willjr
bobheckler
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
16 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:27 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.mediaite.com/sports/watch-nba-players-involved-in-wild-bar-brawl-after-olympic-qualifier/

WATCH: NBA Players Involved in Wild Bar Brawl After Olympic Qualifier

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/8kuBNg45

Ahmad Austin Jr.Jul 9th, 2024, 10:19 am

Croatian NBA players Dario Saric and Ivica Zubac were involved in a bar fight following their Olympic qualifier in Greece on Monday morning.

The altercation happened around 5:30 a.m. local time, according to TMZ Sports executive producer Michael Babcock. In the clip posted online, Zubac can be seen fighting with a man at the Bolivar Beach Bar in Athens as multiple other people try to separate them. Then, Saric noticed the commotion involving his teammate and countryman and ran over to see what was going on. Saric then appeared to get in the man’s face in a confrontational manner.

The video seems to cut to a later point in the altercation, where Saric was suddenly in a chokehold on the ground. Zubac attempted to get to him, but multiple men held him back in an effort to avoid escalating the situation. At the same time, the man choking Saric was tapped by another man instructed him to stop.

Saric needed help getting off the ground and looked noticeably woozy as he walked away. Zubac was pushed away in the same direction as the video came to an end.

The two NBA players were in town for Croatia’s Olympic qualifier against star forward Giannis Antetokounmpo and the Greek national team. The Croatians lost 80-69.

Bob
MY NOTE:  What an embarrassment!  Can you imagine an Argentinian or Puerto Rican player getting choked out by some stranger like Saric, and his 7' buddy not stopping it?  Latins are tough, tough hombres.  You get one in a choke hold and they'll all come after you like a pack of starving wolves.  Saric is on the ground in a choke hold and Zubac is standing there allowing some guys who don't even come up to his shoulders hold him back.  He is head-and-shoulders bigger than them, LITERALLY, head-and-shoulders.  I don't expect, nor want, NBA players to be another Bill Laimbeer but, for Pete's Sake, don't let people half your size choke you out.  If I'm seeing my buddy helpless and turning blue on the ground I'm going over, around and/or through whomever I need to help him.  And Saric?  I give him credit for standing up for his friend but how can you get in a guy's grill and not be prepared for him to do something about it?

Cow, help me out here, willya?

What’s even more pathetic is there is not even one hot chick or one girl in that bar. No girls in a bar/nightclub is a sign it’s time to end the night or go some place else….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: Paris Olympics Basketball News 2024

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:44 am

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
yesterday
Grant Hill on the Fox broadcast: "Jrue Holiday was a top priority (building Team USA)."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:03 am

willjr wrote:https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40533195/kawhi-leonard-withdraws-team-usa-paris-olympics

Should Jaylen Brown replace him?
I say definitely!!!

Well obviously Jaylen is ticked. I'm sure he's happy for D White, but once again he's snubbed. He was the ECF and finals MVP. D White is probably a better fit basketball wise, but you can understand Jaylen's perspective. Steven A Smith has already stirred the pot saying I told you so, he's not liked. Hopefully this just motivates Jaylen even more and as long as he is clear he's happy for D White it probably makes the Celtics even more dangerous.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:16 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/07/grant-hill-overlooks-pivotal-shift-with-jaylen-brown-team-usa-snub-brian-robb.html

Grant Hill overlooks pivotal shift with Jaylen Brown Team USA snub

Published: Jul. 11, 2024, 10:29 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

Jaylen Brown was probably the most consistent Celtics player during the team’s postseason run to the NBA championship in 2024. Coming off a painful ending against the Heat in 2023 East Finals that showcased his flaws, Brown did everything Joe Mazzulla could have asked as Boston cruised to a title in historic fashion. His shooting efficiency hit new levels during the postseason run, his defensive intensity helped set the tone all year for the group and he showed no signs of complacency after signing what was at the time, the biggest deal in NBA history last July. Instead, Brown responded to the payday by winning the MVP award for the Eastern Conference Finals and NBA Finals.

Brown’s dream summer hit some turmoil on Wednesday when Team USA snubbed the two-way wing for teammate Derrick White as an injury replacement for Kawhi Leonard. Brown did not hide his discontent on social media as league sources confirmed to MassLive that he felt disrespected by failing to garner an invite for the 2024 Olympics. USA managing director Grant Hill defended his choice by opting for White over the All-Star Brown on Wednesday night in Las Vegas.

“This is about putting together a team,” Hill told reporters. “Just kind of overall, you have incredible interest from an abundance of talent that we have here in the United States. I’ve talked a little about when we assembled this roster. You have 12 spots; you have to build a team. One of the hardest things is leaving people off the roster that I’m a fan of, that I look forward to watching throughout the season, throughout the playoffs.

“Guys who have been Finals MVPs. Guys who have been part of the program. Guys who have won gold medals. Guys who I respect, admire and enjoy watching. But the responsibility that I have is to put together a team, and a team that complements each other, a team that fits, a team that will give us the best opportunity for success. Whatever theories that might be out there, they’re just that.”

To be clear here, the Americans will be just fine with White as a replacement. Heck, Anton Watson could have been this replacement and they still would be fine. White is a versatile jack-of-all-trades who will be content as a bench warmer or being thrust into high leverage situations if injuries hit. He’s a great glue guy and the Celtics and Americans are lucky to have him.

However, it’s hard not to hear Hill’s comments and wonder whether the Hall of Fame is living in the past a bit with Brown. On-court fit issues with Brown were a real concern earlier in this career on the international level. He had tunnel vision a lot offensively as defenders collapsed on him. Defensively, he had too many lapses. His lack of a reliable left hand was on full display at points during the C’s past playoff runs. Boston’s on/off numbers cratered regularly when Jayson Tatum was off the floor.

Brown is not the perfect player in 2024 but I think this past Celtics season answered a lot of these questions. It was easily the best season of Brown’s career from a team basketball standpoint. He happily adjusted from carrying the offense on certain nights to happily riding shotgun when his other talented teammates carried the load on others. Defensively, he tried to make up for Marcus Smart’s departure by volunteering for the toughest defensive assignments most nights. He played smarter, he build chemistry with teammates (Kristaps Porzingis) and perhaps most importantly for Team USA, he looked like a guy who could help a team beyond just making shots and creating offense.

For Brown to make those kinds of leaps this year and still get passed over in this situation is a bit baffling especially from a positional standpoint. The Americans were removing a two-way wing from the roster in Leonard. There were a number of potential “snubs” for Team USA (Damian Lillard, Jalen Brunson, Donovan Mitchell, Zion Williamson) in addition to Brown but none probably fit positionally as well as Brown in replacing Leonard. Let’s look at where the roster spot upon Leonard’s departure.

Guards: Curry, Booker, Holiday, Halliburton

Wings: LeBron, Durant, Tatum, Edwards

Bigs: Embiid, Davis, Adebayo

In all honesty, the White selection may be more about fixing roster construction issues than anything else. Haliburton and Booker are poor defenders and Curry’s limitations are well documented. The wing spot is probably the deepest area of the roster. Adding a defensive-minded player there makes sense. Still, Brown showed that he could be that guy in the past year who can give a defensive spark with the added upside of his offense. He probably deserves to be on this team ahead of Haliburton and potentially Booker but those aren’t changes Team USA was going to make at this point.

Ultimately, the Olympic snub will give Brown plenty of motivation going up against a lot of these guys over the next year. In the meantime, it’s fair to wonder whether Hill is living in the past with his evaluation of Brown’s fit with this group after watching him be an indispensable cog of Boston’s title run.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:24 pm

All things work together for good....

I hope JB comes back next season completely composed but madder than hornet in a Coke can!!!  

Please NBA, media, whoever, snub him one more time.  Snub him one more time!!  I dare you!  I double dare you!!  

db

Last edited by dbrown4 on Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:24 pm

db,

your last paragraph is sus.

All good until there. Just sayin'.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:18 pm

Jaylen Brown @FCHWPO
about 2 hours ago
Im not afraid of you or your resources

Bob
MY NOTE:  Another log thrown onto Jaylen's fire.  I'm sorry he feels slighted but I'm glad he's not playing in the Olympics (I'd prefer NO Celtics were on that team.  I only care about #19, not Olympic Gold, and there's a chance of injury).  While Jrue, Derrick and Jayson are off playing against lesser talent, Jaylen, you can work on improving your game and taking this out on everybody next season.  BTW, did you hear that Stephen A(sshole) Smith has said that you being left off the Olympic team proves his denigration of you?  Pay him back by dominating the league next year too, times 10.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:53 pm

And now, something about the game:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2024/7/11/24196234/jayson-tatum-and-jrue-holiday-play-a-role-in-team-usa-win-over-canada-86-72-olympics-2024-paris

Jayson Tatum and Jrue Holiday play a role in Team USA win over Canada 86-72

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:09 pm

This is becoming an “I hate Boston Celtics” post season. Shaq, fool Stephan A, who i have. No respect for, and the list goes on and on. The only way to shut them up is Win it again! Shut them all up JB, you got the big snub, by the big money, period. Shut them all up, win again. You are bigger than this, let it go, walk away, and the heck with them
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:46 pm

gyso,

That was a bad attempt by me at quoting Pulp Fiction to fit the first part!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:05 pm

db,

Understood. It thought it might be a reference to a movie.

Sometimes my attempts at humor fail, but I often learn something in the process. Just the other day I learned that Fred and Wilma do not have middle names, but Barney and Betty do.

Wikipedia is wonderful.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:22 am

gyso,

Yeah that clearly looked and sounded funnier in my head!  I've removed the offending part!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:48 am

gyso wrote:db,

Understood.  It thought it might be a reference to a movie.

Sometimes my attempts at humor fail, but I often learn something in the process.  Just the other day I learned that Fred and Wilma do not have middle names, but Barney and Betty do.

Wikipedia is wonderful.

I had no idea Barney and Betty had middle names.

What about Pebbles and Bam-Bam?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:18 am

NYCelt wrote:

Sometimes my attempts at humor fail, but I often learn something in the process.  Just the other day I learned that Fred and Wilma do not have middle names, but Barney and Betty do.

Wikipedia is wonderful.

Wilma Anna Flintstone
Frederick J Flintstone

Very Happy
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:21 am

NYCelt wrote:

Wikipedia is wonderful.

No middle names for the children, unless the second Bamm stands for one. Bamm-Bamm was adopted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstones

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:46 am

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Wikipedia is wonderful.

No middle names for the children, unless the second Bamm stands for one.  Bamm-Bamm was adopted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstones

I feel better educated now!

Always a fan of Dino, myself.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:01 pm

This is probably old news but does anyone know what show the Flintstones were based on/drawn from?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:37 pm

The Honeymooners I believe.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:46 pm

I do believe some people have way way way too much time on their hands. Are we this starved after winning the NBA Championship to be reduced to cartoons?? Before I know it we will be having kewpie dolls on here and contests for remember when and where certain players had certain plays on certain nuts. I thought it was just me that was going nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:10 pm

Although still savoring the championship, Got to admit I’m in a little bit of Celtic withdrawal. However, looking forward to watching our 3 guys play in the Olympics.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:54 pm

Winner, winner, chicken dinner, pete!!  Honeymooners were just before my time.  I just knew the Flintstones as the Flintstones!  

Per Rosalie, we are coming in a little low.  It's time for Summer League, thank God!!  We'll take anything Celtic!!  Every other night starting tomorrow!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:19 pm

Thanks dbrown, I am partial to hot wings
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:37 pm

Jaylen Brown adds to TEAM USA snub intrigue with cryptic comment:

It turns out Jaylen Brown didn't totally avoid the Team USA controversy at the 2024 ESPY Awards on Thursday night.

The Boston Celtics star gave Cam Newton a "no comment" on ESPN's red carpet show when asked about USA Basketball choosing Derrick White instead of himself to replace an injured Kawhi Leonard on the squad headed to the 2024 Paris Olympics.

But Brown -- who took home the ESPY for "Best Championship Performance" -- also did another red carpet interview with Sports Illustrated in which he was a little more forthcoming. Here's the exchange:

Sports Illustrated: "How does it feel to have support from so many NBA fans who think you should be on Team USA?"

Brown: "It feels great to have support, and one day I'll share my story. People don't have all the information in the world that they would like to know."

Translation: Brown clearly believes there's more to his Team USA omission than White being a better "basketball fit."

Based on his social media activity, Brown views Nike (the official apparel sponsor of USA Basketball) as a primary reason he's not headed to Paris: The 2024 NBA Finals MVP posted "@nike this what we doing?" on Twitter/X shortly after White was named Leonard's replacement, then wrote "I'm not afraid of you or your resources" on the platform Thursday.

Brown has been critical of Nike in the past; when company founder Phil Knight chastised Kyrie Irving in 2022 for sharing an anti-Semitic film on social media, Brown responded by writing, "Since when did Nike care about ethics?" on Twitter/X. He's also worn Nike shoes with the iconic swoosh logo removed on several occasions, including Boston's Christmas Day game in 2023.

USA Basketball managing director Grant Hill denied that Nike had anything to do with Brown not making the roster, insisting that he and his Team USA staff have full autonomy over roster decisions. But it sounds like Brown believes there are larger forces at work, and that there's more the public doesn't know about regarding the squad's latest roster decision.

When Brown decides to share his "story" remains to be seen, but in the meantime, Team USA is headed to Abu Dhabi, where White is expected to join Celtics teammates Jayson Tatum and Jrue Holiday for the squad's next exhibition game on Monday.

willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:05 am

Yaba Daba doo!!

Jaylen may have let his political stances be known and people may not approve of that behind the scenes.

I need a brontosaurus burger

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:01 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Yaba Daba doo!!

Jaylen may have let his political stances be known and people may not approve of that behind the scenes.

I need a brontosaurus burger

Post of the week.

A response commenting on both the off-topic fun of the Flintstones and speculating on possible points of rationale for the perceived J Brown snub.

All done in three quick lines. Gold medal here.

(Adding my own J Brown opinion here rather than take up space with another post. Brown is among my faves, but I wish he would shut the “F” up on this one. To me, he comes across as a whiny spoiled child. Your teammate got picked because he was the best fit for the team. In the past week alone you’ve been spotted traveling overseas, also at award banquets with an intelligent, beautiful woman. You’re the finals MVP and have one of the most lucrative contracts in the league. Get over it.)

Pete; Buffalo wings, extra crispy, with Franks Red Hot wing sauce.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next