SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

+11
LACELTFAN
swedeinestonia
celtic fan
RosalieTCeltics
bobc33
steve3344
Outside
beat
NYCelt
MustangGator
Sam
15 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) - Page 4 Empty Re: SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by beat Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Bills about to go 2-0. Did go 2-0

Maybe?

Well it was only KC and Oakland.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) - Page 4 Empty Re: SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD)

Post by NYCelt Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 pm

beat,

Even so, they're about half way to their expected win total after two games!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Bills and Pats next weekend, should be a defensive battle. NOT

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:25 pm

This from Yahoo Sports:

Fri Sep 23 02:28pm EDT

Cashman details faking out Red Sox, boosting Crawford’s price
By David Brown

Back during December's major league free-agent frenzy, New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman admitted to Jack Curry of the YES Network that he faked having an interest in free agent Carl Crawford(notes), just so the Boston Red Sox would have to pay more money to sign him.

Which they did, to the tune of $142 million.

Since then, Crawford has apologized for failing to live up to the expectations of the contract, and the Red Sox are struggling to make the playoffs. The Yankees, who most (not me!) picked to finish behind Boston, are meanwhile working on posting the best record in the American League.

In reflecting on how his team's own offseason acquisitions affected the Yankees' drive to finishing first in the AL East, Cashman detailed his thoughts to ESPN New York regarding his "pursuit" of Crawford. Yep, it was nothing but monkeyshines with agent Greg Genske.

They both used Boston's paranoia — along with the media — to their mutual advantage:

"I actually had dinner with the agent to pretend that we were actually involved and drive the price up," Cashman said. "The outfield wasn't an area of need, but everybody kept writing Crawford, Crawford, Crawford, Crawford. And I was like, 'I feel like we've got Carl Crawford in Brett Gardner, except he costs more than $100 million less, with less experience.' "

So, one of Santa's elves lied. I'm OK with this. It's slick. It's underhanded. It's genius. It's the way you have to play in the cutthroat world of the AL East sometimes.

If you're a Yankees fan, or Brian Cashman fan, you realize it takes more than having a blank checkbook to make a baseball team win. The Yankees had a bottomless bank account in the 1980s, too, but were mismanaged and won nothing.

Curry also speculated that some of Cashman's motivation came out of revenge for Boston making an offer to closer Mariano Rivera(notes), who eventually re-signed with the Yankees. But as far as big, big money players went, Cashman was much more interested in signing left-hander Cliff Lee(notes). He soiled the Yankees offseason by signing with the Phillies shortly after Crawford went with Boston. Cashman said he was even willing to move super catching prospect Jesus Montero(notes) in order to make it easier to land Lee.

Instead of adding Lee — who Cashman still regrets losing — the Yankees brought in Freddy Garcia(notes) and Bartolo Colon(notes). Things have worked out in that regard, so far.

On that last part, it's funny how right Cashman was about the relative values of Gardner and Crawford. Crawford has hit for more power, but Gardner's gotten on base more and stolen more bases — and is about $141.5 million cheaper. So, no matter your opinion of Cashman's chicanery, the Yankees have been better off.

"What I said was accurate: The Red Sox had a great winter, and I had a bad winter," Cashman said. "But as it turned out, I had a better winter than anybody would've expected, including myself."

Even if he told a lie.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm

bobc33 wrote:Bills and Pats next weekend, should be a defensive battle. NOT

So far this season, I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised but surprised nonetheless.

I don't think The Bills have a playoff calibre team by any means, but beating Brady & Co. for the frist time since '03 was fun.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:02 pm

NYCelt,

While the game was being played, our current cottage renters pulled into our driveway. They're from Rochester, and I told them the Bills were hanging in there (only 7 down at the time). Then I had the pleasure of putting huge smiles on their faces by reporting to them when the Bills turned the game around. It sort of took some of the sting out of the Patriots' loss.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 am

sam wrote:NYCelt,

While the game was being played, our current cottage renters pulled into our driveway. They're from Rochester, and I told them the Bills were hanging in there (only 7 down at the time). Then I had the pleasure of putting huge smiles on their faces by reporting to them when the Bills turned the game around. It sort of took some of the sting out of the Patriots' loss.

Sam

Sam,

Thanks for making some fellow Rochestarians feel welcome. Sorry it was at The Pats expense!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:39 am

Best Final Night (Final Hour) Of A Baseball Season Ever?

- With apologies to The Red Sox and their fans.

For anyone else who, like me, cannot sleep until the final out; if you just did the channel flipping (or tuned to SportsCenter where they apparently did it for you) between the Sox vs. Orioles and Rays vs. Yanks you may have seen the most exciting end to a baseball regular season ever. You may have seen one of the most exciting evenings in sports ever; period. No amount of superlatives can describe the suspense and sheer excitement.

3 minutes after the Orioles come back to beat the Sox in the bottom of the 9th, Evan Longoria of the Rays hits a walkoff homer in the bottom of the 12th to win it over the Yanks after being down 7-0 late in the game, wrapping up the season and sending the Rays to the playoffs.

I'll admit to being an Orioles fan, and having no particular rooting interest in the playoff outcome, but this was simply a classic example of what the world of sports is all about.

Write it down; this one goes down as an all-timer.

Scott Van Pelt was struggling for a way to describe it on SportsCenter immediately afterwards and may have put it into proper perspective when he said something to the effect of 'this is why there is nothing else in this world like sports'. Amen to that.

Wow. Hope I can sleep!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 am

Exciting yes. Epic yes. Historic yes.

Deflated? Completely.

Any light shining in the distance? Bruins regular season starts next weekend!

The great unkown? The NBA season.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 am

Although we have The Sabres next door I've always liked the Bruins, going back to Orr and Espo. So for you Bob; Go Bruins!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:11 am

Road trip! Bruins vs Sabres Saturday Nov 12 at Boston. Meet late afternoon for some sightseeing, off to a good pre-game meal and then take in a game. Road Trip!

Who's interested?

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 am

WOW!

Only second time in Major League History a walk off home run on the final game of the season put a team in the Playoffs/ World Series! Longoria joins very elite company.

Anyone care to guess whom the other player is?

Aside from that the collapse was total. Sox were 2-10 to start out the year and finished up 6-20 over the last stretch. Had their chances and totally blew it.

Just hope that somehow someone can knock off the Yankees! PLEASE!

beat

Last edited by beat on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 am

What just happened last night???? Boston lost that game and are now out of the playoffs, I can't believe it. The beginning of the year that had Boston being better than the Yanks, has ended with a collapse of epic proportion.
Who to blame? Theo? Franconia? The Players? The Pitchers? Who will hang
here? All that money put out on player contracts and this is the outcome? I
saw no heart in that team, what a shame.

Now we deal with David Stern threatening to end the season this weekend
if some movement is not made by the players. Who blinks first? I can't imagine that this league would be willing to take themselves out of the limelight for an entire year, allowing fans to build up a true dislike for both management and players. Greed. I believe fans today would go elsewhere to follow other sports, rather than follow a league that is willing to throw
their fans to the wind, and cancel a season. It makes me sick to hear of
the monies they are fighting over, when the everyday man is busting his butt to make ends meat.

Oh well, I guess I have gone on long enough. I know my 91 year old Mom is going to be lost without having the Celtics to watch on a nightly basis, she
is a die hard fan. Try explaining that to her!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:00 am

bobc33 wrote:Road trip! Bruins vs Sabres Saturday Nov 12 at Boston. Meet late afternoon for some sightseeing, off to a good pre-game meal and then take in a game. Road Trip!

Who's interested?

Bob,

I would be interested (which reminds me we still need to reschedule something on the links too) but have one possible conflict to check. I've seen something about our football banquet being on the 13th and would need to be there for my players and especially my son. It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive so if the banquet is an evening dinner thing it would allow me to get home in time.

I'll let you know ASAP.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Sam,

I believe I read somewhere here on the board that you are also a Cleveland Browns fan. Having spent the first 8 years of my life in Cleveland (1940-48) I, like everyone else there, became and remain a passionate Browns fanatic. Moving to Berlin in 1979 I was only able to catch one or two games a year on the American military TV station. Then after the wall came down and the military left I was stuck with reading newspaper reports once a week (the same went for access to Celtic games).

I couldn't believe it when Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore - it was like someone in the family had died - maybe worse! Then came the expansion team and gradually internet access which means I have been tortured for many years by incompetent, terrible ownership, and naturally, teams - I'm sure you know the whole story. Well THIS YEAR for the first time I feel like there is some hope. There seems to be with Holmgren, Heckert and Schurmur a solid management organization where all are striving for the same thing and in the same direction. I'm really hyped up for today's game against the Titans because I think it will be a good indication of where the team is and where it's going.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this: are you following the Browns at all and if so, do you share my optimism?

Best wishes,

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Berlin,

Yes, indeed, I was and am a Browns fan. They used to telecast the Browns game to Boston every week before the Patriots came into being. I loved those early 50s Browns teams, with Otto Graham at QB, Marion Motley at FB, and my favorite all-time football player Lou "The Toe" Groza, who was both an all-star tackle and an all-star place kicker.

Beginning in 1950, they won three championships in five years, which arguably made them the first NFL mini-dynasty. But then they had a championship drought, even after Jimmy Brown (the best runner of all-time in my opinion) came along, until something like 1964.

In those days, when they had third and seven, Graham just lateraled to Jimmy, who would take off after their two pulling guards. I read somewhere (but have never been able to confirm it) that Jimmy Brown was never once thrown for a loss in his entire career. And he retired in his prime, having just amassed the second-most years of his career and having just tied his highest touchdown total even.

My biggest disappointment in those days came when Ernie Davis died before ever having played in the same backfield with Brown. I believe they would have been absolutely unstoppable. Oh well!

Anyway, your question involved the present, and I share your excitement. They're 2-1 now, and I believe they're for real. I just regret that the only time I can watch them is when they play the Patriots. I'm a big Pats fan. But, when the Pats play the Browns, I'm truly torn, and I just enjoy the game, whoever wins.

I look forward to discussing the Brown's season with you as the season progresses. And I hope all is well with you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Sam,

well, your message sure brought back a lot of old memories. Thanks very much.

Tonight I believe the Pats are playing a late game, so if you want to watch the Browns at 1:00 P.M. on the web try this link:
http://www.firstrowsports.tv/sport/american-football.html

The quality isn't always the best but during the course of the game if you refresh the page they often offer several links, some of which are not bad. But patience is required.

Other alternatives:
http://zorrohd.me/
or
http://www.sportsfree.eu/

At the last two sites click on the NFL or American football icon.

Good luck,

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the links, Berlin. I did watch the game, thanks to you.

Pretty gruesome on the whole. They need a couple more playmakers. But you've renewed my interest in the Browns, and I thank you for it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Berlin & Sam

Here is the Ernie Davis statue just outside the Carrier Dome in Syracuse that was built on the site of that old Masolium called Archbold Stadium

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) - Page 4 Dsc_0311

Here is the plaque on the front of it.

SPORTS OTHER THAN PRO BASKETBALL (AN ONGOING THREAD) - Page 4 Dsc_0312

Such a powerful young athelete cut down in his prime and Sam one can only wonder what that Cleveland team would have been like with that tandum.

They have an Ernie Davis room in the dome and next time I go I'll try to remember to take a few photos there. His Heisman Trophy is on display there too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 am

Sam and Beat,

Thank's for your response and interest.

Well, the game yesterday was a real stinker - they have a long way still to go but I feel they're on the right track. Schumur is still getting to know his players. My one worry is that I hope he's not too inflexible when it comes to trying to put square pegs in round holes. The best coaches I've seen are those who evaluate the talent they have and try to plan a scheme around them. There are those though, who have a fixed concept and stubbornly hold to it regardless of the capabilities of their players. I felt Schumur could have played Peyton Hillis a lot more.

Sam, you are certainly right, the team lacks play makers. I'm afraid it's going to take one or two more good drafts by Heckert before the Browns become a force again. However I'm optimistic that he's up to it.
There are many questions concerning this team, Colt McCoy is a big one. We'll just have to patiently wait to see how the season pans out - there are so many young players on the team.

Best wishes,

Berlin-T

Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Berlin,

Despite the loss, I liked a lot of what I saw in McCoy. Then I watched Tom Brady (and even Campbell) for an entire game, and you're right. Still a lot of learning to do throughout the Browns' roster.

In the really old days, the Browns seemed to keep coming up with relative unknowns who fit in beautifully. Guys like Dub Jones and, later, Frank Ryan. And that was when they were at or near the bottom of the heap when it came to drafting position. That organization (especially Paul Brown) was probably ahead of the learning curve when it came to scouting and player evaluation. I wish they could pluck a few out of the air right now.

For a while after they moved to Baltimore, I rooted for the Ravens mainly out of loyalty to a few key players. But it just wasn't the same as sitting by a fire with an adult beverage in hand and watching the logo-less bunch brave the snow and chill of Municipal Stadium.

I hope they never get logos on their helmets. It would seem like the Celtics getting dancing girls. Well, maybe not quite the same, but strange nonetheless.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm

sam wrote:Berlin,

Despite the loss, I liked a lot of what I saw in McCoy. Then I watched Tom Brady (and even Campbell) for an entire game, and you're right. Still a lot of learning to do throughout the Browns' roster.

In the really old days, the Browns seemed to keep coming up with relative unknowns who fit in beautifully. Guys like Dub Jones and, later, Frank Ryan. And that was when they were at or near the bottom of the heap when it came to drafting position. That organization (especially Paul Brown) was probably ahead of the learning curve when it came to scouting and player evaluation. I wish they could pluck a few out of the air right now.

For a while after they moved to Baltimore, I rooted for the Ravens mainly out of loyalty to a few key players. But it just wasn't the same as sitting by a fire with an adult beverage in hand and watching the logo-less bunch brave the snow and chill of Municipal Stadium.

I hope they never get logos on their helmets. It would seem like the Celtics getting dancing girls. Well, maybe not quite the same, but strange nonetheless.

Sam

sam,

The Celtics got dancing girls, and have since won a championship after a loooong drought. Weird, but worth the weirdness.

Maybe the Browns oughta get their entire uniforms and helmets tie-dyed. It couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Ya neva know.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Bob,

It's definitely a thought. Would they have to change their name to something like the Rainbow Coalition?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:15 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

It's definitely a thought. Would they have to change their name to something like the Rainbow Coalition?

Sam

sam,

Already taken, and I'm not sure most of them would appreciate that. Maybe a few, but they'll never tell, at least not until after they retire.

How about Ben & Jerry's Boys?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:40 pm

With the sad story unfolding at Penn State, I was glad to have someone send me this. You may have seen it before, but I hadn't -- it's from a 2007 division III game between Trinity College and Millsaps College. I counted 15 laterals. By comparison, "The Play" by Cal against Stanford had a mere five laterals.

http://www.dump.com/2011/02/22/end-zone-angle-of-the-final-football-play-of-trinity-vs-millsaps-video/
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next