willjr
bobheckler
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
16 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 - Page 5 Empty Re: Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by Celtics17 Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:07 am

It's pure Celtics hate, as simple as that. Tatum matched up better defensively than either Booker or Edwards. After the horrendous first half by Edwards, JT certainly should have at least played the second half. Kerr hates us for steamrolling them on national TV, and Spo always hates us. What a disgrace!! You have Bam in there shooting threes, Cmon!! If Steph wasn't hot Serbia would have won by 20.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 - Page 5 Empty Re: Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by NYCelt Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:49 pm

Celtics17 wrote:
It's pure Celtics hate, as simple as that. Tatum matched up better defensively than either Booker or Edwards. After the horrendous first half by Edwards, JT certainly should have at least played the second half. Kerr hates us for steamrolling them on national TV, and Spo always hates us. What a disgrace!! You have Bam in there shooting threes, Cmon!! If Steph wasn't hot Serbia would have won by 20.

Maybe so. One would like to think when it comes to Olympic competition that kind of nonsense would be set aside, but it's hard to find another reason. When Dick Vitale starts publicly questioning it, something is way off.

I'd like to see Olympic basketball revert to collegiate amateur players and collegiate coaches, which will never happen. Even that might not avoid petty actions any more. With the NIL quickly dragging college sports down the drain, there really aren't any true amateurs that would take the court anyway. As college basketball and football continue to suffer under the weight of the NIL and the mad dash to the transfer portal, some coach would sit a player for jumping to another team or conference out of resentment.

The best bet might be to go back to college coaches running the Olympic basketball program, and coaching the pro players. You're not going to get Krzyzewski and Boeheim out of retirement, but you might get Bill Self, Tom Izzo or Mark Few do do it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:15 pm

The prediction (by some stat guy) came out to be true. He said Tatum's minutes would go down.

Apparently, Tatum plays too slow.  He is very slow to move the ball, and he works into his own shot too slowly.  That may work in the NBA, but not so much in the Olympics-style play.  So said the author.

The article did say that White and Holiday do not play that way (slow), but it did say that many of the other players that do get PT in Paris are slow players as well.  Ant, Booker, Embiid, etc., were in the list, I think.

I don't have a link because it was late at night and I was in bed when I read it.  

The White over Jaylen Brown decision may be about the same kind of thing, something about Brown's game not being all that translatable to the international rules and style of play.

There is a logical and reasonable explanation as to why Tatum and Brown are getting different versions of the shaft.  Or, the people in the power positions at Team USA are all acting together in their . . .

War on Celtics!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:13 pm

Steve Kerr’s continued treatment of Jayson Tatum defies logic:
John Tomase
There's only one conclusion to draw from Team USA's narrow escape against Serbia on Thursday: Steve Kerr is an idiot.

Hey, that's his word, not mine. Barely two weeks ago, Kerr inexplicably sat Jayson Tatum the first time the two teams met at the Paris Olympics and then told ESPN that he "felt like an idiot" for not playing him. When history repeated itself on Thursday with Tatum glumly planted on the bench, it called to mind the famous aphorism: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, you're an idiot."

I have no idea why Kerr is effing with the best player on the best team in the NBA, but I'm here for whatever devastation the Revenge Tour wreaks across the Bay Area next season.

It seemed like Finals MVP Jaylen Brown would be leading that charge after USA basketball stubbornly bypassed him twice for the roster. But that was before Kerr decided to humiliate Tatum on a world stage, most egregiously in a must-win game that appeared headed for disaster until the incomparable Steph Curry conjured his magic.

PlayLeBron, Curry, Embiid lead US to epic comeback against Serbia
Team USA needed a late rally to overcome a 15 point deficit against Nikola Jokic and Serbia to clinch a spot in the gold medal match against France.
What Kerr is doing to Tatum can't simply be about basketball. It feels like a shot at the Celtics, as if Kerr believes his team's 2022 title over the not-quite-ready-for-primetime C's should supersede the wrecking ball Tatum and Co. just took to the rest of the NBA while raising the franchise's record 18th banner. They're threats to win Nos. 19 and 20 in short order, thus challenging Kerr's Warriors for modern NBA supremacy.

Even if you accept that this is the Old Guy Olympics built around Curry, LeBron James, and Kevin Durant taking their final shots at gold, Tatum shouldn't be sitting behind anyone.

Please explain why Devin Booker, a player who consistently posts empty numbers on a faux-contender, has played nearly twice as much as Tatum? Or why flavor-of-the-month Anthony Edwards is more worthy of crunch-time minutes?

There's no rational argument for sitting Tatum, especially against a team like Serbia, which rained threes on Thursday while Kerr left one of his best switching defenders on the bench. Even if you want to argue that Tatum's shot hasn't been right all tournament, his defense, rebounding, and playmaking more than compensate. Were Joe Mazzulla coaching the U.S. on Thursday, they win by double digits.

But Kerr seems focused on fielding a Western Conference All-Star team.

It's hard to miss his Western bias based on the allocation of minutes. The squad features six players from each conference, and the bottom five in playing time all hail from the East: Derrick White (79 minutes), Jrue Holiday (75), Joel Embiid (73), Tatum (!) (60), and Tyrese Haliburton (26). The only Eastern player in the top six is Bam Adebayo at 87. Meanwhile, the leaders are James (114), Curry (104), Booker (105), Durant (102), and Edwards (88).

When you lay out the numbers and see three members of the defending champs in the bottom five, it's fair to wonder if this is somehow about the Celtics. The fact that Kerr hasn't played the three C's together for one minute, forgoing the opportunity to exploit their obvious chemistry, is galling. Imagine fielding an international roster with Curry, Draymond Green, and Klay Thompson and not utilizing them simultaneously. Never in a million years.

MORE CELTICS COVERAGE

2024 PARIS OLYMPICS 18 HOURS AGO
Tatum's mom has strong reaction to Celtics star's DNP vs. Serbia

2024 PARIS OLYMPICS 22 HOURS AGO
USA avoids upset vs. Serbia to reach gold medal game despite Tatum DNP

2024 PARIS OLYMPICS AUG 5
Draymond defends Tatum, rips Kerr and Team USA for benching C's star
If the U.S. somehow chokes the gold medal game against host France, Kerr will deservedly go down in infamy as the coach who screwed up a sure thing. We're only one Olympics removed, after all, from Tatum being the second-best player on a gold medal squad. Now he's not good enough to play? Gross.

From a Celtics perspective, this one is going to leave a mark. Tatum finally scaled the mountaintop and barely enjoyed the view for a month before being dragged back into the valley.

He has taken his share of heat over the years, but this is different. It's one thing to face doubts he could ever lead the C's to a title. It's another finally to do it only to have the coach of the league's greatest modern dynasty decide you're not worthy of minutes on the international stage.

The easygoing Tatum has never been the kind of player to spit glass like his hero Kobe Bryant, and it's apparent how wounded he is as he languishes on the bench. But if this title and its aftermath unlocked anything, it's a welcome streak of "Whatchu you gonna say now?" defiance. Now there's more fuel for that fire.

It may ultimately play to the benefit of the C's, since these Games have given their two best players the incentive to go scorched earth on the rest of the NBA and prove that 2024 wasn't a one-off.

And if that's the case, and the Celtics rampage to another title, here's hoping Kerr is forced to watch with his eyes pinned open in the style of a Clockwork Orange while his own word plays on an infinite loop: "Idiot! … Idiot! … Idiot! .. Idiot! ..."
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:56 pm

NY Celt, Rosalie, and Cow - I totally agree with all your assessments on how Kerr has bungled his lineups badly, beyond any reasonable considerations. As an Olympic coach, he sucks. I hope the Celts give the ball to JB and JT every play when we face the Warriors and let them each go for 50. There is no excuse for the way Ker has disrespected JT and risked the USA's chances to win. Absolutely unexcusable and unforgiveable.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:15 pm

I don’t get it. I’m pretty sure there were players that Chuck Daly didn’t like, but he was focused on winning. A good fit for an Olympic team is a coach that puts personal feelings aside and utilizes player’s skills where needed and makes adjustments from quarter to quarter or game to game.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:46 pm

Is it Steve Kerr or Steve Cur, with what he has shown in the Olympics I’m inclined to go with the latter, just saying.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:36 pm

USA won the game because they have more high end talent.  But if you are remotely interested in quality basketball watch the Women's USA team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:51 pm

Whatever Kerr has to say I will not believe. This is so blatant, it really goes beyond reasoning. He has been a terrible coach, and this team can brag all they want but they could not carry the water bottles (I am being nice here) of the Dream Team. This is the Lebron, Curry, Durant show and it is boring as hell. I do not know if I will even watch the finals. Any respect I had for Kerr is long gone, he is out there trying to bust Tatum’s back, (another clean up). I would tell them to stick it next time around by then the glitter will have worn off. Do not be shocked if France beats them
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:34 pm

I am with you Rosalie on all things Cur, but I do want to see how Yabusele plays. He still wants to come back to the Celtics. Chances are better that I could become a Rockette.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:15 am

Bob Cousy speaks out about Steve Kerr not playing Jayson Tatum: ‘This is an embarrassment’

By Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe

Sat, Aug 10 at 1:53 AM

Celtics legend Bob Cousy turned 96 Friday and had a lot to say about US Olympic men’s basketball coach Steve Kerr not playing Jayson Tatum in Thursday’s critical 95-91 semifinal victory over Serbia in Paris.

“This isn’t just a snub,” Cousy said from his Worcester home Friday morning. “This is an embarrassment for that poor kid all over the [expletive] world. The Olympics have gotten that big. Everyone’s going to think that there’s something wrong this this kid.”

Thursday’s benching vs. Serbia — a game in which the US trailed by as many as 17 points — marked the second time Kerr has chosen not to play Tatum for a single minute in the Olympics. The US plays France Saturday in the gold-medal game.

“Somebody from Boston should stand up for this kid,” Cousy said. “In my judgment, this is going out of your way to embarrass one of your players.

“I don’t know Steve Kerr, and everything I’ve ever heard about him has been positive. But there’s such a difference between playing a guy for a few minutes as opposed to not playing him at all. And now he has doubled down on it.

“Tatum is on the cover of Sports Illustrated this month. Any experts that I’ve read lately have chosen him in the top five, and sometimes No. 1 in the [expletive] world. Now Kerr is telling the world that he doesn’t agree. In a 40-minute game, if you can’t find five minutes to play somebody on the team without hurting yourself …

“When Kerr did it last week, he was in no danger of losing the game, but in this case they got down by 17 points and he’s got to worry about losing the game. And then to not let Tatum get off the bench — to me, there’s got to be some kind of bias that he’s got against the Celtics. He’s not alone there.

“He’s certainly had an opportunity to access Tatum close up as an opponent. Now he’s got him.

“I’ve been through these emotions from a coaching standpoint. In 1973, I coached an American team that played against the Russians, who had just beaten us in the 1972 Olympics. I had Bill Walton, Ernie DiGregorio, Bobby Jones, Geroge Karl. I had a pretty good unit. So I’ve been through the emotions from a coaching standpoint as to what you deal with in international competition.

“Not playing Tatum at all says to the world, ‘Not only is he not top five, he’s not good enough to get into a close game.’ I can’t figure out Kerr’s thinking, and he’s done it twice, so he obviously feels strongly about it.

“He must think Tatum is a detriment, and I don’t see how he can feel that way and know anything about basketball.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:36 am

Steve Cur is an A-hole. I guess it just goes to show you (us) that you really can’t judge a book by its cover. He always seemed like a decent, straight up type of guy but it is obvious to me that he , like most every other person, has a bitter, petty, and vindictive side to his personality.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:31 pm

Well said Cooz and willjr.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:06 pm

https://itsgame7.com/nba/serbia-claims-corruption-was-reason-for-team-usas-big-win/

Serbia Claims Corruption Was Reason For Team USA’s Big Win

Team USA’s come-from-behind win against Serbia in the 2024 Paris Olympics this week will go down as one of the greatest American international showings in basketball history.

Despite looking absolutely defeated for large swaths of the outing, Team USA battled back behind the efforts of Stephen Curry, LeBron James, Joel Embiid and Kevin Durant.

Following the game, Serbia claimed that corruption was the reason for the American side’s win. Specifically, that the referees were biased.

“We tried to talk to referees,” said Bogdan Bogdanovic.

“They didn’t try to talk to us, but it’s ok. The USA doesn’t need that type of help against us. We didn’t have that type of help when they were grabbing us with two hands and all that. We played the best we could.”

While everyone who watched the game would disagree with Bogdanovic’s assessment, he can’t be blamed for thinking that the referees are corrupt.

They blatantly rigged the game for Team France just last week, and a few days ago South Sudan also pointed out some ‘irregularities’ in how their outing was called.

One basketball game remains to decide who will take home the gold in the 2024 Paris Olympics. Team USA will square off against Team France for the prize. Both teams have been accused of getting special treatment from the referees. How will that influence their matchup? Time will tell.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:34 pm

worcester wrote:Well said Cooz and willjr.

Thanks Worcester
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:37 pm

willjr, I'm still awaiting a thank you note from Cooz.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:39 pm

worcester wrote:willjr, I'm still awaiting a thank you note from Cooz.

Patience my friend. Very Happy
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:13 pm

Durant playing horrible defense, what is going on??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:16 pm

Yabusele is looking great, you could make the case that he’s been the best player on the floor so far. Any chance we could entice him to spend another winter in Maine?!?
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:18 pm

Do we still own the NBA rights to Yabusele?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:21 pm

willjr wrote:Yabusele is looking great, you could make the case that he’s been the best player on the floor so far. Any chance we could entice him to spend another winter in Maine?!?
                                                                         he can make a fortune in Europe . The real question is can / should we offer him a roster spot, and would he take it ( my opinion.)
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:28 pm

Actually,Yabusele might be a good fit for our#15 spot.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:28 pm

Actually,Yabusele might be a good fit for our#15 spot.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:19 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-boston-celtics-draft-pick-140014292.html

Former Boston Celtics draft pick Guerschon Yabusele named among players deserving an NBA contract

Justin Quinn
Tue, August 13, 2024 at 7:00 AM PDT·2 min read

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 - Page 5 36e9d805d0ec2250e51d7a3b760775f0
BOSTON, MA - OCTOBER 2: Guerschon Yabusele #30 of the Boston Celtics handles the ball against the Charlotte Hornets during a preseason game on October 2, 2017 at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2017 NBAE (Photo by Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images)

It is not just fans of the Boston Celtics clamoring for a return of the Dancing Bear (better known as Guerschon Yabusele in most non-Celtics circles) to the NBA after his transcendent play in the 2024 Paris Olympics. In fact, league analyst Mark Deeks put him at the top of his recent list of players he believes deserve a shot (or in Yabu's case, a second) at the Association.

The French forward was famously Boston's No. 16 pick in the first round of the 2016 NBA draft so he could be stashed for a season. But Yabu likely came over too soon, and ended up seeing his contract cut before it ended. Now, older, wiser, and a much better player, even Yabusele has been clamoring for a shot in the NBA once again.

"Surrounded by his NBA peers, Yabusele was nonetheless one of the best players on the silver medal-winning French team," writes Deeks. "Rudy Gobert, one of the world’s best defensive players and the face of the French team, played only 12 minutes in the gold medal match against the USA, largely because Yabusele made him unnecessary."

The Dancing Bear has been playing for Real Madrid after a short stint in the Chinese Basketball League, and has done well for himself there. "Last season, he averaged 10.5 points and 4.9 rebounds in 23.6 minutes per game of Euroleague play; perhaps most importantly, he did so with 46.3% 3-point shooting," notes the H/H analyst.

"(...) Yabusele played his way back into NBA contention with his performances in these games. And he knows it, too."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:58 pm

I'm guessing we have no rights to him anymore?!  He did look good.  That name was familiar.  I just hadn't realized that much time had elapsed!!  Another lapse that long (and quick!!) and I'll be drawing Social Security at the max!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5