PLEASE READ THIS THREAD ABOUT JEB'S HEALTH. VERY IMPORTANT.

+28
KellyGreen17
swedeinestonia
rickdavisakaspike
RosalieTCeltics
QuietReader
Berlin-T
bigpygme
MDCelticsFan
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
sinus007
pete
dbrown4
willjr
Matty
Hoopdeedoo
gyso
LACELTFAN
MustangGator
NYCelt
mrkleen09
Outside
jeb
bobheckler
bobc33
beat
Sam
32 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD ABOUT JEB'S HEALTH.  VERY IMPORTANT. - Page 8 Empty Re: PLEASE READ THIS THREAD ABOUT JEB'S HEALTH. VERY IMPORTANT.

Post by beat Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 pm

jeb wrote:
Didnt the duke get sick making some roman movie out in the desert where they tested fat man and little boy?

Jeb

here is a bit about the Duke, seems as if it is a possible factor but as the Duke said himself....smoking 6 packs of ciggs a day had a far greater effect so he thought

Although he enrolled in a cancer vaccine study in an attempt to ward off the disease,[23] John Wayne died of stomach cancer on June 11, 1979, at the UCLA Medical Center, and was interred in the Pacific View Memorial Park cemetery in Corona del Mar. According to his son Patrick, he converted to Roman Catholicism shortly before his death.[52] He requested his tombstone read "Feo, Fuerte y Formal", a Mexican epitaph Wayne described as meaning "ugly, strong and dignified".[53] However, the grave, unmarked for twenty years, is now marked with a quotation from his controversial 1971 Playboy interview: "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Among the 220 or so cast and crew who filmed the 1956 film, The Conqueror, on location near St. George, Utah, ninety-one had come down with cancer (41%), including stars Wayne, Susan Hayward, and Agnes Moorehead, and director Dick Powell. The film was shot in Southwestern Utah, east of and generally downwind from where the U.S. Government had tested nuclear weapons in Southeastern Nevada, and many contend that radioactive fallout from these tests contaminated the film location and poisoned the film crew working there. Despite the suggestion that Wayne’s 1964 lung cancer and his 1979 stomach cancer resulted from this nuclear contamination, he himself believed his lung cancer to have been a result of his six-pack-a-day cigarette habit

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD ABOUT JEB'S HEALTH.  VERY IMPORTANT. - Page 8 Empty Re: PLEASE READ THIS THREAD ABOUT JEB'S HEALTH. VERY IMPORTANT.

Post by worcester Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Jeb, You're 100% right. Duke and Dick Powell both got cancer from being downwind of the Nevada a-bomb test range while making a movie. I was wrong when I said John Wayne overcame stomach cancer. Actually it was lung cancer in 1964, and he survived another 15 years beyond that, quitea feat. Here's his version of events:

According to movie industry columnist James Bacon, Wayne's producers issued phony press releases when he was hospitalized for cancer surgery in September 1964, claiming the star was being treated for lung congestion. "Those bastards who make pictures only think of the box office," he told Bacon, as recounted in 1979 by the columnist. "They figure Duke Wayne with cancer isn't a good image. I was too doped up at the time to argue with them, but I'm telling you the truth now. You know I never lie." After Bacon broke the story of the Duke's cancer, thousands of cancer victims and their relatives wrote to Wayne saying that his battle against the disease had given them hope.

He underwent surgery to have a cancerous left lung removed on 16 September 1964, in a six-hour operation. Press releases at the time reported that Wayne was in Los Angeles' Good Samaritan Hospital to be treated for lung congestion. When Hollywood columnist James Bacon went to the hospital to see Wayne, he was told by a nurse that Wayne wasn't having visitors. According to a June 27, 1978 "Us" magazine article, Wayne said to his nurse from his room, "Let that son of a bitch come in." When Bacon sat down in his room, Wayne told him, "Well, I licked the Big C." Wayne confessed that his five-packs-a-day cigarette habit had caused a lung tumor the size of a golf ball, necessitating the removal of the entire lung. One day following surgery, Wayne began coughing so violently he ruptured his stitches and damaged delicate tissue. His face and hands began to swell up from a mixture of fluid and air, but the doctors didn't dare operate again so soon. Five days later they drained the fluid and repaired the stitches. On 29 December 1964, Wayne held a press conference at his Encino ranch, against the advice of his agent and advisers, where he announced, "I licked the Big C. I know the man upstairs will pull the plug when he wants to, but I don't want to end my life being sick. I want to go out on two feet, in action."

Last edited by worcester on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accuracy)
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 pm

jeb wrote:yeah GA why you got to kill our duke buzz?

!

Just cause I felt like misbehavin'!!!

Is that a problem, hombre?

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Eat hearty Jeb, everything & anything!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Too bad you're not around here Jeb, a hearty. big Italian meal would do you a world of good!! Making Lasagna for Christmas, sorry my friend, I will think of you as my family eats away. However, I am sure there will be plenty of good eats to help you along your way during this battle. Eat like an Italian! You'll never be hungry!!!

Keep up the good reports!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks pete

@ GC...geeze you southern boys are delicate little flowers!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 pm

jeb wrote:Thanks pete

@ GC...geeze you southern boys are delicate little flowers!

I'ma dumber 'n dirt azzz kickin' mofo... from way WAY UP in the NORTH Gawja mountooons!

Behave yo'self!

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm

jeb wrote:yeah GA why you got to kill our duke buzz?

My appetite is comin back boys! The post are much appreciated and a source of buoyancy and joy to me.

In duke mode i am anxious to see the coens true grit...love the coens love bridges!

Jeb i went and saw true grit this afternoon and.... I think John Wayne would have loved this new True Grit, definetly closer in feel to the book than the Dukes version. Jeff Bridges absolutely NAILED Charlie Portis's Rooster Cogburn.

usualy when i think of John Wayne whose my favorite actor, I think of him in the role of Rooster Cogburn or John B. Books (the shootist) after today though, when i think of True Grit i'll think of Jeff Bridges portrayal. Cant wait to see it again. Hope ya get to see it soon, get yoru mind off your troubles for a bit and enjoy a new american classic.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Matty, if you don't mind, I'm going to copy your last post and duplicate it on our "Reviews and Recommendations" thread.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:45 pm

I saw the original True Grit tonight and just loved John Wayne's performance. Robert Duvall was pretty nifty as well.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:46 am

Sam wrote:Matty, if you don't mind, I'm going to copy your last post and duplicate it on our "Reviews and Recommendations" thread.

Sam

dont mind a bit
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:09 am

I am here in front of computer at 4:o7 am...i was awoken by some unseen force and got out of bed about 1hr ago. I caught something that really needed catching or it would have jammed me up in a bad way. So good looking out guardian angel whoever you are.

Wow
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:46 am

jeb wrote:I am here in front of computer at 4:o7 am...i was awoken by some unseen force and got out of bed about 1hr ago. I caught something that really needed catching or it would have jammed me up in a bad way. So good looking out guardian angel whoever you are.

Wow

Guardian angel????? Probably the spirit of Rooster Cogburn stirring nearby!

Some John Wayne quotes for consideration.... enjoy!

Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.

Get off your horse and drink your milk.

If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:51 am

jeb

Glad your feeling better and glad your appetite is coming back,in Chinese medicine a hearty healthy appetite is a sign of good health.manja

hooter,beat

When I was a kid my father took me to see True Grit,was my favorite movie for years,still remember not exactly being excited to go,then loving everything in and about the movie.....an all time classic.Love John Wayne,how can anybody not,gonna take my kids to see it between Christmas and New Years,can't wait....

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 am

gacracker wrote:
jeb wrote:I am here in front of computer at 4:o7 am...i was awoken by some unseen force and got out of bed about 1hr ago. I caught something that really needed catching or it would have jammed me up in a bad way. So good looking out guardian angel whoever you are.

Wow

Guardian angel????? Probably the spirit of Rooster Cogburn stirring nearby!

Some John Wayne quotes for consideration.... enjoy!

Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.

Get off your horse and drink your milk.

If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

GC

GC,

I've always loved that saying. It was also on a plaque on the wall in Chuck Colson, of Watergate's fame, office in the Nixon White House. It was said that a liberal democrat came to him and wanted to spend money in Vietnam to "win the hearts and minds of the Vietnamese people" and Colson turned it around like this.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:43 am

Speaking of John Wayne

Here is a website that allows you to at least listen to many of those sayings from many of his great films AUDIO only so you will need to close your eyes and have visions of the Duke saying them.

http://www.cowboyway.com/JohnWayneQuotes.htm

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:38 am

As much as I grew up on and loved John Wayne movies, nothing tops tough guy westerns more than a sneering, smoldering Marlon Brando in the 1961 classic "One Eyed Jacks" with Slim Pickens and Karl Malden.

Now that picture kicked ass. Talk about gutsy quotable quotes... galore.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:23 pm

@ gc

My damn bag was full, FULL I just woke up for no reason at all, it felt like somebody pushed me. I kid you not. Anyway I will take it. The alternative was yucksville.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:00 am

jeb wrote:@ gc

My damn bag was full, FULL I just woke up for no reason at all, it felt like somebody pushed me. I kid you not. Anyway I will take it. The alternative was yucksville.

Maybe Rio pushed you a bit.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about my favorite scene from One Eyed Jacks....

Rio (a young Marlon Brando) flies into a rage after being teased by a fellow outlaw about an affair he is having with a Mexican "jumpin bean," the daughter of the local sheriff, Dan (Karl Mauldin), whom he is going to kill for deserting Rio taking the loot after the two of them robbed a bank, leaving him to rot for 5 years in a Mexican prison while Dan started a new life as a respectable lawman in California.

Rio throws the table over, jumps up, kicks the chair aside and backs away, challenging his tormentor to a gunfight!

He snarls....

"Get up, you skum suckin' pig. Get up!!

I want you standin' when I open you up.

Now get on up!!!

You got RIGHT ON THE EDGE!

You mention her one more time and I'm gonna tear your arms out!!!"

Way, WAY badder than Rooster What's-His-Face!

You can see the movie in its entirety on YouTube for free.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 am

i have see it hoss and its a damn good en. How are you? Welcome back!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:26 pm

jeb wrote:i have see it hoss and its a damn good en. How are you? Welcome back!

To quote Rio when he first rode up and greeted the sheriff at his hacienda.... "I been sneakin' around."

I was trying to remember.... are you a big UT football fan? I'm thinking maybe not.

Ol' Fast Lane Kiffin certainly gave them a bad deal.... not that they didn't deserve it for signing the guy despite his "fast" reputation.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:31 pm

I love ut football but feel they are reaping karmic deserts for the way they treated a very good man Phil Fulmer. Kiffin is so slimy it's kind of funny. Just the utter absence of ethics or morals.

The Vols played with the devil and he burned em the second HE had a better deal.

Kiffin is very King James
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:46 pm

jeb wrote:I love ut football but feel they are reaping karmic deserts for the way they treated a very good man Phil Fulmer. Kiffin is so slimy it's kind of funny. Just the utter absence of ethics or morals.

The Vols played with the devil and he burned em the second HE had a better deal.

Kiffin is very King James

For some reason, I was thinking that you had lost your loyalty to UT and caught on with a football team on the west coast. My memory is like a sieve.

Not sure that Derek Dooley is the answer. (I never liked his dad at all, btw.) I'm not at all sure what happened to Fulmer. I don't follow UT football... but signing Kiffin was a disaster.

UGA football stank this year. No biggie for me. I don't care at all. They have fallen steadily for the past 4 years or so, playing very poorly within the conference. Lots of off the field problems with players showing up in the pokey.

UGA's AD having to quit last year with a DUI and red panties (not his wife's) in his lap was a hoot.

Richt could easily be in deep dodo if he has another mediocre season. Bulldog Nation expects 9 and 10 win seasons every year.

CG
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 pm

gc

so do the vols, and their aint as much to do...tn football is KING. I aint a geek and hoop (ie celts) my main sport but I do follow tn football and i do want them to win and wish the program well.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:55 pm

One Eyed Jacks has to be one of the best westerns ever! I just saw True Grit last night - excellent/ On Tuesday I saw the original - another must see. Love the Duke. Jeff Bridges deserves an Oscar as well.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next