Ktron
gyso
worcester
19 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Celtics Related Trade Rumors - Page 10 Empty Re: Celtics Related Trade Rumors

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:02 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/top-stories/intriguing-option-for-celtics-may-soon-become-available

Intriguing Option for Celtics May Soon Become Available

As the Celtics work to put the finishing touches on their roster, they have one full-time spot open, and they're $3.4 million under the second apron.

The Celtics have one full-time roster spot vacant and an opening for a two-way deal. They're $3.4 million under the second apron, per Spotrac.

Plus, Luke Kornet, Dalano Banton, and Justin Champagnie's contracts not being fully guaranteed gives them more flexibility.

And while they've reportedly expressed interest in signing Austin Rivers, per the Boston Globe's Gary Washburn, a free agent cited while exploring the Celtics' best available options, players cut as teams finalize their rosters will create another intriguing pool of players to consider.

According to Keith Smith of Spotrac, multiple teams are monitoring who becomes available from the Thunder, with one executive conveying, "Some good players are going to get cut from OKC, and we all need to be ready to jump when that happens."

Oklahoma City, who extended head coach Mark Daigneault's contract Wednesday, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, has done an outstanding job developing the high volume of younger players that have mainly joined its roster from the franchise stockpiling draft picks.

Unfortunately for the Thunder, to that team executive's point, they can't keep everyone.

That could lead to Usman Garuba or TyTy Washington Jr. relocating again after their involvement in multiple trades this summer or Aaron Wiggins becoming available.

It could also result in Oklahoma City parting with Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. The former Villanova Wildcat was the 32nd pick of the 2021 draft. He's a six-foot-nine power forward who turns 23 in November.

Robinson-Earl is at his best at the defensive end, where he has the versatility to guard multiple positions. He's also a high-IQ player who sees the floor well and is an effective cutter.

The former five-star recruit averaged 7.2 points per game his first two years in the NBA and made 35.2 percent of his 3.4 three-point attempts as a rookie, demonstrating his ability to grow into a reliable stretch-four. He's also productive on the glass, grabbing 5.6 rebounds in 22.2 minutes as a rookie and 4.2 per contest in 18.9 minutes last season.

While the Celtics may not want to part with multiple second-round picks to acquire him, if they can bring Robinson-Earl on board for one, he'd provide them an added layer of quality front-court depth with promising upside. And according to Spotrac, he's only on the books for $1.9 million for the 2023-24 campaign and has a team option also worth under $2 million for 2024-25.

Bob
MY NOTE:  

Usman Garuba - 21 1/2, 6'8", 220#, 40.7% from 3 on 59 attempts last year.  970 minutes last year.

TyTy Washington - almost 22, 6'3", 200#, poor shooter.  433 minutes in his rookie year last season.

Aaron Wiggins - 24 1/2, 6'6", 200#, 39.3% from 3 on 112 fgas.  6'11" wingspan.  2500 total NBA minutes.

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl - almost 23, 6'9", 230#, the rest is 'meh'

I'd be ok with Garuba or Wiggins.  You can keep the other two.  Robinson-Earl is 34.4% from 3 in his two seasons.  I don't know what this guy is oohing and ahhing about.  Garuba might be questionable because next year his contract goes from $2.6M to $4.4M.  Wiggins is 34.6% from 3 career, but he has the defensive capabilities.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:37 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-reportedly-shutting-down-malcolm-142531558.html

Celtics reportedly shutting down Malcolm Brogdon trade inquiries

Justin Quinn
Fri, July 21, 2023 at 7:25 AM PDT

After the news of the version of the three-team deal that brought Kristaps Porzingis to the Boston Celtics which included point guard Malcolm Brogdon collapsed, it was assumed that the Virginia alum was still potentially available for trade. But after recent reporting from Heavy’s Steve Bulpett, it seems as if that might no longer be the case, lining up with reports that the Celtics plan to move forward with Brogdon as a key part of their backcourt.

“We asked about him and we were told he’s a valued member of their team,” said an anonymous league source. “They said he’s a valued member of their team, and that’s where it ended.”

“I don’t know if that changes down the line, but we didn’t get anywhere. And I’m pretty sure we aren’t the only team that got that response.”

“They didn’t want to move him in the first place,” added another anonymous source. “They really like Malcolm. But they had to balance out their roster. They didn’t want to go into another season having to rely so heavily on (Robert) Williams and (Al) Horford.”

“They had a bit of a logjam in the backcourt, and they really needed some insurance up front.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  This shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.  Once Marcus was traded for Z, instead of Brogdon, Malcolm Brogdon wasn't going anywhere Caveat:  Unless he's the centerpiece of a trade for Dame.  The key word is "centerpiece".  If he's a piece and there's another major piece, like RWill, then I still don't think he's going anywhere.  I love Dame and wish he'd be in green but we're running low on, whom I consider to be, Championship level bench players.  Although, to be fair, if we did land Dame for Brogdon and RWill I think the Ring Wraiths would be wanting to come to Boston en masse.  A starting line up of Dame, JB, JT, Al and Z is the best starting 5 in the league.  It'd be our bench, without Brogdon or RWill, that would be pure veneer and that's catnip to a quality player with some left in the tank but has never won a ring or perhaps never even come close enought to sniff one.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:21 am

MY NOTE:  NOT a trade, but a Celtic signing report, per Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/top-stories/free-agent-sharpshooter-reportedly-receives-offer-from-celtics

Free-Agent Sharpshooter Reportedly Receives Offer from Celtics

The Celtics have two full-time open roster spots and must fill at least one of them.

BOBBY KRIVITSKY
13 HOURS AGO

After waiving Justin Champagnie, the Celtics have two full-time and one two-way roster spot open.

Before parting with the former Pittsburgh Panther, Boston was $2.3 million under the second apron, per Spotrac. The move gives the C's $4.2 million in breathing room below that threshold.

While there's a good chance it happened before Champagnie's tenure in Boston ended, as the Celtics work to round out their team entering the 2023-24 campaign, they've reportedly offered Svi Mykhailiuk a contract.

The former Kansas Jayhawk, best known for his marksmanship, hasn't shot as consistently from beyond the arc in his NBA career as one would expect. He's had three instances of shooting below 33.5 percent from three-point range. Granted, switching teams in-season is likely partially responsible.

Mykhailiuk drilled 40.4 percent of the 5.1 threes he hoisted while with the Pistons in 2019-20. He also knocked down 40.4 percent of his 4.7 attempts from beyond the arc in 19 appearances with the Hornets last season.

While his inconsistency as a shooter is the primary reason he got left off this author's list of Boston's best remaining free-agent options, he's a six-foot-seven wing who has made an average of 36 percent of the 4.7 threes he's launched in his five-year career. Mykhailiuk meshes with Joe Mazzulla's three-point-heavy approach, and he'd provide the Celtics with a solid layer of depth.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6'7", 205#, 26 years old.  6'5" wingspan, so he's got Kelly O alligator arms.  Has played 4213 NBA minutes in 5 seasons.  Has played on 6 teams.  In 5 seasons.  Career 36% 3pt shooter.  Shot 40.4% last year, but on only 89 3pt fgas.  This article doesn't say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a camp contract and not a full one.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:52 am

I cannot imagine Svi Mykhailiuk is the answer. After filling in the roster with long active springy young guys, I would think that the last two positions would be filled with vet guys.

I agree with Bob, he's getting paid for going to camp, with little chance of making the big team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:43 pm

I can see them adding 2 veterans but I would think that they will not add a vet with 10 or more years of experience because the salary would be $3.2 million.

I seriously doubt that Brad will fill both roster spots before the beginning of the season.

The Celtics are positioned to stay below the 2nd apron for the 2023-24 season.

They probably will be adding a player in March, for example, on a pro rata contract that will keep them under the 2nd apron.  

Maybe they will uncover a good addition on the cheap.  There are a lot of UFA out there with no job waiting for them.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:15 pm

FYI,  OKC has 20 players under contract.  OBVIOUSLY, 5 must be gone by Opening Night.  

Victor Oladipo - $9.45M player option exercised, UFA next year.  We have a $6+M TPE from the Grant Williams trade.  If we throw in an end-of-bencher's contract to make the numbers work? Or maybe sign-and-trade someone OKC wants + TPE in exchange for Oladipo? Oly isn't an efficient scorer but he isn't shy neither. If we need points in a hurry...

We've mentioned OKC's TyTy Washington, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl and, I think, Usman Garuba (?) in another post.

Washington has 16 players under contract, every one with guaranteed money.  The obvious cut, perhaps, is Mike Muscala.  We cannot sign Moose because we just traded him, but if they keep Moose then someone will be released or traded.

San Antonio has 18 players under contract, every one with some guaranteed money.  They will have to do a multi-player trade or buy 3 players out.

Memphis has 17 players, all with some guaranteed money.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:29 pm

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/report-celtics-offered-svi-mykhailiuk-contract-free-agency/546088/

Report: Celtics made contract offer to free-agent forward

Svi Mykhailiuk fits the profile of what the Celtics might be looking for in free agency.

By Darren Hartwell • Published 2 hours ago • Updated 2 hours ago

The Boston Celtics have two open roster spots and a need for wing depth. Enter Svi Mykhailiuk?

The free-agent wing has received a contract offer from the Celtics, the Greek news outlet SDNA reported Wednesday. Mykhailiuk also is in discussions with the Greek club team Panathinaikos, per SDNA, and is expected to decide soon whether he wants to play for Boston or continue his playing career in Europe.

A native of Ukraine, Mykhailiuk joined the Los Angeles Lakers as their second-round pick in the 2018 NBA Draft after starring at Kansas. He's played for six NBA teams over the past five seasons, splitting the 2022-23 campaign between the New York Knicks and Charlotte Hornets.

Bob
MY NOTE:  So it looksl like he's NOT signed, but an offer has been made for the veteran's minimum.  According to Spotrac his total career earnings are about $10M.  To be honest, if I was him, if he could get a better, longer-term deal in Greece I'd take it.  He's never going to be much more than a rotation player, at best, in the NBA.  If a vet minimum offer from the Celtics is the best he's being offered then he's hit his ceiling here.  It'd be one thing if he was at the end of a long and lucrative career, like Blake or DRose, and he just wanted to keep playing but he's not.  He's only 26 years old and is being offered the minimum and, even then, the Celtics seem to be the only team in the NBA that's willing to offer even that.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Bob... Oladipo had another knee injury. he's done.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36273033/sources-heat-victor-oladipo-suffers-torn-patellar-tendon
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:46 pm

dboss, very good accounting logic there:
"They probably will be adding a player in March, for example, on a pro rata contract that will keep them under the 2nd apron."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:09 pm

Technically not a trade rumor, but Wyc Grousbeck responded to a question from a reporter as to whether he was considering selling his equity in the Celtics like Michael Jordan did with the Hornets, and he responded 'NO'.

So, we're not being traded to another majority owner.

Having survived The Chicken King John Y Brown I am quite satisfied with the efforts, and willingness to spend what it takes, of our current team owners and have no desire to replace them.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:41 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kaufman-heard-whispers-celtics-still-174043929.html

Kaufman: ‘I have heard some whispers’ that the Celtics are still trying to trade Malcolm Brogdon

Justin Quinn

Mon, September 25, 2023 at 10:40 AM PDT·2 min read

The radio silence from both the Boston Celtics and point guard Malcolm Brogdon‘s camp since the trade that would have sent him to the Los Angeles Clippers collapsed has not done fans of the team any favors, with many left wondering if the ball club will start another season with internal problems to consider. A recent report from the Boston Globe’s Adam Himmelsbach threw some water on the rumors, but even the Globe reporter admitted something seems “off” with the situation.

Now, CLNS Media’s Adam Kaufman has put a bit more kindling back under that source of offseason smoke, saying on a recent episode of the “Celtics Beat” podcast that he has “heard some whispers that the Celtics are still trying to trade (Brogdon).”

“I am not saying my reporting is any better than Adam Himmelsbach,” he qualified. “In fact, I will tell you the opposite — it is very much inferior to Adam Himmelsbach’s.”

“However, I had been saying for weeks, for months — ever since this trade fell apart — do not be surprised if the fallout from this situation or potential fallout still leads to Malcolm Brogdon being traded,” he added.

“I still believe that even though we’re sitting here in late September, I still believe Malcolm Brogdon is maybe not actively being dangled out there by the Celtics, but I think he is absolutely on the trade block, I firmly, firmly believe that.”

Whether Boston and Brogdon are quietly looking for a new home for the Virginia alum, in the midst of a rapprochement to heal the wounds opened by the trade attempt, or simply gearing up for a title run, we don’t have long to wait with Media Day arriving on October 2 — exactly a week from today.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Celtics Media Day is now 6 days from now.  

A Malcolm Brogdon-for-Damien Lillard trade does not work.  Brogdon+RWill doesn't either, regardless if it's a deal we'd want to make or not.  We would need a 3rd team no matter what.  If I'm correct in that then we might be giving up Brogdon, still NOT getting Lillard, but getting a solid player and/or draft picks as a facilitator.  The odds of Brad facilitating a trade that moves Lillard to his preferred destination of Miami are, in my opinion, long. Miami is the team that beat us last year, they are the team we need to pass this year, it would make no sense (Men plan, and the basketball gods laugh).

IF Brogdon is gone, and is not replaced with a veteran floor general, then my concerns about our offensive balance and fluidity will reach clinically dangerous levels. I'm liking the Lamar Stevens signing, he'll provide some of the grit we lost this offseason, but this was/is premised upon Brogdon still being here.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:01 pm

My only question is that if there is this much animosity from Brogden, why is he agent not publically demanding a trade? Seems that is the new way of doing business, leaks from agents constantly getting players moved out of situations they want out of. The quiet front the front office is putting up right now is puzzling in one way, but true to form were Brad is concerned. As far as Lillard is concerned, wish DA was around here, no way in hell would he have anything to do with strengthening Miami. His relationship with Riley is well known, they dislike each other immensely and I can agree with him. Riley has been someone I have had no love for since he was a player. i feel Wyc would feel the same way. It scares me to think that Brogden will leave, with no strong point guard to take his place. Sorry, Pritchard is good, but to me he is a backup
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:20 pm

It is very odd that we haven't heard a peep out of Brogdon all summer.

He is such a major part of our rotation; this issue is causing a lot of heartburn this summer, perhaps even more than the Smart trade shocker.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:03 am

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
yesterday
I wouldn’t bet on the #Celtics getting Holiday but this is the time to make the big moves you want before the 2nd apron makes things difficult in coming seasons.

Adam Himmelsbach
Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
yesterday
Not a big surprise, but I’ve been told the Celtics are expected to explore the possibility of trading for Jrue Holiday.

Bob
MY NOTE:  To make this happen I think it would take Brogdon, Al and picks.  I think that's too much given Jrue is 33.  Jrue's a helluva player, but Brogdon is only 31, and when you're in your 30s 2 years is a long time.  On the other hand, Jrue is a better player and played 2183 minutes in 67 games last year.  "Medical Malcolm" played 1744 minutes in 67 games.  Jrue is also a Marcus Smart-like dawg, which we need.  Hmmm.  I'm starting to rethink my conclusion.

Either way, Jrue's $36.9M this year and $39.4M next year salaries would make him the #1 most expensive player on the Celtics this year (Jaylen's extension doesn't kick in until next season).  That has to make Wyc pause.

If I were to guess I'd go with 'no go', Jrue Holiday is not coming to Boston.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:52 am

That is because Riley is ticked off and will go after him asap. although, seems like Portland does not want what Pat has to offer. Maybe he should offer Jimmy
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:19 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-clippers-still-engaging-celtics-145842506.html

Report: Clippers still engaging Celtics in Brogdon trade talks

Darren Hartwell

Fri, September 29, 2023 at 7:58 AM PDT·2 min read

The Los Angeles Clippers nearly traded for Malcolm Brogdon earlier this summer -- and it appears their pursuit of the veteran Boston Celtics guard isn't over.

The Clippers "have continued to engage the Celtics in trade talks" for Brogdon "throughout the offseason," The Athletic's Jared Weiss reported Friday, citing league sources.

The Celtics, Clippers and Washington Wizards came close to pulling off a three-team trade in late June that would have sent Kristaps Porzingis to Boston and Brogdon to Los Angeles, but the trade fell apart at the last minute, reportedly because the Clippers didn't have time to complete a physical exam on Brogdon, who dealt with a forearm injury in the 2023 playoffs.

The Celtics still landed Porzingis by dealing Marcus Smart to Memphis as part of a new three-team deal, but Brogdon reportedly was "angry" with the team over how the whole situation played out. While Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens said recently he's had several conversations with Brogdon since then to smooth things over, it appears there's still a possibility the 30-year-old gets moved before training camp begins next week.

What would a Brogdon-to-L.A. trade look like? One possibility is that the Clippers join the Trail Blazers and Celtics as part of a three-team deal that sends Jrue Holiday from Portland to Boston. The Clippers also reportedly are interested in Holiday, however, so it seems unlikely that L.A. would help Boston land the superior player in Holiday unless it received valuable assets from either the Celtics or Blazers in return.

Another possibility is a separate deal between the Celtics and Clippers if Holiday winds up elsewhere. It's unclear what Boston would want in return, however. While role players like Robert Covington, Terance Mann and Norman Powell could bolster the Celtics' wing depth, the C's already are down a point guard after trading Smart and may prefer to keep Brogdon, the reigning Sixth Man of the Year, as a starting-caliber backup behind Derrick White.

Boston kicks off its training camp next Tuesday, so the clock is ticking if Stevens wants to find a way to land Holiday and/or strike a deal with the Clippers involving Brogdon.

Bob
MY NOTE:  We cannot just keep trading away point guards and hope wings and bigs can run an uptempo offense. Those MFing Clippers! They couldn't do this a month ago so we could have kept Marcus?! We wouldn't be talking about Jrue Holiday at all if we lost Brogdon and kept Marcus.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:29 pm

Does Golden State have the $$ and players to sign and trade for Holiday. I could also see that happening. I have no idea what the heck Riley is doing down there, unless he now is on a tear to get Siakam. This could get messy, especially if Brad has told Brogden he is not being moved. I really wuld not like to hear what a disgruntled Brogden would have to say about Boston. This will not be pretty and personally, I would tell the Clippers to take a walk unless you get exaactly what he want since they messed everything up to start off with
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:49 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-pritchard-blazers-radar-holiday-171414511.html

Report: Pritchard on Blazers' radar if they make Holiday trade with Celtics

Nick Goss

Fri, September 29, 2023 at 10:14 AM PDT·2 min read

The Portland Trail Blazers reportedly are expected to move Jrue Holiday at some point after acquiring the veteran point guard as part of the blockbuster trade that sent superstar guard Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks earlier this week.

The Blazers are rebuilding, and as a top-tier perimeter defender with championship experience, Holiday has plenty of value and should be able to fetch Portland multiple assets for its ongoing rebuild.

The Boston Celtics are reportedly expected to explore the possibility of acquiring Holiday from the Blazers. It wouldn't be an easy deal for the C's to complete, though, because they don't have a ton of salaries to use to match Holiday's $37.3 million salary for next season.

One role player the Celtics could potentially include as part of a Holiday deal is Payton Pritchard. In fact, the Blazers have Pritchard "on their radar" if they were to engage the Celtics on a potential Holiday trade, per Yahoo Sports' Jake Fischer.

“With (Malcolm) Brogdon to match Holiday’s salary, yeah, Payton Pritchard is going out the door in that scenario,” Fischer said on the “Yahoo Sports NBA: Ball Don’t Lie” podcast. “Payton Pritchard is definitely someone on Portland’s radar. He played college basketball at Oregon. Clearly, that would be a match made in heaven. But there’s no way to really get the salaries to match if you’re not including Robert Williams or Al Horford. It just kind of gets thorny.”

This makes sense for a few reasons. Pritchard has shown on several occasions that he can be a solid backup point guard on a good team. He has shot 40 percent from 3-point range and 89 percent from the free throw line in his three-year career. Pritchard is not an amazing defender by any means, but he plays with tenacity and effort. He also crashes the boards well for a guard.

Another factor is Pritchard's ties to the Northwest, as Fischer noted above. He starred at the University of Oregon and was born in the state. So he'd be going closer to home near friends and family.

Pritchard has value to the Celtics, and if he's on the roster to start the 2023-24 season, head coach Joe Mazzulla would be wise to give the 25-year-old guard a larger role. And with Marcus Smart gone, there should be more minutes for Pritchard to provide a spark off the bench.

But if there's a real opportunity to acquire a two-way guard of Holiday's caliber, the Celtics have to seriously explore that. Adding Holiday would give the Celtics more toughness, elite perimeter defense and consistent scoring at point guard.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Brogdon, RWill and Payton for 33 year old Jrue?  Too rich for my blood, I'd fold.  How about Brogdon, Pritchard, picks and a Gordon Hayward sized TPE?  Can a TPE be created to keep you under the apron so you don't have to match salaries exactly?  GYSO?  If we can do that then we could sign Cameron Payne for the vets minimum and we've filled out the depth chart at guard again.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:55 am

I agree Bob, it is like we are desperate and will sell the farm. It is interesting though, that most trades have Rob available. Is he really? Reluctance to give him another contract?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:14 pm

Bob,

If there was an easy way to make the trade, and everyone got what they wanted, it would be done.

Whenever fans propose trades, they tend to include players that they can live without. Guess who can also live without those players? The other team.

As I said in another thread, I see no realistic path for a trade between Boston and Portland.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:23 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
New: A league source tells MassLive the Celtics are not done tinkering with their roster after acquiring Jrue Holiday.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:38 pm

Where will Malcolm end up? I guess Portland has said they are trading him. Miami? Clippers?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Portland is getting a fortune between Dame, Holiday and potentially Brogdon.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:18 pm

The San Antonio Spurs have waived 6 year veteran Khem Birch.  6'9", 234#, 7'1" wingspan, 31 years old.  Played in 282 NBA games, started in 45 of them (most of them for Nick Nurse in Toronto over 3 years. That says something), 4825 total NBA minutes played.  So he's quite seasoned.  Not a shooter, not a scorer.  Can't shoot 3s to save his life, has only taken 70 in his career, as if we need that.  His assist-to-turnover ratio is 2:1, which is quite nice for a big. He was sent to SAS by Toronto as part of the Jakob Poetl deal last year. In his last contract year, making $7M, just got cut. Spurs just eating his contract, I guess. Wow.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/birchkh01.html

ALSO, the Nets have waived Darius Bazley.  6'8", 208#, 7' wingspan, 23 years old.  He has played in 228 games, started in 118 of them (all in OKC, which has been in complete rebuild mode, so anybody could have started), a total of 5384 NBA minutes.  That is a LOT of minutes for a 23 year old who was drafted #23 and just completed his 4th season.  Like Birch he's not much of a scorer but his career Defensive Rating is a very nice 111.  His Offensive Rating is offensive, but he defends.  Signed a 1 year $2M contract with Brooklyn. Non-guaranteed, obviously, but that's his high water mark as far as his $ expectations go.

We have plenty of shooters.  What we need is another healthy big to take some of the punishment off of Z and Al and either one of these guys could help.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bazleda01.html

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:14 am

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/11/29/lakers-celtics-warriors-trade-rumors-news-grizzlies-john-konchar

Lakers, Celtics and Warriors Showing Trade Interest in Grizzlies Guard, per Report

JEFF SMITH13 HOURS AGO

While the NBA trade deadline remains over two months away, the rumor mill never seems to slow down. Contenders, teams off to slow starts, and others simply looking for a shakeup appear to always have their eyes peeled for the right opportunity. And the Lakers, Celtics and Warriors are already reportedly keeping “tabs” on Grizzlies guard John Konchar.

Konchar, who’s seen limited playing time this season, was listed alongside sharpshooter Luke Kennard as two players from Memphis that teams are keeping an eye on, according to Hoops Hype’s Michael Scotto.

Reserve forward John Konchar is also a candidate to be dealt before the February trade deadline. The Celtics, Warriors, and Lakers are among the teams who’ve kept tabs on Konchar’s situation from afar, HoopsHype has learned.

Konchar, 27, was undrafted out of Purdue Fort Wayne in 2019 and has spent the first five years of his NBA career with the Grizzlies. He’s averaged more minutes the past three years, logging a career-high 20.8 per game last season. Through the 13 games he’s played this year, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard has averaged 18.7 minutes per game.

Konchar is a career 47.6% shooter from the field and has knocked down 37.1% of his attempts from beyond the arc over his five seasons, but has primarily been a role player and never attempted more than 4.4 shots per game in a single season.

As for Kennard, the former Duke standout could be another name to monitor for multiple top teams. He’d unquestionably pull a larger return in a potential trade, as Kennard averaged 11.3 points per game last season and 8.3 this year. He’s also a career 43.5% three-point shooter—the type of player any contender could benefit from adding

Bob
MY NOTE:  Konchar is 6'5", 210#, 6'7" wingspan.  27 years old.  Will be 28 years old in March.  Has only play 243 minutes so far this season but has > 3700 NBA minutes total including almost 1500 last season.  This is interesting considering Memphis is without Ja and could use a guard who can play some of his minutes.   Not big numbers but efficient.  Excellent assist-to-turnover ratio, 3.16:1 career.

Konchar is getting paid $2.4M this year.  He is already extended for 3 years after this one @ ~ $6.1M/year.   Kennard, who is also mentioned in this article, is $14M.  So he is a very unlikely target for us.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/konchjo01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next