cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Jermaine O'Neal agrees to terms with the Celtics.

You gotta love a guy with "maine" in his name.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67978/20100708/jermaine_agrees_to_deal_with_boston/

Next!!

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:22 pm

It sounds like full MLE:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Next up - Kwame Brown for backup center?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Wow, pass the Geritol (and I know he's only 31 or 32). I recall so many people on this board posting, during the playoffs, that he was finished. I hope he's got a lot left. IF he starts with the Celtics, it should at least add an offensive dimension to the starting unit. I'm not so sure about the defense,but maybe it's not "Jermaine" to the discussion. Welcome and good luck, Jermaine.

At least Danny's moving swiftly, and I trust his judgment. It would appear that Sheed's decision should be next on the docket.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

What's funny about this is that now that Miami has Wade and Bosh and may get LeBron, they don't have a center anymore.

Oops.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Sam wrote:Wow, pass the Geritol (and I know he's only 31 or 32). I recall so many people on this board posting, during the playoffs, that he was finished. I hope he's got a lot left. IF he starts with the Celtics, it should at least add an offensive dimension to the starting unit. I'm not so sure about the defense,but maybe it's not "Jermaine" to the discussion. Welcome and good luck, Jermaine.

At least Danny's moving swiftly, and I trust his judgment. It would appear that Sheed's decision should be next on the docket.

Sam

Sam,

Jermaine may be old, but he doesn't make references to bombing Japan or straifing (sp?) the Bismark (also sp?).

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 5 Icon_razz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Jermaine's worst performances this season were against the Celts. He won't have to worry about that next year. He'll be an improvement at the 5 over Scal.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:43 pm

worcester wrote:Jermaine's worst performances this season were against the Celts. He won't have to worry about that next year. He'll be an improvement at the 5 over Scal.

worcester,

Especially since Scal didn't play 5.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Hope Jermaine is more then a blamk in a six shooter.
New team, new surrondings, ...........who knows, I'm not thrilled with it but he is a big and we need bigs.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Brain-dead cap question:

The signing of O'Neal to the full MLE doesn't affect any decision to re-sign Tony Allen, does it?

I used to know this answer, but my mind is hurting today.

Bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Scal is one of the few bigs we have and without Perk, Sheed or another replacement we might be looking in desperation at putting Scal's body at center.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:Brain-dead cap question:

The signing of O'Neal to the full MLE doesn't affect any decision to re-sign Tony Allen, does it?

Bob

Bob,

TA can be signed with Bird rights. The MLE signing does not affect him.

Jermaine has supposedly signed for 2 years. That will run through to the end of the KG contract.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Bob,

You may be forgetting the fairly long string of games (I believe during the championship season) when Scal filled in for Perk and the Celtics had a lopsided winning percentage. I believe it was during that streak when he flat-out stuffed Paul Gasol's layup attempt.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 5 Empty JERMAINE O'NEAL

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:17 pm

NOW A CELTIC, USED THE FULL MID LEVEL EXCEPTION
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Sam wrote:Bob,

You may be forgetting the fairly long string of games (I believe during the championship season) when Scal filled in for Perk and the Celtics had a lopsided winning percentage. I believe it was during that streak when he flat-out stuffed Paul Gasol's layup attempt.

Sam

sam,

I remember Scal starting in KG's place, but not for Perk.

Thanks,
bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:NOW A CELTIC, USED THE FULL MID LEVEL EXCEPTION

Rosalie,

I merged your post here with the rest of the free agent stuff, I hope you don't mind.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:21 pm

gyso wrote:

Bob

Bob,

Jermaine has supposedly signed for 2 years. That will run through to the end of the KG contract.

gyso

gyso,

Thanks, I thought that was the answer but I had a brain fart.

Kinda puts the kibosh on Nate, though. No Bird rights for him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:24 pm

That's fine Gyso!

So what is left for $ on the Celtics? How many spots left to fill? Who is Rondo's backup? Who is O'neal's backup? Who is backup to Paul and Ray?

questions, questions, questions
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:26 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Bob

Bob,

gyso

gyso,

bob

Bob,

As to why there are no Bird rights on Nate, I cannot answer that. Nate was on the Knicks for more than 3 years and we got him in a trade. Normally, Bird rights get traded with the player.

How did he lose the BR's? Does anyone know?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Bob,

That season, Scal filled in for both KG and Perk for extended periods.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi,
I wonder how Miami can afford LJ? Do they have enough cap room for DWade, Bosh and LJ?
Thank you very much,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Bob,

Actually, I believe both Leon and Scal filled in for Park. There was also a time when both Perk and KG were out, and those two guys were kept pretty busy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

gyso wrote:Jermaine O'Neal agrees to terms with the Celtics.

You gotta love a guy with "maine" in his name.

Next!!

gyso,

Somehow I knew you would make that connection!

I do wonder who's next, but I'm willing to bet they don't have Bangor, Lewiston, Portland or even Acadia or Camden in their name.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Bob

Bob,

gyso

gyso,

bob

Bob,

As to why there are no Bird rights on Nate, I cannot answer that. Nate was on the Knicks for more than 3 years and we got him in a trade. Normally, Bird rights get traded with the player.

gyso

gyso,

Nate relinquished his Bird Rights.
See below. It is in page 2 of this article.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/06/19/makeover_may_not_look_like_much/?page=2

"Robinson relinquished his Bird Rights to facilitate his trade out of New York, and he is only 26, so with a full training camp he could be an asset."
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm

tjmakz wrote:
gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Bob

Bob,

gyso

gyso,

bob

Bob,

gyso

gyso,

Nate relinquished his Bird Rights.
See below. It is in page 2 of this article.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/06/19/makeover_may_not_look_like_much/?page=2

"Robinson relinquished his Bird Rights to facilitate his trade out of New York, and he is only 26, so with a full training camp he could be an asset."

tj,

I understand the when but I don't understand the why. Bird rights come after one 3-year contract with the same team, three 1-year contracts with the same team or any combination that adds up to three years on the team.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q25

25. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team owns full Bird rights following the third season.

How doesn't that describe Nates circumstance at the trade deadline? Nate played for the Knicks since 05-06:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3947/career;_ylt=ArigTLdTl.aYEcHsCHnhjncqPaB4

Then there is this in the FAQ's:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87

87. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

Without the player's consent when the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, the team loses its Larry Bird/Early Bird rights, and the player is considered a Non-Bird free agent. Note: when there is an option year involved, they can get around this regulation by invoking the option prior to the trade.

tj, I just cannot put the two together and come up with an understanding of "Why?".

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next