Random thoughts from around the league (An Onging Thread)

+18
MDCelticsFan
RosalieTCeltics
tjmakz
Cooz
bobheckler
jeb
cowens/oldschool
rickdavisakaspike
gyso
NYCelt
beat
dbrown4
Outside
Sam
dboss
sinus007
bobc33
steve3344
22 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Random thoughts from around the league (An Onging Thread) - Page 3 Empty Re: Random thoughts from around the league (An Onging Thread)

Post by jeb Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:50 am

kobe got two t's my bad...didnt have sound.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Random thoughts from around the league (An Onging Thread) - Page 3 Empty Re: Random thoughts from around the league (An Onging Thread)

Post by jeb Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 am

steve33

I watched it, Lakers had NO GANAS just walked through like they didnt care, it was exactly like us last year. Lakes would play decent d only to lapse last second deeeepp in the shot clock and have someone nail a 3. Bynum is largely ineffective and Gasol got outworked and pushed out of position by lesser players all night. The Lakers looked like they were movin through molasses and their body language was awful.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:10 am

this is weird! what do yall think is goin on? Chemistry? Bynum deal hurtin em? assimilating new faces or kobes mileage?

Something is up with Gasol...he is soldiering on but dont look happy
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 am

How many would have predicted that on the first day of Winter with roughly 40% of the season done, that Miami, the Lakers and Orlando would all have at least twice as many losses as the Celts?

Quite a surprising season so far.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 am

jeb wrote:steve33

I watched it, Lakers had NO GANAS just walked through like they didnt care, it was exactly like us last year. Lakes would play decent d only to lapse last second deeeepp in the shot clock and have someone nail a 3. Bynum is largely ineffective and Gasol got outworked and pushed out of position by lesser players all night. The Lakers looked like they were movin through molasses and their body language was awful.

I'm watching now on Season's Pass replay. Fun stuff.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 am

I saw part of the game. Being Celtic fans, I understand your glee at seeing such a poor performance on their part, but I wouldn't read too much into it. They just didn't bring the same intensity as the Bucks, and the Bucks got on a roll and made them pay.

Here are some of their losses last year:

26 to the Nuggets
20 to the Spurs
19 to the Spurs again
17 to Atlanta
16 to the Clippers (the Clippers!)

Every one of those losses was by more points than the Christmas Day debacle when they lost to the Cavs by 15. Yet all those bad losses didn't mean they were falling apart or had no chance come playoff time.

Like I said, I understand that you're enjoying it, but I wouldn't read too much into it.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:39 am

I haven't kept careful track of it, but haven't the Bucks had a number of surprising wins this season? And this would seem to be another case in which the undermanned team is the one with more desperation, adrenalin, and "circle the wagons" mentality.

One thing I've learned, however, is not to get too far down when the Celtics are having a tough time and not to crow a lot when key opponents are having a tough time. If Perk returned to the Celtics' fold and they had some off games, I'm pretty certain I'd be reminding everyone that discontinuity and chemistry problems can occur when a player reenters the lineup as well as when a player leaves the lineup.

We've seen what a player meeting apparently did for the Heat. When any team with a lot of talent, especially when many veterans are concerned, is out of kilter (now there's a word from the past), it's very often like a car. They just need a tuneup of some kind.

The less-than-stellar run of the Lakers is obviously news, and it's absolutely natural for Celtics fans to become titillated by it. But we should never lose sight of the fact that situations change quickly in the NBA, and our main focus should be on how much the home team wins rather than on how much competitors lose.

Even in the halcyon days of Russell, it was always a good practice never to get too high and never to get too low.

Go Celtics!

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:04 am

I hear you sages and wise men but I am a student of body language and the Lakes are having trouble with their colllective and individual confidence and have little to no trust in each other right now imho.

Of course they will be back but last night disjointed loss to a team missing 3 key players does not exist in a vaccum and I will be really interested to see how they begin to fare against some of the real tough teams in the nba.

cheers

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:42 am

Is Evan Turner, Philly's #2 pick a bust?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/112233974.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:12 am

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/phil-jackson-in-no-position-to-complain-about-working-on-christmas-day.html

Poor Phil
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 am

jeb wrote:http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/phil-jackson-in-no-position-to-complain-about-working-on-christmas-day.html

Poor Phil

And if anyone wonders why I hold the Lakers in such small regard.............

What a toad. He should be FINED a million and have that go to some charity.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:18 am

I think and hope Phil was including everyone listed, not just himself and his player's Sarengeti-like bloated salaries. But I like this guy's angle. Seems pretty bitter about 'ol Phil.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 pm

jeb wrote:http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/phil-jackson-in-no-position-to-complain-about-working-on-christmas-day.html

Poor Phil

Jeb,

Here are a couple of the comments I found on that link:

FireGuyFrank said...

Phil Jackson seems to forget that the NBA only schedules teams and games worth watching on Christmas Day. When you join the NBA in any capacity, you need to hope you're playing or involved on the biggest day in the NBA.
Clue in, Phil

#33 said in reply to Barbara...

If he doesn't like his job and the hours it requres ... QUIT!! It's America ... no one is forcing him to do anything. Forfeit the $10 mil and go home.

CT said...

Good article. The problem is that Phil has it so good, he really has nothing to complain about. He's a great coach with arguably the most talented roster, huge salary, Jeannie Buss, great weather, etc. So playing on Christmas is pretty much the only thing he can gripe about. Some people need something to complain about to keep themselves going but he really doesn't have anything.

g j said...

And this from the mind and mouth of a non-believer in Christ. Its as ironic as if this white guy would were to complain about working on Kwanza.

Here's my take:

My Nephew. I drove down to Augusta with my wife to meet my nephew today. You see, we won't get to see him on Christmas because he will be working at a hospital in southern Maine. He works in the Radiology Department and since he only recently graduated, he is low man on the list and has to work all the holidays and weekends and any other time that the ones with seniority don't want to work.

My future son-in-law. He's a fireman in NC. He is on duty on Christmas (24 hour shift) and my daughter will be spending Christmas alone.

My son-in-law. He's in Iraq serving his country. My other daughter, who lives at his home base, will be spending Christmas alone.

These three men will work their entire lives and (probably) not make as much as Phil does in a year. Two out of the three are actually putting their lives on the line as part of their job description.

Phil, on the other hand, has to sit in a chair for three hours, bark out orders to men wearing shorts and complain to the refs. After the game, he gets to eat at the post-game buffet, travel first class, stay in the best rooms in the best hotels and NEVER has to touch a single piece of his luggage or go through security to get on his plane. Wah-Wah!!

Here's George's take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5Lc3VjJ74

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:55 pm

its like schoolrooms in the summer.

No class.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:57 pm

@gyso

way to put a jive talking guys jive in perspective.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:58 am

Shocking story. O.J. Mayo's father charged with attempted murder of a police officer:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkISibPnBqmj29fqXbFKhM28vLYF?slug=ap-mayosfathercharged

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooz Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Hmmmm.....I seem to be the only one who has zero problem with his Christmas statement.$$$$ and a priviliged life doesn't alter one's religious beliefs or concern for the children of players and staff.
Whether it's a WalMart employee or an NBA player--doesn't matter to me.I like the fact that he spoke how he felt---that's a good thing.
In re-reading his comments----I'm in fact agreeing with all of it.

Cooz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm

The Lakers body language is TERRIBLE ...Gasol looks broken and is moving without purpose or force. They are all slump shouldered and have a bad look about them. How weird. They better get it together man it dont pay to go down under your enemies boots and the sharks are circling.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 pm

god as my witness Kobe is starting to remind me of Sheed with his shot selection.

No ball movement, NO D ...what the hell is goin on? The Spurs are putn hobnailed boots on em.

This is weird.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Blake and Barnes are gym rats and gamers but are not very good athletes. Unless Bynum can get 100% it dont look good.

Kobe 8-27

Kobe is not admitting his new limitations with his play, which is strange cause when he trends unselfish and makes extra passes and the team moves the ball they are deadly. What i see is a lack of trust and a lot of shock on a lot of faces.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:57 am

Duncan has one of the worst games of his life - 1 for 7 shooting, 2 points, 4 rebounds - and the Spurs STILL blow out the Lakers by 15. Wow. Don't know if that speaks volumes about how skillfully the Spurs have revamped their game in light of Duncan's inevitable decline or about how atrocious the Lakers have been playing of late. Maybe a combination of both. Kobe takes 16 more shots than anyone else on the team and shoots LA out of the game, at one point missing 13 straight shots and ended the game making 4 of his last 22. Takes a chicken-wing swing at George Hill (and misses) out of frustration, earning him his fourth T in the past three games and has a hissy fit in the post-game interviews saying how "pissed" he is. Artest continues his startling lack of all-around production with another 0 assist game (his third 0 in that category in his last four games and averaging 1.5 per game his last 17) and 1 rebound (he's averaging 2 rebounds a game for his last 10) while 6'8" Spurs center DeJuan Blair grabs 15. Lakers shoot 35% for the game. Next up, a tough road game in New Orleans. Should be an interesting watch.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:30 pm

6'8" and 200 pounds - and only 13 years old.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/112540394.html?cmpid=15585797

Article says in 4 years his nickname could be "Lebron Who?"

We'll see. But at least the kid won't have to pay for sneakers for quite a few years...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:59 pm

steve3344 wrote:6'8" and 200 pounds - and only 13 years old.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/112540394.html?cmpid=15585797

Article says in 4 years his nickname could be "Lebron Who?"

We'll see. But at least the kid won't have to pay for sneakers for quite a few years...
The article describes a lot of what is wrong with high school sports these days -- open recruitment by private schools and AAU teams, money (openly in the form of jobs and moving expenses, who knows what else not so openly), AAU teams taking precedence over school teams, a mercenary system filled with people wanting a piece of the kid and promoting dreams of scholarships and pro ball. Is it any wonder that those who make it to the NBA arrive with a sense of entitlement and seem clueless? It starts in middle school with stuff like this. A few with good parents and coaches come out of it okay, but most don't. The bigger crime is that most of these kids don't make it to the elite college level or pros and are discarded like used Kleenex. It's a shame.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:44 am

Tony Allen and O.J. Mayo fight on Grizzlies charter flight:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-allengrizzlies010411

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:59 am

steve3344 wrote:

Tony Allen and O.J. Mayo fight on Grizzlies charter flight:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-allengrizzlies010411

One way to get the starting nod is to get into a fight with the guy ahead of you on the roster. Oh, yeah, make sure it is (mostly) his fault for the fight so that he sits instead of you.

Boo-Ray? Perhaps thay should change to Skip-Bo!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next