bobheckler
gyso
birnam
22 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Kevin Durant - Page 4 Empty Re: Kevin Durant

Post by gyso Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 pm

One unintended consequence about this trade that I haven't read here, which surprises me, is that after we trade away our depth and defensive identity to get KD, we would in for some of the most boring iso ball that you could ever imagine.

Count me out.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:06 pm

And who is to say KD would stay in Boston?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:19 am

Celtics journalist emeritus Bob Ryan is all the way out on trading Jaylen Brown for Kevin Durant

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-journalist-emeritus-bob-ryan-070003009.html

There are a growing number of voices souring on the idea of trading star Boston Celtics wing Jaylen Brown (and other players and assets) for Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant in a trade rumored to have been discussed by the two ball clubs in recent weeks.

From Tim Bontemps to Tim Eisen, all the way to Celtics champ Brian Scalabrine, there is no shortage of skeptical or even opposed analysts who dislike the deal. Now throwing their hat in the same proverbial ring is CLNS Media’s Bob Ryan. Yet another voice suggesting that the Celtics are better off with Jaylen Brown in the long AND short term rather than Durant, the Boston sports journalist emeritus laid out why he does not support such a trade in a recent podcast.

Check out the CLNS Media “Ryan and Goodman” pod embedded below to hear Ryan explain his thinking.

Check out the Celtics Lab podcast on:

Apple Podcasts:

https://apple.co/3zBKQY6

Spotify:

https://spoti.fi/3GfUPFi

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:56 pm

Durant to me is that splendid classic car that you would like to take out on the road other than on a Sunday afternoon.  The car is still mechanically sound but you did have to rebuild the engine and the transmission is slipping just a bit.  After all this car has been on the road for 13 years and sat in the garage for a full year so you expect less than optimal performance.

Are you ready to trade in your car for a more expensive model that  has a ton of miles on it even though your car is listed as a luxury model with so many features that you have not even used them yet?

Your car has exceeded expectation and seems to get better.  The engine did not break in until you hit 50,000 and now you only have 63,000 miles on the odometer.  That beautiful classic is already up to 150,000 miles and may or not get you to where you need to go year after year. Your car has an expected shelf life that far exceeds that old classic model.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:33 pm

Excellent analogy, dboss.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:55 pm

At the end of the above podcast, they talk about Maine.  Jeff Goodman says that while on vacation, he saw "the best basketball player from Maine".  Some guy named Cooper Flagg, a 15 year old 6'-8" player.  Jeff wanted to look up where he is from, and Gary kind of said that Jeff didn't have to.  Jeff insisted and it turns out that he comes from Newport, ME and he goes to Nokomis High School.  There was talk that he went to MCI, but they no longer attract high quality basketball players after they closed the post-grad program.

Newport is a couple towns away from my second hometown.  They were rivals with my high school, so I'm glad Jeff took the time to come up with the answer.  I've never heard of Cooper Flagg, but I did know the answer to the next question, "Who was the previous best basketball player from Maine".  They went back and forth naming this guy or that guy, then Bob Ryan spoke the truth.

He said, "If you're from Maine, there is only one answer.  Cindy Blodgett."  She was so big, even in high school. I went to a game or two of hers at Lawrence High School in Fairfield, Maine and it was SRO.  I believe it was during her senior year.

I drove past Cindy's high school on my way to work for over ten years.  My office was about a quarter mile or so away.  This was while she went to high school there and later when she went to University of Maine (Orono).  She took UMO (as it used to be called) to the NCAA playoffs all four years.  They (we, as I considered UMO to be at the time) lost to Connecticut one year.  That was a really big game for us Maine-iacs!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_Blodgett

Gary Tanguay is also from Maine, but his home town wasn't near mine.  I believe he went to UMO as well.  I also went to UMO, at least for one year.  I lived in the same dorm complex that Stephen King included in Hearts in Atlantis.  Great book, the movie gets an Incomplete, because it is just that.  The book has two separate parts and the movie only covers the second part.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:04 pm

dboss wrote:Durant to me is that splendid classic car that you would like to take out on the road other than on a Sunday afternoon.  The car is still mechanically sound but you did have to rebuild the engine and the transmission is slipping just a bit.  After all this car has been on the road for 13 years and sat in the garage for a full year so you expect less than optimal performance.

Are you ready to trade in your car for a more expensive model that  has a ton of miles on it even though your car is listed as a luxury model with so many features that you have not even used them yet?

Your car has exceeded expectation and seems to get better.  The engine did not break in until you hit 50,000 and now you only have 63,000 miles on the odometer.  That beautiful classic is already up to 150,000 miles and may or not get you to where you need to go year after year.  Your car has an expected shelf life that far exceeds that old classic model.

You are describing my old '69 Chevelle. I owned it when it was over ten years old. I loved how it looked, how it sounded, it was fun to drive. To be honest, I prefer my current Ford Fusion plug-in. It has a lot more features, some I haven't even used yet.

Great real world analogy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 pm

dboss wrote:Durant to me is that splendid classic car that you would like to take out on the road other than on a Sunday afternoon.  The car is still mechanically sound but you did have to rebuild the engine and the transmission is slipping just a bit.  After all this car has been on the road for 13 years and sat in the garage for a full year so you expect less than optimal performance.

Your car has exceeded expectation and seems to get better.  The engine did not break in until you hit 50,000 and now you only have 63,000 miles on the odometer.  That beautiful classic is already up to 150,000 miles and may or not get you to where you need to go year after year.  Your car has an expected shelf life that far exceeds that old classic model.

You.Are.Tripping! (Get it?) Very Happy

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:00 pm

gyso wrote:At the end of the above podcast, they talk about Maine.  Jeff Goodman says that while on vacation, he saw "the best basketball player from Maine".  Some guy named Cooper Flagg, a 15 year old 6'-8" player.  Jeff wanted to look up where he is from, and Gary kind of said that Jeff didn't have to.  Jeff insisted and it turns out that he comes from Newport, ME and he goes to Nokomis High School.  There was talk that he went to MCI, but they no longer attract high quality basketball players after they closed the post-grad program.

Newport is a couple towns away from my second hometown.  They were rivals with my high school, so I'm glad Jeff took the time to come up with the answer.  I've never heard of Cooper Flagg, but I did know the answer to the next question, "Who was the previous best basketball player from Maine".  They went back and forth naming this guy or that guy, then Bob Ryan spoke the truth.

He said, "If you're from Maine, there is only one answer.  Cindy Blodgett."  She was so big, even in high school. I went to a game or two of hers at Lawrence High School in Fairfield, Maine and it was SRO.  I believe it was during her senior year.

I drove past Cindy's high school on my way to work for over ten years.  My office was about a quarter mile or so away.  This was while she went to high school there and later when she went to University of Maine (Orono).  She took UMO (as it used to be called) to the NCAA playoffs all four years.  They (we, as I considered UMO to be at the time) lost to Connecticut one year.  That was a really big game for us Maine-iacs!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_Blodgett

Gary Tanguay is also from Maine, but his home town wasn't near mine.  I believe he went to UMO as well.  I also went to UMO, at least for one year.  I lived in the same dorm complex that Stephen King included in Hearts in Atlantis.  Great book, the movie gets an Incomplete, because it is just that.  The book has two separate parts and the movie only covers the second part.
Beautiful country especially this time of year. I consulted a radio station there back in 93. WZON (a sports station at the time) Stephen King owned it, got rid of it (so he thought) and eventually it landed back into his hands . Long (too long for here) and very interesting story..

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:28 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/could-jaylen-brown-kevin-durant-003433803.html

Could the Jaylen Brown-Kevin Durant trade rumor saga finally be coming to an end for the Boston Celtics?

Justin Quinn
Tue, August 2, 2022 at 5:34 PM·3 min read

Could the Boston Celtics saga surrounding rumors the team had been in talks with Brooklyn Nets about trading star Celtics wing Jaylen Brown for veteran forward Kevin Durant finally be coming to an end?  According to new reporting from Heavy’s Steve Bulpett, the Nets’ front office will meet with Durant this week, though precisely what the purposes of that meeting might be remain unknown.

Per Bulpett’s anonymous league executive source, KD is “going to meet with the owner this week” regarding things the Nets star is unhappy about. “I’m not sure any of that gets fixed here,” they added. “But maybe it does.”

So where, exactly, does Boston fit into all of this?

Evidently, the entire process surrounding Durant’s trade request and how the Nets have dealt with it has ruffled feathers in other front offices with the Celtics being tied to Brooklyn via the leak about Brown.

“I think there’s some teams that aren’t very happy that when they talk to Brooklyn it gets in the papers,” related a personnel executive of a team other than Boston. “That doesn’t help. I’ve talked with a couple of teams that are not happy with the rumors that creep out of there through all this.”

“It’s not a good way to do business,” they suggested.

Bulpett himself pondered if Brooklyn’s intentions might also be to purposefully damage the Celtics’ connection with Brown.

“That’s probably why they won’t get anything done and why they haven’t had any conversations for a while,” offered another unnamed source. “I don’t think they are going to get anything done with Boston.”

Could this all have been a ploy to get Durant to return to the team after the series of in-season trades to acquire then move James Harden having left the Nets with an incomplete roster by the time the postseason had arrived?

It’s not common for teams to leak misinformation with the explicit intent of harming rivals in the way Bulpett questions.

But, it’s also not unheard of — and if it happened to fall in line with their goals of keeping the team together, it could actually make a fair amount of sense.

On the Celtics side of things, it would be something of a reprieve for fans eager to see what a bolstered version of last season’s Finals squad can do with the addition of Malcolm Brogdon and Danilo Gallinari.

As for ties between Boston’s front office and Brown, they have weathered similar situations in the past.

If it ultimately pans out that the Celtics never had serious interest in moving on from the Georgia native, this might all appear to be much ado about nothing not too long in the future.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Part of the problem is that in addition to being the Nets' GM Sean Marks has also moonlighted an NBA Insider, meaning he's into media attention.  There are rumors out now that his contract has been extended.  There is pushback on that rumor, saying it's not true.  

He told the NY Post in May 2022 that the Nets culture has to be "driven by the players".  That's what got you in trouble in the first place, Sean.  That's why you've got Kyrie and KD saying they don't need a head coach.  That's why you've got Kyrie saying he's committed to "managing this franchise".  He not "getting with the program", he thinks it's his program and everybody should fall in line with him.  You've got players, who will come and go, establishing the franchise's culture and not the front office (meaning YOU) or the coaching staff.  No wonder there's doubt about your contract renewal.  Brad had no problem getting renewed when he was coaching, did he?  In fact, Wyc and Pags reupped him well before the end of every one of his contracts.  That's because Brad bought into the Celtic culture whole hog, not the other way around.  We didn't draft Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart to build the Celtic culture, we drafted them because we thought they could become Celtics.  That infers there is a cultural destination already established.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/11/sean-marks-nets-culture-needs-to-be-driven-by-players/

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:18 pm

Are you sure that you don't have Sean Marks mixed up with Bobby Marks as an NBA Insider?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:35 pm

This stupid story has run it's course. I could care less where KD ends up, there was a book written years ago, maybe he should read it...'WHEREVER YOU GO, YOU ARE THERE" You cannot run away from yourself. My guess is, like his restless, boring, arrogant teammate. He will never be happy wherever he lands. He will be searching for happiness the rest of his career along with the moron he signed sith
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:36 pm

Ktron wrote:Are you sure that you don't have Sean Marks mixed up with Bobby Marks as an NBA Insider?

ktron,

I probably do.  I'm mad as f**k at him for playing this game and possibly creating a rift between Jaylen and the Celtics for his own BS.  My apology to Bobby Marks for the tarring and feathering.  To avoid further confustion SEAN Marks needs to change his name.  I understand Shicklegruber is available.

Woo BABY!!  I'm on a roll now...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:37 pm

This stupid story has run it's course.  I could care less where KD ends up,  there was a book written years ago, maybe he should read it...'WHEREVER YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE""   You cannot run away from yourself.  My guess is, like his restless, boring, arrogant teammate. He will never be happy wherever he lands. He will be searching for happiness the rest of his career along with the moron he signed with
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:47 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:Are you sure that you don't have Sean Marks mixed up with Bobby Marks as an NBA Insider?

ktron,

I probably do.  I'm mad as f**k at him for playing this game and possibly creating a rift between Jaylen and the Celtics for his own BS.  My apology to Bobby Marks for the tarring and feathering.  To avoid further confustion SEAN Marks needs to change his name.  I understand Shicklegruber is available.

Woo BABY!!  I'm on a roll now...

Bob

LOL, Yeah Sean is playing games but he’ll be gone from site soon. Meanwhile, we’ll be rolling toward #18

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:29 pm

Steve Bulpett, who was covering the Celtics for the graveyard known as the Boston Herald since before the Earth cooled and is extremely well-connected, is reporting for Heavy.com that the offer of Jaylen Brown,  Derrick White and a 1st round pick was never on the table.

So the only thing that came out of this is the demolition of Sean Shicklegruber's reputation.

Works for me.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-other-teams-not-willing-120041037.html

Report: Other teams not willing to facilitate Kevin Durant trade

Kurt Helin
Fri, August 5, 2022 at 8:00 AM

Kevin Durant trade talks have stalled out. The most common reason given for the slow pace is teams that have seriously engaged with the Nets — Miami, Boston, Phoenix (though less with the Suns after they matched the Deandre Ayton offer) — have not been willing to meet Brooklyn’s high asking price for the former MVP. Those teams want to trade for Durant to contend, but the Nets asking price would strip the rosters too far down.

Why not bring in a third or maybe fourth team to help facilitate a trade? Because teams don’t want to help out, reports Ian Begley of SNY.TV.

Part of the pessimism stemmed from the idea that, as of last month, there was little appetite in the market for teams to serve as a third or fourth team to facilitate a Durant trade.

“No one wants to help (Brooklyn get a deal done),” one team remarked.

I’m skeptical of this — teams may not want to help, but they will once the price is right for them.

Maybe that means two first-round picks to a team with cap space — the Spurs or Pacers, Utah could join them after veterans are traded — to jump in and take on a contract, but those teams aren’t holding out just because they don’t want the Nets or some other team to succeed. This isn’t personal, it’s business. Make it well worth their while and they will help, but they will not do Durant and other teams a favor.

All has been quiet on the Durant front for weeks now. Maybe that will change as we get to the start of training camp — will Durant show up for the Nets camp? What about Kyrie Irving? — but right now there is no pressure and little motivation for teams to improve their offers and re-engage with Brooklyn.

Bob
MY NOTE:  In other words, Sean Marks' requirements for a deal to get done are sooo steep that for the team trading for KD to also have to give up something to the 3rd team to grease the deal makes it even more ridiculous.  KD looks like a flake, Sean Marks looks like an untrustworthy business colleague and Kyrie thinks it's his franchise even though Sean Marks is having trouble giving him away.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15 am

Sooner or later Sean Marks and the Nets organization along with Kevin Durant will come to the conclusion that no team of consequence is looking to gut their team for KD.  

His so-called preferred destinations are hogtied and are not able to move one of their best players directly to the Nets.

When the season starts I think KD will remain in Brooklyn.  It is in his interest and the Nets' interest to work something out.  

The Celtics should stay away from the scene of this trainwreck.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm

Somebody should then tell Perk to shut the hell up. He was all over the plac last night saying that the Celtics have no choice noq, they have to trade Jaylen Brown, He can deny all he wants but he has been on this kick for months now. just trying to build a bigger name for himself. tired of his foolishness
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm

Somebody should then tell Perk to shut the hell up. He was all over the plac last night saying that the Celtics have no choice noq, they have to trade Jaylen Brown, He can deny all he wants but he has been on this kick for months now. just trying to build a bigger name for himself. tired of his foolishness
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:53 pm

Somebody should then tell Perk to shut the hell up.  He was all over the plac last night saying that the Celtics have no choice noq, they have to trade Jaylen Brown,  He can deny all he wants but he has been on this kick for months now.  just trying to build a bigger name for himself.  tired of his foolishness
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:53 pm

Somebody should then tell Perk to shut the hell up.  He was all over the plac last night saying that the Celtics have no choice noq, they have to trade Jaylen Brown,  He can deny all he wants but he has been on this kick for months now.  just trying to build a bigger name for himself.  tired of his foolishness
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:59 pm

dboss wrote:Sooner or later Sean Marks and the Nets organization along with Kevin Durant will come to the conclusion that no team of consequence is looking to gut their team for KD.  

His so-called preferred destinations are hogtied and are not able to move one of their best players directly to the Nets.

When the season starts I think KD will remain in Brooklyn.  It is in his interest and the Nets' interest to work something out.  

I agree 100%.

The only thing that would make this sweeter is if it was happening to the Lakers. They have their own brand of trainwreck going on, so it's all good.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Somebody should then tell Perk to shut the hell up.  He was all over the plac last night saying that the Celtics have no choice noq, they have to trade Jaylen Brown,  He can deny all he wants but he has been on this kick for months now.  just trying to build a bigger name for himself.  tired of his foolishness

+1

He’s turned into an embarrassment, like we should trade Jaylen, one of our cornerstones, a player every team wants because some GM leaked bullsh!t to the media….wish he would stop being such a dumb a$$ buffalo head.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 pm

dboss wrote:Sooner or later Sean Marks and the Nets organization along with Kevin Durant will come to the conclusion that no team of consequence is looking to gut their team for KD.  

In 2 years he’ll be 36, at that age Kobe and Pierce were pretty much done, I don’t see him aging as well as Lebron. What leverage do they think they have demanding Brown and Smart or Siakim and Barnes from Raptors? Good luck with that, and if Katie isn’t happy at his next landing spot, we know what she does….it’s always about me, myself and I and Kyrie😂😂😂😂😅😅😝😝🤓😎 can’t make this sh!t up…???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next