cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:13 am

Sam: Rosetta Stone? Isn't that a language learning DVD or CD collection?-MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by gyso Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:32 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:How old is Derek Fisher??

Rosalie,

Born: Aug 9, 1974 - Little Rock, Arkansas

He will be 36 this August. I ran out of fingers and toes and had to use my wife's. I almost had to call in a buddy of mine to finish.

gyso

PS: I heard that his younger brother, Methuselah, is signing an offer sheet with the Lakers as well!!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 am

Isn't 35 the new 25?
That's true for Fisher and Ray Allen but not for Pops Rasheed.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

tjmakz wrote:Isn't 35 the new 25?

TJ,

Derek Fisher and Ray Allen haven't lost too much due to age YET. What seems to happen with the smaller players is that one year they're fine and then it's like falling off a shelf. They just drop.

I think LA still needs to sign a QUICK guard. They really need someone who can defend a true NBA point guard. Westbrook used Fisher as his own personal chewy toy in the playoffs and there was never even a moment's consideration of Fisher guarding his counterpart in the Finals. Blake is a solid, perhaps even stolid, player, but he's no speed merchant either. He's a halfcourt player. LA still needs someone to GUARD point. One thing that these older players don't lose, though, is their mind. Fisher and Ray Allen still have ice water running through their veins.

I started a thread, quite a while back, where I compared bigs vs smalls in terms of longevity. I'll see if I can find it and ressurrect it for this occasion.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am

Just how much $ do the Celtics have available to them to spend on a player?
Now that Rasheed has told the Celtics that he is definitely retiring, what, exactly, becomes of his money I would assume that he is looking for some kind of a buy out? And can they use the rest of his $ for another player of his stature? What about TA's slot?

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 am

bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

Derek Fisher and Ray Allen haven't lost too much due to age YET. What seems to happen with the smaller players is that one year they're fine and then it's like falling off a shelf. They just drop.

I think LA still needs to sign a QUICK guard. They really need someone who can defend a true NBA point guard. Westbrook used Fisher as his own personal chewy toy in the playoffs and there was never even a moment's consideration of Fisher guarding his counterpart in the Finals. Blake is a solid, perhaps even stolid, player, but he's no speed merchant either. He's a halfcourt player. LA still needs someone to GUARD point. One thing that these older players don't lose, though, is their mind. Fisher and Ray Allen still have ice water running through their veins.

I started a thread, quite a while back, where I compared bigs vs smalls in terms of longevity. I'll see if I can find it and ressurrect it for this occasion.

bob

bob,

LA didn't have to give Fisher the third year but if you look at what he has done for the organization, he has earned an extra paycheck even if he is playing 5 minutes per game in year 3.
Steve Blake is not a burner like Rondo, Parker, Brooks, etc. but he is an excellent on the ball defender.
LA and Kobe are making a big push for LA to sign Raja Bell. He has had knee problems but he is a very good defender who can guard the 1 and 2 positions and shoots 40% from 3's.
With only $1.8m left from their MLE and the signings of Blake and Fisher, LA won't be looking for a quicker PG.

Besides guarding forwards, I would not be surprised seeing Ebanaks guarding larger guards like Westbrook.
He will be the perfect compliment for Artest who has great hands and is extremely tough but has lost a couple of steps.

2 years at $20m is a steal for Boston to keep Ray.
4/$61m was a little much for PP but that is his last contract like Fisher's.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:55 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Just how much $ do the Celtics have available to them to spend on a player?
Now that Rasheed has told the Celtics that he is definitely retiring, what, exactly, becomes of his money I would assume that he is looking for some kind of a buy out? And can they use the rest of his $ for another player of his stature? What about TA's slot?

The perfect player in my opinion for Boston to pick up is Matt Barnes.
He is very athletic, can easily take TA's spot and can back up PP.
He will come pretty cheap if Boston could work out a trade for Rasheed either directly with Orlando or through a third team.

Would anyone be surprised if Rasheed changed his mind and didn't retire?
If I was Boston, I would make a move quickly before he changes his mind.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:58 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

bob,

LA didn't have to give Fisher the third year but if you look at what he has done for the organization, he has earned an extra paycheck even if he is playing 5 minutes per game in year 3.
Steve Blake is not a burner like Rondo, Parker, Brooks, etc. but he is an excellent on the ball defender.
LA and Kobe are making a big push for LA to sign Raja Bell. He has had knee problems but he is a very good defender who can guard the 1 and 2 positions and shoots 40% from 3's.
With only $1.8m left from their MLE and the signings of Blake and Fisher, LA won't be looking for a quicker PG.

Besides guarding forwards, I would not be surprised seeing Ebanaks guarding larger guards like Westbrook.
He will be the perfect compliment for Artest who has great hands and is extremely tough but has lost a couple of steps.

2 years at $20m is a steal for Boston to keep Ray.
4/$61m was a little much for PP but that is his last contract like Fisher's.

TJ,

My gut is telling me that Fisher will retire in the final contract year and will move to the front office and earn his paycheck there. He's the President of the Players Union, so he has management experience with players already. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he becomes the Lakers VP-Player Relations or VP-Player Development or some such similar position. He'll be damn good at them too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

tjmakz wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Just how much $ do the Celtics have available to them to spend on a player?

The perfect player in my opinion for Boston to pick up is Matt Barnes.
He is very athletic, can easily take TA's spot and can back up PP.
He will come pretty cheap if Boston could work out a trade for Rasheed either directly with Orlando or through a third team.

Would anyone be surprised if Rasheed changed his mind and didn't retire?
If I was Boston, I would make a move quickly before he changes his mind.

TJ,

Rasheed is not known for his flexibility of thought. If he's decided to retire, I'll bet he follows through with it. Sam pointed out somewhere that he thinks that retiring contracts like Sheed's will continue to lose value as the quality players are taken and nobody wants to give up what they have for salary cap room for players they don't really want. I hope he's wrong, but Sam's reputation says that's unlikely.

Because we used the entire MLE on O'Neal, Matt Barnes would have to sign for the veteran's minimum (which he can do with Orlando too) or a sign-and-trade for Sheed.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:42 pm

The reporter on our local news station said last night that Rasheed had informed the Celtics that he was definitely retiring. This was the only place I heard it though. The regular Comcast sports show never said a word about it. So, I don't know if this guy was just going on what Rasheed had said before or there is something more to it.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Miami seems to be getting better by the day.
Here is a list of their players and the ones in parenthesis are players that will probably sign with them for the veteran minimum.

PG: Chamlers, (Jason Williams), K. Hansbrouck
SG: Wade
SF: L. James, M. Miller
PF: Bosh, Haslem
C: J. Anthony (Big Z), (Juwan Howard)

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Big Al on the move.

It looks like former Celtic and recent T-Wolf Al Jefferson will see if he can get things on track in Utah.

Big Al always seemed like a decent young guy whose limitations on the defensive end and injuries have really held him up; I hope it works out well for him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-jazz-timberwolvestrade
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:11 pm

According to today's Boston Celtic blog at BDC, the Celtics are NOT interested in Matt Barnes.

They have reached out to Toronto free agent Antoine Wright and could have interest in Minnesota's Damien Wilkins.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antoine_wright/
http://hoopshype.com/players/antoine_wright.htm

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/damien_wilkins/index.html
http://hoopshype.com/players/damien_wilkins.htm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 7 Empty Celtics work out Adam Morrison

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 am

I'm so traumatized by this report I'm actually speechless...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:47 am

I'm not sure what to make of that one either.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 am

Did his work out consist of carrying basketballs, washing towels and making appointments for coaches?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 7 Empty Shelden Williams signs with Denver

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:00 pm

He's getting the vet's minimum.

Now he can sit on the bench behind Kenyon Martin and Al Harrington, as opposed to sitting on the bench behind Rasheed and Davis.

Still, he's a good person, based upon all reports, so I'm glad he hooked up with someone. Also, Denver will bring him closer to his wife, Candace Parker of the LA Sparks and their new child.

Good luck Shelden. Play hard against the Lakers. :-)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 pm

certainly a case in point that not all great college scorers can make the cut in the NBA. Morrison seems like he was given a looong look already, and is one that can't do it at the NBA level.
too bad, really - he seemed to have so much promise coming out of college - sort of like Redick, who took his lumps early too but now has come through the fires and has shown he can make the cut and be a player in the NBA.

one makes it, the other apparently doesn't ... jeez, what a guessing game to try to anticipate which college scorers are going to be able to take it to the next level. i woulda thought it was going to be the other way around, myself, so there you go.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Morrison's workout consisted of shampooing with Johnson's, "No More Tears" shampoo. He could have used some instead of crying on the court before his last NCAA games was finished-MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi,
Are you referring to this:
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/07/adam-morrison-works-out-for-several-nba-teams.html
There're a few other teams, so take it easy.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 7 Empty Kosta Koufas?

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 pm

He went from Utah to Minny as part of the Al Jefferson trade. If we're looking for bigs, and we're not happy with Para or the big Ukrainian Kravstov (I think Erden's a lock), this guy will come cheap.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16806

http://hoopshype.com/players/kosta_koufos.htm

Let's face it, we're looking at 3rd string centers now. Barring a blockbuster trade, we're going to be limping along for the first 2-3 months of the season (until Perk gets back) with O'Neal starting and probably Erden backing him up.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 pm

It's not looking good for the start of next season with Perk on the shelf, not being able to get Big Al back, letting T. Allen walk over length of contract (see James Posey) two years ago. Now with the events in Miami, and rumblings about Paul (Chris, not Pierce)& 'Melo going to the Big Apple after next year to join Amar'e we're Slipping Into Darkness faster than War was when they released that groove back in '72. I was hopeful the C's might make a push for Josh Childress, but looks like Phoenix has the inside track. Maybe we could somehow get Powe, House, and Walker (Bill not 'Toine) back in the fold. It would have been nice to get Raymond Felton to back up Rondo, but NY gobbled him up. What's Marquis Daniels' status now, anyone heard? (not Gar Heard)-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:29 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:It's not looking good for the start of next season with Perk on the shelf, not being able to get Big Al back, letting T. Allen walk over length of contract (see James Posey) two years ago. Now with the events in Miami, and rumblings about Paul (Chris, not Pierce)& 'Melo going to the Big Apple after next year to join Amar'e we're Slipping Into Darkness faster than War was when they released that groove back in '72. I was hopeful the C's might make a push for Josh Childress, but looks like Phoenix has the inside track. Maybe we could somehow get Powe, House, and Walker (Bill not 'Toine) back in the fold. It would have been nice to get Raymond Felton to back up Rondo, but NY gobbled him up. What's Marquis Daniels' status now, anyone heard? (not Gar Heard)-MD.

MD,

Big Al has had health problems. Do you think Minny'd trade Jefferson for a bag o' donuts to make room for Kevin Love if he still had it all? The Jazz need someone because they lost Boozer.

Leon has another year on his Cleveland contract. With the loss of LBJ, Shaq and Z, I don't see them letting a big, any big, go for nothing.

Eddie's a possibility, but he's no spring chicken either.

Bill Walker is averaging 27mpg in summer league (so pretty significant minutes) and is averaging 14.0ppg on 44%fg (not too bad), 1.5rpg (NOT good), 1.5apg and 4.0 TOpg (VERY NOT good). He's 1-6 from 3 (pretty dumb). He also has 13 personal fouls in just 2 games. I'm thinking Bill Walker is another Gerald Green. Body by Ferrari, brain by Mattel.

As far as I know, Marquis Daniels is still available.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 pm

bigpyg,

You raise an interesting point.

Someone needs to do a huge study/research on discovering the common thread(s) of successful draft picks and sell it to the GM's or league for Gazillions. I think the only reason why no one knows how to draft is because no one has taken the time to connect the dots.

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 7 Empty Pat Riley - Let's try out and sign every player whose felt gilted and hasn't won a title...

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Is this the way this is going?

T-Mac
Juwan Howard
Big Z

Who's next?

Got some bad news for you, Pat. DWade better have some big shoulders. Oh wait, didn't he bust that a few years ago?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next