tjmakz
Matty
beat
21 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Trade Rumor Thread

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:10 pm

“Danny Ainge would trade his first born for a stretch four if he could win him basketball games.” - Michael Felger

Does Austin have a no-trade clause in his family contract?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:12 pm

bobheckler wrote:Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Shabazz Muhammad is reportedly on team's radar

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 5 Sam-mitchell-shabazz-muhammad-fa221b8c13d7ce9b
FILE - In this Jan. 10, 2016, file photo, Minnesota Timberwolves coach Sam Mitchell talks with forward Shabazz Muhammad (15) during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Stacy Bengs, File)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on February 11, 2016 at 4:15 PM

The Boston Celtics are on a list of teams that have explored the possibility of acquiring Minnesota Timberwolves forward Shabazz Muhammad, according to Darren Wolfson of ESPN Twin Cities.

Darren Wolfson ✔ @DWolfsonKSTP
Newton's first real test: whether to move Shabazz. Hear tonight Blazers, Suns, & Celtics kicking the tires. LAC still too, & more. #twolves
9:03 PM - 10 Feb 2016
 28 28 Retweets   26 26 likes

If the Celtics could pick one area to add depth, perimeter size would likely be the choice. At 6-foot-6, 223 pounds, Muhammad would fit that mold, at least.

The 23-year-old former lottery pick hasn't shown progression like the Timberwolves probably wanted, but has still revealed potential as a scorer, albeit one who does not appreciate the fine art of passing. Last season, he averaged 21.3 points per 36 minutes on impressive 55.6 percent true shooting, according to Basketball-Reference.com. A number of his stats have dipped this year (including 3-point shooting), but his 6.9 free throw attempts per 100 possessions would still rank second on the Celtics behind Isaiah Thomas.

The Celtics certainly don't mind buying low on younger players who could blossom in different roles. Think about Jae Crowder, Evan Turner or even Thomas. Team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge could wonder whether a new set of responsibilities would allow Muhammad to emerge.

bob

2/12/16, 11:10 AM PST (2:10 EST)

Teams have been inquiring about the Celtics’ first-round draft pick that they will receive from the Brooklyn Nets in June—it figures to be a top-five selection—but there is an understanding that it would come at a cost. As of late Thursday night, a league source said, the Celtics had not engaged in any trade talks of real substance. A report on Thursday linked the Celtics to Timberwolves guard Shabazz Muhammad, but one source said that Boston was not interested in acquiring the 23-year-old before the deadline. 22 mins ago – via Boston Globe

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Despite escalating buzz with next Thursday’s trade deadline approaching, though, the Celtics are taking a cautious, measured approach. According to league sources, Boston is reluctant to mortgage its future in exchange for players who could become free agents at season’s end. The Celtics are content to move forward without making a trade, and they will be careful not to get caught up in an unnecessary bidding war. “This team is not in it for the short term,” one league source said. 1 hour ago – via Boston Globe

bob
MY NOTE:  Short of a commitment from Horford to re-sign here that would pretty much rule him out.

Now, watch Danny pull the trigger on it and make everybody look stupid.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Is Howard worth two first round picks and Zerbko? Lee, of course, will be needed for the salary swap and he has not played in a long time anyhow.

The picks do not concern me very much because we have so many that they do not hold all their value, but Zerebko seems to be a very important part of what has made the Cs what they are this season even after getting off to a personal slow start to his season.

I would rather see the Cs include Sullinger in the deal rather than Jerebko because Howard would basically fill Sullinger's role more than he will Jerebko's. How about Lee (salary match), Young (never going to make it in Boston), Sullinger (not likely to be resigned by the Cs for 2016-17) and the Mavs pick for Howard and Harrell instead of Jerebko and Lee and the two draft picks as was mentioned???????

Just seems that Jerebko is much more versatile than Sullinger. Also, the Cs can keep Jerebko next season for only $5 M just by picking up the option on his second year of the deal he signed last summer. Who knows if Harrell could be of any help either now or in the future, but he will be cheaper than Sullinger will be next year.

True that Howard could possibly fill the center position better than anyone we currently have, but some of the things you read about him are a little bit scary. The idea of him leaving in the summer is not much of a concern, but if he does leave there is still a need to find a center for next season. He has a history of injuries, so will he stay healthy for the rest of the season? His team is a mess-how much of the mess can be placed at his feet?

Howard is not likely to get a "max" contract this summer from anyone even if he does arrive in Boston and plays his butt off. He is just too old, too possibly disruptive, in my opinion, for any team to give him more than around 15 M for even a couple of years never mind 25+ M per year for four or five years. 25M per year could make this guy the absolute worst contract in the league even before the ink dries on a contract.

Ainge may like Howard for some reasons that I do not know, but I hope that our GM really gives this idea a ton of thought. If he does have to trade Jerebko perhaps he can look at bringing him back during the summer.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Berlin-T wrote:
dboss wrote:

The Celtics would like to make a move but i see no good reason to screw up the core of this team.  If we are not able to make a favorable trade then that is fine with me.  Next year Lee will be gone as well as Turner and Boston has to make a qualifying offer on Sullinger and Zeller.

The Celtics really do not have to make a trade unless it is most favorable to the needs that the Celtics have.  The other thing to ocnsider is that the team seems to have found a certain chemistry after countless rotation changes.  We now have a pretty solid starting 5 and rotation players that can step in and play together.  It is a real good mix.  if you bring in 3 or 4 new players at this pooint you will screw up that chemistry.

dboss

This exactly my greatest fear, that we'll bring in someone who can't or won't fit into the culture (chemistry) that Stevens and this team have achieved.

Berlin-T

Berlin

I have been warming up to the idea that the Celtics may want to retain Turner for the right price. He does add a much needed dimension with his uncanny ability to dribble the ball with 5 sets of hands. lol

He has actually has played very well. Some mindless plays from time to time but he does seem more focused and is probably the 2nd best player on the team with the ball in his hands. He has a very effective short game.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Ouch! Just read that Howard has the option to play next season for 23M. Does this fact scare any other Celtics fans besides me?

23M in 2016-17 is something that the Cs should look at as it may very well be difficult for Howard to turn down such an amount when he realizes that he may not get offers for more than maybe 15 M for only two or three years once free agency arrives on July 1.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:07 am

If Howard stays healthy the rest of year, he will get a deal for a lot more than $15M.

maybe if the cap was at this years $70M, but with next years cap at $89M and the year after perhaps climbing to close to $100M.....$20M plus for Howard will seem like a bargain for some team.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:30 am

kdp59 wrote:If Howard stays healthy the rest of year, he will get a deal for a lot more than $15M.

maybe if the cap was at this years $70M, but with next years cap at $89M and the year after perhaps climbing to close to $100M.....$20M plus for Howard will seem like a bargain for some team.

disagree in todays game hes a extinct dinosaur, plus even worse hes an injured dinosaur, McHale said he can't practice or play back to backs.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:43 am

Cow,

I think that I have seen Howard play a few times recently in some back to back games for Houston and he may still have some on-the-court value, but his injury history has to be huge consideration when you think that he may just decide to opt into his 23 M contract for next season if you do trade for him.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/massarotti-celtics-need-make-moves-now

Massarotti: Celtics "need to make moves now"
February 12, 2016, 7:15 pm

If the Celtics don’t make a move before the 2016 NBA Draft, they’ll likely have three first-round picks and five seconds. Tony Massarotti believes that’s an issue because they’d lose “leverage.”

“If they wait until draft night and they have all those picks, someone is going to hold them over a barrel and say, ‘you have no choice, you have to move your picks,’" said Mazz. “They need to make moves in one way, shape, or form now.”

The Celtics wouldn’t have enough roster spots to select that many rookies, and they likely wouldn’t want that many on the roster anyway, but they wouldn’t lose leverage. If anything, the opposite could be true.

If the Celtics don't make a move they'll retain their war chest of assets. But if they do trade them away, they'll lose their leverage in the event an opportunity arises to trade for a star. Even if no impactful move is on the table, the Celtics will have the flexibility of a contortionist to package picks together and move where they want within the draft.

If they wanted to move up a few picks in the middle of the first, like they did in 2013 to acquire Kelly Olynyk, they’d have the ammo to do so. Even if the Brooklyn pick ends up No. 4 or No. 5, they could, in theory, assemble a package that’s appealing enough to move into the top three for a chance at Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, or Dragan Bender.

Teams looking to acquire more picks aren’t going to “hold them over a barrel,” because it’s not like the Celtics have to pass on selecting college players if no trades are available.

This year’s draft is ripe with International talent the Celtics could stash overseas, so they don’t count against their salary cap or 15-man roster. Shooting guards like Furkan Korkmaz and Timothe Luwawu would be options in the middle of the first, while Juan Hernangomez, Paul Zipser, among many others, would be appealing choices in the late-first or early-second round.

It’s preferable for the Celtics to consolidate their assets and make an impactful move before Thursday’s trade deadline, but if they don’t it won’t be all doom and gloom. In reality, they could possibly control the course of the draft.

bob
MY NOTE:  I think Massarotti is making an excellent point.  What you do NOT want, when you are negotiating, is for the person on the other side of the table think you are forced to act and if we have 3-4 1st round picks this year we will be forced to unload some or go even more ridiculously young.  We need to do something that moves a pick or two and we need to do it now, before we really, really need to.

We don't know where the Brooklyn pick will fall and until we do the price for it is too uncertain.  We can predict, with some confidence where our pick and our pick from Dallas will fall.  Their value, and what a fair price for them might be, is more clear.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Bob,

Mazz may have stolen this idea from others on our forum as it has been mentioned here considerably before he wrote this piece.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Marc D’Amico: #IsaiahThomas says a player, who he will not name, asked him about Boston… As in that player is interested in joining the Celtics. 4 hours ago – via Twitter

bob
MY NOTE:  For the most part the only players Thomas is likely to be talking to this weekend are All-Stars, Rising Stars, 3pt contestants and skills competition contestants.  In other words, precisely the types of players we want.

Either they were told by their management a deal to Boston is being duscussed, a heads-up, or the word is getting out about Brad and his way.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:01 pm

The local talk radio is rampant with trade rumors. Who should go, who to keep, is there anyone untradeable?,kind of nerveracking. Every day it is someone new. I am against any deal that may involve Crowder, I feel he is our backbone. It would have to be someone with a tremendous upside for me to fall in love with a trade involving him. In fact, Turner has become such an important part of this team that I would not be in love with the thought of losing him. I know he is a free agent at the end of the year but if he continues to play the way he has been, I see Danny trying to keep him. He fits with Stevens well and it appears that Stevens likes him a lot.

One minute Love is on his way here, the next NO WAY, according to LeBron. It is all overwhelming, I don't know how Danny does it.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi Beat-how are you doing? The kids? Glad to see you here now and then, I miss talking to you!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:01 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/massarotti-celtics-need-make-moves-now

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:05 am

Rosalie all are doing well
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:13 am

I don't see any trade coming.

We are playing quite well and I don;t think any of us expected to be even this good.

Making a trade for the sake of dumping assets? Not gonna happen IMHO. We are improving and how knows by adding will we end up "better". We are at the point in the process to tweak things not disrupt things.

Look what Stevens has accomplished by having virtually no roster turnover int he past 12 months?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Lee, who has fallen out of Brad Stevens’ rotation, and would welcome a move to a playoff team that has a role for him, is not drawing suitors. “David Lee was tough for Golden State to move all of last year,” said the source. “And it finally came down to him being moved for Gerald Wallace. David Lee has no value. It’s his contract. David Lee’s value comes in if they get one of these big name players.” … Isaiah Thomas has been doing his part when it comes to selling players on the virtues of being a Celtic. 5 hours ago – via Boston Herald

bob
MY NOTE: Because it was a straight up Wallace-for-Lee trade we are no worse off now than we would be if the trade didn't happen, but it is surprising that nobody will take on Lee for additional frontcourt depth for a playoff run, even with a trade exception to make the numbers work. A good idea by Danny, last summer, but it doesn't seem to be panning out.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Why would any contender want Lee? As I mentioned awhile ago, seen Lee since his rookie year, hes always been a major defensive liability even when he was young and could score and rebound. Now as an older player hes even weaker in all areas, as soon as Stevens took him out of the rotation, we started to jell.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:24 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Why would any contender want Lee? As I mentioned awhile ago, seen Lee since his rookie year, hes always been a major defensive liability even when he was young and could score and rebound. Now as an older player hes even weaker in all areas, as soon as Stevens took him out of the rotation, we started to jell.

Cow,

Depth. He's a scorer and a rebounder. He can still do those things. Suppose he is traded to a team and one of their bigs go down in the playoffs, like Perk did with us and Love did with Cleveland last year? Tristan Thompson did a helluva job but it would have helped if he had someone of quality to back him up.

Also, there was the reason he was taken out. Brad's system is very uptempo and requires young, athletic legs. You have to be able to run, not just jog, A LOT. Any player over 30 will have trouble with that for many minutes. He was not taken out because he was a cancer (quite the opposite) or because he lost his skills like Gerald Wallace had.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:56 pm

ESPN’s Chris Broussard said the Heat is gauging trade interest in Whiteside, and two people in contact with the Heat told me that Miami appears open to considering a Whiteside trade, if it can dump other salary and get quality talent back, because it knows it’s going to be uncomfortably costly to keep him. Heat officials have expressed frustration with him, for reasons we explained in last Sunday’s column. But the Heat also knows the odds would be against a trade this week because he’s earning just $981,000 (causing cap complications) and the team acquiring him wouldn’t have any financial advantage in re-signing him. 5 hours ago – via Miami Herald

bob
MY NOTE:  At just under 7'0" with a 7'7" wingspan, he is a shot-blocker par excellence, averaging a ridiculous 5.0 blocks/36mpg.  He's actually playing 28mpg, a little more than Perk used to average for us, and is averaging 3.9 blocks in those minutes.  He is also an excellent rebounder at 11.0 rebounds in 28 mpg.  Where he falls down is ft% (52%) and his perimeter defense.  If you read the 'Comments from the Other Side' threads when we play Miami you'll see the Heat fans complaining about how he doesn't like to move outside the dotted line/restricted area.  Unfortunately, in today's NBA, bigs have got to be able to go out there and still be comfortable getting back in time to affect a shot on a cut to the rim.  For all his talent he might (might!) be a dinosaur.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:49 pm

I have felt for a while that there would be a deal put on the table for Turner that he will take. He has been searching since he got drafted and seems to have found a home here in Boston. As I have said before, I feel that Stevens likes Turner and he was improved tremendously as the year has gone on. He seems happy here, does his job and accepts what does his way. I hope I do not eat my words but I have started to really like watching him.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:35 pm

For the people who do not like Cousins as a potential Cs player due to his immaturity issues, I would think that all of those same fans would post here about also not wanting the Cs to even bother looking at Whiteside.

Whiteside is not the player that Cousins is and is going to cost more than Cousins for the next couple of years although he may come somewhat less expensively in trade chips.

I say no to Whiteside at this time regardless of his stats.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:37 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-pg-wolves-ricky-rubio-trade-article-1.2531542

RUMORS AROUND THE LEAGUE
Boston is positioned to make a big splash this week with Danny Ainge having the assets to make a play for Al Horford, Kevin Love, Danilo Gallinari or Griffin. If the Celtics pull the trigger, Lee's expiring contract and draft picks will definitely be included in a deal.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 am

Chris Broussard on Dwight Howard: “I’m told he would like to get to Atlanta.” – via ESPN.com

Chris Broussard on Dwight Howard: “Even last last year his representation talked to the Hawks about ‘Hey, it may be not working out in Houston… What do you guys think?’ He’s from Atlanta. He needs some love.” – via ESPN.com

bob
MY NOTE: IF (if, if, if...) Howard goes to Atlanta, then they can let Horford go. Danny can, at the minimum, facilitate this by using David Lee's expiring contract to make the numbers work. Just don't get paid off in draft picks, ok Danny? We practically have our own draft already.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next