tjmakz
Matty
beat
21 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Trade Rumor Thread

Post by arambone Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Go ahead and sleep on the attractiveness of Boston Celtics as a free agent destination. Just like you probably slept on the Celtics this year.

LaMarcus Aldridge stated flatly in November that there was "mutual interest" in Boston last summer.

IT4 just said that stars were asking him about Boston at the ASG, like they were interested in coming here.

When you think of Boston as a free agent destination, remember that the Celtics are the 3rd best team in the East, and they're just getting warmed up after a slow start.

You might not think Brad Stevens is a big deal, and you might not think that a super young team being in 3rd place isn't a big deal to star free agents, but a lot of them do think it's a big deal.

And yes, even having great draft picks makes a difference. Future free agents know that the Celtics foundation for the next 10 years is rock solid, with or without that free agent. No other teams can say that, and smart stars don't want to sign with teams that are maxed out, asset wise.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Proof that Charles Barkely has lost his mind: During the pregame show for the Cavs/Bulls game he was talking about today's deals and he said, "I LOVE the Jeff Green trade! I thought that was the most significant move of today (with Jeff going to the Clippers). Everybody knows I love Jeff Green. Jeff Green frustrates me but I believe he can be a perennial all-star."

What??? Not JUST an all-star, but the Chuckster believes Jeff can be a"PERENNIAL all-star." Hokay....

Chuck also said during the first two months of the season the Knicks were a lock to make the playoffs. Now they're a virtual lock to NOT make the playoffs.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 pm

steve3344 wrote:Proof that Charles Barkely has lost his mind:  During the pregame show for the Cavs/Bulls game he was talking about today's deals and he said, "I LOVE the Jeff Green trade!  I thought that was the most significant move of today (with Jeff going to the Clippers).  Everybody knows I love Jeff Green.  Jeff Green frustrates me but I believe he can be a perennial all-star."

What???  Not JUST an all-star, but the Chuckster believes Jeff can be a"PERENNIAL all-star."   Hokay....

Chuck also said during the first two months of the season the Knicks were a lock to make the playoffs.  Now they're a virtual lock to NOT make the playoffs.

Steve,

Well, he got one thing right. Jeff Green is definitely frustrating.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:05 am

arambone wrote:Go ahead and sleep on the attractiveness of Boston Celtics as a free agent destination. Just like you probably slept on the Celtics this year.

LaMarcus Aldridge stated flatly in November that there was "mutual interest" in Boston last summer.

IT4 just said that stars were asking him about Boston at the ASG, like they were interested in coming here.

When you think of Boston as a free agent destination, remember that the Celtics are the 3rd best team in the East, and they're just getting warmed up after a slow start.

You might not think Brad Stevens is a big deal, and you might not think that a super young team being in 3rd place isn't a big deal to star free agents, but a lot of them do think it's a big deal.

And yes, even having great draft picks makes a difference. Future free agents know that the Celtics foundation for the next 10 years is rock solid, with or without that free agent. No other teams can say that, and smart stars don't want to sign with teams that are maxed out, asset wise.

Aldridge never even scheduled a meeting with Boston. How much interest did he have in them?

I'm sure IT and every other player at the ASG talked about their team to other players.

Yes, Boston is the 3rd best team in the East. They have been playing good ball.
But, a bad week and they could be in 7th or 8th place.
How do you know players think that Boston being in 3rd place is a big deal?
Smart stars don't want to play on teams that are maxed out, assets wise? Huh?
Didn't Alrdidge sign with San Antonio?
Didn't LeBron, Wade and Bosh choose to play together?
Would you be surprised if Durant signed with GS this summer?
Players want to play with other stars and at least be a playoff team.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:46 am

Danny speaks:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/video/ainge-ultimately-deals-werent-good-221435483.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:08 am

bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:Proof that Charles Barkely has lost his mind:  During the pregame show for the Cavs/Bulls game he was talking about today's deals and he said, "I LOVE the Jeff Green trade!  I thought that was the most significant move of today (with Jeff going to the Clippers).  Everybody knows I love Jeff Green.  Jeff Green frustrates me but I believe he can be a perennial all-star."

What???  Not JUST an all-star, but the Chuckster believes Jeff can be a"PERENNIAL all-star."   Hokay....

Chuck also said during the first two months of the season the Knicks were a lock to make the playoffs.  Now they're a virtual lock to NOT make the playoffs.

Steve,

Well, he got one thing right.  Jeff Green is definitely frustrating.

bob

Barkley added these comments about Green in the post game wrap-up tonight: "I think Jeff Green is a really really good player who doens't want the pressure of being the man. He played great in OKC. Got traded to Boston, couldn't handle the pressure of being the man. He played pretty good in Memphis but I think he's going to fit in perfectly with the Clippers."

If Chuck thinks Jeff Green "played pretty good" in Memphis he's crazy. He played worse in Memphis than he did in Boston and he was terrible in Boston. For his two years in Memphis he was below his career FG %, below his career 3 PT FG % and lower in his career rebounds per 36 minutes. That's why Memphis shipped him out. They were tired of his inconsistent act after less than two seasons.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 am

tjmakz wrote:
arambone wrote:Go ahead and sleep on the attractiveness of Boston Celtics as a free agent destination. Just like you probably slept on the Celtics this year.

Aldridge never even scheduled a meeting with Boston. How much interest did he have in them?

I'm sure IT and every other player at the ASG talked about their team to other players.

don't you know he knows EVERYTHING?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Don't we all, in our own little way?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:48 am

SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz made a deal Thursday, 1 of 9 completed on the NBA's trade deadline day, but it may not have been as substantive as observers expected.

In the end, the Jazz were part of a three-team deal between Chicago and Atlanta that sent Shelvin Mack to the Utah Jazz. The Bulls traded Kirk Hinrich to the Hawks for Justin Holiday, and the Jazz sent Denver's 2018 second-round pick previously acquired in a 2013 deal to the Bulls.

Mack definitely makes sense for the Jazz to acquire: "Clearly, we had some room under the cap and a roster spot," Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey explained.

With seven second-round picks owned by the team in the next two drafts, giving up one of them simply wasn't a worry. There's no way the Jazz will be able to use that many players, or even be able to acquire useful draft rights with that many picks.

As for Mack, the Jazz knew good things about him. Utah head coach Quin Snyder worked with Mack in his best season as a professional when he played over 20 minutes per game as Atlanta's backup point guard after making the roster out of training camp. But since the Hawks drafted Dennis Schroder, Mack found himself mostly out of the rotation.

Mack gives the Jazz a few facets in his play that they don't currently have from their point-guard rotation. Mack's career assist percentage at 28.8 percent would be the highest on the Jazz by a mile. He's also the Jazz's biggest point guard: he measures at about an inch taller than Raul Neto and Trey Burke, his wingspan is about 2 inches longer and he weighs about 20 pounds more.

As Lindsey put it, "The team fits each other; there's not overlapping talent."

That's not to say Mack is guaranteed to play major minutes in a Jazz uniform. Burke has shown that he's a far better mid-range shooter this season than Neto or Mack, and Neto's 3-point shot has been surprisingly effective. The Jazz's starting lineup, which features Neto, has outscored teams by over 10 points per 100 possessions. Snyder won't want to mess with that too much.

In the end, Lindsey diverts the issue of playing time to his head coach, saying, "Quin's going to have to make some decisions, but that's what the head coach is paid to do."

The issue is an interesting one, especially because of reports that Burke was already unhappy with his current role before the Jazz added another point guard to the mix. Clearly, Burke's parents were, as they tweeted about his playing time. And while that sort of thing might normally be sent to the "overbearing sports parents" bin of consciousness next to Little League dads everywhere, in this case, Burke's father Benji also partially represents Burke as his agent.

Son Trey, though, to his infinite credit, has maintained huge amounts of professionalism about his situation while he finds himself coming off the bench. We'll see if that maintains through 30 games of NBA play between now and the Jazz's next opportunity to move him. I suspect it will.

The Jazz looked at many trades involving Burke. The big rumored deal that would have sent Burke to Houston and Ty Lawson to the Jazz was probably overblown: I'm told the Jazz only had casual conversations with the Rockets about such a deal and nearly no talk in the middle of this week.

The Mack deal, however, was always a possibility for at least the last month. According to multiple sources, the Jazz and Hawks had multiple conversations over that timeframe on what a Mack deal would look like, depending on what exactly happened to starting point guard Jeff Teague. The price, a good second-round pick, was decided on far before Thursday's deadline. Whether or not the deal happened hinged upon whether or not either team could find anything involving their lead guards.

That's where both teams found out about the value of their players. The Hawks were always asking too much for Teague. The Jazz would have been interested at the right price, but they didn't want to give up Alec Burks in such a deal. And the Jazz found that the league wasn't willing to give up much in return for Burke, a cheap and effective scoring point guard under cost control for both this season and next.

As Lindsey put it, "The market spoke about what we had in a lot of different levels." That's why the Jazz "agreed that we wanted to err toward continuity and chemistry," according to Lindsey.

Lindsey acknowledged that he may be erring toward valuing his players too highly.

"Maybe there's too much pride in ownership, but we'll find out," he said. But the Jazz's strong play since the return of Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert said a lot to the Jazz, and led Lindsey to choose this path.

"Our team is moving in the right direction," he said.

bob
MY NOTE:  So Brad Stevens' Butler Bulldog, and former Maine Red Claw, is now in Utah.  He'll probably clear the physical today and be ready to play tonight.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 am

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

for a stat geek/guy its amazing how many things/stats that he brought up, he gets wrong

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:30 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

for a stat geek/guy its amazing how many things/stats that he brought up, he gets wrong

Cowens,

He has the right to state his opinion.  He chooses to back his opinions up with stats.  Stats are not always right, and they certainly aren't necessarily leading indicators, but they do provide a justification for the opinion.  Sam was a professional statistician for his entire adult life, owned a statistical analysis firm for over 40 unbroken years, and he was very leery of stats.  I have disagreed with using +/- stats as a reliable measurement tool (Sam agreed, btw) but just because I disagree with arambone on that doesn't mean he's wrong on everything.  In fact, he might be right despite his use of a flawed metric.  In other words, he might be right despite himself.

You have the right to state your opinion.  You have the right to back that opinion up anyway you want or even not back it up at all, just throw it out there and defend it ad hoc.  

Both of you have the right to disagree with each other's opinions, and mine.  It just must be done in a convivial way.

And I reserve the right to point out where both of you are wrong and compliment you both when you, singular and plural, are right.  I promise to remember to do it in a way that would make Sam proud.  Neither of you have to agree with me.  In fact, I can think of numerous occasions where you and I have disagreed and you are as stubborn as I am.  This is despite your knowing that I am never wrong.  I thought I was once, but I was wrong. :-)

With a few exceptions, everybody on this board bleeds green.  That's why we take time out of our daily lives to come here and contribute.  That should unite us more than divide us.  We're all on the same side, we just might not see the path to 18 taking the same route.  And yet, we all think we know the right way, that's why we post.

Wag more, bark less or, at least, wag your tail when you bark.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:00 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/danny-ainge-other-team-backed-out-big-trade

Ainge: 'Other team backed out of a big trade'

February 19, 2016, 9:45 am

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 9 Byline_toucherandrich

No, the Celtics didn't make a move by yesterday's 3 p.m. trade deadline . . . but they came close.

This morning on Toucher & Rich, the C's director of basketball operations, Danny Ainge, said the team nearly pulled off what would have been a substantial trade until the other team pulled away from the table "at the very last minute".

"We were willing to do one deal, and it just didn't happen," he told guest hosts Ryan Johnston and Mike Flynn. "Both teams weren't ready to go. And it was a really tough, close deal. And it was certainly not a no-brainer. There was risk on both sides' part. But at the end of the day, both teams were not ready to do it."

Ainge said the deal was "very close".

"It's something we had been deliberating on for two days straight," he said. "The other team was doing that (as well). And we were wrapping ourselves around a big package to do a deal, and at the very last minute, you know, they just said, oh, they did not want to do it. They just backed out.

"So it was a deal that was talked about, thought about, and that was probably the closest that we came."

Ainge, of course, wouldn't reveal the name of the other team or the players involved . . . but we may find out at some point.

"A lot of discussions that we had I think can set the path for something later on, down the road," he said. "Before we got Kevin Garnett, it was something we had talked about for two years.

"So you just never know what might happen later."

bob
MY NOTE:  So, for example, the deal might have been for Horford but a combination of fear of him just being a rental and Atlanta not feeling like they want to break up a team that should make the playoffs killed the deal at the last second but could lead to a sign-and-trade after the season is over and the draft positions are set.  Or maybe it was Kevin Love.  We'll see though.  What I find interesting about this is that Danny said he talked about KG for 2 years before it happened.  That takes more than just calling and asking "so, who do you want for KG?", it takes having a meaningful conversation with your counterpart about where they are and what they need and how long they are willing to wait to get there.  It's almost like a consultative sale.  Danny got his nickname because of his willingness to pull the trigger on tactical upgrades but he really is a big picture strategic thinker.  He has a vision of what he wants this team to look like and what players and skill sets he needs to fulfill that vision.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:44 am

The notion that the Celtics will be an attractive free agent destination has yet to be proven.

We all hope that quality free agents wants to come to Boston but the increase in the CAP numbers may reduce those opportunities becasue teams will have the cash to re-sign their own free agents if they want to.

Right now we can speculate but no one actually knows what will happen.

Danny thought that the $15 mill expiring contract for Lee would be a key asset but it is not becasue teams that have players that we want do not need CAP space. So DA was not able to move Lee. It was something we knew could happen and was only a minor gamble.

When free agency begins we will see if a guy like Horford is really interested in coming to Boston.

Ainge did a great job holding his fire. I think the team will be better off not havin made any moves. I heard that Lee's buyout is done. That may result in a guy like Mickey seeing some active time on the roster which would be nice particularly if he gets some minutes.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:50 am

dboss wrote:The notion that the Celtics will be an attractive free agent destination has yet to be proven.

We all hope that quality free agents wants to come to Boston but the increase in the CAP numbers may reduce those opportunities becasue teams will have the cash to re-sign their own free agents if they want to.

Danny thought that the $15 mill expiring contract for Lee would be a key asset but it is not becasue teams that have players that we want do not need CAP space.  So DA was not able to move Lee.  It was something we knew could happen and was only a minor gamble.

When free agency begins we will see if a guy like Horford is really interested in coming to Boston.

Ainge did a great job holding his fire.  I think the team will be better off not havin made any moves.  I heard that Lee's buyout is done.  That may result in a guy like Mickey seeing some active time on the roster which would be nice particularly if he gets some minutes.

dboss

With KO out for a few games Mickey might get that chance.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:09 pm

beat wrote:
dboss wrote:The notion that the Celtics will be an attractive free agent destination has yet to be proven.

Danny thought that the $15 mill expiring contract for Lee would be a key asset but it is not becasue teams that have players that we want do not need CAP space.  So DA was not able to move Lee.  It was something we knew could happen and was only a minor gamble.

Ainge did a great job holding his fire.  I think the team will be better off not havin made any moves.  I heard that Lee's buyout is done.  That may result in a guy like Mickey seeing some active time on the roster which would be nice particularly if he gets some minutes.

dboss

With KO out for a few games Mickey might get that chance.

beat

beat,

Excellent point.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Mannix: C's may make offseason run at Howard

February 19, 2016, 8:15 am

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 9 Byline-csn-staff

Just because Dwight Howard didn't come to Boston before the trade deadline doesn't mean he's never coming to Boston.

On Yahoo! Sports, Chris Mannix -- a frequent contributor to Comcast SportsNet New England's Celtics telecasts -- makes the case that the C's may, in fact, be one of Howard's most ardent suitors if, as expected, he declines his player option and becomes a free agent this offseason:

The Celtics were involved in (trade talks involving Howard at the deadline), league sources (said) . . . but, like everyone else, were not interested in paying Houston's price. Yet Celtics president Danny Ainge is a fan of Howard. [Former Rockets coach and former Ainge teammate] Kevin McHale gave Ainge a strong endorsement of Howard, and there are few people in the NBA Ainge respects more than Mac. Boston has a hole in the middle and money to spend; to the Celtics, Howard is intriguing.

If the Celtics do plan to make a serious run at Howard in July, their lack of action yesterday makes a bit more sense.

bob
MY NOTE:  Ugh.  I'd much rather have Horford than a Dwightmare.  How the Hell does Dwight Howard fit into Pace-and-Space?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:Mannix: C's may make offseason run at Howard

He really does not fit into the Pace and space system but he is still a legit center that can rebound and provide some rim protection. Horford is a perfect fit however and I would prefer a run at him but I am hearing that Atlanta is a place that he really likes and the Hawks may retain him which i think is a really good idea for them.

dboss

Just because Dwight Howard didn't come to Boston before the trade deadline doesn't mean he's never coming to Boston.

On Yahoo! Sports, Chris Mannix -- a frequent contributor to Comcast SportsNet New England's Celtics telecasts -- makes the case that the C's may, in fact, be one of Howard's most ardent suitors if, as expected, he declines his player option and becomes a free agent this offseason:

The Celtics were involved in (trade talks involving Howard at the deadline), league sources (said) . . . but, like everyone else, were not interested in paying Houston's price. Yet Celtics president Danny Ainge is a fan of Howard. [Former Rockets coach and former Ainge teammate] Kevin McHale gave Ainge a strong endorsement of Howard, and there are few people in the NBA Ainge respects more than Mac. Boston has a hole in the middle and money to spend; to the Celtics, Howard is intriguing.

If the Celtics do plan to make a serious run at Howard in July, their lack of action yesterday makes a bit more sense.

bob
MY NOTE:  Ugh.  I'd much rather have Horford than a Dwightmare.  How the Hell does Dwight Howard fit into Pace-and-Space?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:30 pm

It seems like Danny wanted to trade for a star but it didn't work out.
The other team back out of the deal at the last minute.
I didn't think Danny wanted to keep 8 draft picks this summer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25488601/danny-ainge-says-celtics-almost-traded-nets-draft-pick-at-the-deadline
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Sorry Bob.
I missed that you already posted a similar story.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:52 pm

bob he is still a battering ram in front of the rim, don't know what the going market rate is for an old warhorse. We'll see how available he may be eventually, he sure would be a better shotblocker and defensive presence than anything we have there. Whosever is left over would have to feel pretty comfortable with Howard taking on the biggest guy and leaving our other guy with the easier or less physical guy. Our young guards could always feed him off p@r.....who knows?

Lets see how he does in the playoffs if he gets there

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:33 am

bobheckler wrote:Mannix: C's may make offseason run at Howard

bob

The Dwightmare that didn't happen, explained:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--high-asking-price--refusal-to-opt-in-scuttled-dwight-deals-193429628.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9