Sam
Outside
sinus007
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

RUMOR RAY ALLEN WANTS BACK INTO BOSTON - Page 2 Empty Re: RUMOR RAY ALLEN WANTS BACK INTO BOSTON

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm

gyso wrote:bob h,

The two situations (TA and RA) are very different. The only thing that was "just like Ray" was that the Celtics made both players an offer and they both left.

You may have to remind me for how much and how many years the offers were for TA, because (as far as I can remember) I didn't think the offers were substantially different.

TA wasn't a keystone player and he didn't go to a arch-rival. I really wasn't all that upset that TA left.

gyso

gyso,

He gave us his all when he was here, playing through ankles with bone-spurs.

You're upset he went to Miami. Fair enough, but he could only go where they wanted him and the only two viable destinations for him were Boston and Miami. It's not like every team in the league was breaking down his 37 year old door. You're also upset that he was more desirable than Tony, I think. As far as the offers not being so different, so what? We got no hometown discount from Tony after sticking with him for years with his injuries and bone-headed lifestyle. He left because his ego demanded that he not wait behind Paul Pierce any longer for his moment in the sun. How is that different from a future first-round lock for the HOF not liking coming off the bench behind a player that was in his 2nd year and didn't show much in his 1st year, who got his starting slot because Ray needed to take a few games off to rest those ankles so he could be ready for the playoffs? How do you think Wally Pipp felt, losing his job to Lou Gehrig? Sure, the switch was obvious, especially over time, but how do you think Pipp felt about it? Well, Avery Bradley is good, but he's no Lou Gehrig and Ray Allen sure as hell is no Wally Pipp. This would be more like Lou Gehrig being replaced by Babe Dahlgren while Gehrig still had game left.

If Ray Allen was a keystone player, then why was everybody clamoring for him to become a bench player? If Ray Allen was a keystone player, then why was Danny shopping him non-stop? If Ray Allen was a keystone player, then why were Miami and Boston the only ones in hot pursuit?

You don't see them as the same because you weren't upset when Tony left, so you didn't feel the loss as much. Doesn't mean there weren't similarities that should make you look at them through the same eyes. You didn't miss Tony, at the time, but you missed Ray. Nobody misses exes when you're the one who pulls the plug, you only miss the ones who walk out on you when you're still in love with them. I felt like you when it first happened, I could pull up the old threads to show just how angry I was, but time heals all wounds if you let it. Ray would not have been the difference-maker to get us #18 this year and, if that is so, then his loss is not the problem. The problem was the loss of Rondo, Sully and Barbosa as well as the underwhelming performance of some of our other players. I know, I know, they didn't choose to get injured but their loss still killed the dream and having Ray Allen instead of Jason Terry would not have made up for that and that's what it boils down to, we lost Ray and got Jason. Was the difference between their play in the playoffs so different that having Ray instead of JET would have propelled us upward? Ray's averaging 10ppg on 38.9% shooting and 36.5% from 3 while JET averaged 12ppg on 44.4% shooting and 44% from 3.

Ray's ankles made his future effectiveness questionable, he's at the tail of his career, had bad chemistry with his point guard and was insulted by being dangled like a worm on a hook by management when the other "keystone players" were not, and yet you felt his loss more than a player who was drafted by us, developed his game with us, that we hung in there with despite chronic injuries and was in his prime but felt he was better than his role on this team because you loved Ray more than Tony and didn't mind that Tony pulled the plug on you.

It is better to have loved and lost than to have never have loved at all. Consider that if Ray Allen was still with us and was putting up numbers in the playoffs like he's doing now with Miami you might be singing a different tune about his contract today. You might be asking why Danny showed Auerbachian loyalty by re-signing the old man instead of doing the smart thing and letting him go wherever he was wanted.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

RUMOR RAY ALLEN WANTS BACK INTO BOSTON - Page 2 Empty Re: RUMOR RAY ALLEN WANTS BACK INTO BOSTON

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Did Tony ever say anything bad about the Celtics organization when he left? (Just wondering).
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:45 pm

I'd say this pretty much kills this rumor:

Ray Allen says return to finals validation for offseason move
Kurt Helin Jun 4, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT

Reuters
There was some reports yesterday that Ray Allen was considering opting out of his contract for next season in Miami because he wanted to return to Boston. Among the flaws of this rumor was the presumption that the Celtics organization wants him back.

Besides, Ray Allen is where he wants to be — back in the NBA Finals. And he played a key role in Game 7 getting the Heat to this point, knocking down threes.

Ray Allen angered a lot of Celtics fans taking less money to bolt to the hated Heat last summer, but he told the Sporting News this is exactly why he did it, he feels validation.

“Yeah, it does,” he said. “When we sat down and we talked about it, we being my family and the people that supported me over my life, we talked about being selfish and giving ourselves the best opportunity to win. We wanted to win, we didn’t want to be in a situation where we were going to struggle. Sitting here in this situation, it’s a great relief. Because sometimes you take a gamble. Your family believes in you, and we’re here and I can say that we’re in the situation we put ourselves in and we’re happy with it. We know that we can see the end of the road.”

Allen was offered three years, $9.5 million by the Celtics but took two years (the second a player option) at $6.2 million to be in South Beach. There was certainly a little bad blood there, tied to Allen feeling Danny Ainge shopped him around, but mostly it was about this for Allen. He wanted another ring and Miami was more likely to offer him one. Boston fans felt betrayed, which is fine.

But Allen likes where he is. And he’s not coming back to Boston.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 pm

More power to Ray.

A modern athlete taking less money because his primary reason is to win is a real surprise these days.

It's not like he owed us anything. He gave us what we payed for and then some, and as I recall expressed appreciation to the fans when he left. I'm rooting for San Antonio, but if Miami wins I'll be happy for Ray.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Allen opts for security in Memphis
By Gary Washburn
Globe Staff / July 12, 2010

LAS VEGAS — The Celtics had seen the best and the worst of Tony Allen over his six seasons in Boston, and that body of work was not good enough to convince the team to give Allen three guaranteed years.

So Allen jumped on a three-year deal with the Memphis Grizzlies yesterday.

“All I am at liberty to say is that we have come to terms with Tony Allen, and expect to sign a contract soon,’’ Memphis general manager Chris Wallace said.

It is an unexpected blow to the Celtics, who worked feverishly in re-signing Paul Pierce and Ray Allen and adding Jermaine O’Neal in the past week. Tony Allen’s contract situation appeared to be less of a priority and negotiations didn’t heat up until the past few days.

Team president Danny Ainge told reporters in Orlando Thursday that he wanted to bring Tony Allen and Nate Robinson back, but the question with Allen was terms.

Allen sought longer-term security and the Celtics were reluctant to give him a guaranteed third year. Allen has suffered through myriad injuries and spent time in coach Doc Rivers’s doghouse during the past six years, and the Celtics became frustrated with his inconsistency.

Allen received three guaranteed years from the rising Grizzlies, who re-signed Rudy Gay and drafted Xavier Henry to join O.J. Mayo, Mike Conley, and Marc Gasol.

The Grizzlies are expected to use Allen as a defender off the bench, a role in which he flourished with the Celtics in the latter stages of this season. He missed 28 games because of right ankle surgery but Rivers thrust him into a key role near the end of the regular season.

He earned more playing time with splendid defensive play, and that continued into the postseason when he helped contain superstars LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. With the Celtics desperately needing defense and youth, re-signing Allen would seem to have been a major priority.

But his negotiations were pushed back and Allen’s agent, Michael Higgins, last week appeared befuddled that the Celtics weren’t more aggressive. The Celtics didn’t begin seriously talking numbers with Allen until a few days ago and Wallace swept in with a guaranteed third year and more than $3 million per season, a modest raise from $2.5 million in 2009-10.

The job security and a chance for an expended role swayed Allen from the only organization he has played for. The Celtics could have re-signed Allen to a contract without salary cap constraints because they owned his Larry Bird rights.

The Celtics now must find a veteran defender at a low price because they are over the salary cap.

There are a handful of desired free agents, but salary will be an issue. Boston has reached out to former Toronto guard Antoine Wright, and former Minnesota swingman Damien Wilkins also could be a consideration.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Ray Allen says return to finals validation for offseason move
Kurt Helin Jun 4, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT

Reuters

There was some reports yesterday that Ray Allen was considering opting out of his contract for next season in Miami because he wanted to return to Boston. Among the flaws of this rumor was the presumption that the Celtics organization wants him back.

Besides, Ray Allen is where he wants to be — back in the NBA Finals. And he played a key role in Game 7 getting the Heat to this point, knocking down threes.

Ray Allen angered a lot of Celtics fans taking less money to bolt to the hated Heat last summer, but he told the Sporting News this is exactly why he did it, he feels validation.

“Yeah, it does,” he said. “When we sat down and we talked about it, we being my family and the people that supported me over my life, we talked about being selfish and giving ourselves the best opportunity to win. We wanted to win, we didn’t want to be in a situation where we were going to struggle. Sitting here in this situation, it’s a great relief. Because sometimes you take a gamble. Your family believes in you, and we’re here and I can say that we’re in the situation we put ourselves in and we’re happy with it. We know that we can see the end of the road.”

Allen was offered three years, $9.5 million by the Celtics but took two years (the second a player option) at $6.2 million to be in South Beach. There was certainly a little bad blood there, tied to Allen feeling Danny Ainge shopped him around, but mostly it was about this for Allen. He wanted another ring and Miami was more likely to offer him one. Boston fans felt betrayed, which is fine.

But Allen likes where he is. And he’s not coming back to Boston.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't get the obsession over Ray Allen. Based solely on his basketball skills, why would anyone want him back? He'll be 38 in July. He averaged an unremarkable 10 points in 25 minutes per game this season. Other than scoring and floor spacing, he doesn't make significant contributions, and his defense is a liability that is only getting worse. His production this year was very similar to Jason Terry.

. . . . . . . . . Min . . Pts . . FG% . . 3PT . . 3PT% . . FT . . FT% . . Reb . . Ast . . Stl . . TOV
Ray Allen . . .25.8 . 10.9 . .41.9 . . 1.8 . . .41.9 . . . 1.8 . .88.6 . . 2.7 . . .1.7 . . 0.8 . .1.3
Jason Terry . 26.9 . 10.1 . .43.4 . . 1.6 . . 37.2 . . . 1.4 . .87.0 . . .2.0 . . .2.5 . . 0.8 . .1.3

The whole direction of the Celtics is to shift from the KG-PP era to a younger, more athletic team. Be grateful you don't have him anymore. If you did, he'd be one more aging veteran you'd be wishing you could dump.

Last edited by Outside on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:01 pm

OUTSIDE,

Could not have said it better. I guess it is Allens behaviour that sticks in most Celtic Fans craw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:10 pm

As far as I can tell, there are two reasons some Celtic fans dislike Ray:

1. He went to the Heat, a hated rival. If he'd signed with the Clippers or San Antonio, I don't think it would be nearly as much of an issue.

2. He left on his own accord. This relies on a Celtic-centric view of the world where it's fine if Celtic management trades a player or dangles the player repeatedly and publicly as trade bait, it's fine if a free agent from another city turns down his former team and comes to Boston, but it's an insult to all things holy if a free-agent Celtic signs elsewhere. It's an inequitable definition of loyalty.

Rondo is notoriously prickly, and it's not Ray's fault that he and Rondo didn't get along. Ray had a chance to get away from that situation and go to a team with a better shot at a title, so he took it. I can see why Celtic fans resent him picking Miami over Boston, but I don't understand why they haven't moved past such petty hatred one year later.

2007-2012: Ray's jersey will hang in the rafters! He's a Celtic forever!
2009-2012: Except if we can trade him.
2012: He left us for Miami? The traitor!
2013: He might opt out and sign with us? We love you, Ray! Come back!
2013: He's not opting out? The traitor!

I know fans often act irrationally, but this situation seems bizarre.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Outside,

Along with Bob H, you make perfect sense.

I'm a life-long Celtics fan and I don't understand it either. Bizarre indeed.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Bob H,Outside, NYCelt

Totally agree with you

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm

OUTSIDE,

Two things I disagree in your post. Yes he can and do whatever he wants as a free agent including taking less money.........however, it was the way he did it!

Second, I do not agree that the majority of Celtic fans want him back>
2013: He might opt out and sign with us? We love you, Ray! Come back!That I think was pure conjecture on your part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:51 am

LOL, it was all conjecture. Conjecture is what we do!
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am

Outside

That is the business we are in.........did I also mention monkey business!

LOL

Have a great day....should be a great game tonight!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 pm

To add my two cents: You can't go forward very well looking backward. So if we don't look back at Ray's contributions as a Celtic, or the way he left (which left a bad taste in my mouth, even though I was glad he moved on), you have to ask yourself: "Do we need a 38-year-old good-shooting, below-average-on-defense guard?
No way.
The comparison to TA is not apt. TA was and is a premier defender (look at the footage of him on Labron) when he asked for a three-year contract. Danny has acknowledged the mistake of trading TA (cost us at least one ring IMO) as he wasn't demanding to start, nor big money, just a three-year commitment. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Outside wrote:I know fans often act irrationally, but this situation seems bizarre.

You are leaving out one big part of this story.

Ray Allen left to go to Miami, because he was offended that DA didnt pursue him FIRST. Danny went to talk to KG and his primary concern was to secure a new deal for Kevin, before he spoke to Ray about a new deal.

This clearly illustrated that not only is Ray Allen an immature, spoiled brat who thinks everyone has to bow down to him - but he is delusional, in believing that he is a better player than KG. Ray Allen is a good shooter. KG totally transformed the entire culture of the Boston Celtics. They arent even in the same ballpark

Shortly thereafter - DA made Ray an offer that was better and longer than what the Heat offered, but he was too butt hurt to stay.

A year later, Ray seems happy - which is fine. But lets not play this innocent, we dont understand why people are mad at Ray act. Ray Allen built this holier than thou, player on a higher level narrative - and in the end, turned out to be a hypocrite who was only out for himself. That is his prerogative. And as paying customers, it is our prerogative to call him a dick because of it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

mrkleen,

I'd have to agree that KG was always the more vital part to this team. There were many times when Ray was slumping and not playing well. During those times, they relied on Defense to get by, NOT a category Ray is particularly good in.

Ray is only useful when he's hitting jumpers, otherwise he really adds nothing else of value since he can't run the point and he can't play defense.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:48 pm

KJ

I am not saying Ray wasnt important.

But there are really only two possibilities here.

When he is alone with his own thoughts - either Ray Allen admits to himself that KG IS more valuable as a player - in which case Ray being "offended" that they Celtics didnt pursue him first - makes him an ego maniac.

Or, in those private moments - Ray actually believes that he is more valuable than KG - in which case he is delusional.

Neither paints Ray in a very flattering light.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

KJ and Mrkleen,
I disagree with you on the account of RA vs KG.
AFAIK, it's just a rumor, assumption, opinion of some people that one of the reasons for RA's leaving Boston was he's snubbed by Danny going for KG before going for him.
I think that the decision to go to Mia was made right after they lost in ECF. All other stuff was just a fluff. And the main reason to do it, IMO, was the second ring.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:17 pm

it isnt my account Sinus...it is very well known, and well reported story

Allen has repeatedly said he wasn't given the level of respect in Boston that he felt he afforded as a player, even if the Celtics did want to keep him. He talked about being cut out of Boston's offense and said the Celtics didn't try to welcome him back.

From the way Allen has been recounting the story in recent days, it now seems that the ego slight was beyond repair. Allen sounds like he had his mind made up to join the rival Heat well before the fateful free agency period. Whether the Celtics wanted to give Allen the deference he felt he commanded is a valid point — but there's no question the C's clearly wanted Allen.

Both Rivers and Celtics stalwart Kevin Garnett have said several times that they called Allen, implored him to come back and told him they wanted him. Allen, however, is telling a different story — and one that's chipping away at his legacy pretty quickly.

http://nesn.com/2012/10/ray-allen-says-doc-rivers-didnt-call-him-but-rivers-said-he-did-and-ego-kept-allen-from-returning-to/
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Mrkleen,
I'm not saying that it's "your account" I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter.
Also, the article you provided (thanks, BTW) doesn't prove that RA was snubbed, offended by KG being the primary target. BTW, its last sentence parallels my opinion.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:04 pm

I wasn't really trying to imply Ray wasn't integral to the team's success. I was just pointing out flaws in his game that were apparent to me numerous times.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Heat gave Ray Allen reason to again feel wanted Adrian Wojnarowski

Sat, Jul 7, 2012 3:31 AM EDT

The issues chasing Ray Allen out of the Boston Celtics and into the arms of their most despised opponent stacked higher and higher, and suddenly everything crystallized in the hours basketball’s most persuasive recruiter, Pat Riley, captivated him. The emperor of the Miami Heat sold Allen on never hearing his name in trade talks and a run of championships awaiting him. After all these years, Allen needed to feel wanted again, needed the recruiting, and Riles had such a willing soul sitting with him in the breeze blowing over Biscayne Bay.

Ray Allen played five seasons for the Celtics and helped them win the 2008

"He felt he was getting respect that he hadn’t gotten from [Celtics president] Danny [Ainge] and [coach] Doc [Rivers] anymore," a source close to Allen said Friday night. "…The presentation was incredible."

Respect comes in different ways, but make no mistake: The Celtics had offered two years and $12 million – respect for someone's who's 37 and coming off ankle surgery – and it didn’t matter to Allen. He hated the way Ainge dangled him in trade talks, hated that the Celtics told him he was on his way to Memphis in a deal at the March deadline only to have Rivers later tell him the trade was dead. Allen hated that Rivers didn’t give him his starting job back after he returned from a late-season ankle injury, and hated that it always felt like he was the Celtics star made to sacrifice above the rest.
Ainge and Rivers talked to Allen over and over on these issues in recent weeks, tried to smooth over the lingering bitterness, but there was something that Allen couldn’t move past, something he no longer wanted to deal with – the deterioration of his relationship with complicated point guard Rajon Rondo.
And with all of this cobbled together, with the sudden lure of sun-drenched golf courses and Riley’s pitch and a three-year, $9.7 million contract that could easily bring him two or three championships, Allen made a monumental move. He’s leaving for Miami, and the Celtics-Heat rivalry – the Ray Allen Celtics' legacy – are changed forever.

Kevin Garnett recruited Allen harder in the final weeks than Paul Pierce did, sources said, but both made it clear: Our run isn’t over, Ray. Come on back where you belong, and let’s get back to work. The Celtics were bringing back Jeff Green, had signed Jason Terry, drafted Jared Sullinger, and the franchise was selling Allen a scenario where the curtain hadn’t dropped on its championship aspirations.

This wasn’t Steve Nash leaving a losing lottery operation in Phoenix that didn’t want him back anyway. This was Ray Allen leaving the Celtics in the middle of a full reload, the bolstering of a roster to make a run at the Heat again. This was Ray Allen offered more money, not less.
And yet for those in New England daring to call it treason, well, Ray Allen will call it something else: My turn.

For all the past indignities – real or imagined – Rondo was the issue that hadn’t gone away, that would still be there come training camp. They don’t like each other, and it had become a bigger and bigger drag on Allen, sources said. Each had culpability for why things had gone awry, and yet each was better on the court because he had played with the other.

Rondo has had a polarizing impact within the Celtics' locker room, and his relationships with teammates and coaches have fluctuated over the years. Allen and Rondo never had arguments this year, never got into it. In fact, one source said: "Ray mostly ignored him." After the season, Rivers tried his best to mend the relationship between Rondo and Allen – make it manageable on some level. And yet, as one source with direct knowledge of the coach’s efforts said, the relationship was "too far gone."

Whatever the issues, everyone agreed: Rondo and Allen never brought them onto the floor. They played together, played well, but Allen had grown increasingly disillusioned about dealing with the disconnect. The friction started in the 2009-10 season, after Rondo signed his five-year, $55 million extension, sources said. It wouldn’t be long until Allen started to hear his name in trade talks, and he began to make the correlation that Rondo’s salary played a part in the Celtics looking to trim payroll – starting with Allen.
"Ray is prideful," one source said, "and he was always wondering: 'Why do I have to be that guy?' "

Those were some of the conflicts that Allen had with Rondo, but the stubbornness of the point guard worked to exacerbate everything. Rondo and Allen were non-confrontational, but much of the behind-the-back sniping to teammates and those around the team took a toll. So much of it was sandbox stuff, the kind of grating, ultimately petty issues that occur in every locker room, every workplace. Rondo didn’t chase Allen out of Boston, but their relationship did become a drain in the locker room. Their cold war was something Allen discussed with associates, something that became a concern of management and the coaching staff.

Allen and Rajon Rondo didn't openly feud, but their relationship had deteriorated. (Reuters)

"When it comes to basketball, Rondo is the smartest player on the team – one of the smartest players in the league," one locker-room source said. "And Ray considers himself a smart guy. But at some point, it became hard for Ray to be corrected by a guy so much younger than him."

No one ever blamed Rondo, and no one blamed Allen for it. This happens in sports, happens everywhere. As one staff member said: "In a lot of ways, they’re polar opposites. Ray is a military child, has the ultimate respect for authority. He does everything hard every day. Rondo’s different. He’s a free spirit. He’s unbelievably bright. But when Ray is taking everything seriously, Rajon can be lackadaisical. Doc has done a tremendous job coaching him, and he's gotten better every year – but there’s still a big difference between them."
Some believe it was pure jealousy on Allen's part, too, that he had blame for the disconnect. Within the Big Three, they teased Allen for his political nature. Whereas Rondo, Pierce and Garnett would speak in brutal, honest terms, Allen was forever measured, even. He was a military child, a relentless worker, a player who found great comfort in the daily routine of his shooting and conditioning. Yet eventually Rondo’s greatness expanded the Big Three to the Big Four, and Allen’s next contracts with the Celtics were paid on a different scale than Rondo, Garnett and Pierce.

In so many ways, the Celtics were perfect professionally and personally for Allen. He would be remembered as a legend in Boston, a part of a renaissance time for the franchise. He broke the NBA 3-point record in the Celtics uniform, won a championship, reached Game 7 of another NBA Finals, and maybe could’ve even had his No. 20 retired in the rafters someday.

Allen kept a house in Connecticut, an hour from Boston, and his child’s medical condition had his needs met within the city limits. Someday there would be a Hall-of-Fame induction ceremony for Allen in Springfield, Mass., and his would be such a New England storybook.

And with all that there, to still walk away for the Heat for $3 million less a season – after the Heat beat Boston on the way to an NBA championship – well, it was stunning to people. Within the Celtics, they knew this was possible, but were still jarred when informed of Allen’s choice. It hit everyone. In the worst possible way, Ray Allen wanted out of here. As much as he was validating his desire to play in Miami, there was a repudiation of the Celtics, and that hadn’t happened in this era.

Allen has suggested to people that the capital he built in three years at Connecticut and five with the Celtics would transcend the cries of betrayal and boos. Allen has never been the enemy, the bad guy, and it will hurt him in New England. The Celtics weren’t breaking up the team and letting him leave.
He took less money and hopped to the defending champions. He’ll take his hits, but as one organizational source insisted: "There's no mentally tougher player in this group than Ray; an absolute laser focus. That's why he's able to hit all those shots late in games. Physically, there are tougher guys. Not mentally tougher, though."

When Allen left Miami on Friday, the Heat were unsure they had convinced him. He’s hard to read. They knew he’d fly home to New England, think it over, and it would still be so difficult for him to extract himself from the Celtics. Whatever the allure to Allen, his DNA was still made of loyalty and routine, and that still had to give Boston an edge.

Yet, it turns out Allen's trip to South Beach made him feel so wanted, so inspired, and, truth be told, so eager to stick it to the Celtics. He could've broken Boston's hearts and left for anywhere, but clearly there’s a part of Allen that wants to exact some kind of revenge on the Celtics. There was nowhere else to do that but Miami.

Rondo has developed into one of the NBA's most versatile point guards. (AP)
He will take far more grief, far less money, and that methodical, disciplined mind of Allen processes everything and still – still – he signed up with the Miami Heat. Allen had grown up on military bases around the world and has lived a most disciplined life, forever weighing the plusses and minuses – and always, always the consequences.

Allen had a chance at the cozy, New England storybook ending, punctuated with that placid, poignant Hall-of-Fame ceremony in Springfield, where a favored son of Massachusetts would let the love and cheers wash over him. Maybe Garnett would've gone out with him, and they could've gone into the Hall, into the Celtics' rafters, together.

And then, Pat Riley walked into the room, and all hell broke loose in Boston. Allen thought long and hard, and his decision was unmistakable: He was busting out of Boston on his terms, and it cut the Celtics most deeply. Complete and utter repudiation. My turn now, Ray Allen was telling the Celtics.

My turn now.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Ray Allen left despite no-trade clause
Updated: October 26, 2012, 1:24 PM ET
By Jackie MacMullan | ESPNBoston.com

In the end, not even a no-trade clause could prevent Ray Allen from leaving Boston to join the Miami Heat via free agency.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge told ESPNBoston.com on Thursday that in addition to offering Allen twice as much money (two years, $12 million) as Miami did (three years at about $3 million per) to stay in Boston, he also added a no-trade clause to the contract.

Ainge said he was aware of Allen's frustration at constantly being mentioned in potential swaps during his time with the Celtics.

More from Jackie MacMullan
Ray Allen wants Boston to know he'll always be a Celtic, but he also saw the writing on the wall when it was decision time this offseason. Story

"I knew the (trade rumors) had been weighing on him," Ainge said.

For his part, Allen mentioned several specific instances of proposed deals he was included in, but there was no one reason that led to Allen's change of heart about Boston. Rather, it was the cumulative result of what he viewed as an erosion of his value to the team. The no-trade clause wasn't enough, nor was the $6 million a year, which would have left him as the fifth-highest paid Celtic behind Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Jeff Green. That, too, was a problem. Minutes were an issue, and so was his lack of touches. Allen had lost faith in coach Doc Rivers, his old golfing partner, who minimized his role in the offense.

When Allen decided to accept the Heat's offer, he called Ainge, texted Garnett and left town.

"Two years ago when I was a free agent, the whole organization sent me a text asking me to come back," Allen said. "This time it was a little more subdued."

This time, while Pierce and Garnett texted their support and Ainge initiated the dialogue at the stroke of midnight, Rivers stayed out of the negotiations. Their relationship, once strong, faltered in Allen's final months wearing Celtic green.

"Doc never called and said, 'We want you to come back,'" Allen said. "I can't say I expected him to do that. It's hard to say what the protocol is in those situations."

As for the constant uncertainty regarding trades, Allen said, talks began within months of his arrival in Boston. According to Allen, during that 2007-08 season, which resulted in a championship for the Celtics, Boston discussed a swap of Allen for Tracy McGrady.

"I got word of it through back channels," Allen said.

Two years later, he said, he got word that both he and Eddie House were on the block. House was the one to go, to the New York Knicks for Nate Robinson. There was the aforementioned dalliance with Phoenix in 2009, and then last season, Allen was nearly traded to Memphis for O.J. Mayo.

The team was in San Francisco on their West Coast swing when Allen got a call from Ainge at around 12:15 p.m., the afternoon of the trade deadline.

"Danny told me he had a deal on the table for me to go to Memphis for O.J. Mayo and he asked me what I thought," Allen said. "I told him I didn't like it. I told him I didn't want to leave Boston. He said, 'I hope you understand my position.' I said, 'I know you have to build this team for the future, but I'm not happy about it.'"

Allen called his family and instructed them to pack their things. Instead, 45 minutes later Ainge called back to say the deal was off.

"I went to Paul's room and he said, 'Damn, I almost got traded to New Jersey,' and I told him, 'I thought I did get traded to Memphis,"' Allen said. "What could we do? We just laughed about it."

Ainge acknowledged Allen's version of events regarding talks with Memphis, but claimed Pierce "was never going to New Jersey."

"The Nets had a No. 3 pick and they talked to us for about 30 seconds about Paul," Ainge said. "It was never close."

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:50 pm

COME ON GUYS, LET'S MOVE ON!!! THIS IS AN OLD, TIRED SUBJECT. THERE ARE BIGGER PROBLEMS ON THE HORIZON, I FEAR.

ROSALIE
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next