agree on SOMETHING when it comes to Bosh for Bynum. Razz

Me too BSH. cheers
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:50 pm

kleen,

This was from Chad Ford and it was mentioned in this thread:

Chad Ford:

"The Raptors and Lakers had the parameters of a deal in place for a Bosh for Bynum deal. LA eventually pulled out because they were unsure how the addition of Bosh would affect chemistry mid-season and they were concerned that Bosh could bolt via free agency in the summer. Both concerns should go away this summer and the two teams agreed to revisit talks after the playoffs ended. They are in a very good position to land Bosh if that's where he wants to play. It's the Raptors first choice among the sign-and-trade options available to them."
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next