SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

+11
LACELTFAN
swedeinestonia
celtic fan
RosalieTCeltics
bobc33
steve3344
Outside
beat
NYCelt
MustangGator
Sam
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) Empty SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by Sam Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:08 am

This is the thread on which to post about sports (including college basketball) other than pro basketball.

Last edited by sam on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) Empty Re: SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by MustangGator Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:49 pm

OK, I will bite. How about them San Diego ST. Aztecs. I do not know how many on the board follow college basketball. I follow it sometimes just as much if not more than Pro hoops. One reason for this is because the NBA season is such a Marathon and so many teams make the playoffs anyway. You can have a .500 record and still make the playoffs.

However, in college hoops, every game means so much towards winning your respective conference, making the NCAA Tourney, and seedings in the Tournament.

I grew up as a UCLA Fan. Must be that LA comnnection with me. Look at it this way. The Bruins are the College version of the Russel Celtics. The UCLA Bruins have been struggling the last couple years. I still pull for them.

I have a second favorite team that is the San Diego ST. Aztecs. I became an Aztecs fan because I have lived in San Diego since 1985 and started pulling for the local team. They really sucked back in the 80's and most of the 90's. They even had trouble packing an arean called Peterson Gym back then. I think it only seated about 4,000 at the most. The Aztecs have absolutely no history and have never won an NCAA Tournament Game. Never in 89 years of playing hoops. Until this year, they had never been ranked in any of the top 25 polls. Last year in the tourney they almost beat Tennesee in the first round, but lost.

This year they started the season ranked #25 in the country. They have steadily climbed the polls to where they now sit at #7 in the country. Now theu play in an arena that seats more than 10,000. You cannot even get a ticket to their games now. I have tried.

The Aztecs are a senior laiden team, however, there best player is Kawhi Leonard, a sophmore. He is a legitament NBA prospect and may leave after this year. If that happens, this could be the "one and done" chance for the Aztecs to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

Anyone else have a college following?

Go UCLA and Aztecs!

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) Empty Re: SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by Sam Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Unfortunately, my undergrad and first graduate experience was at Boston University, which later dropped its football program a few years after producing a great quarterback named Harry Agganis, who was drafted by the Browns but played first base instead for the Red Sox and was hitting .306 as a rookie when he died of pneumonia.

But I later had two undergrad experiences at Boston College, so that come as close to any school as qualifying for me. Flutie was for them what Agganis had been for B.U. B.C. seems to get a bowl bid in most years but never cracks the ranks of the elite teams.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

With the Chicago Bears currently beating up on the Seahawks and the Patriots yet to play the Jets I'm ready to make my annual Super Bowl Champion prediction.

Green Bay will win it in a tight one over the Steelers this year.

I have now given the curse to The Pack and secondarily to Pittsburgh. I'm usually about that accurate.

The likely majority of Pats fans here can now rejoice.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:32 pm

If the Patriots are fortunate enough to win it all, it will be one of the most remarkable football stories in years. And great testimonial to taking care of the ball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:01 pm

NYCelt wrote:With the Chicago Bears currently beating up on the Seahawks and the Patriots yet to play the Jets I'm ready to make my annual Super Bowl Champion prediction.

Green Bay will win it in a tight one over the Steelers this year.

I have now given the curse to The Pack and secondarily to Pittsburgh. I'm usually about that accurate.

The likely majority of Pats fans here can now rejoice.

Oops; sorry Pats fans!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Missed it by that much! Hey, the Jets deserved to win. They had a great game plan and executed it well. I hate to see the Rex Ryan bombast succeed, but it did succeed. Give him credit.

If one can get past the disheartening aspects, it was a pretty good game to watch. Especially the two onside kicks in the last few minutes that had a good-to-excellent chance of working.

Now, if the Patriots had just had Perk in there.......

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 pm

A teacher tells her class she's a Steelers fan. The class agrees with her except for one little girl. When asked who she likes the girl replied "the Packers", the teacher asked why & the girl said "because my mommy & daddy are fans". The teacher replies "that's no reason to like them, what if your dad was an idiot & your mom was a moron, then what would you be?" The little girl replies "a steelers fan"

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

America's greatest sporting event is Sunday; any picks?

I'll go with Green Bay in a fairly low scoring game.

Two tough defenses will tire by the second half. Offensive line play and protecting the QB in what could become a game of short passing could be the key. It comes down to the most efficient offense and a versatile, mobile QB with the hottest hand; Aaron Rodgers.

Edge to the Pack in what should be a good one.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:22 pm

I'll pick Green Bay also, but in a moderately high scoring game (winner in high 20's, low 30's).

NYCelt, I agree about the O-lines. I think Pittsburgh will be affected significantly with their starting center out, not because of bad snaps but because of pass protection. I think the Packers will benefit greatly by being indoors.

As always, I just hope for a good game. After a streak of awful Super Bowls, we've had some good ones in recent years. Sorry to bring up the Pats' loss to the NY, but that was a really good game and fun to watch. Last year with the Saints and Colts was also.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Outside,

Based on my record of picks I just hope I haven't cursed them!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38 pm

And the Packers do it...

showing that a team loaded with injuries to starters and backups alike can still bring home the hardware.

Any other team in green take note of this?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

Proof that people will bet on anything:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Alvwny4rj57U0dv6OYPqwB05nYcB?slug=ys-cnbcchristinaanthembets020711

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm

My niece plays for the Salve Regina women's basketball team, and they are going to the Div III NCAA Tournament! One proud Uncle here, and you know I taught her everything she knows!

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Bob

That could be scary

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Please wish her all the best from all of us. And congratulations, Unc.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 pm

What a shocking and tragic story. HS kid hits the game winner and then dies.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Prep-star-hits-game-winning-shot-for-perfect-sea?urn=highschool-329684

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 pm

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) Colema10

Here is a kid to keep an eye on. (no not the one on the right, that's Marcus) but the guy on the left is 6-10 inch (and big 270+ probably) Dejuan Coleman, Junior in HS and plays for the 2 time defending Class B New York State Champion Jamesville Dewitt High School. We went to the sectional finals yesterday and Coleman scored 22 in the rout 10 plus boards( and was 2x2 from 3) He is looking at the following schools Syracuse, Ohio State, North Carolina, Louisville or Kentucky.

Here is his ESPN info
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/66911/dajuan-coleman

Although there are rumors that he is the son of Derrick Coleman, there is no relationship.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:47 am

Question: I just had to get a new computer and didn't save some of the web addresses I used to visit. Does anyone know the link to boston.com's sports forums/chat boards? I know that's heresy here but I occasionally like to see what they're saying.

Also I used to enjoy reading the daily Red Sox daily game-on threads at sawxheads.com. The website sawxheads directs you to is http://redsox/trufan.com and it looks just like it used to last season but I can't find the game on threads anywhere on it. Just a bunch of blogs and fan submitted news. Strange.

If anyone can help, thanks.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:26 am

Steve, try:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:34 pm

sam wrote:Steve, try:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246

Sam

Thanks. I actually had that one saved. What about the Sawxheads Red Sox daily game thread? It's not anywhere on their website anymore.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Bruins beat the Candians in 2nd OT of game 5, some of the best goaltending by both goalies I've ever seen.

Bruins lead the series 3 - 2 after losing the first 2 games at home. Playoff hockey at its best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 am

Bob, I hate to admit I fell asleep at the halfway mark of a zero-zero game. It was about 3:30 here. I surely hope they can close it out at home. This comeback could take a lot of the sting of of last year's collapse.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Sam, what fun this is. The Bruins one night, Celtics the next, with the Red Sox on almost every night. Tis a great time of year.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:31 pm

especially when they are all winning!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next