cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Cowens/oldschool ,

I mean he's a defense first type of player. Can slash to the basket and does it well, and can shoot the ball. He's a well rounded good athlete. Hence like TA but better shooting.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:21 pm

L.A Lakers sign FA Pg Steve Blake--4 years for $16 million

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency//?ls=iref:nbahpt1#Blake

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 4 Steve-blake-1231a
The Los Angeles Lakers did not wait long to replace free agent guard Jordan Farmar, reaching into their fellow Staples Center occupants' locker room to poach veteran guard Steve Blake from the Clippers. The two sides have agreed on a four-year, $16 million deal, Blake's agent confirmed, which is fully guaranteed with no options for either side.

Blake will almost certainly take Farmar's place next season backing up Derek Fisher, who is also a free agent but is expected to re-sign with the two-time defending champions. The Lakers didn't place a qualifying offer on Farmar before the start of the free agent period, making him an unrestricted free agent. Blake also had interest from the Knicks and other teams but the opportunity to play for the Lakers was too enticing.

The 30-year-old Blake has played for five NBA teams since being drafted in the first round in 2003 by the Washington Wizards, with career averages of 7.5 points and 4.3 assists per game. He started last season in Portland, where he started for most of the first half of the season for the Trail Blazers, but the injury-riddled Blazers, desperate for a big man after season-ending injuries to Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla, dealt Blake at the trade deadline to the Clippers along with forward Travis Outlaw for center Marcus Camby.

Blake first disclosed the deal Friday afternoon during an interview on Portland radio station KXTG-FM.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 pm

brandon
I agree he can shoot the ball better than TA,but don't know of the rest of his game.....is he really a good/great defender?can slash a little,I don't know?
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Cowns/oldschool,

He plays for the Raptors so living out here in Toronto I got to watch him this season alot.

I woudn't say hes a great defender but hes a guy you can put on the DWades, Kobes, Lebrons, and expect a good effort from. As far as driving the ball, I think he could be more aggressive but hes a solid rotation player.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:18 pm

brandon
I'm in Jersey,saw him alittle with Nets,he was mostly always on the bench,was no Carter or Jefferson at all.TA can hound and defend,hes at least an elite athlete,never saw much in AW,I see more potential in Bill Walker who now has a 3 point game too.Maybe Wright has improved I don't know? cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:57 pm

BrandonBanks$$$ wrote:L.A Lakers sign FA Pg Steve Blake--4 years for $16 million

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency//?ls=iref:nbahpt1#Blake

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 4 Steve-blake-1231a
The Los Angeles Lakers did not wait long to replace free agent guard Jordan Farmar, reaching into their fellow Staples Center occupants' locker room to poach veteran guard Steve Blake from the Clippers. The two sides have agreed on a four-year, $16 million deal, Blake's agent confirmed, which is fully guaranteed with no options for either side.

Blake will almost certainly take Farmar's place next season backing up Derek Fisher, who is also a free agent but is expected to re-sign with the two-time defending champions. The Lakers didn't place a qualifying offer on Farmar before the start of the free agent period, making him an unrestricted free agent. Blake also had interest from the Knicks and other teams but the opportunity to play for the Lakers was too enticing.

The 30-year-old Blake has played for five NBA teams since being drafted in the first round in 2003 by the Washington Wizards, with career averages of 7.5 points and 4.3 assists per game. He started last season in Portland, where he started for most of the first half of the season for the Trail Blazers, but the injury-riddled Blazers, desperate for a big man after season-ending injuries to Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla, dealt Blake at the trade deadline to the Clippers along with forward Travis Outlaw for center Marcus Camby.

Blake first disclosed the deal Friday afternoon during an interview on Portland radio station KXTG-FM.

brandon,

Well, it's pretty well known the Lakers point guard situation is completely in flux and needed to be addressed this offseason. This signing starts to shore it up.

What I find intriguing about this signing is that the Lakers have probably used up 1/2 of the MLE on this deal (I'm assuming it's not $4M x 4, but rather <$4M the first year and then 10% raises every year). What this does it all but takes LA out of the running for Mike Miller. I don't see him signing for 1/2 of the MLE, which is all LA has left. If I'm wrong, and it is $4M across the board, then there's even less left over for Miller (and everybody else).

Without Mike Miller, resigning Shannon Brown becomes more important.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Bob-

yes- LA won't be getting Mike Miller unless Mitch pulls a Sasha + picks to the Wiz s+t, which I would ordinarily say would be a pipe dream, but with washington intent on building through the draft, perhaps Sasha + 2 future 1st rounders would get it done. Unlikely, though.

AS for Blake, I actually like this signing better for the Lakers needs. Miller is the sexier signing and the better headline, as Blake is more of a grinder, but Blake fills LA's biggest need and gives them some leverage to bring Fish back at a reasonable deal.

Blake is excellent from 3, a very good passer who looks to set his teammates up and a willing, gritty defender. He's not going to be locking down CP3 or anything, but he is a lightyears improvement over Farmar, and will enable Phil to greatly reduce Fish's minutes until the playoffs.

LA's next move will be to try get Raja Bell for the vet min or for the remaining $1.5m-$1.8m of the mle. (Blake's deal is $4m flat per year.)

I'd like to see them go after Kurt thomas or Kwame with the vet min as a backup 5, and bring back Javaris Crittenden as an additional backup 1 at the vet min.

All in all, I;m excited about getting Blake. He's just what they need.

And if LA gets Raja (or MAtt Barnes or TMac- both of whom are apparently saying they want to come but who LA hasn't up till now expressed interest in) it will be a very nice summer.

Fish/ Blake/ Critt or DJ Strawberry (on SPL roster)
Kobe/ Raja Bell (or Brown, BArnes or TMac)
Ron Ron/ Luke/ Ebanks
Pau/ LO/ Caracter
Bynum/ Kurt Thomas

I'd be pretty excited to head into next season with that roster.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:13 am

Rasheed rethinking retirement?

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency//?ls=iref:nbahpt1

With Doc Rivers deciding to return to the Celtics next season, and Boston close to re-signing Paul Pierce to a four-year deal, a source said Saturday night that there is a "possibility" that veteran forward Rasheed Wallace could re-think his decision last month to retire after 15 NBA seasons. The Celtics believed Wallace would retire after the team's seven-game Finals loss to the Lakers, and he appeared to make the decision final a week or so later.

Because Wallace had two years and $13 million (including $6.32 million next season) remaining on his deal when he retired, the Celtics have been looking into moving his contract to another team, which would then get the savings from Wallace's cap number, in exchange for assets. But obviously, if Wallace decides to play next season, that team wouldn't get the money off of its cap.

Rivers decided to return for the last year of his contract last week, after his family members encouraged him to come back and give it one more try with his veteran team next year. That was followed by Pierce quickly getting close to a four-year contract worth more than $60 million with Boston.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:21 pm

babyskyhook wrote:

Bob-

yes- LA won't be getting Mike Miller unless Mitch pulls a Sasha + picks to the Wiz s+t, which I would ordinarily say would be a pipe dream, but with washington intent on building through the draft, perhaps Sasha + 2 future 1st rounders would get it done. Unlikely, though.

AS for Blake, I actually like this signing better for the Lakers needs. Miller is the sexier signing and the better headline, as Blake is more of a grinder, but Blake fills LA's biggest need and gives them some leverage to bring Fish back at a reasonable deal.

Blake is excellent from 3, a very good passer who looks to set his teammates up and a willing, gritty defender. He's not going to be locking down CP3 or anything, but he is a lightyears improvement over Farmar, and will enable Phil to greatly reduce Fish's minutes until the playoffs.

LA's next move will be to try get Raja Bell for the vet min or for the remaining $1.5m-$1.8m of the mle. (Blake's deal is $4m flat per year.)

I'd like to see them go after Kurt thomas or Kwame with the vet min as a backup 5, and bring back Javaris Crittenden as an additional backup 1 at the vet min.

All in all, I;m excited about getting Blake. He's just what they need.

And if LA gets Raja (or MAtt Barnes or TMac- both of whom are apparently saying they want to come but who LA hasn't up till now expressed interest in) it will be a very nice summer.

Fish/ Blake/ Critt or DJ Strawberry (on SPL roster)
Kobe/ Raja Bell (or Brown, BArnes or TMac)
Ron Ron/ Luke/ Ebanks
Pau/ LO/ Caracter
Bynum/ Kurt Thomas

I'd be pretty excited to head into next season with that roster.

bsh,

As usual, you make a lot of good points.

Yes, the point guard situation is, by far, the squeaky wheel in the Lakers organization this offseason and had to be taken care of asap. Blake is a very serviceable NBA point guard and as a spot-up 3pt shooter, will fit in very nicely in the triangle. His assist-to-turnover ratio is very good. Miller was the sexier signing, as you correctly put it, but Blake was the smart move.

As far as the rest of the roster goes, we still have to wait to see that, just as we have to wait to see if the Celtics:

resign Ray Allen
resign Tony Allen
get Barbosa/Fernandez
get Brad Miller
etc.

Right now, it's just "champagne wishes and caviar dreams" as Robin Leach used to say.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 4 Empty Celtics have expressed interest in Shaquille O'Neal- ESPN

Post by Brandon$$ Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:18 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5356999

Even at 38 years old, Shaquille O'Neal is drawing plenty of interest on the free agent market. Boston, Dallas and Atlanta have all expressed interest in O'Neal, according to league sources.

The discussions have been in the preliminary stages and no financial terms have been broached. But with each team being over the salary cap, they can offer O'Neal no more than the mid-level exception of $5.8 million per season.

O'Neal, who played with the Cleveland Cavaliers last season, would like to play two or three more seasons, according to sources close to the future Hall of Fame center.

An AOL Fanhouse report on Monday said O'Neal has been offered a two-year deal starting at the mid-level exception by Atlanta and that O'Neal is seriously considering it. However, his agent, Perry Rogers, denied that an offer had been made.

"We have had no offers from the Hawks,'' Rogers said.

O'Neal would be interested in playing for each of the three teams, sources close to him said.

He has great respect for Boston's coach, Doc Rivers, a good relationship with Kevin Garnett, and it was Shaq who gave Paul Pierce his nickname, "The Truth." With starting center, Kendrick Perkins, sidelined for up to six months after undergoing knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, O'Neal would seem to be a solid replacement.

O'Neal also has a strong relationship with Atlanta's new head coach, Larry Drew, who was a Lakers assistant coach for parts of O'Neal's tenure in Los Angeles. The Hawks' interest in O'Neal is based on his ability to matchup with Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, who led the Magic to a four-game sweep of Atlanta in the second round of last year's playoffs.

O'Neal also has a close relationship with Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki and owner Mark Cuban. O'Neal could conceivably help Dallas matchup better against the Lakers.

While O'Neal, who averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds in 23 minutes a game last season, believes he is still a starting caliber player, being assured a spot in the first five is not a deal-breaker, the sources said.

If LeBron James re-signs with Cleveland, O'Neal, who has played 18 seasons, would also be open to returning to the Cavaliers, according to one of the sources. Cleveland is one of the few teams that could pay O'Neal more than the mid-level exception.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:26 am

Brandon,

I moved the post about Shaq to this thread because it was mostly about the many teams that have interest in Shaq via free agency.

I hope you don't mind.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:46 am

please, God, no. I just can't see Rondo playing with this guy. He takes up too much space in the middle!! I can see Rondo driving to the hole and banging right into Shaq! Just my opinion, but I just don't think it is a good fit. I know Chris Mannix of SI thinks it would be great!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Normally, I'm not a big fan of Shaq's (not at this point in his career, at least), but we are hurting bad at center. I mean, if we're talking to Brad Miller and Shaq to start while Perk's out, you know we're in deep doodoo.

Erden looked bad yesterday in the summer league game. Maybe he was jetlagged, maybe he was confused because he got there late and didn't have the days of orientation and practice and maybe he's just underwhelming. Either way, I don't see him as a starting center while Perk recuperates.

Parakhouski looked good, but I don't want an undrafted rookie to be my starting center. Not even for the 2-3 months Perk will be out. This doesn't mean he cannot or should not make the team, I just don't want him playing 20-30+ minutes a night against NBA veterans. They'll eat the kid alive.

Who does that leave us with? Brad Miller and Shaq.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:18 pm

I'd take Shaq and his old Shaq game in a second,he could really help us with Perk not being ready and who knows how well he'll repond.Shaq playing with this talent will play unselfishly and know and play his role.He could still help us,you still gotta paste a body on him in the paint,he'll free others and make life easier.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2010/07/06/cs-to-meet-with-kwame-brown/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Celtics to meet with Kwame Brown

As a testament to the Celtics’ willingness to kick the tires of every big man who might help the cause, Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers have set up a meeting with Kwame Brown tomorrow in Orlando.

“We’re checking out a lot of possibilities - it’s still very early in the process,” Danny Ainge said today of what is certain to be a broad casting call for big men, including Shaquille O’Neal.

Ainge said he has not set up a meeting, to this point, with O’Neal.

The 6-11 Brown spent the last two seasons with the Pistons, and in strictly a backup (13.8 minutes per game) role averaged more rebounds (3.7) than points (3.3) last season. But his value as a shot blocker (0.6 career average) may be what the Celtics are looking at now.

Brown, of, course, is better known as one of the greatest draft disappointments of all time. Michael Jordan selected him for Washington with the first pick of the 2001 draft, and as the first high school player to ever go with the No. 1 pick, Brown never came close to living up to his draft pedigree.

But after four NBA teams (Wizards, Lakers, Grizzlies, Pistons), Brown is simply attempting to catch on as an experienced backup.

“He lives pretty close to (the Orlando Summer League), so he’s going to drive down to meet with Danny and Doc,” said agent Mark Bartelstein. “They want to get to know him a little bit.”

The Celtics’ desire to meet with another of Bartelstein’s clients - veteran center Brad Miller - is on hold while the rest of the market waits for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to make decisions.

“A lot with Brad will come into play when all of that happens,” said Bartelstein, who confirmed that a team with a lot more money to spend than the Celtics - Houston - has significant interest in Miller.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Hey, maybe we can sign Kwame and trade him for Marc Gasol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:14 pm

THIS IS SICKENING!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:20 pm

It doesn't do a lot for the old morale, does it Rosalie?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm

You know what it is, I just can't stand that we are reaching for everyone's throw away's! The Cast off's of the league. How many teams has Browne been on? However many it is, he obviously didn't prove he belongs in the NBA.
He is just a big guy with no basketball IQ.

I am against Shaq also, because I feel he will just get in the way of Rondo as he is driving to the hoop. Maybe I am just a little bull that we are in this position. We have been trying to get a backup center for how long now?
Maybe Sheed should come back! (Did I really say that ?). Isn't it funny that it is so hard to find good, qualified backup centers.

Red was always so good at finding a guy who was in his last couple of years who wanted to play for a winner. He made many a guy happy that he traded for them! Again.....the good old days!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Rosalie,

I hear Clyde Lovellette is available and will come cheaply.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Rosalie, Yes Shaq is big and occupies a bunch of space, but is it not possible that he'd stay out of the paint when Rondo's driving? How often does he get called for violating the 3 second rule?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Shaq has beef and good hands,did it ever occur he might make Rondo look good finishing?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 pm

I still think it is a bad choice. He is a strong person, brought into a locker room full of other strong people. What about if and when Perk comes back. Shaq started all the games for Cleveland, to be relegated to the bench?????
How would he handle that? He still thinks he is one of the best players in the league. Sorry, this is a no brainer for me, I just don't think it is a good matchup.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 4 Empty Looks Like Miami For Bosh

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Source: Bosh Will Join Wade With Heat
More Heat News

Jul 07, 2010 7:41 AM EST
Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh will team up together in Miami, a source has told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Wade and Bosh are expected to announce their respective decisions on Wednesday.

It is not yet known whether the Heat would sign Bosh outright or acquire him via a sign-and-trade with the Raptors.

"Either way, he's definitely going to Miami," the source said.

Via ESPN

vDwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are teaming up together on the Miami Heat, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

ESPN's Shelley Smith also reported the pending move through independent sources.

Bosh, Wade on "SportsCenter"

Chris Bosh, right, and Dwyane Wade will appear on ESPN "SportsCenter" at 12:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday to announce their future plans.

Whether LeBron James, the kingpin of this summer's celebrated free-agent class, will join them remains to be seen. James will announce his decision at 9 p.m. ET Thursday during a one-hour special on ESPN.

Wade and Bosh are expected to announce their decision on Wednesday afternoon, according to the source, and continue to lobby James, along with Heat president Pat Riley, to join them in Miami, despite the financial complexities involved for the Heat to make room for all three.

Both players are expected to get the maximum amount allowable under the league's collective bargaining agreement, though the addition of James could change the players' salaries. Contracts cannot be officially signed until Thursday.

It was not immediately clear whether Bosh -- who spent seven seasons with the Toronto Raptors -- will sign with Miami outright or join the Heat through a sign-and-trade deal. Bosh could earn $125 million over six years via sign-and-trade, but only $96 million in five without it.

"Either way, he's definitely going to Miami," the source said.

League sources say Riley is trying to convince Bosh to take the five-year max deal and leave Toronto outright. The Raptors are trying to persuade Bosh to demand a six-year deal and a sign-and-trade so that they get something out of the deal.

Earlier this week, the Raptors reportedly had been reluctant to do a sign-and-trade, especially with Miami, contending the Heat did not have any players of interest. But if Bosh leaves outright, the Raptors are left with, at most, $4 million in cap space to replace Bosh.

One source with knowledge of Toronto's thinking told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the Raptors, as of 9 a.m. ET, had yet to hear anything official from Bosh's camp about his intentions.

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo, in a text message to The Associated Press on Wednesday morning, said, "I have nothing official from anyone."

Amid a growing sense among rival executives that James intends to stay with his hometown Cleveland Cavaliers, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that James is still seriously considering joining forces with Wade and Bosh in Miami and had a discussion about the possibility that all three could wind up playing together for the Heat on a conference call early Wednesday morning.

James or not, the Heat could emerge as one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference with Wade and Bosh aboard.

Wade, Bosh and James have maintained a dialogue throughout the free-agent process and in the days leading up to July 1, keeping alive the possibility that all three could wind up playing together for the Heat while also sifting through the various options on the table.

ESPN.com reported June 28 that the trio held a scaled-down version of the free-agent summit originally suggested by Wade to seriously discuss their futures, with a focus on the idea that all three could team up with the Heat. Sources close to the situation insist, though, that James has not promised anything to his Team USA colleagues and is not tipping off which way he's leaning.

For much of Monday and Tuesday, several team executives and league insiders expressed their belief to ESPN.com that James re-signing with the Cavaliers, and Wade and Bosh landing together in Miami, was the most likely outcome of a saga that began three years ago when James, Wade and Bosh all signed contracts that enabled them to become free agents in the summer of 2010.

But the New York Knicks, after securing a verbal commitment from free agent power forward Amare Stoudemire, have not surrendered in the chase for James, despite a growing sense around the league that the opportunity to play with Wade and Bosh is the only scenario that prevent the Cavs from keeping their face of the franchise.

Chris Broussard is an NBA writer for ESPN The Magazine. ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher, ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Wade and Bosh in Miami scares me less than Wade and Bosh in Cleveland. Cleveland has a few more supporting players.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next