SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

+11
LACELTFAN
swedeinestonia
celtic fan
RosalieTCeltics
bobc33
steve3344
Outside
beat
NYCelt
MustangGator
Sam
15 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) - Page 3 Empty Re: SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by bobc33 Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Bruins with 2 big wins at home to tie the series at 2 games each. They need to win one in Vancouver.

The Canucks have a ton of fast, talented, highly skilled players. The Bruins have some good players, a team mentality (familiar to us of course) and Tim Thomas in net. Thomas will be playing linebacker for the Patriots during the off season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ux-vs6EvY

Back to top Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) - Page 3 Empty Re: SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 pm

You know Bob, I am a real sports fan, but have never thrown myself into the Bruins until this year. That game last night was a thriller, Thomas is one heck
of a goalie, and, if they win the Cup, should be the MVP. I couldn't believe he
stopped some of the pucks he did last night, or even in other games.

As a Patriot's fan, we will be more than glad to have him join the team in his
off time. A guy with a heart like that is truly someone you want on your team.

Last year all we heard about was Tuka, looks like he may not see a minute
in these games coming up the way Thomas is playingl

Good Luck to them and all the fans who have sat back, supported their team, and waited for this time.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 am

There's a confluence of enhanced confidence among the Bruins, the lingering motivation from the finger bite episode, and the decimation of Vancouver's defensive corps. Right now, the combination of those three factors is enabling the Bruins to outwork Vancouver by a considerable margin. Even the guys Julian is inserting due to injuries are coming through!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:21 pm

BREAKING NEWS...The Vancouver Canucks have released an official statement regarding goaltender Roberto Luongo. It was confirmed last night that he is pregnant after completely missing the last five periods!
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:BREAKING NEWS...The Vancouver Canucks have released an official statement regarding goaltender Roberto Luongo. It was confirmed last night that he is pregnant after completely missing the last five periods!

And tonight in Game 6 he gets yanked during the 1st period after giving up 3 goals. Not over by any means, but it looks like there will be a game 7 as the Bruins lead 4-0 after 1.

Oh frigging my!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 am

Game 7 Wednesday night for Lord Stanley's cup...............................

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Win or lose, I'd like to compliment the Boston Bruins on a great season. Alternately deified and vilified throughout the season, they have persevered and are just 60 minutes (give or take) from winning Lord Stanley's Cup.

I've been following the Bruins since the early 50s (seems as though I've been following just about everyone since the early 50s), and I've come to appreciate the excitement of what I initially thought was too low-scoring a sport. I like fast breaking basketball; so how could I fail to appreciate the nearly constant speed of hockey? While I'm not in love with the hitting and pretty much detest the fights, I appreciate the sacrifices players continually make on the ice. It's a emotional sport, and I really appreciate that. The traditional end-of-series handshake should be adopted by basketball and every other sport. For a brief minute or two, ecstasy and agony are suspended in a mutual sense of pride as heads on both sides can be held high. And, in this particular series, we get to hear two of the greatest national anthems in the world (IMO). A pretty spicy package in my book!

Go Bruins. Hearty congratulations, no matter the outcome.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Only 40 more minutes, Bs ahead 1-0 at the end of the first.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Only 20 more minutes, Bs ahead 3-0 at the end of the second.

Do you believe in miracles?

Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:22 am

Outstanding. Wow, no other team has ever won three game 7s in one Stanley Cup Playoff. And they really came up incredibly strong in those game.

This should be one hell of a parade. Congratulations, Bruins.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSTivVclQQ0

Yabadabadooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am

What a great win, they came out right from the opening face off and
showed they were not going to be pushed around. Thomas is one hell of a
goalie!!!!

Congratulations to them all!!!

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am

Last edited by RosalieTCeltics on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicate)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbsOcEm7Rzs

Guess it no longer applies..
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:26 pm

That was an enjoyable final last night.

I really haven't paid close attention to hockey for years because I felt the sport got way diluted in talent level with all the expansion. When I last followed the game closely my allegiance was always torn between the Bruins (Orr, Esposito, etc.) and Sabres (The French Connection and proximity to home).

Following the game at a scaled-back level for so long it was nice to at least have a rooting interest in an old favorite.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 pm

NYCelt

We were at the local Watertown Wizard baseball game but Marucs kept us updated on the Hockey score. Made it home to watch the final period.

I was always a Chcago Blackhawk fan back in the days of Hull and Mikita, and Espo (Tony O ) in goal.

Loved it when the won last year but could not even tell you 1 player on there roster last year or this year! ( great fan I am !)

How's little (maybe not so little anymore) Michael doing with his baseball?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:32 pm

beat,

I remember those Blackhawks teams well...

Michael's doing great, especially with baseball. Thanks for asking. Games tonight Saturday and Sunday. We don't keep stats yet but I'm guessing he leads the league in doubles and times thrown out at second. He can hit it pretty deep already, but he thinks once the ball's in the outfield second is his. I've tried holding him up as have my two coaches but it's a tough task! He's also got baseball and basketball camps scheduled for summer.

I take it Marcus is probably through another year of ball at school and getting ready for his summer league.

What has Sarah been up to?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:08 pm

NYCelt

Marcus is in his summer leagues for baseball (see the marcus thread) and Sarah has been looking hard for a summer job, the one she had last year just does not have any hours to give her.

BUT the good news for her came yesterday, a couple years ago she worked at the local BEST BUY but she really didn't like it. Well she went there yesterday and saw her old boss and he hired her on the spot and she gets to be in the traveling circus known as the GEEK Squad!

And the biggest news for her is they are paying her a dollar more an hour than Kinneys would have ! She took her drug test today and will probably start soon. Still taking a couple college courses too at Jefferson CC.

She is at SUNY Potsdam now but don't ask me about her major. It changes from week to week! She'll be a junior this fall but has more credits than most startig juniors.

Tell Michael our local college summer team lost last evening because of stupid and OVER aggressive baserunning. He needs to be aggresive yes, BUT he needs to pick his spots too.

Keep us posted and if you have some photos put them up!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 pm

SI.com has an article about a high school football team that never punts and always goes for an onside kick, and they are very successful. I've read about this coach before. He's analyzed the statistics and figured out that you're better off always going for it on fourth down, even if you're inside your own 10 yard line or it's fourth and long.

Interesting to see someone take a dramatically different approach and be successful. He obviously has good players -- the quarterback and receivers look really fast -- and his unconventional approach probably makes local talent want to play there.

One video shows all the onside kicks. They recovered three in a row to start the game and were up 29-0 in less than four minutes against one of the better teams in the state. Another video shows offensive highlights from the game.

Anyway, I thought some of you might find it interesting. I'm not sure how well this approach would translate to the division 1 college or pro level, but I'd like to see someone with the guts to try.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/scorecasting/09/15/kelley.pulaski/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:18 am

Wow, how inventive! And presumably, if the opponent tried something unconventional in response, it would just take the opponent out of its normal game plan.

I never knew it was legal to snatch the teed-up ball, lateral it to a teammate, and, in effect, punt the kickoff.

Pretty cool.

Sam

P.S. I've temporarily changed this thread from a "sticky" to "normal" because I wasn't sure it would gain the appropriate amount of attention stuck up on top of the list of dormant threads.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:06 pm

One of the concerns I've had about the US is that we're becoming (have become?) a country of ideologues who believe "there's the right way, there's the wrong way and then there's our way and our way should always win". I was brought up to believe that "if you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door". Now, we're a country that buys mousetraps based upon who we want to believe (who we've been sold on?) makes the better mouse trap, not who can prove it.

This story, about the coach that focuses on results and not time-worn (as opposed to time-honored) traditions is a welcome addition, IMO. A revivalist, in a way.

Outside, if you could provide the name and school/team this coach is associated with, I'd like to follow his progress.

Thanks,
bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Outside here is the Yahoo piece on him Mentions his name and shows th onside kicks. At least the last one looks like an offside as a player appears to croass the line before the kick. On comment says at least 1 formation is illeagal as you need X ammount of people on each side of the ball before it is kicked. Not sure of the HS rules in that state.

Sure is an interesting approach. Imagine the team that has not even run a play from scrimmage and is down 29-ZIP. Final indicated they played pretty even the rest of the way.

This has the story and the video of the onside kicks.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Arkansas-power-leads-team-29-0-before-it-can-tou?urn=highschool-wp5870

Beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:52 pm

beat wrote:Outside here is the Yahoo piece on him Mentions his name and shows th onside kicks. At least the last one looks like an offside as a player appears to croass the line before the kick. On comment says at least 1 formation is illeagal as you need X ammount of people on each side of the ball before it is kicked. Not sure of the HS rules in that state.

Sure is an interesting approach. Imagine the team that has not even run a play from scrimmage and is down 29-ZIP. Final indicated they played pretty even the rest of the way.

This has the story and the video of the onside kicks.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Arkansas-power-leads-team-29-0-before-it-can-tou?urn=highschool-wp5870

Beat

Beat,

A quick plug for one of our local teams, Aquinas, which is traditionally found in the Rivals.com 100 top ranked HS teams.

Cut and pasted from Rivals.com;

70 Aquinas Institute Rochester NY 2-0 65 Last Week: Defeated Henninger, 48-19

Aquinas beat arch-rival Henninger from Syracuse last week; I thought you might be familiar with Henninger which is not far from you and often a nationally ranked powerhouse as well.

An old teammate and classmate of mine's son played Aquinas Little Irish football (his dad and I attended a local public school), graduated last year and got a better offer to play lacrosse than football from Syracuse. [Speaking of lacrosse and plugs our nephew I've mentioned before has now verbally accepted a lacrosse scholarship to Georgetown next year.]

I think Sam mentioned the hand-off from the kicking tee in an earlier post. Quite a play and one nobody would anticipate; I've never seen that one before either. My understanding of that one on the high school level is that since the kicking team has possession they must only turn the ball over but may handle the ball in any manner in so doing. That can include a drop-kick, free kick or teed kick among other plays, as long as it's at or behind the line.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:42 am

NYCelt and other interested

It sure appears Syracuse and Pitt will be fleeing the Big East and heading down tobacco road with the ACC.

Think it is a proactive move and basically a football inspired one with all the money a football program can bring in. Not really a surprise rumors have been flying around.

Apparently if I read things correctly can't happen for at least 2 years.

Think old Jimmy B will pass on the riegns to Hopkins by that time anyway.

Thoughts anyone.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:22 pm

beat wrote:NYCelt and other interested

It sure appears Syracuse and Pitt will be fleeing the Big East and heading down tobacco road with the ACC.

Think it is a proactive move and basically a football inspired one with all the money a football program can bring in. Not really a surprise rumors have been flying around.

Apparently if I read things correctly can't happen for at least 2 years.

Think old Jimmy B will pass on the riegns to Hopkins by that time anyway.

Thoughts anyone.

beat

Beat,

Yeah, no surprise down on our side of the lake either.

The ACC is going to be the monster conference for both football and basketball. I guess it's 2 years notice and $5 million to leave the Big East which is really just a drop in the bucket. I see the ACC is raising their exit fee to $20 million so that should help lock teams in for the long-term.

I'm sure you're right; no doubt Hopkins is the heir apparent, it's been said openly. The thing is Boeheim is still in good shape (keeping up with that much younger wife and young son helps, I presume) so I wonder if he might see the ACC and some of his buddies coaching there as a new challenge. I hope Hopkins is being paid enough to keep him happy. I've heard they're making it worth his while.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next