Post by dboss Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:23 pm

If Howard is heading to ATL then Hortford most likely is heading to Houston

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Trade Rumor Thread

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Dwight Howard has pretty much been a mental mess since he left Orlando. And, who knows, he may have been a mess while there as well?

He is unhappy with his time in Houston, he was unhappy in LA and the list may go on and on until he retires.

I just hope that he never wears a Cs uniform, but if he does go to Atlanta perhaps that makes Horford slightly easier to get for Mr. Ainge.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:40 pm

dboss wrote:If Howard is heading to ATL then Hortford most likely is heading to Houston

dboss

According to the NBA Trade Machine it would take more than Horford to do that, just from a monetary perspective. Horford makes $12M and Howard makes $22M.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:55 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240800/Cavs-Unlikely-To-Re-Sign-Timofey-Mozgov

Cavs Unlikely To Re-Sign Timofey Mozgov

FEB 15, 2016 11:04 AM

The Cleveland Cavaliers are unlikely to re-sign Timofey Mozgov this offseason if they don't trade him ahead of the deadline.

Mozgov has a very tradeable $5 million salary for this season and he'll be an unrestricted free agent.

The Cavaliers have been playing smaller, plus they have Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao also playing big man minutes.

Mozgov appeared to be a possible max contract player last season, but that is unlikely after his disappointing season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:44 pm

now the rumor-du-jour is Whiteside going to Houston for Howard.

Even if Miami threw in Luol Deng that still would not be enough to make the numbers work, and even then the Rockets would be bumping against the 15 man roster limit.

It's the silly season, I think. Just another 3 days of this hot air.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:46 pm

I can Howard going  there as FA next season, but I don't see the trade with Atlanta that gets him there.

of course, Horford and Teague would be a match for Howard in a  trade. But why would the Hawks do that deal?

edit:

well, well......I just did a THREE team trade on the old trade machine with the Celtics included and this one works for cap purposes at least.

Atlanta gets Howard and Decker from Houston
Houston gets T. Splitter from Atlanta

Boston gets A. Horford from Atlanta
Houston gets either D. Lee or A. Johnson form Boston

I assume in a deal like this, Boston sends at least either our own 2016 first rounder of the Dallas one to Houston and probably a second round pick to Atlanta

I guess it could happen after all....hmmmm.

Last edited by kdp59 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 pm

bobheckler wrote:now the rumor-du-jour is Whiteside going to Houston for Howard.

Even if Miami threw in Luol Deng that still would not be enough to make the numbers work, and even then the Rockets would be bumping against the 15 man roster limit.

It's the silly season, I think.  Just another 3 days of this hot air.

bob

It could be Deng, Whiteside, Anderson and Haslem to Houston for Dwight.
Then in that transaction, Houston could trade Anderson and Haslem to Phoenix or Philly along with a 2nd round pick or two. Both Phoenix and Philly are under the  salary minimum for this season.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:59 pm

bobheckler wrote:now the rumor-du-jour is Whiteside going to Houston for Howard.

It's the silly season, I think.  Just another 3 days of this hot air.

bob

the heat would need to dump Andersen, McRoberts and Deng with Whiteside to make the salary's work.

Houston would probably be able to include either Harrell, Thornton or Terry as minimum wage types in the deal as well.

Houston would just cut Andersen who is way done as an NBA player now anyway. leaving them one salary/player to cut.

edit:

trade machine says

Howard, Harrell and Thornton
for
Whiteside, Deng, Andersen and McRoberts

works
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:41 pm

The trade machine does not make trades. It seems names are thrown together in some mixing bowl with no expectation for what will come out of the mix

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:49 pm

2/15/16:

AJ: Does Al Horford get traded to the Celtics? – Steve Kyler: Far from decided. I was told Celtics not willing to give real assets for a rental. 2 hours ago – via Twitter stevekylerNBA

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:24 pm

I am not a fan of rental players, but could possibly give up David Lee and the Celtics pick for Horford.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Rental is only when you are 1 missing piece to reach the finals....we are far from that. We are at least 3 players. Be patient let the rebuilding process work.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:39 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/02/bulpett_celts_eye_big_picture_big_deal

Bulpett: Celts eye big picture, big deal

Ainge wish list: Land difference-maker

Steve Bulpett Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 6 17NBA_GRIFFIN
Credit: AP
WHAT’S THE DEAL? The Celtics are among the teams interested in Clippers star Blake Griffin, but it remains to be seen whether president of basketball operations Danny Ainge will make any moves before Thursday’s deadline.

SALT LAKE CITY — The Celtics already have been quite active in their investigations as Thursday’s NBA trade deadline draws near, but, according to several league sources, the talk has yielded no serious leads.

It’s quite clear the club would like to make a major move, but in that such a transaction would require a major player being honestly available, the current outlook is dim.

And by “honestly,” we mean a team willing to talk realistically about a star player — not one looking to make a one-sided killing.

A Western source confirmed the Celtics were one of a number of teams calling the Clippers to see if Blake Griffin is, indeed, on the menu. But the result of those inquiries has thus far been that, while the Clips are listening, they have no real intention of moving the star forward.

The Celts seem to be approaching this week with an opportunistic eye. They have the goods to make a large trade, but with a big draft haul on the way, they can also afford to be patient and make their moves in the offseason.

Asked his goals for this deadline, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge told the Herald, “To help our team become better — not short-term better, but short- and long-term better. And not at the expense of wrecking our future.”

While refusing to get into specifics, his comments clearly would seem to take the Celtics out of the running for any player who might be considered a “rental” — someone late in a contract who may command more on the open market in a year or two than the club is willing to pay.

And though the Celts may be left with a minor move that can bolster the rotation or adds to their flexibility down the line, Ainge is still focused on the larger picture.

“When I’m looking at players out there, I’m looking at players that can make a big difference,” he said, “not players that can win us two games or anything like that. That’s not my objective.

“Our objective is not to keep us in the No. 3 seed in the East and maybe move up a bit, other than that’s our players’ objective and that’s our coaches’ objective. I think those are amazing goals, and it’s been fun watching this team compete and beating some of the good teams along the way. But our objective is to put together a team that can compete for championships.

“Listen, we’re just a few games from being at seven or eight, and it wasn’t too long ago that we were the ninth seed in the East. So, no, I don’t pay that much attention to the standings. I look more at how we’re playing and where our holes are and what we need to do.”

The question will be how high a price Ainge will be willing to pay if a star comes on the market. He got aggressive in his bidding to move up in the draft to select Justise Winslow, taking it to the point where some believed he was offering too much in the draft pick/player combination.

“I’m not going to confirm or deny anything that happened on draft day,” said Ainge. “But for what was being discussed, I have no regrets.”

And he is not concerned that things will get out of hand now, with the huge chest of assets in his possession.

“I feel like we have a pretty good group of people here that I work with,” Ainge said. “We have checks and balances. It’s balancing the here and now and also balancing the future.

“Coaches live in the moment, and I understand that. I’ve been a coach. I get it. But we also have other people on our staff that are so protective of our future.

“We’re trying to do both. We’re trying to win for the current players and the current coaches and fans, and yet we also have to be wise about how we go about it and not jeopardize our future. We want to be able to sustain things.”

In other words, you probably shouldn’t worry about the Celtics spending this year’s first-round pick from Brooklyn on anything less than a cornerstone player.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:40 pm

I don't think we're going to make any sort of an impact deal here.

The way the team has been playing this year, however, that may be quite alright.

Play it out as is and see what happens at draft time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:22 pm

They'll need to make a deal at some point to unload some of the draft picks. From what I understand, they have eight total draft picks in 2016, which will turn at some point from potential assets to wasted assets if they don't do something. If they wait until the offseason, other teams may take advantage of the Celtics' desperation to trade the picks.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 pm

bobheckler wrote: Chris Broussard on Dwight Howard: “I’m told he would like to get to Atlanta.” – via ESPN.com

Chris Broussard on Dwight Howard: “Even last last year his representation talked to the Hawks about ‘Hey, it may be not working out in Houston… What do you guys think?’ He’s from Atlanta. He needs some love.” – via ESPN.com

bob
MY NOTE:  IF (if, if, if...) Howard goes to Atlanta, then they can let Horford go.  Danny can, at the minimum, facilitate this by using David Lee's expiring contract to make the numbers work.  Just don't get paid off in draft picks, ok Danny?  We practically have our own draft already.

The fact that it's coming from Broussard makes it suspect. He of "my sources tell me" is the worst insider covering the NBA. Remember his BS about Mark Cuban texting people and wanting Deandre Jordan's phone number even though he had been talking to Jordan for quite sometime before he was jilted? If it happens and it works out that we get Horford without giving up too much (Brooklyns #1 and a few other I would consider almost untouchable) that's great. But Broussard the blowhard and his sources at this point are not worth getting hopes up.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:38 pm

I think everyone needs to understand, Danny is not giving Brooklyn's #1 on a potential walk at years end. The player would have to be locked up for min 2 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Outside wrote:They'll need to make a deal at some point to unload some of the draft picks. From what I understand, they have eight total draft picks in 2016, which will turn at some point from potential assets to wasted assets if they don't do something. If they wait until the offseason, other teams may take advantage of the Celtics' desperation to trade the picks.

Outside,

My own guess is they unload later picks in a bargain hunting move.  Those picks won't bring much back, but maybe they can find an Evan Turner type scrap-heap reclamation project.  I think it's entirely possible they keep and use 2 or all 3 of the first rounders.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:08 am

some of the seconds could also be moved on draft day, simply for second round picks in future years.

there seems to be a few teams looking for second round pick each draft.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 am

To be honest, for the first time since The Trade, I'm ok if Danny does nothing.  We've got a pretty good team here, we don't need to blow it up.  We have an elite defense and an improving offense.  We need talent upgrades, sure, but they can come this summer with all the cap space we will have.

Furthermore, there are teams that have players we want (,e.g. Blake Griffin, Kevin Love (not me particularly but Danny covets him) and Al Horford) but because they are in the playoff hunt, their teams want a BIG payoff for giving them up now.  They might be more amenable, their expectations more reasonable, after the playoffs are over and their fan base expects change and they won't be seeing losses mount up as the playoffs approach and the new player(s) is/are being assimilated.

I'm ok with standing pat and going to war with the junkyard dogs we have.  We should be buyers, but not overly motivated ones.  My only unresolved issue would be our vast wealth of picks, we need to trade them, if not now then we need to get paid forward on draft day when we trade them for future picks and/or players.  Remember, Ray Allen was a draft day trade.  Sometimes, the other team wants to be sure they will get the pick they want, that he is still on the board and available when our pick's time comes, before pulling the trigger on the trade.  Seattle wanted Jeff Green and they wanted to be sure he was still available at #5 before they called Danny and said 'yes'.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:46 pm

20 mins ago – via Basketball Insiders
Alex Kennedy: “The two guys I’ve heard the Kings are looking to move, or at least are open to moving, is Rudy Gay and Darren Collison. I’ve been told those guys want out. Rudy Gay especifically I think he wants out, that’s what I’ve heard. So don’t be surprised if Rudy Gay gets traded before the deadline. I think he’s upset, I think he’s open to being traded and he’s pushing for that.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Both of those guys could help us, but I don't see it happening.  Rudy Gay is making $12.4M, and has 2 more years left after this one.  David Lee for Gay straight up works as far as the Trade Machine goes, but the scuttlebutt is that Lee has zero trade value, so that won't happen even with picks thrown in as sweetener.

I've liked Darren Collison for a while, he is an excellent back up point guard, and I'd love to have another true point guard besides Isaiah, but I don't see this happening.  Danny is focused on bigs and scoring wings, I think.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Yes, DC would be valuable, but does that mean Rozier is a total bust?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:02 pm

worcester wrote:Yes, DC would be valuable, but does that mean Rozier is a total bust?

worcester,

I wouldn't say that as much as "he's not ready yet". We're trying to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs and a veteran point guard might make the difference.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/cavs-interest-anderson-could-lead-love-celtics

Cavs' interest in Anderson could lead Love to Celtics

February 17, 2016, 5:45 pm

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 6 Byline-blakely

SALT LAKE CITY – Cleveland’s growing interest in New Orleans’ Ryan Anderson bodes well in Boston’s seemingly never-ending quest to acquire Kevin Love in what's shaping up to be a potential three-team deal that would include the Boston Celtics.

The particulars of the deal are still in the discussion phase, but the end result if it comes to pass would send Love to Boston, according to a league source.

The deal is still "very fragile" at this point, but it does provide Boston the best shot it has had in landing a player the Celtics have coveted for some time now.

Boston has spent a significant amount of time in recent weeks trying to convince the Cavs to part ways with Love, only to be rebuffed.

The Celtics have pursued bringing a third team into the mix as a way of sweetening the deal to Cleveland's liking.

New Orleans would make for an ideal partner considering Anderson becomes a free agent this summer and the Pelicans aren't expected to pay Anderson the kind of money his status on the free agent market would warrant.

And when you look at his skills in terms of stretching the floor and scoring around the basket, he in many ways provides similar talent (but not as good a rebounder) to Love.

There are still a number of hurdles that need to be overcome before a deal of this magnitude is complete.

But the current stage of discussions is further proof that Danny Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, is focused on delivering a superstar to this roster sooner rather than later.

And at this point, Love presents the best chance Boston has had in recent years of achieving that goal.

bob
MY NOTE:  This "deal" is very fragile, maybe ephemeral (perhaps even pure smoke) but it is amazing how Danny is SO relentless in pursuit of players he wants.  Cleveland doesn't want anything he has to offer?  No problem, tell me who/what you do want and I'll go talk to them and make it happen.  He's unbelievable at putting deals together that just don't exist without his mind at work on them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/source-celtics-favorites-acquire-hawks-horford-if-available

Source: C's among favorites to acquire Horford if available
February 17, 2016, 3:30 pm

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 6 Byline-blakely

SALT LAKE CITY – The Atlanta Hawks have not made a decision on whether they will trade Al Horford but a league source tells CSNNE.com that the Boston Celtics have emerged as one of the favorites to land him if the Hawks decide to part ways with the veteran forward.

Horford, a four-time All-Star, is in the final year of a five-year, $60 million deal that pays him $12 million for this final season.

That means any team acquiring him via trade runs the risk of him being an end-of-the-season rental player with Horford set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Boston would still take that risk, but there would most likely be some reassurances before the deal is consummated that the 29-year-old Horford (He'll be 30 in June) would be strongly considering re-signing with the Celtics for what would most likely be a near-max contract.

Horford was in Toronto last weekend as a last-minute All-Star replacement for the Eastern Conference All-Star team.

I asked him about his status as well as the trade rumors he has been linked to recently.

“For me, I ask for guidance but at the end of the day I understand the business of everything,” Horford said at the time. “I know how everything works. For me, I need to stay diligent, keep doing what I do and whatever happens, happens.”

The Hawks love the talent and leadership that Horford brings, but the team has sputtered recently and appears in need of a shake-up. And while a number of Atlanta player's names have surfaced as potentially being on the move, Horford's name has been relatively constant in such conversations.

And knowing that he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, the Hawks run the risk of keeping him through the rest of the season and losing him without any form of compensation.

By trading him prior to Thursday’s 3 p.m. EST trade deadline, Atlanta would assure themselves of getting something prior to his departure.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next