gyso
birnam
22 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Kevin Durant - Page 2 Empty Re: Kevin Durant

Post by gyso Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:12 pm

The problem with trading Jaylen Brown for Kevin Durant

https://sports.yahoo.com/problem-trading-boston-celtics-jaylen-brown-for-brooklyn-nets-kevin-durant-191246792.html

Ben Rohrbach
Mon, July 25, 2022 at 3:12 PM

"But this is Kevin Durant."

That line from Shams Charania's report for The Athletic, which suggested the Boston Celtics offered Jaylen Brown as the centerpiece of a trade for the Brooklyn Nets superstar, is a common refrain in analysis of the one-time league MVP's value. In a vacuum, Durant is better than Brown and may have meant the difference between a six-game NBA Finals loss to the Golden State Warriors and the Celtics' 18th championship.

Of course Boston should gauge Brooklyn's interest in Brown, because this is Durant, the thinking goes.

The point of the game is to win championships, after all. Only, basketball isn't played in a vacuum, and not all titles carry the same weight. Tossing Brown aside for Durant is far from the no-brainer that line suggests, and the offer itself may have just cost the Celtics the best kind of title — one homegrown through adversity.

Brown did not appear pleased Monday, when he awoke to find his name linked to Durant in reports from Charania and ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The former reported a Celtics offer of Brown, Derrick White and a draft pick for Durant. The Nets reportedly rejected that proposal, countering with an audacious request of Brown, Marcus Smart, multiple picks "and potentially one more rotation player." And Brown shook his head.

Kevin Durant - Page 2 Jaylen10

The offer might be weeks old, as ESPN's Brian Windhorst posited, and all signs point to the Celtics being no closer than the Miami Heat, Toronto Raptors and others in Durant discussions that have gone dormant, but the chemistry mess it leaves behind could take awhile to reconcile, if it's able to be cleaned up at all.

The Celtics held Brown out of proposals for Jimmy Butler and Paul George in 2017, and Kawhi Leonard in 2019. He was the subject of rumors this past February, for which he told Yahoo Sports' Chris Haynes, "That trade talk was loud, and most of it came from Boston fans." Brown understands the business. He is a vice president in the National Basketball Players Association. He may not hold this offer against the Celtics, if they never meet Brooklyn's exorbitant asking price, but he might take it personally.

This is the same player who said in 2017, when fresh off the Eastern Conference finals Boston traded Isaiah Thomas, "It changes the whole dynamic, the whole culture. We'll see if it's for good or bad, time will tell. But it's still a little weird to me, to be honest, because when I came in everything they stressed was culture, environment, Celtic basketball. Now it's like what is the environment, the culture, what is Celtic basketball?"

He overcame that realization to reach three more conference finals alongside Jayson Tatum, but in between each were reminders of how delicate team dynamics can be. The returns from injury of Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward disrupted the chemistry Boston's young core built without them on a run to the 2018 conference finals. Irving and Al Horford fled following a second-round exit a year later. The Celtics returned to the 2020 conference finals, before "a heated confrontation" between Brown and Smart splintered the locker room.

Chemistry concerns followed them throughout the 2020-21 campaign, when veteran point guard Kemba Walker was still at the helm of the offense. It wasn't until this past season, when the Celtics entrusted their young core to contend, that Brown, Smart and Tatum found common ground, and even then it took months of summits between them to forge an identity. Some teams never discover theirs, and some have a lower ceiling, but this one came within five minutes of taking a 3-1 lead in the Finals and likely winning the title.

Composure stood between them and glory. They are here now, as favorites to win the 2023 championship without Durant, the hard way. Brown and Tatum arrived in Boston as draft picks received in a trade of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Smart was the result of the franchise's lone lottery season since dealing the stars of their last title team. Fans have invested a decade into their growth. Every dumbfounding defeat, every last-second victory, every heartbreaking loss, every comeback win, it made them Celtics, pure and simple.

These are not the 24-win 2006-07 Celtics, who were Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen away from contention. Boston can win as currently constituted, and that would be far more satisfying than winning with Durant.

"I feel really good about what this group can accomplish," Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens told NBC Sports Boston's Chris Forsberg last week, before the reports about Durant surfaced.

You cannot tell me the Los Angeles Lakers' 2020 championship in the bubble meant as much to their fans, who spent years slandering LeBron James before he delivered Anthony Davis and their 17th ring in a span of two years, as the 2021 and 2022 titles meant to fans of the Milwaukee Bucks and Golden State Warriors.

Days before the Bucks won for the first time in 50 years, Giannis Antetokounmpo told Khris Middleton, "The day you retire is going to be the toughest day in my career, because I’ve been with you the whole time, and it’s been an unbelievable journey." That's the stuff right there. That's everything you want from being a fan.

It's everything a player should want, too, ideally.

"You get goosebumps just thinking about all those snapshots and episodes that we went through to get back here, individually, collectively," Warriors star Stephen Curry said after winning again alongside Klay Thompson and Draymond Green — and without Durant. "That's why I said I think this championship hits different. That's why I have so many emotions, and still will, just because of what it took to get back here."

And the Celtics appear willing to exchange that for what will amount to slightly better odds at winning a championship in the next two years. There is still no guarantee Durant delivers a title. He will be 34 years old at the start of next season. He has missed 64 games to left leg injuries in the two years he has played since rupturing his right Achilles tendon. And the Celtics just watched his worst playoff outing since 2010.

Durant is a mercenary. At best, a championship with the Celtics cheapens the achievement for both him and Tatum. At worst, Durant's arrival as an alpha disrupts Tatum's development, relationships fracture, and Durant seeks his next move before his four-year deal is through, all leading into Tatum's 2025 free agency.

The flip side could be true, too. The Celtics may be convinced Brown will not re-sign when he becomes a free agent in 2024, and a deal for Durant could be a preemptive measure to ensure they seize this window before an inevitable breakup. That's not what any fan wants to believe. They like to think that players care as much about the collective climb to a championship as they do, but that's not always a player's priority.

It might also be difficult for Brown to turn down a supermax contract extension from the Celtics if he becomes eligible for one next year, which is entirely possible should they be a 60-win contender. They have to get there first, and that may take some mending fences in the aftermath of the recent trade discussions.

Brown and Durant should both understand: All it takes is one unhappy star (*cough* Kyrie Irving *cough*) to derail a title favorite, and everything can fracture from there. Where is the fan when it all falls apart? Their team is winless, possibly pick-less, desperate to draft two more stars for the long road back to contention.

The future is uncertain. The improved odds that come with Durant are a safeguard against that uncertainty, if winning is truly all that matters, but at what cost to everyone's appreciation of their accomplishment?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:33 pm

If true, I would break out laughing at such a sophomoric move by Brad.  Life is good, you made several moves for key players to make the Celtic contenders.  

Why chance this blowing up in your face.  I would laugh even harder if both Brown and Tatum bolt when their respective contracts are up and we end up with at best a sign and trade and an exemption which goes unused!

As I said earlier, it had to be either a leak from Brooklyn's side or just BS period!  No one knows the source of this rumor, nor has any person confirmed  they were in the room when the supposed offer by Brad was made?  Problem is, how does Brad deny and swear on a stack of bibles he never made an offer to Brooklyn, even if true in Brads defense?

This now turns into a he said > < he said dilemma where no matter what you do, the stain of doubt still lingers in peoples minds.

Brad should have stayed far away from this as much as possible if true, and if not Brad should have been on every sports talk show today throwing cold ice water on this ASAP!

This is a dish best served cold!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 pm

As much as I love Brown I choose to get out of my feelings.
Remember, Philly and Milwaukee got better this off season as well so even with our new additions we’re not a lock to get to the ECF.
It is my opinion that keeping the team as is gives us a very good chance of winning a chip this upcoming season and maybe the next-maybe. Keep in mind that Brown could bounce after 2 years.
If this deal was to go down with White and Brown and a pick or Pritchard out and KD in, I believe we would be heavy favorites to win a title for the next 3-4 years barring any major injuries.
I’d much rather we win the title with who we currently have but we’re talking about a top 25 player vs. a top 3 player. Again personal sentiment aside I would do the deal. As my Grandmother used to say, “Sorry, charge it to my head, not to my heart…

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:24 pm

112288 wrote:If true, I would break out laughing at such a sophomoric move by Brad.  Life is good, you made several moves for key players to make the Celtic contenders.  

Why chance this blowing up in your face.  I would laugh even harder if both Brown and Tatum bolt when their respective contracts are up and we end up with at best a sign and trade and an exemption which goes unused!

As I said earlier, it had to be either a leak from Brooklyn's side or just BS period!  No one knows the source of this rumor, nor has any person confirmed  they were in the room when the supposed offer by Brad was made?  Problem is, how does Brad deny and swear on a stack of bibles he never made an offer to Brooklyn, even if true in Brads defense?

This now turns into a he said > < he said dilemma where no matter what you do, the stain of doubt still lingers in peoples minds.

Brad should have stayed far away from this as much as possible if true, and if not Brad should have been on every sports talk show today throwing cold ice water on this ASAP!

If Brad offered Brown and/or called the Nets inquiring what the Nets were looking for he was only doing his job. Whether we agree with moving Brown or not, Brad has to do what he’s paid to do, to make this team better.

I personally don't think it s a ‘he said he said’ dilemma. I trust the source and believe Brad inquired and if he did he should say so if asked. If he lies which I don't think Brad would do, it would eventually get back to the players then he’s screwed. Lost of trust. Boy, ain’t no such thing as an off season in the NBA any more.. High Drama….

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:57 pm

Hi,
I'm in the camp of "NO". Ans this is a resounding, unequivocal NO.
I hope Brad is smart enough to avoid this huge mistake. If those reports are actually true.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:11 am

A lot of times we hear about trade discussions that include very specific details.  Sometimes they are off the mark.

I heard that half the NBA has inquired about Durant. That is understandable.  Anybody can be traded.  

The Nets are looking for a big haul.  

I hope that Brad will not up his offer if there was an offer that included Brown.

The Celtics should not be in a desperate state of mind.  Brad has assembled a legit contender and a top notch coaching staff.

Do not F it up.  

Solidly in the hell no camp.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:13 am

Welcome to the Hell No camp dboss.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:03 am

Ktron wrote:
112288 wrote:If true, I would break out laughing at such a sophomoric move by Brad.  Life is good, you made several moves for key players to make the Celtic contenders.  

If Brad offered Brown and/or called the Nets inquiring what the Nets were looking for he was only doing his job. Whether we agree with moving Brown or not, Brad has to do what he’s paid to do, to make this team better.

I personally don't think it s a ‘he said he said’ dilemma. I trust the source and believe Brad inquired and if he did he should say so if asked. If he lies which I don't think Brad would do, it would eventually get back to the players then he’s screwed. Lost of trust. Boy, ain’t no such thing as an off season in the NBA any more.. High Drama….

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:05 am

Ktron,

Yes it was Brads duties to inquire about Durant, but in the art of negotiations and because of the sensitive nature of such an inquiry and getting players pissed off, ya don't get specific with players you would offer.  Rather, Brad should have asked the Nets what they wanted for Durant first. Get the names of who they wanted and end the discussion.  Obviously Browns name would have came up, and that would be that, and our reply should have been no!  

But the opposite appeared to have occurred, Brooklyn must have asked for a proposal and Brad came back with his proposal that included Brown.  That is a BIG PROBLEM!  That opens up a pandoras box!   If I am Brown and I heard that my name was proposed in a trade, I would have been pissed.  Why did you not propose trading Tatum!  I am better or equal to him.  REMEMBER NBA players of today have big ego's and much more power then back when.  

If I was Brown I would bolt in 2 years.  He is a very intelligent person and likes the greater Boston area not for the food and the weather, but for the academic and intellectual atmosphere of Boston.  I would laugh if Brown signs in 2 years with Golden State where you have a 33 minute drive to Stanford University!

With his new management group, they will find a better place for Brown to make more money off the court.  Tatum is the face/brand of the Celtics and more and more you see him in more advertisements.  That has to get Brown a little pissed as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:19 am

As good as Durant is, and he's really good, he is now damaged goods on many levels.

For one, he still hasn't shaken (nor ever will) the GSW's "we can still win without KD" stigma or the "just how good is KD without a major assist" questions come up since he hasn't done a whole lot since dropping in on a powerhouse that was already winning before and after his arrival at GS. KD has two titles but every time they are bought up, they get the asterisk.

Boston made him look VERY OLD in the first round of the playoffs and perhaps made him look like he's now got one foot out the door or in the NBA grave as it were. Let's face it. For a guy as prominent and as destined for the first ballot Hall of Fame that KD is, Boston definitely threw water on that fire in four short games. Once the rest of the league picks up on what Boston did to KD and the Nets, he's a marked man. Bringing him to Boston won't change the outcome. "Makes you look like an a$$, Ed, is what it does." (Come on, worcester!! Always a fave!!)

Finally, no telling when that final, send me to the glue factory injury (thinking of Shaq here) is coming but we know it typically happens in the mid-30's. Hmmmmm. And to trade away a stud in his mid-20's plus adding everything/everyone else, it seems to go against everything Brad has done so skillfully up to this point. Yes, he's doing his job. Checking under every rock. Can't blame him for dreaming.

BKN needs to realize what they've got altogether and understand it's a match strike away from the ever popular but always annoying flaming bag o' poo that they themselves created.

Have to agree, this all definitely looks like the House of Cards in Brooklyn is about to fall with a 5th Grade move like this.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:04 am

dbrown4 wrote:As good as Durant is, and he's really good, he is now damaged goods on many levels.  

For one, he still hasn't shaken (nor ever will) the GSW's "we can still win without KD" stigma or the "just how good is KD without a major assist" questions come up since he hasn't done a whole lot since dropping in on a powerhouse that was already winning before and after his arrival at GS.  KD has two titles but every time they are bought up, they get the asterisk.

Boston made him look VERY OLD in the first round of the playoffs and perhaps made him look like he's now got one foot out the door or in the NBA grave as it were.  Let's face it.  For a guy as prominent and as destined for the first ballot Hall of Fame that KD is, Boston definitely threw water on that fire in four short games.  Once the rest of the league picks up on what Boston did to KD and the Nets, he's a marked man.  Bringing him to Boston won't change the outcome.  "Makes you look like an a$$, Ed, is what it does."  (Come on, worcester!! Always a fave!!)

Finally, no telling when that final, send me to the glue factory injury (thinking of Shaq here) is coming but we know it typically happens in the mid-30's.  Hmmmmm.  And to trade away a stud in his mid-20's plus adding everything/everyone else, it seems to go against everything Brad has done so skillfully up to this point.  Yes, he's doing his job.  Checking under every rock.  Can't blame him for dreaming.  

BKN needs to realize what they've got altogether and understand it's a match strike away from the ever popular but always annoying flaming bag o' poo that they themselves created.  

Have to agree, this all definitely looks like the House of Cards in Brooklyn is about to fall with a 5th Grade move like this.

db        

+1

Katie has never been happy, he left Thunder up 3-1 because he couldn’t close, to go a stacked championship team, where all he had to do was play off Klay and Steph and hit open looks. Every pundit ripped him for the lamest move by a top elite player ever, like Dr J joining the Celtics or Larry joining Magic and Lakers after a playoff loss. Pathetic. Then when he got tired of no one giving him credit for winning on an over stacked team and constantly getting ripped on social media during that run and getting ripped further by Warrior fans his last year there for not resigning with them, ex Draymond Green calling him out; he left again to team up with me, myself and I, flat earth Kyrie. We just saw how that worked out, I will give him credit, he still tried to carry that franchise thru Kyries shenanigans. So I don’t like his choices, his choices reflect his character, Jaylen has impeccable character from what I have seen so far. Bottomline you don’t trade a 25 year old stud like player you have built your franchise around, for an aging injury prone 34 year old.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:44 am

What are Vegas bettors saying about the odds of trading Jaylen Brown for Kevin Durant?
Nothing yet apparently.

When Jaylen tweets "smh", what does that mean?

Here it means Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:50 am

worcester wrote:What are Vegas bettors saying about the odds of trading Jaylen Brown for Kevin Durant?
Nothing yet apparently.

When Jaylen tweets "smh", what does that mean?

Here it means Sarasota Memorial Hospital.

worcester,

SMH = "Shaking My Head".

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:31 am

Ktron wrote:As much as I love Brown I choose to get out of my feelings.
Remember, Philly and Milwaukee got better this off season as well so even with our new additions we’re not a lock to get to the ECF.
It is my opinion that keeping the team as is gives us a very good chance of winning a chip this upcoming season and maybe the next-maybe. Keep in mind that Brown could bounce after 2 years.
If this deal was to go down with White and Brown and a pick or Pritchard out and KD in, I believe we would be heavy favorites to win a title for the next 3-4 years barring any major injuries.
I’d much rather we win the title with who we currently have but we’re talking about a top 25 player vs. a top 3 player. Again personal sentiment aside I would do the deal. As my Grandmother used to say, “Sorry, charge it to my head, not to my heart…

Probably the most impartial statement I've yet to see anywhere on this topic.

Balanced opinion combined with a little factual information.

Can we get the evening news to do that?

(Grandma usually knows best.)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:18 pm

Another Walter Cronkite!

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm

This is an excerpt from a MassLive article:

After it was revealed the C's offered Brown, Derrick White and a draft pick to the Brooklyn Nets in exchange for Durant, Brown tweeted "smh," aka "shaking my head." Naturally, that led many to believe the 25-year-old is displeased with the organization for including him in a potential deal.

Mark Murphy of The Boston Herald clarified Brown's reaction, quoting a source who stated Brown "loves it in Boston" and is "looking forward to coming back." The Athletic's Shams Charania shed more light on how the Celtics star feels toward the organization right about now.

"I haven’t heard anything about any type of displeasure that he’s had with the organization,” Charania said on NBC Sports Boston's Early Edition. “In these last two, three years you’ve seen a lot of growth in the organization when it comes to Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart.

"Just a couple years ago in the bubble, they had some very testy moments. So for them to go from that to being a couple wins away from an NBA Finals championship speaks to the growth of the organization.

"But I think overall, this is a team that I think has grown a lot and has a lot of growing to do. But I haven’t heard of any significant displeasure from Jaylen Brown or any type of requests from his side or anything like that, as of right now."

Bob
MY NOTE:  Murphy and Shams are saying the same thing.  There is no reason to believe, or at least no evidence to suggest the conclusion, that Jaylen wants to leave Boston.  Their unanimity in that makes me feel better, especially since Shams is not a Celtic homie.  What this would boil down to, therefore, is if Brad and Wyc were agreed on this as being a plus for the team and not as an attempt to avoid a future contract negotiation that's 2 years out anyway.  

This is what Brad said at the intro conference for Gallinari and Brogdon:  Speaking after the Celtics' introductory press conference for Malcolm Brogdon and Danilo Gallinari earlier this month, the Celtics president of basketball operations said he'd be content if Boston opened the season with its current roster and potentially one or two end-of-the-bench additions.  "I think there may be a positional need or two that we have to add, and we've got several people we're looking at to do that. We have to add without taking away," Stevens told Forsberg, as seen in the video below.  

https://twitter.com/i/status/1551574324993310721

Adding a little tick-tock to this:  the public learned KD told Brooklyn he wanted a trade on roughly July 1st.  The press conference for Brogdon and Gallinari, where Brad made the above statements, took place on July 12th.  So Brad knew about the opportunity to get KD for almost 2 weeks before he said he's comfortable with the team we have with a little more depth.

"We have to add without taking away".  That sounds like building out the bottom half of the bench (the addition of Brogdon and Gallo, and with Grant and Pritchard already here, means we're really talking about 10-14 or 15).  That doesn't sound like a motivated buyer to me, certainly not one that would need to gut the team's core to get it done.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:27 pm

112288 wrote:Ktron,

Yes it was Brads duties to inquire about Durant, but in the art of negotiations and because of the sensitive nature of such an inquiry and getting players pissed off, ya don't get specific with players you would offer.  Rather, Brad should have asked the Nets what they wanted for Durant first. Get the names of who they wanted and end the discussion.  Obviously Browns name would have came up, and that would be that, and our reply should have been no!  

But the opposite appeared to have occurred, Brooklyn must have asked for a proposal and Brad came back with his proposal that included Brown.  That is a BIG PROBLEM!  That opens up a pandoras box!   If I am Brown and I heard that my name was proposed in a trade, I would have been pissed.  Why did you not propose trading Tatum!  I am better or equal to him.  REMEMBER NBA players of today have big ego's and much more power then back when.  

If I was Brown I would bolt in 2 years.  He is a very intelligent person and likes the greater Boston area not for the food and the weather, but for the academic and intellectual atmosphere of Boston.  I would laugh if Brown signs in 2 years with Golden State where you have a 33 minute drive to Stanford University!

With his new management group, they will find a better place for Brown to make more money off the court.  Tatum is the face/brand of the Celtics and more and more you see him in more advertisements.  That has to get Brown a little pissed as well.

None us know how the conversation went between Boston and Brooklyn. We don't know if Brad initially offered Brown up or not.
We don't know who brought Browns name up first so what you’re implying is based on speculation.
The only thing I do know for certain is that the conversation took place 3 weeks ago and that ALL 29 teams have inquired.

I agree. Players have egos and if I was a player even of Brown’s stature I would not like it either. I’m sure Brown understands it but he can’t be overjoyed over his name coming up all the time.

Also, I hear folks say that JB should take it as a compliment that he’s mentioned in the conversation when it comes to being exchanged for the KD, Leonard and AD types. Thats easy to say when your not the one who’s name keeps coming up. You very rarely hear a player or former player say that. Its usually a talking head.
I don’t think that Brown takes it as a compliment. Someone made the point that if its a compliment then why hasn’t Tatum been mentioned and and paid a compliment ? If Brown takes it as a compliment should Tatum take it as an insult that he’s not being mentioned? It’s silly.

Personally, I do believe that Brown is seriously thinking about walking after his deal is up but he should only do that because he’s not happy in Boston and he wants to go play somewhere else. What he should not do is let his name coming up all the time be the driving force in why he wants out. He could go somewhere else and have his name brought up again. There’s no guarantees.
Judging from what I am reading here, most of the forum is against trading Brown. I’ve given my opinion as well.
Again, I don’t think its going to happen but we’ll know soon enough.

Last edited by Ktron on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:51 pm

Ktron,
I don't think JB'd want to leave when Boston wins championship in the next 2 years. Especially considering that he'll be one of the main guys getting #18 and (hopefully) #19.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:06 pm

dbrown4 wrote:As good as Durant is, and he's really good, he is now damaged goods on many levels.  

For one, he still hasn't shaken (nor ever will) the GSW's "we can still win without KD" stigma or the "just how good is KD without a major assist" questions come up since he hasn't done a whole lot since dropping in on a powerhouse that was already winning before and after his arrival at GS.  KD has two titles but every time they are bought up, they get the asterisk.

Boston made him look VERY OLD in the first round of the playoffs and perhaps made him look like he's now got one foot out the door or in the NBA grave as it were.  Let's face it.  For a guy as prominent and as destined for the first ballot Hall of Fame that KD is, Boston definitely threw water on that fire in four short games.  Once the rest of the league picks up on what Boston did to KD and the Nets, he's a marked man.  Bringing him to Boston won't change the outcome.  "Makes you look like an a$$, Ed, is what it does."  (Come on, worcester!! Always a fave!!)

Finally, no telling when that final, send me to the glue factory injury (thinking of Shaq here) is coming but we know it typically happens in the mid-30's.  Hmmmmm.  And to trade away a stud in his mid-20's plus adding everything/everyone else, it seems to go against everything Brad has done so skillfully up to this point.  Yes, he's doing his job.  Checking under every rock.  Can't blame him for dreaming.  

db        

Cmon D, like many here, you don’t think its a good deal for Boston and I get it but to say KD is headed for the glue factory is a bit overreaching. No he did not look good against us in the playoffs but I wouldn't bet my mortgage that KD is done. Did he not average around 30 ppg last season? He fell off his horse in the playoffs but whoooaa hold up. Lets not call the nursing home yet.

I also wouldn't minimize the impact he had at Golden State. He did win 2 final MVP’s-and he should have.
Durant is still one of the top players in the NBA and one of the greatest to ever do it. Its one thing not to like him but can we really say that he’s not worthy of taking a look at ? I would not let that playoff series color my assessment of KD. In my opinion, He still has a whole lot left to give and can help if not lead a team to a title. He could get injured but so can everyone else age notwithstanding we’ve seen a lot of players go down before they turn 30.
I do question some of KD’s choices(GS and Kyrie) but I don't question his talent. If anyone should be sideswiped for moving to a better team it should be LeBron. He not only does that, he picks the parts, gets coaches and other players fired and traded and still claims he’s the King.

This deal might never get done and I wont be mad at it. As I said, I would like to see us win a title with our current Roster but reality also plays in here. That reality is that we have won 1- ONE title in 36 years. ONE. Your’s and our sentiments need to be put aside. Emotions as well. It behooves ownership and the front office to do what ever they can to do something about that whether we agree with a move or not.
The one thing we can agree on is that we want #18.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:06 pm

sinus007 wrote:Ktron,
I don't think JB'd want to leave when Boston wins championship in the next 2 years. Especially considering that he'll be one of the main guys getting #18 and (hopefully) #19.

AK
bounce

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:07 pm

Kyron

Speculation or no speculation Of who said what first, the one thing Brad should never done first or last was to give to Brooklyn any players name especially Brown until he heard what Brooklyn wanted from the Celtics.
And when he heard the demands from Brooklyn, you turn and walk away. Because if It leaked which it has, it’s a live ticking bomb.
The situation now becomes poison. So what if Brown now comes out and asks for a trade. Now what?!!! And Brooklyn now in the drivers seat says to Brad great we will deal but Smart must be included. You now have a big ugly mess. Now you have to trade Brown for an asset and that asset is not a generational player but only a good player. Or you go with the demand of Brooklyn and trade the #1 defensive star in the league as well to Brooklyn.

Since Brad had issues no statement, it must be true and Brad showed his hand and offered up Browns name.

This becomes a total cluster F……………!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:29 pm

112288 wrote:Kyron

Speculation or no speculation Of who said what first, the one thing Brad should never done first or last was to give to Brooklyn any players name especially Brown until he heard what Brooklyn wanted from the Celtics.  
And when he heard the demands from Brooklyn, you turn and walk away. Because if It leaked which it has, it’s a live ticking bomb.  
The situation now becomes poison.   So what if Brown now comes out and asks for a trade. Now what?!!!   And Brooklyn now in the drivers seat says to Brad great we will deal but Smart must be included.   You now have a big ugly mess.  Now you have to trade Brown for an asset and that asset is not a generational player but only  a good player.  Or you go with the demand of Brooklyn and trade the #1 defensive star in the league as well to Brooklyn.

Since Brad had issues no statement, it must be true and Brad showed his hand and offered up Browns name.  

This becomes a total cluster F……………!

Again, we don't know what or what wasn’t said between both parties. I am confused as to how you negotiate and not name names. The scenario you spelled out would have Brad walking away if Brooklyn brought brown’s name up. I’m not sure if thats how FO people negotiate but..if you’re on point then maybe Brad was not adverse to including Brown. I took what Brad said about subtracting players with a grain of salt. That was classic corporate speak. We’ll never know what really went on between the 2 parties. All we can do is wait…

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:50 pm

I Watched john Goodman last night on tv. the one thing he brought up was that, as much as he has always liked Durant, he wondered if he had the heart to play the way he had years before. After he said it, I thought that this is the one thing no one has mentioned.God, I wish this was put to rest by Brad, i am sick of it all
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:22 pm

Ktron

I do this professionally as a private equity man negotiating business structures and financing. When going into a discussion that may be sensitive, you must know what you want to get revealed by the other party and what you do not want to reveal to them until you get the lay of the land of the topic being discussed and how your opponent is answering your questions and what they are revealing and not revealing.

But to give you a simple answer using real estate as an example, you go to buy a Building your group wants to buy. You ask straight out how much do you want for the building, are there any structural problems, any non conforming issues, any liens, brown field issues, bankruptcy etc. and then you listen and get an answer. You reveal nothing about what you are willing to pay for the property, what problems you can fix if you buy it and problems you will walk away. So the seller knows nothing about what you are willing to pay or not pay. Hers is where the fun begins. By not revealing anything about what may turn you on or off with problems etc you can use the problems to begin a counter negotiation tactic to hammer the seller on price if you want the building. Or if not you walk away with no counter offer. Chances are you will have the seller chasing you!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:00 pm

My tax lawyer and I were once partners on two marginally producing gas wells in PA. Someone approached us about buying them. My partner Vince Scully was a true financial genius, and he told me NOT to mention what we would be willing to take to sell both wells (actually $50k). He asked the buyer what he wanted to pay for the wells. The guy said $150k. Vince said, "Ok. We can go with that."

So to echo your approach 112288, yes, it is best to let the other guy reveal his position without disclosing yours.

By the way, Vince played shortstop at Fordham U. The second baseman on his team was Vin Scully! Yes, the Vin Scully who went on to be a HOF baseball announcer.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next