tjmakz
Matty
beat
21 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Trade Rumor Thread

Post by steve3344 Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:40 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nba-trade-deadline-buzz--clippers-move-closer-toward-channing-frye-deal-023959300.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:40 am

steve3344 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nba-trade-deadline-buzz--clippers-move-closer-toward-channing-frye-deal-023959300.html

Who would have thought that paint-allergic Rashard Lewis 2.0 stretch 5 would be in such demand?  He makes Kelly look like a bulldozer with hair.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 am

Roughly 6 hours to go before the deadline comes and goes and this thread is approaching 3500 views. If that doesn't make it the most popular thread in this board's history it has to be close.

Thanks to everyone for making it an enjoyable one.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 am

MY NOTE:  the bolds are mine, not the author's.

Bulpett: Celtics still aiming for big deal

Steve Bulpett

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

SALT LAKE CITY — As the countdown to the trade deadline has dissolved from weeks and days to hours and minutes, the Celtics are still holding out hope that a star will fall from the NBA sky.

While league sources indicated that, in the words of one, “nothing is really hot with Boston,” Danny Ainge and Co. are still said to be working to pry loose something major. In that vein, for example, Doc Rivers has said the Clippers aren’t trading Blake Griffin, but it’s a fair bet the Celtics will revisit the topic before the clock next strikes 3 p.m. EST Thursday.

It would take someone on Griffin’s level to get Ainge to part with the first-round pick from Brooklyn, but sources tell the Herald it would definitely be on the table in that case.

That would not be so for some of the other very good, but not transcendent types that have also been discussed with the Celts. The pick would not be in play for Al Horford, but that matter seems moot anyway. The C’s have had no recent talks with Atlanta about him, and, in addition to what the Hawks might want should they move him, it is clear from sources that the Celts are not willing to pay the 6-foot-10 center big money when he becomes a free agent in the summer.

And word is the Celtics would also be unwilling to part with the Nets’ pick if the Cavaliers choose to be more interested in making Kevin Love available. The C’s have never really stopped being interested in Love after their hot pursuit in the summer of 2014 when he was with the Timberwolves, and it was reported here that if Cleveland didn’t come through with the big contract last summer, Love would have been looking at Boston as a landing spot.

But now with his large deal in place and physical questions (sources say a knee problem may be more of an issue than his back or shoulder), how much would the C’s be willing to offer? And, again, that presupposes the Cavs change their stance and look harder and what Love could bring back on the open market.

The risk/reward dilemma is a key aspect in everything the Celts are doing right now, and in particular with the pick coming from the Nets this June (as well as the right to swap positions with them next year and the unencumbered first-rounder from Brooklyn in 2017).

The critical point from NBA people who’ve spoken to the Celtics in the last week is that the club isn’t under pressure to get something done this minute. Ainge has said that any move he makes has to work for the longer term as well as now, and that states pretty clearly he’s not giving up any of the Nets’ chips for anything other than a sure thing.

“He’s not going to spend a lot for someone who doesn’t move the needle,” said one prominent player agent.

Said another: “Danny has something pretty good going there, so why would you mess with that unless you knew you were making it really better?”

While much of the talk surrounding the Celts has been focused on players they may or may not be trying to acquire, other clubs are interested in much of what the C’s have on their roster.

From discussions here with team execs in recent days, the names that come up most often are, in no particular order, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas and, to a bit lesser degree, Kelly Olynyk  (MY NOTE:  NOT Sully!). Clubs are aware that Thomas certainly isn’t going anywhere unless he’s involved in a multi-player blockbuster transaction, but they haven’t shied away from mentioning him and the others.

According to sources, the Celts are willing to discuss everyone in their employ, but aren’t necessarily willing to part with anyone from the rotation unless the trade offers more than just a marginal improvement.

As stated here numerous times, whereas last season C’s management was probably more desirous of their draft pick being in the lottery, it is important this season that the team be portrayed to free agents and possible trade targets as a place they’d want to play.

Judging from the comments of players during All-Star Weekend, that appears to have been accomplished at least thus far. Therefore, it is hard to imagine Ainge making a move that would hinder the present club’s ability to make a good showing the rest of this regular season and into the playoffs.

“Players want to go where they can get paid and where they can win,” said one general manager. “And most every team will be able to pay a free agent this summer. You’re going to have to look for other ways to recruit guys or make them want to re-sign if you trade for them. The next best way is having a place where they think they can fit in and where they can win. Nobody wants to go to a dead-end situation, unless that’s the only place they can get paid.”  (MY NOTE:  Another good reason to NOT tank.  Everybody will have money to throw at players in a rising salary cap world, you need something else to be the difference-maker.  We have Brad and a program, a system, that is clearly working with lesser talent. We play fun basketball).

All of that would seem to indicate there is even less chance the Celtics will make a trade by the deadline. But there is no doubt they will continue to work the phones in their star search.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4722099/deadline-reminder-expect-the-unexpected

NBA deadline reminder: Expect the unexpected

8:10 AM ET

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Some food for thought as rumor-starved Boston Celtics fans navigate the final hours of the 2016 NBA trade deadline: When was the last time the Celtics made a deadline move that had tumbled through the rumor mill in the days leading up to the trade buzzer?

The answer, as best we can remember, is that it's never happened in recent years. There were no rumors about Isaiah Thomas or Jonas Jerebko or Gigi Datome last year. No rumblings about Jordan Crawford in 2013. And certainly no one expected the Jeff Green-for-Kendrick Perkins swap that left the Celtics' locker room shell-shocked in 2011.

The Celtics and their hermetic front office do an excellent job keeping most of their activity under wraps, in large part because little good can come from information leaks, particularly when most talks never escalate to a serious level. What's more, as last year's deadline hammered home, much of the honest-to-goodness dealing happens in the frenetic final minutes of the deadline when teams have to put their cards on the table.

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 7 I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1205%2Fr33380_1296x729_16%2D9
Coach Brad Stevens said the Celtics are waiting to see how things play out during the NBA trade deadline, just like everyone else. AP Photo/Eric Gay

Could the Celtics make a big splash at this year's deadline and snag one of the big fish they've been rumored to be chasing? Sure, especially with the assets at their disposal. History simply suggests Boston's activity is more likely to be a less anticipated move.

Remember what coach Brad Stevens said earlier this month when the rumor mill first started churning: "We're just all like listening and laughing and trying to figure out what's real and what's not, but not putting a lot of a stock into it until somebody knocks on our door."

Some leftover nuggets from Boston's pre-practice access when the team reconvened Wednesday:

• The Celtics have 12 bodies in Utah, electing to leave rookies R.J. Hunter and Jordan Mickey back home. Stevens said the plan is for Hunter and Mickey to practice with the Red Claws on Thursday and potentially resume D-League game action on Friday. While Mickey has been rehabbing a high ankle sprain, it's worth noting that the Celtics haven't assigned Hunter, Rozier, or second-year swingman James Young to the D-League for game reps since recalling that trio on Jan. 24. Given that young players can be trade sweeteners, it seems fair to wonder if the Celtics are trying precaution to avoid a freak injury that might complicate a deal. The time those young players have spent around the parent club recently could also help if Boston needed to temporarily lean on them amid any deadline activity.

• What kind of player might Stevens desire if the Celtics were to add at the deadline? The third-year coach stressed again Wednesday that he's focused on the players on his current roster, but added, "We just need to continue to grow in our versatility and our ability to guard multiple players and our ability to guard multiple positions. Some guys have shown a real unique ability to do that. The more guys that can do that, the better. And I think that we've got some guys that are improving in that regard. As I look at our team, and I look around the league and how to get better, I think the biggest thing is is how versatile can each guy be in defending? And obviously be a good defender at multiple positions, not just be a defender at multiple positions."

• Stevens sneaked to a Butler University basketball game during the All-Star break, but he spent much of the recess here in Utah. "I was in Indy for a couple of days then I just came out here," said Stevens. "So I've been out here for three or four days, just to kind of unwind. I didn't want to do too much hopping around. And get ready for this stretch. This is a tough [three-game] road trip and we have 27 important games left."

• Isaiah Thomas was asked if he did any recruiting during his All-Star game appearance in Toronto and quickly changed the topic while noting, "I'm not talking about none of that no more. I can't say nothing. It gets out too fast." Reflecting on the All-Star experience, Thomas added, "It was an amazing moment for me, an amazing weekend. I got to sit back and think about it the last two days and ... it's something I definitely want to do every year. I'm not satisfied with just making it one time. There's a lot of guys that are just satisfied with that one time. I want to be like LeBron [James] and them guys where every All-Star weekend you're looking forward to playing in that game. It's something I'm gonna work toward and just try to reach and make another goal for myself."

• As if to hammer home the tight-knit nature of these Celtics: Jae Crowder said teammate Amir Johnson joined him on an All-Star-break trek to Turks and Caicos. Said Crowder, "I try to spend time with my teammates as much as possible." ... Meanwhile, both Danny Ainge and Jared Sullinger made the trip to Columbus, Ohio for Evan Turner's Ohio State University jersey retirement ceremony on Tuesday night. Turner seemed genuinely appreciative of the support. Later, when referencing this year's team he said, "Chemistry is everything, camaraderie is everything."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01 am

10 mins ago – via Twitter SpearsNBAYahoo

Marc J. Spears: One NBA team executive said most free agents to be, i.e. Anderson, Horford, won’t commit to possible trade partners so that can impact deals

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:01 am

Please do NOT acquire Kevin Love, his contract is a joke!! it goes up to 24 million per season at some point and at that point hes gonna be even worse and more broken down.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:34 am

A. Sherrod Blakely: Ainge remains steadfast in not including ’16 #Nets pick in potential deals, source says. Is that a good idea? 38 mins ago – via Twitter SherrodbCSN
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:39 am

bobheckler wrote:

A. Sherrod Blakely: Ainge remains steadfast in not including ’16 #Nets pick in potential deals, source says. Is that a good idea? 38 mins ago – via Twitter SherrodbCSN

No way to answer until we know "for who"?
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 am

Chris Mannix: Two teams interested in seeing where Sean Marks stands on Thaddeus Young: Toronto and Boston. Likely more, Young an appealing player. 4 mins ago – via Twitter ChrisMannixYS

bob
MY NOTE: I love Thaddeus Young, but where do you put him? Whose minutes does he get?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:19 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Please do NOT acquire Kevin Love, his contract is a joke!! it goes up to 24 million per season at some point and at that point hes gonna be even worse and more broken down.

Agree.

Really not looking like the forward we need. Diminishing game, already, and a bad contract do not help us.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojVerticalNBA
Sources: So far, Boston's showing unwillingness to pay premium prices on rentals for Al Horford and Dwight Howard.
7:02 AM - 18 Feb 2016
882 882 Retweets 786 786 likes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 pm

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Please do NOT acquire Kevin Love, his contract is a joke!! it goes up to 24 million per season at some point and at that point hes gonna be even worse and more broken down.

Agree.

Really not looking like the forward we need.  Diminishing game, already, and a bad contract do not help us.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/17/jackie-macmullan-on-omf-danny-ainge-is-going-to-make-another-run-at-kevin-love/

The great Jackie MacMullan believes the Boston Celtics plan to chase Kevin Love before Thursday afternoon's trade deadline.

During a Wednesday appearance on WEEI's Ordway, Merloni & Fauria show, MacMullan said she thinks the Celtics will try to acquire the Cleveland Cavaliers star before Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline arrives, but expressed little confidence the two teams can reach a deal.

"I do believe that Danny is going to make another run at Kevin Love because we know that he's coveted Love all along," MacMullan said. "The one thing that I think is interesting about Love, everybody is down on him -- well, he stretches the floor, which we know Brad Stevens likes, right? Well, he can't defend and I don't know how you guys feel about real plus/minus, I tend to be a fan and I am sure the Celtics have things that are much more sophisticated than what we use at ESPN for real plus/minus, but just for the heck of it, I looked it up this morning on Kevin Love. He's 12th overall in the league. That is pretty good.

"His defensive numbers right now -- his defensive plus/minus is better than his offensive plus/minus. I think Kevin Love gets a raw deal when it comes to the Cleveland Cavaliers and maybe why they aren't performing maybe as well as they should. In fact, we know Kyrie Irving is coming off some pretty severe injuries, look at his numbers, they are horrible. His defensive real plus/minus is minus 3.22. The only point guard who plays significantly in the league that is worse are guys like Brandon Knight and actually Derrick Rose. I think Kevin Love gets a raw deal.

"I would be thrilled if the Celtics could bring Kevin Love here, I just don't think it's going to happen. If I am Cleveland, I'm the best team in the East and we all know every team -- Golden State, San Antonio, they are one injury away from being vulnerable, I'm standing pat for the most part."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Gary Washburn: Talked to two people with knowledge and they say all is quiet with the #Celtics, but again there’s three hours to go. 14 mins ago – via Twitter GwashburnGlobe

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Agree.

Really not looking like the forward we need.  Diminishing game, already, and a bad contract do not help us.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/17/jackie-macmullan-on-omf-danny-ainge-is-going-to-make-another-run-at-kevin-love/

The great Jackie MacMullan believes the Boston Celtics plan to chase Kevin Love before Thursday afternoon's trade deadline.

During a Wednesday appearance on WEEI's Ordway, Merloni & Fauria show, MacMullan said she thinks the Celtics will try to acquire the Cleveland Cavaliers star before Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline arrives, but expressed little confidence the two teams can reach a deal.

"I do believe that Danny is going to make another run at Kevin Love because we know that he's coveted Love all along," MacMullan said. "The one thing that I think is interesting about Love, everybody is down on him -- well, he stretches the floor, which we know Brad Stevens likes, right? Well, he can't defend and I don't know how you guys feel about real plus/minus, I tend to be a fan and I am sure the Celtics have things that are much more sophisticated than what we use at ESPN for real plus/minus, but just for the heck of it, I looked it up this morning on Kevin Love. He's 12th overall in the league. That is pretty good.

"His defensive numbers right now -- his defensive plus/minus is better than his offensive plus/minus. I think Kevin Love gets a raw deal when it comes to the Cleveland Cavaliers and maybe why they aren't performing maybe as well as they should. In fact, we know Kyrie Irving is coming off some pretty severe injuries, look at his numbers, they are horrible. His defensive real plus/minus is minus 3.22. The only point guard who plays significantly in the league that is worse are guys like Brandon Knight and actually Derrick Rose. I think Kevin Love gets a raw deal.

"I would be thrilled if the Celtics could bring Kevin Love here, I just don't think it's going to happen. If I am Cleveland, I'm the best team in the East and we all know every team -- Golden State, San Antonio, they are one injury away from being vulnerable, I'm standing pat for the most part."

bob

Jackie Mac always brings an insightful approach to her reporting. She makes some interesting points worthy of consideration, but the thought of bringing Love here still just doesn't work for me. Call it a gut feeling based on the last game or two I've seen him play, I don't have a better way to describe it. I think his contract is too lucrative for what he brings in return.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm

I for one think Love is paid about right.

I am not a fan nor will I be upset, if Danny brings him here.

he is a 20/10 guy who is 27YO.

getting paid a soon top be BELOW max deal for I think 3-4 more years.

we could do worst, depending on what the cost is.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 pm

kdp,

One of several concerns I have about Love, and guys with similar contracts, is the new deal next season when all the TV money hits. The players association has already said they're going to be aggressive in bargaining and I think we can easily see a player walkout and shortened season coming in the next year or two. I think Love is going to want more and that could stick us with one unhappy and overly expensive camper.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:09 pm

NYCelt wrote:kdp,

One of several concerns I have about Love, and guys with similar contracts, is the new deal next season when all the TV money hits.  The players association has already said they're going to be aggressive in bargaining and I think we can easily see a player walkout and shortened season coming in the next year or two.  I think Love is going to want more and that could stick us with one unhappy and overly expensive camper.

Regards

I think the players are pretty happy campers right now.
Teams now have a salary floor of 90% of the salary cap.

Players receive 51.5% of all league revenue.
So, as the TV money explodes, so will the salaries for the players.

The players would have to be absolute fools to walk away from what they have now.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:15 pm

he's under contract.

I can't see that as being a problem. No one made him sign the deal and it was more than fair last year.

he could have done the Lebron , sign for one year each year deal if he wanted.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:10 pm

No news of any Celtics trade and only 51 minutes to go? Looks like we're standing pat.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:14 pm

worcester wrote:No news of any Celtics trade and only 51 minutes to go? Looks like we're standing pat.

Actually I hope so. Just wonder how our players are feeling right about now............wonder if they are looking at the clock too?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 pm

TJ and KDP,

You're forgetting about the new contract with TBS/TNT.  It was announced in 2014, but kicks in in 2017.  You have to go back to 2014 to find a good summary, try this one; http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nbas-new-tv-deal-blow-up-the-salary-cap/

It's not that they're not happy now, it's that they've already said they want more through the players union.  The players union has stated publicly they want a larger share from the upcoming deal, which goes into effect for the 2016 - 2017 season.  Players are expected to seek renegotiation early and often.

Love is a great example of the type of player that's going to cost more.  We can remind them they're under contract, but we know how that works out as it is. When the entire union is looking to increase the players slice of the pie, it gets worse.  Everyone is going to be looking to get paid.

In my own opinion, I see Love regressing already.  His inability to hit wide-open shots on a consistent basis this year doesn't leave me feeling we need to pursue him.  Me, I wouldn't want to deal with a forward whose skills are possibly peaked and even in decline, and looking for more money.  And due to the upcoming TV deal, and stated union objectives, he will be looking for more.

I suppose it's a moot point, since the deadline is here and he's not coming anyway, but that's what's behind my reasoning.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Wonder why I keep looking at the clock?

2:20 EST

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski: Sources: So far, Boston is sitting out the Dwight Howard talks. 3 mins ago – via Twitter WojVerticalNBA

bob
MY NOTE: Halle-freaking-lujah!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:27 pm

do I understand you , that you feel the union will want to allow players to re-negotioate existing contracts?

or do  you mean once a players contract expires?

if its the former, we won't be seeing NBA ball for a while once those negotiations get heated.... the owners will NEVER allow that change without a substantial  give from the union (maybe non-guaranteed deals)...neither one is likely IMO.

sure once Loves contract is up and IF he's playing at an all-star level ...he will want more money. but there is no way to re-negotiate a contract that I know of in the NBA curently.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next