NYCelt
sinus007
18 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Let the Speculations begin Empty Let the Speculations begin

Post by sinus007 Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi,
The new CBA hasn't been finalized, the new basketball season is 4 weeks away but the season of speculations is in full blast.
Who stays, who's gone, who's a new face.
My take is:
the 6 who're under contract, obviously (I think they'll keep JO - not that many other 5s around)
I believe BBD, JG and DW will be signed
I hope they sign JJJ
Who fills the other 3-5 spots - I have no clue.

Any other takers?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Let the Speculations begin Empty Re: Let the Speculations begin

Post by NYCelt Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:52 pm

AK,

My guess is Wafer gets a spot and I think Krstic's contract lets him come back to the NBA so he's probably back.

My best completely wild guess is...

C: JO, Krstic, Johnson
PF: KG, Davis
SF: Pierce, Green
PG & SG: Rondo, Ray, West, Moore, Bradley, Wafer

Perhaps delete a guard or two from that list, maybe delete Davis. Add a mystery guest or two, especially a rent-a-C/PF, and there we have it. The starting unit is, of course, looking really, really old. That statement doesn't trouble me as much as coming to the realization that I am now old enough to be the father of some of the younger players.

And now I'm ready for some football!

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:53 pm

The 6 are obvious to start the season with us, as you say. KG, RA, PP, RR, JON, AB.

While I haven't read the new CBA yet (sneaky, lazy bastard that I am, I'm letting our resident capologist, GYSO, read it first and express his opinions) but I'm hearing that free agents like Jeff Green, and possibly BBD, are screwed. DW will resign with the Celtics due to his past, ahem, issues will make him unattractive to other teams.

JJJ will sign. He's a rookie, drafted by the Celtics, he wants to be here.

That's 10, there. 3-5 to go, as you pointed out.

Krstic is playing for CSKA Moscow (with AK-47). Their regular season ends May 7th. He could be bought out of his contract IF that's what Danny and Wyc want to do. With only JON as a dedicated 5, and the general dearth of other talent at that position available, I'd hope they'd consider that. The good news here is that, unlike the NBA players who didn't go overseas, Krstic is averaging 17mpg in the Russia league games and almost 21mpg in the United league games. These are almost the same minutes AK-47 is getting in both league games, so I don't think there should be any assumptions made as to why he's not getting NBA starter minutes. So, maybe there's one.

I'm thinking either E'taun Moore (2nd round pick) or Gilbert Brown out of Pitt. Without our depth chart in front of me, I don't think we need two rookie 2s. There's one more, that would bring us up to 12, if we buy out Krstic.

Another 5 would be optimum, but scarce.

We need one more in order to have the minimum number of players on the roster (unless the new CBA changed that too). I think, unless we can fill a pressing need, like getting a 5, Danny will just wait until the other teams have cut players and will pick up a practice player off the waiver wire.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 pm

This list is from redsarmy.com. It lists possible PF and C free agent signings. I've highlighted the ones I like, or at least would consider, and that I consider to be obtainable (e.g. Kirilenko is available, but I doubt we could/would sign him).

Power Forwards:

Hilton Armstrong, Josh Powell, Glen Davis, Troy Murphy, Brian Scalabrine, Brian Cardinal, Kenyon Martin, Chris Wilcox, Josh McRoberts, Craig Smith, Joe Smith, Leon Powe, Dan Gadzuric, Kris Humphries-Kardashian, Brandan Wright, Carl Landry, David West, Jared Jeffries, Shawne Williams, Sheldon Williams, Malik Allen, Darius Songaila, Julian Wright, Joey Dorsey, Reggie Evans, Andrei Kirilenko

Centers:

Jason Collins, Etan Thomas, Nenad Krstic, Kwame Brown, Joel Przybilla, Kurt Thomas, Tyson Chandler, Nene, Chuck Hayes, Yao Ming (kidding), Jeff Foster, Theo Ratliff, Erick Dampier, Juwan Howard, Jamaal Magloire, Aaron Gray, D.J. Mbenga, Tony Battie, Samuel Dalembert, Kyrylo Fesenko, Francisco Elson

I did not highlight Troy Murphy. The reason why I didn't is, quite frankly, how bad he looked when we had him. Having said that, he hadn't played much for a month or two before we signed him, had no training camp or exhibition season with us and was quite obviously out of shape physically and mentally. If he comes ready to play, now, he'd be a big fix for our rebounding needs and he's still relatively young (he will be 32 in May 2012).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 pm

I feel Murphy was thrown to the wolves early, wasn't in shape and just was unimpressive. But, I also feel that someone, maybe the Celtics, will give him another shot.
I haven't read a word about him or how he felt at the end of the season. It sure looked like Doc wasn't too keen on him, so that may be our answer in regard to him.
Wafer is another one who fell out of favor with Doc, so I can't see him returning.

What about Leon? Is he a free agent? Does Daniels have a shot?

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi,
Re: NK. I don't think he has out clause in his contract with ЦСКА (that's CSKA in Russian)

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Re: NK. I don't think he has out clause in his contract with ЦСКА (that's CSKA in Russian)

AK

sinus,

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/nenad-krstic/

It looks like Krstic does not have an "out" clause like AK-47 does (great negotiating by Krstic's agent. NOT!) but he could be bought out IF Danny and Wyc want to.

CSKA's (I don't have a Cyrillic keyboard) record right now, I believe, is 11-2, or something like that. With AK-47 probably heading back to the states to play for the NBA I see their record sliding significantly. Money, especially US Dollars, might be looking very attractive to the owners of CSKA (the Russian Ruble is a closed currency, meaning it has no value outside Russia. "Hard" currency, as other world's currencies are called, have a value beyond the official exchange rate to people looking to spend/invest outside their country. I may be out of line here, but I wouldn't be shocked if the owners have something to do with the Russian Mafia (it seems most rich people in Russia are either high-level politicians and/or have something to do with the mob). Getting some US$ for the remainder of Krstic's contract, which they now wouldn't have to pay for in, is very enticing).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:41 am

bobheckler wrote:This list is from redsarmy.com. It lists possible PF and C free agent signings. I've highlighted the ones I like, or at least would consider, and that I consider to be obtainable (e.g. Kirilenko is available, but I doubt we could/would sign him).

Power Forwards:

Hilton Armstrong, Josh Powell, Glen Davis, Troy Murphy, Brian Scalabrine, Brian Cardinal, Kenyon Martin, Chris Wilcox, Josh McRoberts, Craig Smith, Joe Smith, Leon Powe, Dan Gadzuric, Kris Humphries-Kardashian, Brandan Wright, Carl Landry, David West, Jared Jeffries, Shawne Williams, Sheldon Williams, Malik Allen, Darius Songaila, Julian Wright, Joey Dorsey, Reggie Evans, Andrei Kirilenko

Centers:

Jason Collins, Etan Thomas, Nenad Krstic, Kwame Brown, Joel Przybilla, Kurt Thomas, Tyson Chandler, Nene, Chuck Hayes, Yao Ming (kidding), Jeff Foster, Theo Ratliff, Erick Dampier, Juwan Howard, Jamaal Magloire, Aaron Gray, D.J. Mbenga, Tony Battie, Samuel Dalembert, Kyrylo Fesenko, Francisco Elson

I did not highlight Troy Murphy. The reason why I didn't is, quite frankly, how bad he looked when we had him. Having said that, he hadn't played much for a month or two before we signed him, had no training camp or exhibition season with us and was quite obviously out of shape physically and mentally. If he comes ready to play, now, he'd be a big fix for our rebounding needs and he's still relatively young (he will be 32 in May 2012).

bob

Craig Smith -- What I've seen of him with the Clippers, I've liked a lot. Good, hard-nosed player, not afraid to do the dirty work. I think you'd like him.

Dan Gadzuric -- I'm assuming you're aware of his, ahem, limitations since he played for the Warriors part of last season. He plays hard and is a decent rebounder and defender, but anything farther than a dunk is outside his range. When it comes to shooting free throws, shooting backward over his head while blindfolded might be an improvement. But he's a big body (6-11, and really belongs with the centers more than than the power forwards), and he does hustle.

Carl Landry -- No interest there? Too small? He's a scrappy overachiever who has bounced around, but I've always liked the way he plays.

Jason Collins -- I suppose he'd be okay as the third center on the roster, and I know the options out there are limited, but it's painful to think that's the best the C's could do.

Tyson Chandler, Nene -- I assume you didn't highlight these guys because acquiring them isn't practical.

Chuck Hayes -- Reminds me of Carl Landry, and not just because they were teammates at Houston. Scrappy undersized overachiever. I know you want height, but I'd rather have Hayes than Jason Collins.

Samuel Dalembert -- Would be a great pickup if the C's could get him. Other than Chandler and Nene, I think he's the best option in your list.

Kyrylo Fesenko -- Different skill set, but sort of a Semih Erden redux. More of a project than immediate help. Definitely a big body (7-1, 290).

Troy Murphy -- I agree with your assessment. Between injuries, illness, and being in Avery Johnson's doghouse, he lost his mojo. Could be valuable if he found it again, but that's rolling the dice. Is he worth a roster spot? And would he want to come back or get a fresh start somewhere else?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 am

Outside wrote:
bobheckler wrote:This list is from redsarmy.com. It lists possible PF and C free agent signings. I've highlighted the ones I like, or at least would consider, and that I consider to be obtainable (e.g. Kirilenko is available, but I doubt we could/would sign him).

Power Forwards:

Centers:

bob

Craig Smith -- What I've seen of him with the Clippers, I've liked a lot. Good, hard-nosed player, not afraid to do the dirty work. I think you'd like him.

Dan Gadzuric -- I'm assuming you're aware of his, ahem, limitations since he played for the Warriors part of last season. He plays hard and is a decent rebounder and defender, but anything farther than a dunk is outside his range. When it comes to shooting free throws, shooting backward over his head while blindfolded might be an improvement. But he's a big body (6-11, and really belongs with the centers more than than the power forwards), and he does hustle.

Carl Landry -- No interest there? Too small? He's a scrappy overachiever who has bounced around, but I've always liked the way he plays.

Jason Collins -- I suppose he'd be okay as the third center on the roster, and I know the options out there are limited, but it's painful to think that's the best the C's could do.

Tyson Chandler, Nene -- I assume you didn't highlight these guys because acquiring them isn't practical.

Chuck Hayes -- Reminds me of Carl Landry, and not just because they were teammates at Houston. Scrappy undersized overachiever. I know you want height, but I'd rather have Hayes than Jason Collins.

Samuel Dalembert -- Would be a great pickup if the C's could get him. Other than Chandler and Nene, I think he's the best option in your list.

Kyrylo Fesenko -- Different skill set, but sort of a Semih Erden redux. More of a project than immediate help. Definitely a big body (7-1, 290).

Troy Murphy -- I agree with your assessment. Between injuries, illness, and being in Avery Johnson's doghouse, he lost his mojo. Could be valuable if he found it again, but that's rolling the dice. Is he worth a roster spot? And would he want to come back or get a fresh start somewhere else?

outside,

I'm not familiar with Craig Smith, so I'll take him under consideration based upon your opinion and pay more attention to him.
Gadzuric is a wide-body, that's it. That's all I want him for, to box people out. If I was able to co-exist with Greg Kite...
Landry at 4? He'd be great, love his work ethic, but would he be willing to back up KG after his efforts at Houston and Sacto?
Yeah, I know Jason Collins isn't all-star material, but beggars can't be choosers.
Chandler and Nene are out of our price range. I believe Nene is leaving $12M on the table just to opt out.
Chuck Hayes is something else, the shortest starting center in the history of the NBA, but not where the smart money goes. I'll give you this, though, it'll be easier to move Collins out of the pivot than Hayes. The man has sand.
Dalembert would be great. I have him in the Chandler/Nene category though.
I thought Fesenko did a pretty decent job coming in for Okur when Okur went down. DEFINITE wide-body.
Guys with names like "Murphy" should be in Celtic green, but I don't know if this one will, again.

We need height and beef. JON at 6'11", 255# and 15 years in the league isn't going to be able to take the punishment every night for starter minutes. Even if Krstic comes back, he's a softy too. We need a banger. I respect Chuck Hayes and the fact that he didn't turn into a grease spot on Andrew Bynum's elbow but I'm leery of counting on that happening again. He's like Rudy (ever see that movie?). I'd love to put Hayes' heart into Andres Biedrins' body (speaking of being better off shooting free throws over your head backwards).

Another thought, based upon nothing solid, is that they bring to camp (since there was no summer league) some of the players at last summer's league. Art Parakhouski, 6'11" 260# and/or Kravstov (I'm not even going to even try spelling his first name), 7'0", 270#. Para looked pretty good, admittedly against summer league talent, but Kravstov moved like the Empire State Building on legs. Ponderous. HUGE, but ponderous.

Also, a player named DeShawn Sims, out of Michigan, played summer league ball for us last year. Due to, what I think was some bad decision making by his agent, didn't get invited to camp and instead ended up in Maine playing for the Celtics D-league team, The Red Claws. He's 6'8", 225# and is an overachiever on the glass. He was voted D-League Rookie of the Year last season. Currently playing in Korea, probably for peanuts (or edamame). Not a 5, I know, but a solid 4. I liked his game a lot, albeit against summer league talent, like Para. Still, he averaged over 20 ppg and almost 8rpg in D-league and the talent level is higher there than in summer league.

The truth is regardless of who Danny scrounges up, it'll be a scrounge, unless he pulls off another coup and gets Dalembert or some other honest-to-God NBA center. As much as I hate quoting or paraphrasing Rick Pitino, Bill Russell isn't walking through that door anytime soon. Next season, with D12 an unrestricted free agent, then we'll talk again.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Bob,

We're probably in agreement here. Assuming the Celtics will be limited to the taxpayer mid-level exception ($3 million), Dalembert (overpaid at $13 million last season, but still) and Landry (underpaid at $3 million last season) are out of reach.

They're probably stuck with a passable journeyman like Jason Collins or Dan Gadzuric, who at least have size, are in their price range, and can be a serviceable stopgap when JON can't play. And with the compressed schedule (including back-to-back-to-backs), you know they'll need someone to fill in for JON. I know Chuck Hayes is a midget at the 5, but he's also in the price range ($2 million last season), and he just gets it done somehow. I just love guys who play with so much heart like that. Jason Collins looks like he just took an Ambien.

But all that hinges on Krstic and JON both being available. They really, really need to get Krstic. And they really, really need to keep their big men healthy.

If they spend a roster spot on a backup 4, one of those D-league guys might do, but I'd still prefer Craig Smith. There are few sure things, but I consider him a hidden gem. It's tough to get noticed playing on the Clippers in general and behind Blake Griffin in particular. My biggest concern is that he missed time with a herniated disk last season, and although he came back to play in 20 or so games, I don't know whether he got it "fixed" or just treated and whether it's going to be an ongoing issue. But before last season, he played in at least 74 games every season, and his per-36-minutes stats are pretty good (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithcr01.html).

The biggest issue is that there are numerous teams competing for the same small pool of free-agent big men. It's going to be a fast and frenzied signing period in a couple of weeks. Ainge has showed his ability in the past, and this will be another opportunity for him to make a difference. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Man, it sure is nice to be actually talking about the nuts and bolts of basketball again.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Outside wrote:Bob,

We're probably in agreement here. Assuming the Celtics will be limited to the taxpayer mid-level exception ($3 million), Dalembert (overpaid at $13 million last season, but still) and Landry (underpaid at $3 million last season) are out of reach.

They're probably stuck with a passable journeyman like Jason Collins or Dan Gadzuric, who at least have size, are in their price range, and can be a serviceable stopgap when JON can't play. And with the compressed schedule (including back-to-back-to-backs), you know they'll need someone to fill in for JON. I know Chuck Hayes is a midget at the 5, but he's also in the price range ($2 million last season), and he just gets it done somehow. I just love guys who play with so much heart like that. Jason Collins looks like he just took an Ambien.

But all that hinges on Krstic and JON both being available. They really, really need to get Krstic. And they really, really need to keep their big men healthy.

If they spend a roster spot on a backup 4, one of those D-league guys might do, but I'd still prefer Craig Smith. There are few sure things, but I consider him a hidden gem. It's tough to get noticed playing on the Clippers in general and behind Blake Griffin in particular. My biggest concern is that he missed time with a herniated disk last season, and although he came back to play in 20 or so games, I don't know whether he got it "fixed" or just treated and whether it's going to be an ongoing issue. But before last season, he played in at least 74 games every season, and his per-36-minutes stats are pretty good (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithcr01.html).

The biggest issue is that there are numerous teams competing for the same small pool of free-agent big men. It's going to be a fast and frenzied signing period in a couple of weeks. Ainge has showed his ability in the past, and this will be another opportunity for him to make a difference. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Man, it sure is nice to be actually talking about the nuts and bolts of basketball again.

Outside

outside,

Yeah, we can dream, can't we, but eventually we return to earth. The Celtics aren't even thin up front, they're anemic. That's why I'm willing to take Gadzuric. ANYBODY with some beef on his bones is looking good to me. The rumors are that Davis is being actively and heavily courted by a few teams. IF we lose him we go from anemic to prison camp survivor. Why would we lose him? Well, according to some of the posts above we can't sign both Green and Davis to what they think they should get paid, so the question will be which one will Danny keep?

Thank God, we can actually talk about basketball again and not just about why we can't talk about basketball.

Another month of the lockout and you might have felt compelled to produce another opus, this time on George Mikan...or Bob Pettit...or...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't like this comment I just read in the following article:

Green was offered $8 million a year from the Thunder, but his agent, David Falk, wanted much more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Apoz8ylpN54U_2nF7uCHkOe8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nba_free_agents_112711

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 pm

steve3344 wrote:I don't like this comment I just read in the following article:

Green was offered $8 million a year from the Thunder, but his agent, David Falk, wanted much more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Apoz8ylpN54U_2nF7uCHkOe8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nba_free_agents_112711

Steve,

This will be a rambling, disjointed one because I'm in a hurry but I think you point out something interesting...

I do remember that. I recall thinking the trade for Green was in part to get quicker and deeper at SF for last year's playoffs and also partly to exchange one problem negotiation (Perkins) for a problem negotiation with a better player at a position they had a greater need to cover for the long-term (Green). Not proper English; I know. It appears to me that in the Eastern Conference having a strong SF is going to be more important than a bruiser center for the forseeable future, so I'm thinking it made more sense to risk overspending there. At least under the old rules.

Under the new agreement it looks like contracts will be shorter so problem contracts will go away quicker. If the Celts truly think Green is the potential answer they may be willing to spend a little more for a shorter duration, and have the room to go a bit higher with Sheed's contract value looking like it's slated for the new amnesty program among other things. Green could get paid a reasonable amount, get to show he's got the value he thinks he does and try to score a higher figure in a couple of years. I'm not sure any team will be willing to offer the Greens of the world anything incredible right now so perhaps we'll be able to do something to keep him.

We are above the cap, even if we let O'Neal go as has been suggested in some media. We do need centers and we're about to rebuild so I would more expect us to let Davis leave, keep O'Neal for a year and put Sheed's money into amnesty (if I understand correctly that we may) in order to sign Green.

I'm not trying to be exact with any of this but from what I've seen of the proposal we should be able to get something done. We may sacrifice at center by spending on Green but with at least O'Neal, Johnson and maybe even Krstic on board we'll probably find a bargain bin short-term rental to pick up a few fouls against the Howards of the world and go 3-4 bodies deep at center.

My bet is with the way the new agreement is shaping up and us unloading some big contracts soon now's the time to risk what we can on Green. If it doesn't pan out we can turn him over with the rest of the roster not too far from now.

The Green's and Davis's of the league may get dinged under this new agreement but it could help us keep new contracts manageable in cost and duration as we start cleaning house and looking at new roster combos.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:07 am

To anyone:

If it comes down to re-signing either Davis or Green, which way should the Celtics go?

Davis is coming off a year in which he made about $3 million, compared with $4.5 million for Green (who also has a qualifying offer of about $6 million from the Celtics). I don't know whether the qualifying offer changes Jeff's status with the team or with respect to the new CBA. What either Davis or Green can and will command on the open market is yet to be seen.

My guess is that, of the two, Glen Davis would be the more desirable selection in the short term because (1) he can compete pretty well with a lot of centers at a position where the Celtics are woefully weak, (2) he's a legitimate two-position player, and (3) he represents pretty solid offense inside, fair offense outside, and improving defensive each year.

However, I believe Jeff Green would be the more desirable long-term alternative because (1) he can also play two positions (although I greatly prefer him at SF), (2) at present, he's the most likely heir apparent to Paul Pierce down the road, and (3) I believe the Celtics will wind up with a very good to top-drawer long-term center next season even if they have to muddle through this season. Green hasn't shown me a lot on defense, but it's possible that more experience with the Celtics and a greater comfort level with the Green will help to remedy that situation. It could be that a more successful offensive role will give him the spark that will help improve his defense as well.

In my book, Green wins by a whisker, with the deciding factor being that he won't have a size disadvantage at his better and more long-term position with the Celts, whereas Glen will always be undersized (with limited jumping ability) at both his positions. Perhaps Green won't ever become dominant at SF, but it could happen; and I believe there's no chance of Davis ever dominating at either of his positions.

I'd rather have both of them remain with the team, but it's beginning to look as though this will necessarily be a season of difficult compromises.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:21 am

Here is something I found on Green Street:

Shortly after last season, we examined the free agent options that will be available to the Celtics at each position. The new (tentative) labor deal has changed the landscape a bit, and some previously available players either retired (Yao Ming), re-signed with their old teams (i.e., Nazr Mohammed and Greg Oden) or signed overseas (i.e., J.R. Smith, Wilson Chandler and Kenyon Martin), so it’s worthwhile to reexamine those options.

We’ll roll out one positional breakdown each day this week, starting with the C’s biggest need: Centers.

The Celtics started the 2010-11 season with four centers on the roster (Kendrick Perkins, Shaquille O’Neal, Jermaine O’Neal and Semih Erden) along with sometimes center Glen Davis. Now, a year later, only JO remains from that list. While Big Baby remains an option depending on his value on the open market, the C’s still need at least one if not two more guys who can play the five.

The Celtics have six players under contract in 2011-12 for a combined $64.3 million (Kevin Garnett, $21.2; Paul Pierce, $15.33; Ray Allen, $10; Rajon Rondo, $10; Jermaine O’Neal, $6.23; Avery Bradley, $1.53), and Jeff Green is due at least another $5.91 million this offseason. That leaves little wiggle room for Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

As a result, don’t expect any big-name free agents. So, let’s start by crossing Nene, Tyson Chandler, Greg Oden ($8.8 million qualifying offer) and Marc Gasol ($4.5 million Q.O.) off the list of potential targets. While any of those three would be a fantastic fit on the 2011-12 Celtics, they’re all out of their league.

That was only the appetizer. For the meat, follow the link:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/11/28/celtics-free-agent-options-at-center-redux/

enjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 am

Sam,
Re: Davis vs Green. Thanks for your logical explanation.
As an add-on: Davis is a lesser risk - he can be traded any time. Green, on the other hand, is projected to be a part of the core therefore isn't easy to be exchanged. I wonder how much of a gambler DA is?

Now, about JG. I thought that Celtics made him a QO just before the lockout. There couldn't be any interactions between teams and players during the lockout. So, how he could receive any offers?

On the related topic. Why in the world DA let go of Semih Erden. He'd be really useful now.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 am

gyso wrote:Here is something I found on Green Street:

Shortly after last season, we examined the free agent options that will be available to the Celtics at each position. The new (tentative) labor deal has changed the landscape a bit, and some previously available players either retired (Yao Ming), re-signed with their old teams (i.e., Nazr Mohammed and Greg Oden) or signed overseas (i.e., J.R. Smith, Wilson Chandler and Kenyon Martin), so it’s worthwhile to reexamine those options.

We’ll roll out one positional breakdown each day this week, starting with the C’s biggest need: Centers.

The Celtics started the 2010-11 season with four centers on the roster (Kendrick Perkins, Shaquille O’Neal, Jermaine O’Neal and Semih Erden) along with sometimes center Glen Davis. Now, a year later, only JO remains from that list. While Big Baby remains an option depending on his value on the open market, the C’s still need at least one if not two more guys who can play the five.

The Celtics have six players under contract in 2011-12 for a combined $64.3 million (Kevin Garnett, $21.2; Paul Pierce, $15.33; Ray Allen, $10; Rajon Rondo, $10; Jermaine O’Neal, $6.23; Avery Bradley, $1.53), and Jeff Green is due at least another $5.91 million this offseason. That leaves little wiggle room for Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

As a result, don’t expect any big-name free agents. So, let’s start by crossing Nene, Tyson Chandler, Greg Oden ($8.8 million qualifying offer) and Marc Gasol ($4.5 million Q.O.) off the list of potential targets. While any of those three would be a fantastic fit on the 2011-12 Celtics, they’re all out of their league.

That was only the appetizer. For the meat, follow the link:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/11/28/celtics-free-agent-options-at-center-redux/

enjoy

gyso,

Nice listing and summation of the Celtic center prospects. Not a very pretty picture painted, unfortunately, but it is what it is.

A 66 game season is almost a full season (80%), so we can't just try and sneak through with only JON at center. The end result of that would either be a horrendous record OR KG playing waaaaaay too many minutes at center.

Remember Chicago, with their 3-headed monster at center? We might be looking at a 4 headed monster, since we're not going to have one "go to" center that will be able to carry a heavy load. We'll have to be happy with just throwing cannon fodder at them.

Another poster (I don't remember who, as I write this) pointed out that an athletic, active SF, like Green, is more valuable in this conference than a physically dominating player like Davis. I'm of the mind that a big, physically dominating center is always in vogue. Rarely have pure running teams without size and bulk upfront, done well in the playoffs. I concur with Sam's assessment of Davis filling the better short term need and Green filling the better long term one.

Unless Danny pulls off a coup and lands a legit center (e.g. Dalembert, Chandler or buys out Krstic) I expect whomever he signs will be to a one-year contract, so he can have max cap room for D12 next season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see sign-and-trades, perhaps including Davis and another player, for a bearable center. Someone we can live with next year and for the next few years, but would be ok as a backup for D12 (no, I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I think it's pretty clear that Danny, and a few other GMs, are juggling their payroll to make a serious run at Howard next year).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:59 pm

According to sources (ahem), Boston isn't shopping Rondo, but they are willing to listen to offers. They feel they need more scoring to take the load off of Pierce.

After trading Perk, I'd have to say this would be one very ballsy move by Danny.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi,
I told you. Season is in full bloom. Laughing

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I'd love to get NeNe or Tyson Chandler. Regardless of the practicality aspect, David Aldridge says the C's are trying to get Chandler. Why can't we bring back Mike Sweetney, and or James Posey?

MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 pm

MD,
Can you provide link about David Aldridge please.
As for Chandler how in the world Celtics can get him? Do they have $$$ and/or trade chips for him?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm

sinus007 wrote:MD,
Can you provide link about David Aldridge please.
As for Chandler how in the world Celtics can get him? Do they have $$$ and/or trade chips for him?

AK

sinus,

Here is the link:

http://www.redsarmy.com/home/2011/11/celtics-looking-very-hard-at-tyson-chandler.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedsArmy+%28Red%27s+Army%3A+The+Voice+Of+Celtics+Fans%29

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:I'd love to get NeNe or Tyson Chandler. Regardless of the practicality aspect, David Aldridge says the C's are trying to get Chandler. Why can't we bring back Mike Sweetney, and or James Posey?
MD,

By all means, get Chandler if you can. But Sweetney and Posey are a double-bill of horror movies.

Michael Sweetney, starring in The Thing That Ate Boston

Let the Speculations begin Micheal-Sweetney-Before-and-After

James Posey, starring in The Thing That Wouldn't Die

Under contract with Indiana for one more season at $6.9 million, Posey is the Pacers' second highest-paid player, yet rode the bench the latter part of last season. His 2010-11 stats in 49 games: 4.9 points and 3.0 rebounds, .336 FG%, and .316 3PT% (where he takes the vast majority of his shots). His diminishing skills put him behind Josh McRoberts and Tyler Hansbrough in the rotation. Long after his ability as a valuable role player died, his reputation lives on like a zombie, particularly in Boston, where his contribution to the Celtics' 2008 title leads many of the faithful to want The Thing That Wouldn't Die back for one more run.

Here's Posey playing pick and roll defense.

Let the Speculations begin Pickin+nose
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:48 pm

I find it difficult to believe that Danny would really be shopping Rondo. In a competitive environment that is fast becoming a point guard's league, Rondo appears to be the closest player on the Celtics to a sure bet to be extremely valuable in the future—yes, even with his foul shooting problems.

On the other hand, Swish, if you really have questions about how much of a gambler is, I have just two words for you.....Kendrick Perkins!

The current Celtics salary structure does list Jeff Green as having a qualifying offer of just a tad under $6 million. I confess to a lack of knowledge of the implications of a qualifying offer. I bet gyso could clear that up quickly.

Although I consider it more boring than watching paint dry, it appears I (like all of us) will have to learn the rudiments of the CBA to keep my head from spinning around.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Outside wrote:
MDCelticsFan wrote:I'd love to get NeNe or Tyson Chandler. Regardless of the practicality aspect, David Aldridge says the C's are trying to get Chandler. Why can't we bring back Mike Sweetney, and or James Posey?
MD,

By all means, get Chandler if you can. But Sweetney and Posey are a double-bill of horror movies.

Michael Sweetney, starring in The Thing That Ate Boston

Let the Speculations begin Micheal-Sweetney-Before-and-After

James Posey, starring in The Thing That Wouldn't Die

Under contract with Indiana for one more season at $6.9 million, Posey is the Pacers' second highest-paid player, yet rode the bench the latter part of last season. His 2010-11 stats in 49 games: 4.9 points and 3.0 rebounds, .336 FG%, and .316 3PT% (where he takes the vast majority of his shots). His diminishing skills put him behind Josh McRoberts and Tyler Hansbrough in the rotation. Long after his ability as a valuable role player died, his reputation lives on like a zombie, particularly in Boston, where his contribution to the Celtics' 2008 title leads many of the faithful to want The Thing That Wouldn't Die back for one more run.

Here's Posey playing pick and roll defense.

Let the Speculations begin Pickin+nose

outside,

So many people were bemoaning Danny's unwillingness to give Posey that extra year of contract. Looks like Danny was dead on.

As far as Mike Sweetney goes, he thinks he's really popular with little kids because they're always running around him. In reality, they're just in orbit around his gravitational field. "That's not a moon, that's a player!" (My apologies to the late, great Alec Guinness).

What's sad is that he might end up being our moon.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next