sinus007
RosalieTCeltics
Matty
beat
pete
31 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Perk Trade Actuality! - Page 10 Empty Re: Perk Trade Actuality!

Post by Sam Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Bob,

I mentioned going small when Bynum was specifically NOT in there.

As for Odom and Green, Basketball reference lists Odom at 6' 10, 220 pounds and Green at 6' 9", 235 pounds. (I don't want to get involved in whether those measurements were with or without sneakers or how thick each player's orthotics might be. At least they both came from the same source.) I'll take that matchup over any we've been able to put on the floor versus my most feared Lakers player.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens with the remaining roster slots. Who knows, what with the apparent tendency of some teams to pull back on buying out players. I know one thing. If Gadzuric and Murphy were to come on the market, and I were Danny, they'd be able to hear my immediate offer without the benefit of telephone.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Please; no-one be offended by my words to follow. It's aimed at no-one and everyone. This needs to be said...

I think it's time to end the histrionics; no more speculation and hand-wringing, the shock can fade now. We've seen some good well thought-out details on what all this might mean. Still, over-analysis leads to paralysis. It's why they play the games.

I still think that a lot of the angst is that a player is gone that was popular with everyone. Fact is it looks like he's also the player we could most afford to part with in order to improve the team. It sounds cold but the team is more important than any one player. None of us is there at practice, we're never right on the floor. We don't know what the team and its staff knows. If it made sense to keep Perkins, if he was our best bet at winning this year, he would still be on the team. It makes more sense for our team to have better depth at the 3/4 and a 5 who can spread the floor.

Look at the team for what it is and what it was. As we were we were getting pretty easy to shut down on offense and we had no answer to who would back up our most important wing in a league that builds success on the play of guards and wings. Perk was a favorite of mine but having him and Rondo on the floor at the same time was getting to be a real offense killer. One of the two really needed to go and Rondo is the distributor and one of the strongest defending points in the league.

The two teams Perk might have been most useful against would be Orlando and LA. At the time of the trade deadline, and that's the decision time, neither looks like they're going to be teams that present serious contention for us to get #18. Both teams are floundering. I'll say it again; it makes more sense for our team to have better depth at the 3/4 and a 5 who can spread the floor.

I feel good for Perkins that he's gone to a place he should thrive. I'll enjoy watching a few Thunder games because they're building a good core.

I feel better for us because the team has likely improved even if we don't make any "significant" additions.

Tonight a 10:30 (eastern) I'll be watching my favorite team. Won't you join me?

Perkins is gone. So is Walker, Bird, Hondo, Cowens, Tiny, Jo Jo, Chief, McHale, Russ and the Cooz. Because we've been such a great team for so much of league history there are many great players who used to be here. Some retire, some get traded, some leave in other ways.

The team goes on.

The team is strong.

The team is going after the title.

GO CELTICS!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Nice post, NYC. I wish we could attend practices.

Just one question. Were you trying to emphasize the team in your post? Only kidding. I thought it was a super thoughtful post.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Sam,

And now we're going out for dinner.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Great post NYC,

Looking forward to watching the team tonight.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:07 pm

NYC

I think on the board we have Hotspur's and Prince Hal's ...you are uber Hal. Some of us lead with our heart. Now that may be a shiddy way to go through life but there it is. With Perk we lose a starter from 08. This team went through basketball Dante. Our players effin DIED. We went from the giddy high of the Bird years to the very bottom of the heap. Perk was even a part of THAT mess.

Myself I never got off the bus. Not once not for a second did I stop being a Boston Celtics fan. I watched the team with a tv eye every game.

What does all this mean? Nothing except that this has been hard to deal with for me and some others here. We voiced our opinions to our board brothers and sisters (when Kelly g is around we got two!) I expect we will all be around pulling for the Celts til the bitter end or sweet victory no matter what. Was the offense getting stale yes. Did we lose last year because of 21 free throws and the FACT that we couldnt score yes.

But this aint last year and the Celtics have been consistently beating good teams all year and flat defending their home court. I just dont see why you disrupt that. Shaq and jo and everybody but Marquis were coming back and I think we could have beaten anybody. Instead here we head into the unknown.

I like Jeff Green. The euro dude I can live without. But I am excited to see what happens and my gut has calmed down considerable. However, I do feel like everyone has the right to express their opinion here if it's done in a way thats respectful to other posters and I dont feel like those of us who dont like the trade have crossed that line at all.

Best regards

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Jeb,

That's cool; everybody has their opinion and their right to it. Everybody has their right to express it in their own way and that's why we're all here to debate.

We all have our tipping point; mine was when as a kid, my Orioles traded Frank Robinson. It's also when I began to understand it's pointless to think I know more about a given player and why they're moved than the team itself, which is what I'm expressing. I also don't think we were going to win it this year with what we had which is why I agree with the trade.

You are right, however, to express and hold to your opinion as is everyone else here. After all, your thoughts are valid and your take on the situation might be correct.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:28 pm

NYC

Long live the celts and a good night to you sir...lets beat the clippers and make that draft choice big time lottery.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 pm

jeb wrote:
NYC

Long live the celts and a good night to you sir...lets beat the clippers and make that draft choice big time lottery.

Jeb

I'm with you my friend.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 am

I thought I'd weigh in on the Perk thingy after calming myself and watching the game this morning on DVR.

NY,
I agree with all points except the paralysis by analysis thing. I think that is what this forum is for isn't it? Celtic nuts like us freaking out at will makes this a fun place for me.
That the team has improved is the important thing. We are deeper without adding a thing. We now have a versatile, long, young player who can defend multiple positions and has to honored on the offensive side and a servicable 7ft player who also has offense and can shoot free throws.

Will Perkins be missed by me? Yes. But I won't miss all those bunnies he misses and poor free throw shooting and hands of stone off RR's passes.
He was an injury liability as well. Perk is out for three weeks. We would still need to sign a big to give us some depth if we hadn't traded him. You have to give to get and I say we scored big and still have space to pick up more depth. We lost Perk our big little brother, but we gained 2 players AND a draft pick. We are still the team to beat in the NBA.

Just saying,
Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Perkins wasn't a panacea vs Bynum and Howard et al, but he WAS our best defender against those guys. Yeah, he is gone and the team is now different, and IMO not as solid. The hole he left for our team to plug is very large indeed, and the better teams are certain to exploit it. Not the Clippers. Not the Nuggets. Not the Jazz or the Kings.
Just wait until we have to play Miami and LA and Orlando and Chicago. It is then that the wisdom of this trade can be decided. If we can still beat those guys regularly then I will admit that I was wrong about this. If our team cannot do that any more then I expect the same from those who think our team is still just as good or better.
Meanwhile I keep waiting for DA to announce his secret players to fill the roster of our team.................
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

me to, all I do is keep checking every web site on my computer hourly. It has to be soon, they have to be signed and on the roster by March 1 to be eligible for the playoffs. I keep thinking something is going to pop soon.

Sean Grande, the Celtics announcer on the radio, is going to be on the Celtics Blog tonight at 8:00 PM. Maybe he will have some insight.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Rosalie, I believe they have to be signed before March 1, but they don't have to be on the roster before March 1. I think they can be signed up to the beginning of the playoffs as long as they were bought out before March 1.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Hoopdeedoo wrote:I thought I'd weigh in on the Perk thingy after calming myself and watching the game this morning on DVR.

NY,
I agree with all points except the paralysis by analysis thing. I think that is what this forum is for isn't it? Celtic nuts like us freaking out at will makes this a fun place for me.
That the team has improved is the important thing. We are deeper without adding a thing. We now have a versatile, long, young player who can defend multiple positions and has to honored on the offensive side and a servicable 7ft player who also has offense and can shoot free throws.

Will Perkins be missed by me? Yes. But I won't miss all those bunnies he misses and poor free throw shooting and hands of stone off RR's passes.
He was an injury liability as well. Perk is out for three weeks. We would still need to sign a big to give us some depth if we hadn't traded him. You have to give to get and I say we scored big and still have space to pick up more depth. We lost Perk our big little brother, but we gained 2 players AND a draft pick. We are still the team to beat in the NBA.

Just saying,
Hoop

But Hoop...

"Over analysis leads to paralysis" is one of my better rhyming lines.

Yesterday was a banner day; I got to use that and "If you're not the lead dog the view never changes" on the same day!

OK, OK, I'll save the "over analysis" line for when I grow bored with business meetings and see what else I can come up with...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Ny,

I like that one too and use it often. But the lead dog view is one I haven't heard and plan on using, thank you very much.
Are you giving Jeb a run for his money on the quick sayings? No small feat. He is fun to read. I like your analysis too. I like the way you sell it. Some pretty good reads on this forum. Intimidates the heck out of lurkers like me.
Those cliches keep the uneducated like me interested.
Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 pm

NYCelt
Below is a quote from a earlier post of yours which I think is right on target.

" We all have our tipping point; mine was when as a kid, my Orioles traded Frank Robinson. It's also when I began to understand it's pointless to think I know more about a given player and why they're moved than the team itself, which is what I'm expressing "
I had a similiar experience in 1972 when the New York Yankees traded a promising 21 year old outfielder (Charlie Spikes) to Cleveland for Graig Nettles. I thought it was the end of the world. Boy was I wrong. Nettles became a star and Spikes a bust. From that point on I have fully understood that I do not have all the knowledge about the players involved that management has available . Sure its fun to speculate and voice an opinion but remember were doing so in most cases without all the facts.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:18 am

Quote from Tick-Tock: "To Berlin, the first beer is on me when I move there"

Would a piece of "Kuchen" and a "Glass Tee" be Okay? Embarassed
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:21 am

I think I'm going to slap a curfew on this board. (Bunch of nightowls!)

The only problem would be that then I'd have to obey the curfew too.

Never mind.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:28 am

Berlin-T wrote:Quote from Tick-Tock: "To Berlin, the first beer is on me when I move there"

Sure thing Berlin Very Happy. So let me rephrase my earlier statement, First piece of Kuchen and a Glass Tee is on me when I move there Smile.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 am

sam wrote:I think I'm going to slap a curfew on this board. (Bunch of nightowls!)

The only problem would be that then I'd have to obey the curfew too.

Never mind.

Sam

Hey Sam,

Had me worried there after the first line. As BobC said in another thread, the overnight shift is where the good stuff happens Smile
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 am

TickTock wrote:
Berlin-T wrote:Quote from Tick-Tock: "To Berlin, the first beer is on me when I move there"

Sure thing Berlin Very Happy. So let me rephrase my earlier statement, First piece of Kuchen and a Glass Tee is on me when I move there Smile.

gosh i want in on this..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Matty wrote:
TickTock wrote:

gosh i want in on this..

Hey Matty,

If you ever make it to Berlin the offer stands for you as well Smile.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Hey Tick, you're really getting into the swing of things on this board. This is your fifth day, and you already have 78 posts. Keep up the great work.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 pm

sam wrote:Hey Tick, you're really getting into the swing of things on this board. This is your fifth day, and you already have 78 posts. Keep up the great work.

Sam

sam,

Pretty good posts too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by TickTock Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks Sam and Bob, just trying to do my part.
TickTock
TickTock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next