willjr
Outside
arambone
Shamrock1000
wideclyde
14 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2016 Free Agency Tracker and Rumors - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Free Agency Tracker and Rumors

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Cole Aldrich to Minny.

Marc Stein: Cole Aldrich has landed a three-year, $22 million deal with the Timberwolves, league sources say – via Twitter ESPNSteinLine

Don't they have enough bigs? Jeez...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2016 Free Agency Tracker and Rumors - Page 4 Empty Re: 2016 Free Agency Tracker and Rumors

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:28 pm

The lunacy continues:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/sources--nets-to-sign-tyler-johnson-to--50m-offer-sheet-145854260.html

If one asks if Tyler Johnson is worth a $50 million four year deal that is constructed as "a staggering poison-pill contract that guarantees seasons of $18.8 million and $19.6 million in the final two years of the deal," the next question might be this one:

Who is Tyler Johnson???

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5376/

Unbelievable.  And it guarantees he's leaving Miami.

It also shows the Nets are out of their mind.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Utah trades Trey Burke, still only 23, to Washington and all they were able to get for him was a 2021 second round pick.  Jazz took Burke #9 in 2013.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/sources--wizards-acquire-trey-burke-from-jazz-160045495.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:09 pm

bobheckler wrote:outside,

What do you make of that signing?

And in the bigger context, do you think that takes GSW out of the Durant Sweepstakes?
Now I'm even more confused.

Mahinmi is a nice backup big, and while four-years and $64 million is bizarro world, I suppose getting a decent big at $16 million per year should make the Wiz happy, especially since this is a franchise that has JaVale McGee in its relatively recent past.

Now as to how the Wiz signing Mahinmi affects Golden State's efforts to get Durant... well, if I sign up to The Butterfly Effect Conspiracy Theory Newsletter, I suppose it DEFINITELY means something. But really, I'm just confused by the question.

This Durant thing is one of the few inscrutable things in a world full of things. It's been clear for quite a while that his most logical move is to sign a two-year with OKC with the second year a player option. That way, he can give OKC a chance for one more year, then opt out next summer and sign for the absurdly big money and make a joint should-I-stay-or-should-I-go decision with Westbrook. They were soclose to getting to the finals, it was the first year with a new coach, they have the only thing that killed the Warriors' death lineup (or had -- seeya Serge), and he seems quite comfortable in OKC and in his own skin.

But it's also apparent that OKC management is nervous. They did the Ibaka for Oladipo/Ilyasova/Sabonis deal, which was interpreted as a win for OKC, but also points out that OKC felt compelled to make a serious move to keep Durant. And even that apparently isn't enough, because they, and Durant, made a push to get Horford. I get a sense of inadequacy with those moves. Durant probably still signs with OKC regardless, but the front office sure seems nervous.

Otherwise, trying to figure out where things stand is an exercise in self-abuse by the sports media and fans alike. Against all sense, Chris Broussard reported that Durant was "blown away" by the Clippers' presentation, followed within 24 hours by the Clippers recognizing the reality of their non-chances to get Durant, signing Austin Rivers, and ruining what ridiculous cap games the Clippers could've pulled to sign Durant. They've self-deported from the Durant sweepstakes.

After the Clippers, Miami seems like the longest of long shots. They have cap issues, Wade would apparently have to sign for twenty bucks and a promise of a $50 million office job when he retires, Whiteside is not a proven emotionally stable commodity, whether Bosh plays again is up in the air, and the rest of the roster is like, whatever. But the media has a serious crush on Pat Riley and thinks everyone should fear his closing ability when locked in a room with Durant, especially as the last team on the meeting schedule. I think it's going to take more than Riley's Jedi mind tricks to sway Durant.

I'm obviously invested in Golden State's role in this dance. At first, I wasn't reassured when there was no positive report after their meeting with Durant, but there was actually no report, good or bad. After OKC making their moves with a patina of desperation, the Clippers showing that they were pretenders, and the Heat being the living manifestation of uncertainty, the Warriors have been the opposite of all that. They didn't leak anything about their meeting, and they've made absolutely zero moves while they wait for Durant to decide. They don't have to pitch that getting Durant means they can develop into a championship team; they've already got a championship in their pocket. Their Curry-Klay-Draymond core is young and entering their primes, just like Durant, who is a few months younger than Curry and a little older than Klay and Draymond. They play unselfish space-and-pace ball, which is far better suited for Durant than alternating iso-ball with Westbrook. I look at all these tea leaves, and the vibe I want to read is that the Warriors exude quiet confidence in their position. They are definitely all in on this, because they've put absolutely anything else they might do on hold until Durant decides.

I don't think San Antonio has nearly as strong of a case. Their strongest selling point is that they're the Spurs, Pop is their coach, and their front office keeps mining gold from castoffs and mediocre draft picks. But the LaMarcus Aldridge experiment ultimately looked like a bad fit with his isolation post-ups and long twos breaking the Spurs' beautiful game. The most realistic option to sign Durant from a cap standpoint is to trade Aldridge, who theoretically should be one of the drawing points. Get rid of Aldridge, and the Spurs have Kawhi and... who exactly? Ginobli is apparently up for another season, and Timmy may be too, hooray! Compared to what the other suitors have, I don't think they're a team on the rise.

As for Boston's case, they have a nice group of scrappy guys, they just added Horford, making it officially okay for free agents to sign, they have the hottest young coach, and maybe most important, they're in the East, which is a lot easier to get out of than the West. I know there's a lot of buzz around the Celtics bringing in Tom Brady and Papi texting, but I don't think that stuff really matters. Brady and Papi don't finish at the rim, shoot threes, or relieve the defensive pressure off Durant. Horford is a really good signing, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, he's a star, not a superstar, and other teams talking to Durant have superstars. Does Durant want to go with a team that still needs to develop into a championship squad? I'm not so sure about that. But they did get Horford, a guy Durant openly wanted, and being in the East -- that's something no other suitor can say, and it's a big plus. I put Boston as the only other team besides OKC and Golden State with an actual chance.

But the fact remains that we're all Jon Snows who know nothing. Supposedly the one thing we do know is that Durant will make a decision by tomorrow.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Outside wrote:
bobheckler wrote:outside,

What do you make of that signing?

And in the bigger context, do you think that takes GSW out of the Durant Sweepstakes?
Now I'm even more confused.

Mahinmi is a nice backup big, and while four-years and $64 million is bizarro world, I suppose getting a decent big at $16 million per year should make the Wiz happy, especially since this is a franchise that has JaVale McGee in its relatively recent past.

Now as to how the Wiz signing Mahinmi affects Golden State's efforts to get Durant... well, if I sign up to The Butterfly Effect Conspiracy Theory Newsletter, I suppose it DEFINITELY means something. But really, I'm just confused by the question.

This Durant thing is one of the few inscrutable things in a world full of things. It's been clear for quite a while that his most logical move is to sign a two-year with OKC with the second year a player option. That way, he can give OKC a chance for one more year, then opt out next summer and sign for the absurdly big money and make a joint should-I-stay-or-should-I-go decision with Westbrook. They were soclose to getting to the finals, it was the first year with a new coach, they have the only thing that killed the Warriors' death lineup (or had -- seeya Serge), and he seems quite comfortable in OKC and in his own skin.

But it's also apparent that OKC management is nervous. They did the Ibaka for Oladipo/Ilyasova/Sabonis deal, which was interpreted as a win for OKC, but also points out that OKC felt compelled to make a serious move to keep Durant. And even that apparently isn't enough, because they, and Durant, made a push to get Horford. I get a sense of inadequacy with those moves. Durant probably still signs with OKC regardless, but the front office sure seems nervous.

Otherwise, trying to figure out where things stand is an exercise in self-abuse by the sports media and fans alike. Against all sense, Chris Broussard reported that Durant was "blown away" by the Clippers' presentation, followed within 24 hours by the Clippers recognizing the reality of their non-chances to get Durant, signing Austin Rivers, and ruining what ridiculous cap games the Clippers could've pulled to sign Durant. They've self-deported from the Durant sweepstakes.

After the Clippers, Miami seems like the longest of long shots. They have cap issues, Wade would apparently have to sign for twenty bucks and a promise of a $50 million office job when he retires, Whiteside is not a proven emotionally stable commodity, whether Bosh plays again is up in the air, and the rest of the roster is like, whatever. But the media has a serious crush on Pat Riley and thinks everyone should fear his closing ability when locked in a room with Durant, especially as the last team on the meeting schedule. I think it's going to take more than Riley's Jedi mind tricks to sway Durant.

I'm obviously invested in Golden State's role in this dance. At first, I wasn't reassured when there was no positive report after their meeting with Durant, but there was actually no report, good or bad. After OKC making their moves with a patina of desperation, the Clippers showing that they were pretenders, and the Heat being the living manifestation of uncertainty, the Warriors have been the opposite of all that. They didn't leak anything about their meeting, and they've made absolutely zero moves while they wait for Durant to decide. They don't have to pitch that getting Durant means they can develop into a championship team; they've already got a championship in their pocket. Their Curry-Klay-Draymond core is young and entering their primes, just like Durant, who is a few months younger than Curry and a little older than Klay and Draymond. They play unselfish space-and-pace ball, which is far better suited for Durant than alternating iso-ball with Westbrook. I look at all these tea leaves, and the vibe I want to read is that the Warriors exude quiet confidence in their position. They are definitely all in on this, because they've put absolutely anything else they might do on hold until Durant decides.

I don't think San Antonio has nearly as strong of a case. Their strongest selling point is that they're the Spurs, Pop is their coach, and their front office keeps mining gold from castoffs and mediocre draft picks. But the LaMarcus Aldridge experiment ultimately looked like a bad fit with his isolation post-ups and long twos breaking the Spurs' beautiful game. The most realistic option to sign Durant from a cap standpoint is to trade Aldridge, who theoretically should be one of the drawing points. Get rid of Aldridge, and the Spurs have Kawhi and... who exactly? Ginobli is apparently up for another season, and Timmy may be too, hooray! Compared to what the other suitors have, I don't think they're a team on the rise.

As for Boston's case, they have a nice group of scrappy guys, they just added Horford, making it officially okay for free agents to sign, they have the hottest young coach, and maybe most important, they're in the East, which is a lot easier to get out of than the West. I know there's a lot of buzz around the Celtics bringing in Tom Brady and Papi texting, but I don't think that stuff really matters. Brady and Papi don't finish at the rim, shoot threes, or relieve the defensive pressure off Durant. Horford is a really good signing, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, he's a star, not a superstar, and other teams talking to Durant have superstars. Does Durant want to go with a team that still needs to develop into a championship squad? I'm not so sure about that. But they did get Horford, a guy Durant openly wanted, and being in the East -- that's something no other suitor can say, and it's a big plus. I put Boston as the only other team besides OKC and Golden State with an actual chance.

But the fact remains that we're all Jon Snows who know nothing. Supposedly the one thing we do know is that Durant will make a decision by tomorrow.

Outside,

You need to follow the thread in order to understand Bob's question. He wrote it thinking Mahinmi was going to the Warriors, not the Wizards.

Nice post, though. Very Happy

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:51 pm

gyso,

But Bob wrote the question after quoting my post clarifying that Mahinmi was going to the Wizards, not the Warriors. So I didn't think he still thought...

Oh, never mind. It's like an I Love Lucy episode of misunderstanding and confusion. Which sort of follows me around like dust around Pigpen in Peanuts. Which are references that date me to the Precambrian period.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Crawford staying with the Clippers for 3 years $42 million.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--jamal-crawford-staying-with-clippers-231238320.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:12 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-s-top-100-free-agents-204857680.html

A good quick glance at the list of who's signed and who's not.

You can remove the player at #86.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:18 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-kevin-durants-decision-comes-down-to-thunder-vs-warriors/

Last edited by willjr on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:20 pm

willjr wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-kevin-durants-decision-comes-down-to-thunder-vs-warriors/g

That link didn't work for me. I found it here:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-kevin-durants-decision-comes-down-to-thunder-vs-warriors/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Blazers preparing to offer 36 year old Pau Gasol $40 million for two years.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/7/3/12091218/nba-free-agency-news-pau-gasol-contract-trail-blazers

But it seems the Spurs are his first choice:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/7/3/12091228/looks-like-the-spurs-are-pau-gasols-first-choice

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:49 am

July 3 updates

11:06 p.m. ET: Deron Williams has come to an agreement with the Dallas Mavericks for a one-year, $10 million deal, sources tell ESPN's Marc Stein. Williams joined the Mavs last season after being waived by the Brooklyn Nets after the 2014-15 season. The five-time All-star averaged 14.1 points and 5.8 assists per game in his first season in Dallas.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:38 am

Free agency winners and losers (so far):

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-winners-and-losers-celtics-win-game-2-in-a-big-way-with-horford/

Not much love for the Lakers signing Mozgov and Deng.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 am

Day 2 of the 2016 NBA free agency period didn't bring the biggest contract in NBA history like Friday did, but there were still stunning moves, topped by Al Horford going to the Celtics on a four-year, $113 million deal.

Here's a look at the winners and losers from Saturday's free agency action.

Winner: Boston Celtics

The Celtics signed the best free agent they've landed in decades in Al Horford, and in doing so, may have put themselves in pole position for Kevin Durant. It changes the perception about the team as a free agent destination and dramatically improves them off the bat. He will take all the pick-and-pop situations the Celtics clanged last year and turn them into buckets. He's a better screener, passer and defender than anyone the Celtics have and raises their collective basketball IQ by leaps and bounds.

If they get Durant, this will be the move that unlocked it. If they don't, they still got the second-best available free agent on the market. (LeBron James is not available.) He's a terrific player who makes their team better and they'll still have assets to try and trade for another star later.

Big day for Boston.

Loser: Atlanta Hawks

Judging by the Internet's reaction, I have to spell this out.

It is not 2011.

If it were 2011, this was an understandable and good move for the Hawks. Dwight Howard would be an MVP candidate and as good as Al Horford is, Howard would be a dominant replacement upgrade. As it is not, the Hawks gave up one of the five best centers in the NBA so they could pay a 30-year-0ld center off back and knee surgeries $23 million. They also alienate Paul Millsap by attempting to trade him to keep Horford, and do keep Kent Bazemore on a huge but market-appropriate contract -- money that could have been Horford's.

Howard and Millsap make more sense together than Howard and Horford, but Millsap and Horford make more sense together than either. This team won 62 games and made the Eastern Conference finals two years ago and now have lost their starting point guard to trade and center to free agency.

The Hawks are not better than they were a month ago, because it is not 2011.

Winner: Kevin Durant

OK, for one, he got to hang out with Tom Brady, which is cool. Two, his choices are now: a) play with Russell Westbrook; b) play with Stephen Curry; or c) play with Al Horford and Isaiah Thomas. There are no bad options, and his risk if he chooses to go to Boston is significantly diminished.

Durant's options all over the board improved and he got to spend a day in the Hamptons hanging out and being praised and worshipped by the Spurs and Celtics. Life is good for KD right now.

Loser: Los Angeles Lakers

That's right. Two nights in a row, the Lakers take the top slot for losing. Luol Deng is a very good player and had a resurgence in Miami, turning into a stretch-four late in his career. He will be good for the Lakers and help them with veteran experience. But he's also 31 with a ton of miles on him and still shot just 34 percent from 3-point range in a strong year last season.

He doesn't fit their timeline of the youngsters and will take minutes from either Brandon Ingram or Julius Randle. And the deal was four years for $72 million -- just two years removed from people wondering whether Deng was on his way out of the NBA.

Now, I credited the Knicks for the Noah deal so I have to balance this to a degree, but the Knicks aren't trying to build around a young core. It just doesn't make sense to make that kind of investment when it only complicates your situation.

The bigger problem is that the Lakers seem to not know which direction they're going. Again.

Winner: Orlando Magic

The Magic finally had a good day, as landing Bismack Biyombo for four years and $72 million comes with sticker shock but was also market value. Pairing Biyombo with with Serge Ibaka means that Orlando is likely to have a top-five defense next year. They cleared cap space and presumably their big target was not Biyombo, but between Ibaka and Biz, they have created a fearsome interior duo.

They can figure out Aaron Gordon and Nikola Vucevic's role in all this later. That's still a dominant rim protection duo that will have guards petrified.

Loser: Dallas Mavericks

As if losing out on Hassan Whiteside and Mike Conley on Friday wasn't enough, on Saturday the Mavs made the only big free agent move they could, reportedly confirming with Harrison Barnes that they'll offer him a max contract.

Not only is this giving an estimated $94 million offer sheet to a player who has not shown anything close to the ability to carry a team or produce at the level they would need him to, but the Warriors are almost certain to match the offer. So the Mavericks' best move is to spend three days hoping something happens that forces the Warriors to not match their desperation offer sheet for a player who likely will not wind up being value on that contract anyway.

The talk of possibly letting Dirk Nowitzki pursue greener pastures has never been louder.

Winner: Sacramento Kings

Is it possible, just maybe, that the era of stupid is over in Sactown?

The Kings inked just two deals Saturday. They paid $25 million to Arron Afflalo over two years, getting the kind of veteran two-guard they've wanted for some time. Afflalo hasn't been good defensively in over three seasons but is a big, athletic two-guard who can score in a multitude of ways efficiently. For a short-term deal under $15 million per year? That's really good value.

Then they added Anthony Tolliver, a total vet who can hit from range and did so on a two year deal at around $8 million per season.

The Kings didn't overextend themselves or give up assets for pipe dreams of a big-name signing. They just found smart opportunities to add quality players, in a very un-Kings-like way.

Loser: Los Angeles Clippers

Got bumped out of the Kevin Durant chase, and the way everyone knew was that they started dishing out contracts for Austin Rivers and Jamal Crawford. It was like realizing the person you really wanted to go to that wedding with was not going to go with you so you had to take your cousin.

Winner: Brooklyn Nets

Like the Kings, the perennial over-spenders in Brooklyn kept their wallets in check showing the kind of fiscal discipline that has been absent for a half-decade there. No big bold contract for the Nets, instead they just get Trevor Booker on a reasonable deal. Brooklyn's starting to undo the damage from so many short-sighted ideas.

Loser: Washington Wizards

The Ian Mahinmi deal (four years, $64 million) is good value for a good player, but not the kind of guy they needed. They're either overpaying for a backup or squandering an asset in Marcin Gortat who they may look to trade. Good player on a good contract, but Mahinmi doesn't make much of an impact considering how many needs they have in reserves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:09 am

Marc Stein: The Thunder got last word like they wanted … and the Celtics still believe that they’re in this. Yup: Fireworks all day today …

21 mins ago – via Twitter ESPNSteinLine
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:49 am

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/7/5/12102658/dwyane-wade-nuggets-heat-offer-rumors-free-agency-nba-2016

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Nene to the Rockets:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nene-agrees-to-rockets-deal-181337772.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski – Verified account ‏@WojVerticalNBA

Sources: Two players Bulls are calling everyone with space on: Jose Calderon and Mike Dunleavy. Those contracts get them toward Wade space.
4:17 PM - 6 Jul 2016

Ira Winderman –  ‏@IraHeatBeat

Source tells Sun Sentinel: Heat apparently might not be able to move McRoberts to clear Wade space unless a pick or Winslow(!) included.
3:47 PM - 6 Jul 2016
276 RETWEETS131 LIKES

bob
MY NOTE:  Dunleavy is soft on D, but he can shoot and we need another shooter.  And we all know how much he wants Winslow.  The question is "has that desire been slaked with the drafting of Brown?"

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Any chance Hawks would part with Korver? I know they were shopping him before the draft. He was one they were trying to get rid of to resign Horford (along with Milsap)

Please, please do not tell me that Danny has interest in Westbrook. There is just something about that guy I do not trust. I know, I know, he is a great player, but he rubs me the wrong way. This is all those idiots were talking about on Comcast.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Chicago finalizing a deal that sends Dunleavy to Cleveland to clear space for Wade.

And the arms race continues.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:46 am

Barbosa to the Suns:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--leandro-barbosa--suns-reach-deal-040759620.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 pm

steve3344 wrote:Barbosa to the Suns:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--leandro-barbosa--suns-reach-deal-040759620.html

Welcoming the prodigal son home.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Spurs about to lose Boban to Pistons, three years $21 million:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--spurs-reach-agreement-with-center-152602984.html

He was a very effective player for them last year. But them, almost everyone is who plays in Pop's system.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Festus Ezeli to Portland. 2 years, $16 million. Too bad; thought he'd be nice fit here. Need a big, physical, defensive center like him.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Nets signed Allen Crabbe to a 4/$75m offer sheet.
I wonder if Portland will match.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next