NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Empty Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:33 am

Here is a thread that is for items and articles about Olympic Basketball.

Duke's Cooper Flagg has Team USA camp buzzing after putting on a show against game's elite

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dukes-cooper-flagg-has-team-usa-camp-buzzing-after-putting-on-a-show-against-games-elite-003440784.html

FYI, he's from one town away from my hometown in Maine.  I don't follow him so much because I moved away from there 10 years ago.

Vincent Goodwill·Senior reporter
Mon, July 8, 2024 at 8:34 PM EDT·4 min read

LAS VEGAS — All Cooper Flagg had to do was show he belonged on the floor with the NBA’s best. He accomplished that feat in Day 1 of the scrimmages between the U.S. Men’s Olympic team and the Select Team.

But in Day 2, Flagg was making an impact during scrimmages and showing why next season could be a tankathon among the league’s bottom-feeding franchises in the race to position themselves for the No. 1 pick in the 2025 NBA Draft.

In one sequence the media was allowed to see during the final 10 minutes of the scrimmage, Flagg — listed at 6-foot-8 and slightly over 200 pounds — stole the show as the Select Team was making a comeback against the NBA’s stars.

First, he calmly nailed a wing triple over Lakers star Anthony Davis’ outstretched arms. Then, as Davis leaked out, Flagg disrupted the long pass and tracked back downcourt.

Following a missed shot, he swooped in with a tip and foul on Miami’s Bam Adebayo. It’s not like there are stats officially being kept, but that was a glimpse of what Duke is getting later in the fall, and what the NBA will look forward to, as the stands were filled with coaches and front office personnel.

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Scree562

They were buzzing, not about the result, as the Olympic team escaped with a one-point win after Davis blocked Warriors guard Brandin Podziemski’s shot in the final seconds. But those who saw the whole thing were whispering about Flagg.

Olympic coach Steve Kerr isn’t allowed to talk about Flagg specifically due to draft rules, but he spoke highly of the Select Team’s performance as a whole. There was light concern about Flagg coming in and perhaps not being able to hang with the physicality of the game, but he answered that question resoundingly.

“I’m confident in my ability and my skill," Flagg said afterward. "So yeah, at the end of the day I’m confident in who I am and what I can do.”

Flagg won’t turn 18 until late December, so he wasn’t expected to dominate the day, and no one would say he was the best player on the floor — after all, it’s not a stretch to say all 12 members of the Olympic team will make the Hall of Fame.

But there is some hope attached to him, and he probably knows it. Going into the year with the Duke pedigree will be one thing, but along with that will be the belief he could be the next American-born star to come down a pipeline that’s increasingly filled by foreign players.

[Click on the link to see embedded video]

As far as the first two days of camp, though, he was just playing ball. And doing it well.

“It’s some pressure — I wouldn’t say pressure, kinda a surreal feeling to be able to share the court. I’m blessed to have this opportunity and to be here,” Flagg said. “So just knowing I could go out here and compete, I kinda had no worries. I didn’t put no pressure on myself, just because I’m here for a reason. I’m confident, I was just playing ball.”

The Select Team seemed to be a worthy tune-up for the Olympic team, who’ll play an exhibition game against Canada on Wednesday night in Las Vegas. It’s almost a crash course in a way for the United States team — a talented squad to be sure, but the countries they’re competing against have been working out and playing together for some time. Flagg doesn't seem to think that will matter for Team USA, however.

“They can be whatever team they wanna be. They have no weaknesses, no holes,” Flagg said. “They can play any type of way and dominate. It’s just gonna be a dominant team that forces its will on everybody.”

But for the moment, or at least a few moments, Flagg planted himself among the game’s elite. He can carry that to Duke and beyond — presumably even putting himself in the Olympic pipeline for the Americans.

The Select Team is usually filled with young players on rookie deals as opposed to the next tier of NBA stars, but plenty of players have gone from the Select Team to the Olympic team in one cycle of four years.

“It just adds confidence, continuing to get better and proving stuff,” Flagg said. “Just seeing the success and going for what I know. I know I can do it, it just adds confidence.”

Back to top Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Empty Re: Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:38 am

From the comments in the article above:

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Scree563

Back to top Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Empty Re: Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:46 am

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:47 am

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Scree564

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:49 am

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:49 am

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:37 am

I have been following the stories about Cooper Flagg for quite a while. He is quite a kid, and has a wonderful family. His Mom drove him all over the place and when he was a kid, would sit in the back seat of the family car with videos of the Celtics playing whoever. Mom was a gigantic Celtics fan. Actually, Brian Scalabrine has been singing his praises for a long time, took him under his wing a few years ago. Thanks for sharing this, I will be watching his progress throughout the year. One and done at Duke?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:56 am

https://www.nba.com/news/cooper-flagg-usa-basketball-camp-steals-show

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 Scree565

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:08 pm

17 years old and already getting buzz as the likely 1st overall NBA draft pick after an expected upcoming 1-year stay at Duke. Kid looks like the real deal.

Hard to find anyone that can approach that level of buzz at such a young age. Maybe Paul Skenes who at 22 goes from first overall draft pick to the majors after a very short minor league stay and then makes the All-Star Game. Biggest signing bonus ever. All within a year. And he dates Livvy Dunne. Not bad, young man, not bad.

Lots of pressure for any youngster, but hopefully they keep their head on straight and have a fantastic career.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:21 pm

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/watch-nba-players-involved-in-wild-bar-brawl-after-olympic-qualifier/

WATCH: NBA Players Involved in Wild Bar Brawl After Olympic Qualifier

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/8kuBNg45

Ahmad Austin Jr.Jul 9th, 2024, 10:19 am

Croatian NBA players Dario Saric and Ivica Zubac were involved in a bar fight following their Olympic qualifier in Greece on Monday morning.

The altercation happened around 5:30 a.m. local time, according to TMZ Sports executive producer Michael Babcock. In the clip posted online, Zubac can be seen fighting with a man at the Bolivar Beach Bar in Athens as multiple other people try to separate them. Then, Saric noticed the commotion involving his teammate and countryman and ran over to see what was going on. Saric then appeared to get in the man’s face in a confrontational manner.

The video seems to cut to a later point in the altercation, where Saric was suddenly in a chokehold on the ground. Zubac attempted to get to him, but multiple men held him back in an effort to avoid escalating the situation. At the same time, the man choking Saric was tapped by another man instructed him to stop.

Saric needed help getting off the ground and looked noticeably woozy as he walked away. Zubac was pushed away in the same direction as the video came to an end.

The two NBA players were in town for Croatia’s Olympic qualifier against star forward Giannis Antetokounmpo and the Greek national team. The Croatians lost 80-69.

Bob
MY NOTE:  What an embarrassment!  Can you imagine an Argentinian or Puerto Rican player getting choked out by some stranger like Saric, and his 7' buddy not stopping it?  Latins are tough, tough hombres.  You get one in a choke hold and they'll all come after you like a pack of starving wolves.  Saric is on the ground in a choke hold and Zubac is standing there allowing some guys who don't even come up to his shoulders hold him back.  He is head-and-shoulders bigger than them, LITERALLY, head-and-shoulders.  I don't expect, nor want, NBA players to be another Bill Laimbeer but, for Pete's Sake, don't let people half your size choke you out.  If I'm seeing my buddy helpless and turning blue on the ground I'm going over, around and/or through whomever I need to help him.  And Saric?  I give him credit for standing up for his friend but how can you get in a guy's grill and not be prepared for him to do something about it?

Cow, help me out here, willya?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:48 am

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40533195/kawhi-leonard-withdraws-team-usa-paris-olympics

Should Jaylen Brown replace him?
I say definitely!!!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:30 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
56 minutes ago
Derrick White has been added to the US national team, a league source confirms. Now 25 percent of the Paris Olympics squad is Celtics.

Cameron Tabatabaie @CTabatabaie
about 18 minutes ago
Team USA 🇺🇸 Guards: Curry Hali White Holiday Ant Wings: LBJ Tatum Durant Booker Bigs: Bam AD Embiid

Bob
MY NOTE:  Joel Embiid, of Cameroon, is on Team USA?  He is eligible to play for Cameroon, France (who granted him French citizenship) and the US.  Only the US really as a chance at Gold. Have you ever seen somebody who is so thirsty to win something as Embiid? One almost feels sorry for him. Nah. I hope Jayson, Derrick and Jrue torture him with tales of Championships glory. Free rent in his head.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:01 pm

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40533195/kawhi-leonard-withdraws-team-usa-paris-olympics
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:13 pm

Too late, Derrick did
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:43 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Too late, Derrick did

Though I think Jaylen would have been a better choice as he and Leonard have similar 2 way abilities, I am happy that DWhite is getting the nod and the recognition that goes along with it.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:51 pm

The rumor was out there for a while that if someone got hurt DWhite would possibly be the replacement. I do not know who Jaylen ticked off, he should be on this team. Then again, it was the USA team's way of not giving to much credit to the J's. If I didn't know better I would say ESPN had a hand in the selections!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:58 pm

LeBron already has 3 Olympic Gold Medals. He should have sat this one out and let a younger player have his spot.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:LeBron already has 3 Olympic Gold Medals.  He should have sat this one out and let a younger player have his spot.

Bob

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:38 pm

EGO!! Wants to be the oldest one to win 4 medals!!! Doesn't he have to stay home and coach Bronny???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:38 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:LeBron already has 3 Olympic Gold Medals.  He should have sat this one out and let a younger player have his spot.

Bob

+1

+2
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:30 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:EGO!!  Wants to be the oldest one to win 4 medals!!!  Doesn't he have to stay home and coach Bronny???

Laughing
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:05 pm

BOSTON -- Given that Jaylen Brown is coming off a dominant playoff run where he helped lead the Celtics to an NBA championship, he was a pretty logical choice to replace Kawhi Leonard on the Team USA roster for this summer's Paris Olympics.

Alas, Brown has been snubbed again, as Team USA opted to go with his Boston teammate, Derrick White. Add some more fuel to Brown's fire.

While White is certainly worthy of a spot on Team USA thanks to an incredibly solid 2023-24 season and his all-around game, many basketball fans are wondering why Brown didn't get the call. Apparently, Brown is wondering that very same thing based on a cryptic (but not-so-cryptic) post on X shortly after the USMNT made the announcement.

🧐🧐🧐

— Jaylen Brown (@FCHWPO) July 10, 2024

Trying to make something out of nothing??? Brown’s post when DWhite announced as part of USA team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:28 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:BOSTON -- Given that Jaylen Brown is coming off a dominant playoff run where he helped lead the Celtics to an NBA championship, he was a pretty logical choice to replace Kawhi Leonard on the Team USA roster for this summer's Paris Olympics.

Alas, Brown has been snubbed again, as Team USA opted to go with his Boston teammate, Derrick White. Add some more fuel to Brown's fire.

While White is certainly worthy of a spot on Team USA thanks to an incredibly solid 2023-24 season and his all-around game, many basketball fans are wondering why Brown didn't get the call. Apparently, Brown is wondering that very same thing based on a cryptic (but not-so-cryptic) post on X shortly after the USMNT made the announcement.

🧐🧐🧐

— Jaylen Brown (@FCHWPO) July 10, 2024

Trying to make something out of nothing???  Brown’s post when DWhite announced as part of USA team

Me being a “part time conspiracy theorist” I wonder if this is an (un?) organized plot to sow dissension in the Celtics ranks? Or maybe like a good conspirator, I am reading too much into it?!? If any forum member has an extra tinfoil hat available please forward to me asap. 😂
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:48 pm

I did not listen to Fosberg tonight on NBC/sports. He is out there with the team and has been giving reports this week on the Celtics, Tatum, Holiday, etc. He was the one who posted this from Jaylen. I have to believe it is some kind of an inside joke. Though, I do have to believe that Jaylen was a little put out to be excluded right from the start. There is a reason this happened. Whether it was just one of those things or not, I can only hope it will propel Jaylen to be even better next year.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:21 pm

Sounds like this goes a little deeper than thought. Jaylen has come out and said he did not get picked because he is not a Nike guy???? I have to hear him say this. Holley & big mouth Felger on right now battling over this. I guess Jaylen is a lot more disturbed about not getting chosen than originally thought. Ugh. Hope this does not get ugly
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next