Ktron
gyso
worcester
19 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Celtics Related Trade Rumors - Page 11 Empty Re: Celtics Related Trade Rumors

Post by dboss Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:17 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2023/11/29/lakers-celtics-warriors-trade-rumors-news-grizzlies-john-konchar

Lakers, Celtics and Warriors Showing Trade Interest in Grizzlies Guard, per Report

JEFF SMITH13 HOURS AGO

While the NBA trade deadline remains over two months away, the rumor mill never seems to slow down. Contenders, teams off to slow starts, and others simply looking for a shakeup appear to always have their eyes peeled for the right opportunity. And the Lakers, Celtics and Warriors are already reportedly keeping “tabs” on Grizzlies guard John Konchar.

Konchar, who’s seen limited playing time this season, was listed alongside sharpshooter Luke Kennard as two players from Memphis that teams are keeping an eye on, according to Hoops Hype’s Michael Scotto.

Reserve forward John Konchar is also a candidate to be dealt before the February trade deadline. The Celtics, Warriors, and Lakers are among the teams who’ve kept tabs on Konchar’s situation from afar, HoopsHype has learned.

Konchar, 27, was undrafted out of Purdue Fort Wayne in 2019 and has spent the first five years of his NBA career with the Grizzlies. He’s averaged more minutes the past three years, logging a career-high 20.8 per game last season. Through the 13 games he’s played this year, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard has averaged 18.7 minutes per game.

Konchar is a career 47.6% shooter from the field and has knocked down 37.1% of his attempts from beyond the arc over his five seasons, but has primarily been a role player and never attempted more than 4.4 shots per game in a single season.

As for Kennard, the former Duke standout could be another name to monitor for multiple top teams. He’d unquestionably pull a larger return in a potential trade, as Kennard averaged 11.3 points per game last season and 8.3 this year. He’s also a career 43.5% three-point shooter—the type of player any contender could benefit from adding

Bob
MY NOTE:  Konchar is 6'5", 210#, 6'7" wingspan.  27 years old.  Will be 28 years old in March.  Has only play 243 minutes so far this season but has > 3700 NBA minutes total including almost 1500 last season.  This is interesting considering Memphis is without Ja and could use a guard who can play some of his minutes.   Not big numbers but efficient.  Excellent assist-to-turnover ratio, 3.16:1 career.

Konchar is getting paid $2.4M this year.  He is already extended for 3 years after this one @ ~ $6.1M/year.   Kennard, who is also mentioned in this article, is $14M.  So he is a very unlikely target for us.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/konchjo01.html

Bob

keep an eye out for that big iceberg that broke off from Antarctica!

With respect to Konchar, I do not see the Celtics making a trade for him.   He is not having a particularly good year.  He is shooting 32% from deep and last year he shot 33.9% from deep.  Given all the injuries for Memphis you would expect a 5 year veteran to step up a bit.  He signed a 3 year extension beginning next season for around $6.1 million per year.  That's tax payer MLE money.    

He is not efficient this season.  The one thing that he does fairly well is rebound the ball.  (4.2 per game.  His assist to TOV ratio is irrelevant.  He only averages 1.7 assists per game.  Even if he did not sign the extension he would be a replica of Svi.  

The Celtics could use a big physical defender/rebounder.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:20 pm

dboss wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2023/11/29/lakers-celtics-warriors-trade-rumors-news-grizzlies-john-konchar

Lakers, Celtics and Warriors Showing Trade Interest in Grizzlies Guard, per Report

JEFF SMITH13 HOURS AGO

While the NBA trade deadline remains over two months away, the rumor mill never seems to slow down. Contenders, teams off to slow starts, and others simply looking for a shakeup appear to always have their eyes peeled for the right opportunity. And the Lakers, Celtics and Warriors are already reportedly keeping “tabs” on Grizzlies guard John Konchar.

Konchar, who’s seen limited playing time this season, was listed alongside sharpshooter Luke Kennard as two players from Memphis that teams are keeping an eye on, according to Hoops Hype’s Michael Scotto.

Reserve forward John Konchar is also a candidate to be dealt before the February trade deadline. The Celtics, Warriors, and Lakers are among the teams who’ve kept tabs on Konchar’s situation from afar, HoopsHype has learned.

Konchar, 27, was undrafted out of Purdue Fort Wayne in 2019 and has spent the first five years of his NBA career with the Grizzlies. He’s averaged more minutes the past three years, logging a career-high 20.8 per game last season. Through the 13 games he’s played this year, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard has averaged 18.7 minutes per game.

Konchar is a career 47.6% shooter from the field and has knocked down 37.1% of his attempts from beyond the arc over his five seasons, but has primarily been a role player and never attempted more than 4.4 shots per game in a single season.

As for Kennard, the former Duke standout could be another name to monitor for multiple top teams. He’d unquestionably pull a larger return in a potential trade, as Kennard averaged 11.3 points per game last season and 8.3 this year. He’s also a career 43.5% three-point shooter—the type of player any contender could benefit from adding

Bob
MY NOTE:  Konchar is 6'5", 210#, 6'7" wingspan.  27 years old.  Will be 28 years old in March.  Has only play 243 minutes so far this season but has > 3700 NBA minutes total including almost 1500 last season.  This is interesting considering Memphis is without Ja and could use a guard who can play some of his minutes.   Not big numbers but efficient.  Excellent assist-to-turnover ratio, 3.16:1 career.

Konchar is getting paid $2.4M this year.  He is already extended for 3 years after this one @ ~ $6.1M/year.   Kennard, who is also mentioned in this article, is $14M.  So he is a very unlikely target for us.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/konchjo01.html

Bob

keep an eye out for that big iceberg that broke off from Antarctica!

With respect to Konchar, I do not see the Celtics making a trade for him.   He is not having a particularly good year.  He is shooting 32% from deep and last year he shot 33.9% from deep.  Given all the injuries for Memphis you would expect a 5 year veteran to step up a bit.  He signed a 3 year extension beginning next season for around $6.1 million per year.  That's tax payer MLE money.    

He is not efficient this season.  The one thing that he does fairly well is rebound the ball.  (4.2 per game.  His assist to TOV ratio is irrelevant.  He only averages 1.7 assists per game.  Even if he did not sign the extension he would be a replica of Svi.  

The Celtics could use a big physical defender/rebounder.

Dboss,

If I can see that iceberg the Captain has us way too close.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:19 pm

Hard left damit...reverse engines
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:11 am

Yeah, dboss, that didn't work!! There are some deck chairs that do need arranging!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am

Celtics trade deadline cheat sheet

adamtaylor
Wed, December 20, 2023 at 8:27 PM GMT-3·3 min read

The Boston Celtics roster is unquestionably one of the most talented in the NBA. The top-six rotation are all potential All-Star talents and have proven their abilities over the season’s first quarter. Behind that six is Sam Hauser, Payton Pritchard, and Luke Kornet as the primary trio off the bench (along with Al Horford in a sixth-man role.)

However, after that, things get a little iffy. There have been serious questions surrounding the Celtics’ deep bench depth since the season began, and so far, there has been little to ease fans’ concerns. Of course, when the postseason begins, Joe Mazzulla will likely shorten his rotation to a seven or eight. Still, having reliable insurance deeper in the rotation is a luxury all contending teams need.

Brad Stevens may look to swing a trade or two before the February 8 trade deadline. Finding another contributor or two who can shore up the big man and point guard rotation would likely cement the Celtics as championship favorites.

After an active summer, Boston’s trade assets are thin but not empty. Here is a complete cheat sheet heading into trade season.

Tradable players

Sam Hauser – $1.9 million, one year remaining

Jrue Holiday – $36.8 million, player option next season

Al Horford – $10 million, one year remaining

Kristaps Porzingis – $36 million, two years remaining

Payton Pritchard – $4 million, poison pill

Derrick White – $18.3 million, one year remaining

Tradeable incoming draft picks

2024 second-round pick from Chicago or New Orleans (more favorable);

Dallas’ 2024 second-round pick

2025 second-round pick from Dallas, Detroit, Golden State, or Washington

2026 second-round pick from Minnesota, New Orleans, New York, or Portland (most favorable)

Atlanta’s 2027 second-round pick

Dallas’ 2030 second-round pick

Tradeable team draft picks

2024 first-round pick

2025 first-round pick

2026 first-round pick

2027 first-round pick

2030 first-round pick

2030 second-round pick

Potential players to be traded

Oshae Brissett

Lamar Stevens – contract guarantees on January 7

Svi Mykhailiuk

Dalano Banton

Potential free agent targets

John Wall

Austin Rivers

Dwight Howard

Willie Cauley-Stein

Khem Birch

Nerlens Noel

Danny Green

Potential trade targets

Andre Drummond

Aaron Wiggins

Naji Marshall

Alex Caruso (dream scenario)

Bob
MY NOTE:  Here's my take on all this:

Tradable players

Sam Hauser – $1.9 million, one year remaining - Possible but very unlikely

Jrue Holiday – $36.8 million, player option next season

Al Horford – $10 million, one year remaining

Kristaps Porzingis – $36 million, two years remaining

Payton Pritchard – $4 million, poison pill

Derrick White – $18.3 million, one year remaining

Tradeable incoming draft picks

2024 second-round pick from Chicago or New Orleans (more favorable);

Dallas’ 2024 second-round pick

2025 second-round pick from Dallas, Detroit, Golden State, or Washington

2026 second-round pick from Minnesota, New Orleans, New York, or Portland (most favorable)

Atlanta’s 2027 second-round pick

Dallas’ 2030 second-round pick

Tradeable team draft picks

2024 first-round pick

2025 first-round pick

2026 first-round pick

2027 first-round pick

2030 first-round pick

2030 second-round pick

Potential players to be traded - MY NOTE:  All of these are sufficiently down the bench that trading them isn't inconceivable.  I think trading Dalano is unlikely, Joe seems to like him, but the others are trade fillers.  Lamar, and especially Svi, are obviously the most vulnerable. I like Lamar but it's hard to miss someone if you never get a chance to see them in the first place and Svi is a complete chalk outline.

Oshae Brissett

Lamar Stevens – contract guarantees on January 7

Svi Mykhailiuk - the last $1m of his $2.3M contract becomes fully guaranteed on January 10th

Dalano Banton

Potential free agent targets

John Wall

Austin Rivers

Dwight Howard

Willie Cauley-Stein

Khem Birch

Nerlens Noel

Danny Green

MY NOTE:  All of these players were available to start the season and Brad didn't go for any of them.

Potential trade targets

Andre Drummond - $3.36M.  I just looked it up and it blows my mind that Andre Drummond is still only 30 years old and has played only 378 minutes.  The bottom just fell out from immobile non-shooters like him.  Personally I'd like to have him.  Can't have him in a game at crucial times because of Hack-a-Drummond but as an extra big, strong body against Embiid and Brook Lopez, both of whom are potential if not likely playoff opponents?  Sure.

Aaron Wiggins - a wing.  I don't want another wing, I want a big or a playmaker.

Naji Marshall - same as Wiggins.  Don't want a wing.

Alex Caruso (dream scenario) - $9.6M.  Grant's TPE + Svi will get us within $1M.  Might not be enough because we're over the apron.  Never saw why everybody loves this guy so much, personally.

The author completely omitted our TPEs as trade assets.  Not very thorough, is he?

Amount..............Expiration Date........Traded Player
$505,239............1/5/24...................Noah Vonleh
$1,836,090.........2/9/24...................Justin Jackson
$6,202,500.........7/12/24.................Grant Williams

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:42 am

Bob,

Nice post.

TPE:
$6,202,500.........7/12/24.................Grant Williams

That TPE could be the mechanism that would bring in a player without having to release or trade anyone on the current roster.

Drummond vs. Queta? Brad and Company are hoping Queta develops enough to be trusted to be on the floor before the playoffs. Me too.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:38 pm

I have never been a drummond lover, i know he is a real big, and would probably fit but on a running team, I could see hi out of breath two plays into his stint on the floor. Crazy,? probably, but I really do not like him. Alex Caruso loves to play against the Celt[i]cs, but I wonder if he would be happy taking a bibackseat to Pritchard and Hauser. If we want to continue their development, we should not get someone who will be looking to displace either of them. We always have said, "why can't we develop a shooter like Robinson in Miami, or others that escape my mind rightt now. (what do you want, it's christmas and I have not stopped for three days!!! Italian sausage breads coming tomorrow, 10 of them!!) it's a good thing we have the night off! Anyway, as I ramble on and on, I am wondering if there is really someone who could do more for us than we have on our bench?? Brisette showed that he is quite capable, Queta just needs more time on the floor, I am not convinceed on Svi. Ok, I am done, time to sit back and listen to everyone tell me I am wrong!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:21 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Italian sausage breads coming tomorrow, 10 of them!!

Forget basketball. Let’s talk about this!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:18 pm

Too bad you are so far away!!!! Guess BobC may be able to report on it if he makes it over in the new year. That is…if he likes Italian!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:23 pm

Quote of the day: "Svi is a complete chalk outline."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:43 pm

Reading through the comments, the general  consensus seems to be that none of the suggested moves are happening. I couldn't agree more. Svi is a better player than Konchar , and he never gets a meaningful minute.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:45 pm

The play of Queta has opened my eyes a bit.  If The Celtics plan to fill the open 15th roster spot, he has to be considered as a candidate.

We need to have another big in reserve.  I continue to feel a bit squeamish just about every time KP leaves his feet and then comes down.    I just can't seem to get it out of my head.  He goes up and comes down crashing to the floor like a skeleton and what's left is a bag of bones.  It's a horrid vision that must be exorcised from my thoughts.

I do not see Boston looking to add another guard or wing player.  The playoffs is all about big boy basketball.  The physical demands to win 16 games is extraordinary.   As a matter of preference I am cemented into the need to secure the Big option.

With respect to Queta, he is a legit center in terms of length, size and strength.  His 7 foot frame supports 250 pounds of muscle and his 7' 4" wingspan  provides the measurables to rebound the basketball, challenge shots and get you a basket here or there at the rim.

So what if he fouls a lot.  He's a rotation center that has 5 fouls to give before he is thrown out of the game on foul #6.    If anyone expects the Celtics to play with physicality it begins and ends with physical contact.

If the Celtics just go ahead and upgrade his contract they should be all set for a deep playoff run.  Luke Kornet has been our 3rd center off the bench for moist of the season. His recent injury has opened the door for Queta to play more minutes.  I like what i am seeing from him.  My main beef about Kornet is his softness in the post. Yes, he makes a really good play here and there but his lack of rebounding hurts the team.   He lacks the strength to hold his position.  Queta, on the other hand, does not get pushed around.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:49 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Too bad you are so far away!!!! Guess BobC may be able to report on it if he makes it over in the new year.  That is…if he likes Italian!!!!

We can always talk Italian food, Rosalie!

I was raised by second generation Italian parents. One set of grandparents immigrated from Naples and the other from a port town outside Palermo. My grandfather was a baker and an incredibly skilled chef. My mom was a fantastic cook who made lots of traditional dishes, especially around the holidays. They're all gone now, but my Irish wife has picked up Italian cooking very nicely. Her homemade gnocchi (ricotta not potato) and sauce are on the menu for Christmas Eve.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:04 pm

Hi,
Agree with dboss about Queta and Kornet. The only advantage Queta has over Kornet - he doesn't try to block 3pt shot being 10 feet away from the shooter.
I also hope that Queta will get better with extra PT he's getting due to Kornet's injury.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:50 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Too bad you are so far away!!!! Guess BobC may be able to report on it if he makes it over in the new year.  That is…if he likes Italian!!!!

I had an Italian Thanksgiving and I’m having an Italian Christmas! My Italian landlord and friend in Newton cooked me dinner every night for 5 years!! All four of my grandparents are from Ireland, but I consider myself an honorary Italian.

Sausage bread???? 🍞 Oh yes I will be visiting!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:48 am

https://theathletic.com/5165014/2023/12/28/celtics-trade-deadline-brad-stevens/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

Celtics trade deadline: How trade exception, luxury tax will impact Brad Stevens’ decisions

Celtics Related Trade Rumors - Page 11 GettyImages-1873698687-1024x683
DETROIT, MICHIGAN - DECEMBER 21: Kelly Olynyk #41 of the Utah Jazz reacts in the second half while playing the Detroit Pistons at Little Caesars Arena on December 21, 2023 in Detroit, Michigan. Utah won the game 119-111. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

By Jay King
3h ago

Next up on the Boston Celtics’ agenda: a chance to extend the longest losing skid in NBA history. On paper, their meeting with Detroit might rank as the season’s biggest mismatch. The Pistons will walk into TD Garden on Thursday with 27 straight losses. Boston will arrive with an undefeated home record of 14-0.

Even with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown questionable for the game, the Celtics will be heavy favorites. They will try not to look past the matchup, but at The Athletic, that’s part of what we’re paid to do. The Feb. 8 trade deadline is just six weeks away. Here’s an early look at several factors that will help determine Brad Stevens’ course of action.

The TPE landscape

The Grant Williams sign-and-trade this summer left the Celtics with a $6.2 million traded player exception (TPE). It could be a useful trade chip, though just how useful remains to be seen.

At that price or lower, it’s difficult to find a player who would potentially be available and also have a realistic chance of helping the Celtics in a playoff series. Would the Hawks consider moving on from Saddiq Bey? He would fit comfortably into the trade exception and give Boston another playable wing in the postseason. Though Bey has been pretty productive for the Hawks this season, they won’t be able to pay everybody and could explore all of their options before he hits free agency this summer. At 12-18, they could be looking at a substantial roster shake-up soon.

Some other TPE targets would be at least mildly intriguing. Not many first-round picks get moved with one and a half years left on their rookie contracts, but if the dreadful Washington Wizards listen to offers for Corey Kispert, his sharpshooting could help somewhere else. Kris Dunn, a quality perimeter defender on an expiring contract, could be available if the Utah Jazz don’t see him as part of their future. HoopsHype’s Michael Scotto reported John Konchar as a possible Celtics target, though the Grizzlies could be hesitant to move anyone if they start charging up the standings with Ja Morant now available.

How many minutes would those players receive in Boston? And if none of them would impact the rotation, how much would the Celtics be willing to pay in luxury taxes for a ninth or 10th man?

The Celtics currently sit about $18 million over the luxury tax line with more than $183 million in projected payroll. For every dollar added to the payroll, they would also need to pony up more than three times that amount in luxury tax. So, if the Celtics include no outgoing salary while using the TPE, a $5 million player would cost the team more than $20 million. And money won’t be the only factor limiting whom the Celtics pursue.

Celtics Related Trade Rumors - Page 11 GettyImages-1782926839-2048x1365
If the Wizards need a shake-up, Corey Kispert could be a trade candidate. (Jacob Kupferman / Getty Images)

Stevens won’t want to mess with success

Stevens’ history as a coach and executive shows how much he values locker room dynamics. With the Celtics on pace to win 65 games, he will likely want no part of a trade that could potentially rock the boat.

Stevens made his stance on that clear last season. After acquiring Mike Muscala at the deadline, Stevens said he wanted to find someone with “the ability to play” who wouldn’t “need to play.” In other words, Stevens wanted to look for a player who would be OK with receiving a smaller role but capable of filling a bigger role when necessary.

Expect Stevens to aim for similar fits at this deadline. The Celtics don’t need much. Their starting lineup might be the NBA’s best. At age 37, Al Horford remains more than capable as a sixth man. Sam Hauser and Payton Pritchard have helped complete a better-than-advertised bench. Behind Horford, Luke Kornet has been solid, and Neemias Queta has been promising in limited minutes. Teams this good don’t normally make big changes at the deadline.

The Celtics are expected to examine bench options, but all of the evidence suggests the current group just fits well together. Hauser (41.6 percent) and Pritchard (40 percent) are living up to their reputations as knockdown 3-point shooters while showing off more well-rounded games. The team has blasted opponents by 9.2 points per 100 possessions with Horford on the court; that’s the worst on-court mark for any of the Celtics’ top eight rotation players. As the on-off data shows, Boston has consistently bashed the opposition with any combination of its regulars on the court. An extra perimeter player or a different type of bench big man could still help, if only to provide more playoff-caliber depth, but the second unit hasn’t been an issue so far, and most of the playoff minutes will go to the top-six players anyway.

Beyond the basketball fit, the Celtics locker room has been entirely no-nonsense. At least publicly, the players have all been OK with sacrificing minutes and/or touches. Nobody in a smaller role has complained. That type of team-first mindset is worth preserving. With all of the talent already in Boston, Stevens doesn’t necessarily need to take a big swing. He won’t want to disrupt what he already has.

Another financial factor

The Celtics don’t necessarily need to limit themselves to TPE targets, but they don’t have many bloated salaries to package together for an impact player on a bigger contract. The top-six rotation players (the starters and Horford) will combine to make more than $165 million this season. That’s more than 90 percent of the team’s payroll. Assuming Stevens plans to keep the top of his rotation intact (a safe assumption given the team’s start), his options will be limited from a financial perspective.

For the purpose of demonstrating that point, we can use Kelly Olynyk as an example. Marc Stein recently reported that the Celtics are “among the teams that (are) monitoring” the Jazz big man as a trade possibility. Olynyk, quietly putting together an efficient season in Utah, would give Boston another quality depth piece in the frontcourt, but it would be extremely difficult for the Celtics to make the money work without including a rotation player in the deal. Unless they wanted to trade Horford, Hauser or Pritchard, they would need to trade just about everyone else on the roster to reach the salary required to match Olynyk’s $12.2 million contract. Not even the five-player combination of Oshae Brissett, Svi Mykhailiuk, Lamar Stevens, Kornet and Dalano Banton would give the Celtics enough salary to acquire Olynyk. The challenges of a six-for-one trade, which would force Utah to waive several players or re-route them elsewhere, mean Olynyk would be extremely unlikely for the Celtics to obtain without trading a rotation piece. Even if Boston wanted to deal Pritchard in such a move, his contract extension, which will kick in next season, would complicate any deal as a poison pill for salary-matching purposes.

The Celtics could more realistically build an offer for someone near the salary level of San Antonio’s Cedi Osman ($6.7 million) or Houston’s Jae’Sean Tate ($6.5 million), but any contract much bigger than that would present serious salary-matching issues. Boston could still decide to trade one of its rotation players for the right acquisition but would need to consider the future as well as the present in any deal. The team’s payroll is set to grow out of control in the coming years even if Stevens holds onto the current core. And the new collective bargaining agreement will punish the most expensive teams.

The Celtics could have a window to strike now, before the worst of their coming tax avalanche. But the circumstances suggest not to expect many fireworks from Stevens.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:42 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-celtics-strongly-expected-move-000815502.html

Report: Celtics ‘strongly expected' to make a move ahead of deadline

Jordan Daly
Mon, January 8, 2024 at 9:51 PM GMT-3·3 min read

The Boston Celtics are strongly expected to make a move ahead of the Feb. 8 trade deadline, multiple league sources told Brian Robb of MassLive.

The reported news of Boston's willingness to be active in the trade market came after Sunday's decision to guarantee four Celtics' contracts -- Luke Kornet, Dalano Banton, Lamar Stevens, and Svi Mykhailiuk.

While Kornet's guarantee will come as no surprise as he's played meaningful rotation minutes this season, the Celtics primarily use Banton, Stevens, and Mykhailiuk if the team is shorthanded or on the right side of a blowout. Kornet, who has been used situationally this season by Boston coach Joe Mazzulla, is averaging 14.2 minutes per game, logging 5.1 points and 3.7 rebounds.

Retaining the four non-guaranteed contracts puts the Celtics deeper into the luxury tax bill, showing fans that they aren't afraid to spend money to win.

A source also told Robb that the C's willingness to guarantee the four contracts is not a guarantee that those four players will stay in Boston this season. The four contracts give the Celtics flexibility in negotiations and salary matching, allowing Boston to package multiple league minimum contract players with another rostered player for a more expensive player, thanks to the $6.2 million trade exception left from Grant Williams' sign and trade to the Dallas Mavericks.

Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens spoke on possible trade rumors last week, indicating he'd like to bring in a "big wing" to help push them forward.

“There’s not a lot we can do big without touching our main guys,” Stevens clarified of any potential trades, hinting that the core is untouchable. “I don’t know if it will be a game-changer.”

Currently at the top of the league's standings with a 28-7 record, the Celtics won't be looking to rush into any moves. The roster they have works as-is, so there is no need to force a trade just for the sake of making one. NBA insiders Zach Lowe and Tim Bontemps of ESPN mentioned wings John Konchar of the Memphis Grizzlies and Cedi Osman of the San Antonio Spurs as realistic trade targets that fit within or come very close to Williams' TPE.

Konchar is in the middle of his fifth season, averaging 4.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 1.3 assists in 17.1 minutes per game in his career. The 6-foot-5 wing may not get any minutes in Memphis, but his ability to stay ready and consistent across his sporadic minutes is something that could be appealing to Boston. The Celtics' main rotation is likely locked down, so any new players would be used situationally. Konchar would give Boston a big wing who can hit 3-pointers at a respectable 36.7 percent on his career.

Now in his seventh season, Osman is a bit more experienced compared to Konchar. The 28-year-old spent the first six years of his career with the Cleveland Cavaliers, playing under LeBron James in his rookie season. With the Spurs towards the bottom of the table with a 5-30 record, San Antonio may part ways with Osman, who has averaged 9.6 points, 3 rebounds, and 2.6 assists per game, converting on 42.9 percent of his shots from the field and 32.4 percent from deep.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Don't like Cedi Osman, never have.  He's a finesse player that doesn't play physical defense.  I don't get the "John Konchar's of interest" thing either.  I would give up Svi for either of them, that's about it.  Not Lamar, not Dalano, certainly not Luke. It would be great if we could pick up a PJ Brown type of player, a veteran who can do what we need him to do and doesn't think beyond that. Queta fills a role but he's so raw and young. I'd love a Champion, even an old one, wanting one more chance for another ring, over a young'un.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:37 pm

I guess Brad could try to consolidate a bit but I think it could impact our depth issues.

Svi by the way is a bust.  He's no knock down shooter.  Anyone who took the time to look at his numbers over the past 2 years could have easily come to that same conclusion.

Brissett is a big wing off the bench but his shooting is beyond erratic from deep.  And we know that Stevens is also a suspect shooter.  Basically, Hauser is it for quality shooting wing depth.

If I was looking to add a quality wing it would be Saddiq Bey.  He will be a RFA next summer.  He makes around $4.6 million this year so our TPE could cover that.  It would probably take at least a first rounder to get him.  Why would the Hawks be willing to move him?  The eye popping play of Jalen Johnson, the 22 year old SF out of Duke.

So interesting that the 2020 NBA draft class included several players that Danny could have drafted (Bey at 19, Maxey at 21 and even Immanuel Quickly at 25.  At 14 danny drafted Nesmith.  That was no a bad choice however Danny managed to clutter the team up with too many players that needed development.  The previous year he drafted Langford, Grant Williams, Carson Edwards and Waters.  Then he adds PP and Nesmith.  

I mention this only to point out that moving a pick or two to add a player is the right way to go.  It makes no sense to carry a bunch of undeveloped players on your roster because you cannot reasonably develop them.

What this comes down to is being all in or not.   The Celtics could use more than just a tweak to this roster.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:02 pm

Bob,

There's no salary info for Osman and Konchar, so the author didn't even provide a simple to find salary number for us to consider.

Jordan Daly, do better!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:05 pm

I was surprised that Svi got his contract guaranteed. All this indicates to me is Stevens is looking to package some of these guys for someone he wants. Bey was almost a Celtic, didn't Detroit take him before Danny had a shot at him? Svi plays NO defense at all, I just am not impressed at all with his game. I do not think he will be here in February
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:33 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

There's no salary info for Osman and Konchar, so the author didn't even provide a simple to find salary number for us to consider.

Jordan Daly, do better!

gyso,

John Konchar - $2.4M. Last year of his contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/john-konchar-32170/

Cedi Osman - $6.7M. UFA next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cedi-osman-17859/

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:Bob,

Jordan Daly, do better!

gyso,

John Konchar - $2.4M.  Last year of his contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/john-konchar-32170/

Cedi Osman - $6.7M.  UFA next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cedi-osman-17859/

Bob

Bob,

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to go find the salaries, Jordan Daly should have done it.

Neither of these two fills the need, which is (for many of us) a big to insert ahead of or behind Luke in the rotation. It may be Queta, but I wish Brad would aim a little higher.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:30 pm

Another big makes sense, and Brad has said he wants to add a big wing.

The team is looking like one of the top few true contenders this year and already headed a fair way into the luxury tax as well. The time would seem right to say we've got the starting five and are already spending big. Time to go all in and fill the holes needed to build a strong playoff rotation.

It doesn't seem Brad wants to move any of the first 6 or 7 in the current rotation, so the hunt will be a little tougher. Some draft picks, some players just signed to guaranteed contracts, the remaining TPE, whatever it takes. This is no time to waste a title shot. They don't come around often enough to fail to consider all options available right now.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:51 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/02/celtics-showing-trade-interest-in-multiple-jazz-players-before-deadline.html

Celtics showing trade interest in multiple Jazz players before deadline

Published: Feb. 07, 2024, 7:58 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics appear intent on upgrading their bench ahead of the NBA trade deadline on Thursday and may be turning to a familiar face to help them get a deal done. Multiple sources tell MassLive that the Celtics have registered trade interest in three players with the Utah Jazz ahead of the deadline as they weigh upgrade options for the team’s bench. Former Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has served as Utah’s CEO of basketball operations for the past two seasons.

Boston is looking at filling a variety of needs at the trade deadline this week and that is evident in the names that have been discussed with Utah. Finding an additional big man as well as more wing depth remains a priority for Boston per sources, leaving the door open to the possibility that Brad Stevens makes multiple moves ahead of the trade deadline on Thursday at 3 p.m. ET.

The Celtics have inquired about the availability of Kelly Olynyk as multiple reports have indicated in recent weeks. However, a deal for the former Boston big man would be challenging from the Celtics’ perspective given his salary ($12 million) and the number of suitors he has around the league per a source. Boston would need to include at least four bench players to make the salary matching work and that’s a lot of moving pieces that Utah ultimately may struggle to find room for. The Jazz would need to create roster room for said players in a deal, at least initially, via waiving or trading other players.

A simpler potential move for the Celtics would be adding less costly players that fit into the Grant Williams TPE ($6.2 million) or a minimum trade exception. The Jazz have two players that could fit the bill on that front as the team has kicked the tires on 6-foot-7 Italian forward Simone Fontecchio and former lottery pick Kris Dunn per league sources. The 28-year-old Fontecchio is shooting $39.1 percent from 3-point range this year primarily as a starter and only makes just over $3 million. He would be a restricted free agent at the end of this season, given Boston a degree of control over his future if he were acquired.

Tony Jones of the Athletic is reporting that the Suns are also a suitor for the small forward. Boston should have a leg up on the asset-depleted Suns, who have already emptied much of their draft capital in deals for Kevin Durant and Bradley Beal during the past year. A package of several second-round picks from Boston could be enough to win the bidding for Fontecchio, if Ainge and the Jazz elect to move him.

Dunn would be another option as a cheap, more defensive-minded wing for Boston. He’s enjoyed a nice career resurgence over the past two years in Utah, averaging 5.2 points and 4.3 assists this year while shooting 40.9 percent from 3-point range. He’s on an expiring contract for the veteran’s minimum.

The Jazz have some incentive to do some selling this week of their veterans beyond just collecting some future assets. The team owes a top-10 protected first round pick to Oklahoma City for this season. The Jazz currently sit at the No. 10 spot in the Western Conference standings with a 26-26 record but are only two games away from falling into the NBA’s bottom 10 in a competitive West playoff race.

The Celtics have three available future first-round picks to deal (2024, 2026, 2031) and up to eight future second round picks that are movable before Thursday’s trade deadline. The team appears intent on upgrading some insurance options on their bench in the event of an injury during the regular season and playoffs. Boston currently also has one open roster spot.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Unless we trade Dalano Banton I don't see the need for Kris Dunn.  The wing might be nice.

Here's another Jazz-related trade proposal (NOT mine).

Celtics Related Trade Rumors - Page 11 GFvZ6DIWMAAncvI?format=jpg

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:00 pm

Since when is Kris Dunn, (a 6' 3" PG), a Wing?  He has about as much wing in him as a fried chicken breast sandwich from Popeyes.

We have seen brad actually add a quality piece in a trade (D White)  

That was a good trade however it really hurt our depth.

We need another wing to protect us from injury or even the possibility that one of our wings gets in early foul trouble. Brad should avoid swapping our end of the bench guys for another teams. Just get us one more viable player and forget about all the clutter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next