dboss
kdp59
bobheckler
18 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Hayward Opts OUT - Page 7 Empty Re: Hayward Opts OUT

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:15 pm

I read an article by Zach Lowe that said that Danny did a lot of calling around to see what other GM’s valued Turner at and what trade value he would have. So he obviously did not want to keep him. I really think that that was the purpose of all the back and forth about Warren or Oladipo
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:04 pm

gyso wrote:They may want our help.  Charlotte doesn't have room to fit Hayward into their available cap space.  Even if they waive and stretch Batum (at a cost of $9M for three years) I've read that they still cannot fit him in.

If we facilitate a sign and trade, Hayward for a trade exception, that would help Jordan fix his problem.  Jordan may have painted himself into a corner.

Danny may be able to get something out of losing Hayward after all.

Gyso,

Waiving Batum or stretching him drives the cost of Hayward up to $39M/year.

I think MJ eyes were bigger than his stomach, as my grandfather used to tell me, and he bit off more than he can chew.

I don't know what Danny can squeeze out of Charlotte but I'll bet it'll be something.  It's in MJ's best interest to give a fat TPE short-term to reduce his long-term luxury tax, which is a multiple of the cap overage.. Every dollar MJ agrees to pay Danny later is $2 - $3 he won't have to pay the league now.  

It's also looking more and more like trading Turner to Boston was Indy's plan more than Danny's.  Many of us  assumed on Draft Day that Danny's selection of Nesmith over Precious was because he had the Turner trade "in hand" and didn't need to draft a big.  If that was an incorrect assumption then more credit should be given to Nesmith, rather than just pigeon holing him as " the one we took because we didn't need the one we passed on".  

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 pm

There is a podcast with Bob Ryan and Jeff Goodman, they were on during the draft I believe, or they just put on a good show talking about Nesmith. It seems he was higher on Dannys list that anyone realized. Could we have another young guy to play along Brown and Tatum as this team grows?

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:They may want our help.  Charlotte doesn't have room to fit Hayward into their available cap space.  Even if they waive and stretch Batum (at a cost of $9M for three years) I've read that they still cannot fit him in.

If we facilitate a sign and trade, Hayward for a trade exception, that would help Jordan fix his problem.  Jordan may have painted himself into a corner.

Gyso,

I think MJ eyes were bigger than his stomach, as my grandfather used to tell me, and he bit off more than he can chew.

I don't know what Danny can squeeze out of Charlotte but I'll bet it'll be something.  It's in MJ's best interest to give a fat TPE short-term to reduce his long-term luxury tax, which is a multiple of the cap overage.. Every dollar MJ agrees to pay Danny later is $2 - $3 he won't have to pay the league now.  

It's also looking more and more like trading Turner to Boston was Indy's plan more than Danny's.  Many of us  assumed on Draft Day that Danny's selection of Nesmith over Precious was because he had the Turner trade "in hand" and didn't need to draft a big.  If that was an incorrect assumption then more credit should be given to Nesmith, rather than just pigeon holing him as " the one we took because we didn't need the one we passed on".  

Bob

Bob,

I agree that Jordan would rather not waive Batum. That is just money down the drain. Maybe Ainge can get something nice to go with the BIG FAT TPE. I am sure that Danny doesn't want to take in another player with the salary that comes with it. I guess we will have to wait and see what DA can squeeze out of MJ.

Meanwhile, Hayward's future big payday is somewhat in limbo.

I guess that Danny Ainge is a lot smarter than many will give him credit for.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Oh we of little faith...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I read an article by Zach Lowe that said that Danny did a lot of calling around to see what other GM’s valued Turner at and what trade value he would have. So he obviously did not want to keep him. I really think that that was the purpose of all the back and forth about Warren or Oladipo

Rosalie,

I read that as well. I don't think Danny wanted to go into the luxury tax for the skill-set that Turner brings to the table.

Many people are now happy with how things ended up, but the deal isn't finalized yet. We still may get a cherry on top!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 pm

So what’s the deal...???

Is this trade done or does Jordan have to do more trimming to fit GH in, in a deal that makes no sense for Hornets...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Gyso,

Bob

Bob,  

Who would you like Boston to receive if Gordon was traded to Charlotte?
I don’t think Boston would have any interest in taking back Zeller or Malik Monk.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 pm

I was just wondering....what if the trade falls through???What if MJ went into this too fast and now is in a big mess.. If we think losing Hayward for almost nothing is bad, how bad would that be.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:So what’s the deal...???

Is this trade done or does Jordan have to do more trimming to fit GH in, in a deal that makes no sense for Hornets...???

Cow,

There is no trade, Hayward was a free agent and made an agreement with the Hornets. They cannot fit him in under the cap, even after stretching Batum (or so I have read).

Jordan and his management team of misfits are horrible at creating a team and managing the salary cap.

Bob said Jordan bit off more than he could chew, I said he painted himself in a corner. Same diff.

Hayward is saying WTF!

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Per Zach Lowe the Celtics would have taken Turner in the trade but would have flipped him quickly.

“I think, really, talking to people and reading the tea leaves as best I could, it really comes down to the Celtics didn’t want Myles Turner,” Lowe said. “...I did hear from some teams around the league that the Celtics have done some preliminary research on what Myles Turner’s trade value would have been to them had they acquired him either in this deal or in a separate deal and obviously didn’t like what they saw.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  The fans wanted Turner, Danny didn't, but what's really interesting is that no other GM wants him either apparently.  That's why Danny couldn't find his next trading partner.  No nibbles.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks gyso

Wow Gordon got flip* and he did it to himself!! Can’t blame the other owner/partners, signing GH to that contract at his age with his history...??? They dodged a bullet. Now he’s like a dead leaf blowing in the wind, can’t see Pacers wanting him either now. Now he’s gonna take a lot lot less, he’s got no choice, no leverage. He made his own karma, kudos for Danny, not getting drawn into a bidding war in a tragic/bad situation.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Gyso,

Bob

Bob,  

Who would you like Boston to receive if Gordon was traded to Charlotte?
I don’t think Boston would have any interest in taking back Zeller or Malik Monk.

TJ,

Assuming Danny and MJ can't get a 3rd team involved I'd be happy with however big the TPE would be to make MJ's luxury tax bill palatable, although I would be willing to take LoMelo and Devonte Graham to make the numbers work (FYI, that's a joke).

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Hayward is saying,"Danny, bro, do me a $120M solid please!"
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:11 pm

worcester wrote:Hayward is saying,"Danny, bro, do me a $120M solid please!"

Lol wonder what kind of conversations he’s having with his agent....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:39 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
worcester wrote:Hayward is saying,"Danny, bro, do me a $120M solid please!"

Lol wonder what kind of conversations he’s having with his agent....

Gordon be like . . . affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:14 am

Life is not fair...!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 am

much to do about nothing,IMO.

Haywards going to Charlotte, They have about $88M in salarys with Ball's cap hold.

releasing a streching Batum will save them $18M this year. That will leave them about $38M UNDER the cap.

they can easily absorb Haywards $28M salary then and still be close to $10M under the cap.

I doubt Ainge will be involved, but to think the deal will somehow be scuttled is out there for me.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/charlotte-hornets/cap/

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 am

One of the things Danny is REALLY good at is reading the tea leaves and getting out of potential messes way before they blow up in his face like the flaming bag o' poo. He lights it, then runs and never gets caught!

Looks like MJ is now trying to get the crap off his foot.

Charlotte and Sacramento...Graveyards of the NBA now and forever.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Wait.. When Hayward opts out he is no longer a Celtic, Correct? He can do and go where he wants for as little per or as much as he can get, correct?
If the above is Fact then how can Danny be picky about anyone he is getting offered back? If Indy says Miles Turner (now we are hearing he didn’t want Turner. Sure) and that’s all you’re getting then thats all your getting or you’re getting nothing because you have no leverage because you no longer have the player. Sure, Indy would have issues fitting in Hayward without dumping some salary but that’s their issue. Again, Hayward no longer belonged to the C’s so what happened was actually what was supposed to happen when one gets greedy and delusional. You get nothing.
Great, we ended up with TT who I’ve always liked and JT who I don’t care much for but we did get something this off season. But lets face it, Danny did screw the Indy deal up. Now, if he signs I.T. And sends Edwards elsewhere he will be well on his way back to my good graces.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Ktron,

I know that I'll never convince you otherwise, but . . .

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-celtics-pacers-offered-143829178.html

Lowe offered another theory for why the deal didn't happen: The C's weren't too keen on Turner.

"I think, really, talking to people and reading the tea leaves as best I could, it really comes down to the Celtics didn’t want Myles Turner," Lowe said, adding that Boston seemed to make a "conscious choice" to sign big man Tristan Thompson for $9.5 million per year rather than take on Turner for $18 million per year.

"I think that’s really interesting and it’s not the choice I expected Boston to make," Lowe said.

The 29-year-old Thompson is a more proven commodity and averaged a double-double in Cleveland last season, while the 24-year-old Turner boasts more upside but has struggled with injuries and inconsistency in Indiana.

My comments:  Ainge called around to other GM's to see what interest they had in Turner.  Danny wanted to pass him along after the trade with Indy.  He got no takers.  In other words, other GMs didn't want Turner.  That should tell you enough to read the teal leaves yourself.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 pm

agree totally, I am not a Turner fan. I am happy with what we have right now, who knows what will happen before the first day of the season. Let's move on, I would love it if Charlotte/Boston worked out a deal but I am not going to waste my season moaning about it. This was a tough time to be a Celtics fan.

I am very tired of the know it all/know it nothing reporters here in Boston trying to bust Danny's back over this. I wish you could hear them. Last night, Michael Holley finally shut one of the guys up by telling him he knew nothing about the deal/deals that were so called offered and rejected. DJBean did not know what to say, Michael Felger, the Celtic/Danny hater spewed garbage all during his show. Tiring.

MOVE ON

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 pm

BTW, I meant to write "teal and purple" leaves because, those are Charlotte's uniform colors.  Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Ktron wrote:Wait.. When Hayward opts out he is no longer a Celtic, Correct? He can do and go where he wants for as little per or as much as he can get, correct?
If the above is Fact then how can Danny be picky about anyone he is getting offered back? If Indy says Miles Turner (now we are hearing he didn’t want Turner. Sure) and that’s all you’re getting then thats all your getting or you’re getting nothing because you have no leverage because you no longer have the player. Sure, Indy would have issues fitting in Hayward without dumping some salary but that’s their issue. Again, Hayward no longer belonged to the C’s so what happened was actually what was supposed to happen when one gets greedy and delusional. You get nothing.
Great, we ended up with TT who I’ve always liked and JT who I don’t care much for but we did get something this off season. But lets face it, Danny did screw the Indy deal up. Now, if he signs I.T. And sends Edwards elsewhere he will be well on his way back to my good graces.

ktron,

The "Danny did screw the Indy deal up" statement makes a few assumptions:

1.  That he really wanted Turner and got too greedy.  According to Zach Lowe he spoke with GMs around the league who said Danny was calling them asking for what they considered "fair trade value" was for Turner.  That's not what you do if you really want someone and intend to keep them.

2.  It assumes Indy is giving up Turner reluctantly, but feels it's necessary, to gain Hayward.  If Turner's such hot property then why aren't other GMs busting down their door to get him?  He's available, obviously, and now that the trade for Hayward is busted he's not "set aside" because he's earmarked for a specific trade.  Maybe it's because their idea of Turner's trade value is very different than Indy's, and how great can theirs be if they were offering Turner and not Sabonis?  Clearly they value Sabonis more and, considering Danny just traded Kanter away, Sabonis would have fit into our needs better than Turner, and he's getting paid about the same amount of money, but Sabonis was never on the table.  That should tell you something about how Indy views those two.

3.  The reports, once again through Zach Lowe, are that the offer from Indy was north of $100M, like $106M - $108M or so.  According to a Pacers beat reporter Hayward was willing to take a hometown discount to go there.  The difference between $120M and $108M is $3M/year.  Considering the massive overall size of the contract that's not that big a difference.  This tells me it wasn't the big contract value that swung Hayward towards Charlotte and away from his preferred destination to finish out his career.  It's something else. He could have used the Charlotte offer to motivate Danny to accept less or end up with nothing, right? Didn't happen. Why? Maybe because the centerpiece of the trade with Indy wasn't Turner, like many of us assumed, but Oladipo or Warren and they weren't being offered.

4.  If you look at Turner's numbers they aren't all that impressive.  He averaged 12.1ppg and 6.6rpg in 29.5mpg last season.  Those are underwhelming.  He has a negative assist-to-turnover ratio.  What are Turner's fortes?  3pt shooting and shot blocking, right?  Well, Turner shot 34.4% last season from 3.  That's not great neither (by comparison the much maligned Daniel Theis was 9.2ppg and 6.6rpg in only 24mpg, and Theis took a lot fewer fgas.  Theis also had a >2.1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio).  As far as shot blocking goes Turner had 2.1 blks/game (vs 1.3 for Theis in fewer minutes).  So Turner would be an upgrade on blocks/minute, although not as as much as one might think, and a distinct negative with turnovers.  Theis only shot 33.3% from 3 last year but he took fewer, and if 3pt shooting is one of the big draws of Turner then he should be shooting a lot better than Theis.  And Theis' Net Rating (points scored while he's on the floor/100 possessions - points given up while he's on the floor/100 possessions) is FAR superior to Turner's.  Aside from 3pt shooting, how about 2pt shooting?  Turner's 2pt fg% last season was 54%.  Theis' was 60%. Theis was more effective down low than Turner.  So, why get Turner when we already have Theis for a fraction of the price and there's a lot of overlap in their games?

I will agree with you on one thing, though.  Move Edwards.  Unless Danny wants to go with IT there might not be any reason to do it now but, unless Carsen starts reminding us why he made the club in the first place, he should be gone by the trade deadline.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I was not disappointed that Danny did not get Turner because he was never my preferred choice at center.  I resigned myself to believing that Danny would get a stretch guy because Brad loves that.

Danny has come out of this entire situation not completely resolved from his miscalculations.  

GH is gone and there is no logical reason to think otherwise.  Charlotte has enough money tied up in CAP holds to consummate the deal.  

Danny had limited option in terms of moving GH to any number of teams.  In the end any player can find happiness with $120 million guaranteed money in the pipeline.  GH had all the leverage after all is said and done.  All you need is one franchise willing to overspend for a free agent just like Danny Ainge did with AH, and GH or even when you use assets to trade for a guy like KI.

In the end Danny got nothing when GH,  Al Horford and KI left.

What Danny did however was mange to improve this team with a neat change of direction maneuver off the bounce.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next