NYCelt
sinus007
18 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Let the Speculations begin - Page 3 Empty Re: Let the Speculations begin

Post by tjmakz Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Bob,

I don't think Boston wants to get less athletic by signing Scal.
Nice and smart guy and all, but that ship has sailed already.
Played 5 min/game last year.

I think LA would rather have Delonte over Brown because Delonte can legitimately play the 1 or 2. Brown can play the 1 for a few minutes but that is not his game.

I like Brown's game a lot but he was not a very good triangle player. He will excel in a more open, running offense. He would be a great fit for Boston's spread out offense.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 pm

would Danny let Delonte slip away?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:would Danny let Delonte slip away?

Rosalie,

My point from an earlier post:

3. We both have the mini-$3M exemption, but do we want to use that on DW? Wouldn't we rather use that for an at-least-halfway-decent center?

It'd be nice to be able to "have it all", but I don't think we can under this CBA, given our salaries and needs.

Let's hope Doc and Danny can pull another rabbit out of their hats.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Well the Celtics are in a fine mess.

The # 1 priority is signing a BU center who must be good enough to be a starter given JON's potential for being injured.

I don't know how DA will be able to find his way around this one.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but this current problem goes back to the foolish Perkins trade that brought us Jeff Green who is also a free agent .

When I look at our free agents I think the number 1 priority should be to resign Glen Davis. Polls disagree with me on this as Jeff Green is the one that most Celtics fans think we must retain.

And DA probably feels the same way because if we do not resign Jeff Green then the Perkins trade looks even worse. DA is a gambler and like most gamblers you end up losing more than you gain.

GYSO can you enlighten me on how the new CBA impacts sign and trade options?

Also can the Celtics not use the MLE to resign their own players that are free agents?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:20 pm

I really think our team is just going to look very familer come xmas..

we need a lot of players and have little resources to sign them

jeff and baby will likely both have to be back, no way to get anyone else at their cailber any cheaper

delonte west comes back, he likes it here, knows the system, is well liked and the C's have been willing ot look past his past troubles. its a win- win for both sides.. im thinking he might again be willing to sign for vet min. in hopes another yr with celtics can raise his value

Scal needs/wants a paycheck, knows the system is well liked by the team, would sign a min contract i think to be able to play here once more.. he's a Vet presence the team would apreciate. (and Doc could prolly use an extra coach)

troy murphy come back.. there doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in anyone else in him, and like Scal he needs a paycheck, there was a time he'd put up nice stats. he's a Big and we need them.

that woudl bring the team to 11, add the 2 rookies and someone on the 3 mill deal and we got 14 guys..

i think whatever happens that this team really must rely on its bench more than ever before (not something Doc does a lot) for us to be healthy come playoff time..

last season Doc talked about giving the starters less time, but injuries and his mistrust i think of the young'uns prevented that.. now more than ever before i think the minutes of the 3 vets are really goingto have to be watched, that means Doc taking them out of games once the final result is no longer in question..

not doign so i think will yield a similer result as last summer when it all matters most..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:22 pm

i have a question, can Paul opt out of his contract for next season?

i was thinking, if he could, then resign for less later on...

we'd have plenty of cash to play with in f/a before resigning the 3 HOFers.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:54 pm

I find it hard to believe that Pierce would opt out of his contract, he has a big deal, the one he had been waiting for, so do you honestly think that he would do that out of the goodness of his heart???? If we ask that of him why not
KG this year? He is making big bucks!

Honestly Matty, would you give up something you had been working so hard for???? It just doesn't work that way. Much as I would love to see it, I just don't think it will happen.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:38 pm

The courting of NBA free agents is expected to begin on Monday at 10 a.m. ET, according to an ESPN.com report.

The reports states that teams were notified Saturday that they would be allowed to begin communicating with players – and free agents – on Monday.

The start of NBA training camps is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 9. A 66-game season will open on Christmas Day.

Teams have not been allowed to contact their players despite owners and the players’ union agreeing in principle to a new collective bargaining agreement last week. Players have, however, been allowed to return to team facilities to take part in voluntary workouts.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:21 am

Some random Boston free agent rumblings...clipped and pasted from clip and paste site HoopsHype...

Von Wafer heading back from his Italian team. Boston has expressed some interest but he says he wants to explore his options. - HoopsWord

Glen Davis had expressed that the Hornets are one of the teams he would be interested in if an offer is made. - New Orleans Times-Picaune

According to a source close to the center, the Heat, Knicks, Celtics, 76ers, Warriors and Bobcats have expressed interest in Kwame Brown. - SI.com

The Heat could use a portion of the midlevel to lure free-agent center Kwame Brown, who is strongly considering Miami. The Charlotte Bobcats are also pushing to hold onto Brown. - Yahoo! Sports

The Cavaliers have made it no secret they want to resign free agent Anthony Parker. They do have competition for his services, however. Several clubs have inquired about the 36-year-old Parker, sources have told the Plain Dealer, including the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics. - Cleveland Plain Dealer

The Celtics have expressed interest in bringing back Jeff Green, who came to Boston as a part of the much-criticized trade that sent center Kendrick Perkins to Oklahoma City at last season’s deadline. Green is weighing his options, which include a best-case scenario of signing a multiyear deal with Boston, working out a sign-and-trade, or accepting the Celtics’ qualifying offer and waiting to become a free agent next summer. “Jeff has a desire to be in Boston,’’ Falk said. “Boston has a need. I hope Danny and I can come up with a creative way to reach an agreement.’’ - Boston Globe

The 6-foot-9-inch, 235-pound Green came to Boston with the expectation that he’d be long and athletic and able to play both forward spots and even some center. But for the first time since he was a kid, he was coming off the bench, and the adjustment was difficult. He played 26 games (two starts) with Boston, and his numbers dipped. As a starter (49 games) in Oklahoma City, Green averaged 37 minutes, 15.2 points, and 5.6 rebounds. With Boston, his minutes dropped to 23.5 a night, his points to 9.8, and his rebounds to 3.3. “I think Jeff feels like he has unfinished business in Boston,’’ Falk said. “I’m not sure the people in Boston have seen the real Jeff Green.’’ - Boston Globe

The Celtics also have had conversations about Lakers swingman Shannon Brown, Bobcats center Kwame Brown, and former Celtic Marquis Daniels, whose season was cut short when he suffered a bruised spinal cord in a Feb. 6 collision with Magic guard Gilbert Arenas. “It’s something we’re talking about,’’ said agent Mark Bartelstein, who represents all three. “We’re having conversations. Nothing’s been decided yet. We’ll kind of see what happens here over the next couple days. - Boston Globe

The Lakers have interest in Delonte West, who played for coach Mike Brown in Cleveland and last played for Boston, as a potential fill-in at guard and also are keen on Indiana free agent Josh McRoberts, according to a source with knowledge of their thinking. ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that Denver free-agent guard Arron Afflalo is also on the Lakers' radar. - ESPN.com

After playing in Europe the past three years, a stronger, more mature Bostjan Nachbar, whose nickname is Boki, is hoping to join an established team team that will give him an opportunity to play regularly. “I’m sure there are teams that could use what I can do,” Nachbar said Thursday. “I’m confident over time it’s going to show I still can play and help a team that plays for high goals.” Nachbar’s agent, Marc Cornstein, estimated he’s spoken to 10-12 teams about his client. Among them are the Nets, Knicks, Celtics, Sixers, Pistons, Hornets and Spurs. - Bergen Record

The Celtics have wasted no time reaching out to free agents who fit their defensive mold, including Reggie Evans, who said yesterday he was “honored’’ by their interest. Evans could be an instant salve to the Celtics’ rebounding woes. The rugged, 6-foot-9-inch forward is a solid interior defender with a mean streak. Perennially one of the league leaders in rebounds per minute, Evans grabbed a career-best 11.5 per game last season for the Raptors. He has played just 58 games over the past two years because of injuries, including foot surgery last season, but said he is healthy. Teams can begin signing free agents on Friday. “I was kind of surprised when they reached out to me,’’ Evans said. “It was an honor, especially with the kind of players they have on their team.’’ - Boston Globe

And the ongoing saga of Rajon Rondo...

According to one source, Rondo has been angry with the sense the Celts are shopping him, but his representative used calmer language to describe the player’s response. “I think he’s just curious,” said Bill Duffy, who was at the Celtics practice facility yesterday. “?‘Do they want me, or do they not want me?’ Those are the prominent questions that he’s asking. “It’s just disturbing. It’s disturbing for everybody. It’s disturbing for me. It’s disturbing for him, because it makes one think, ‘Where do I stand in this relationship?’ Particularly because he’s a darn good player, and this is a very successful franchise, and he’s one of the key players on the franchise. - Boston Herald

Sources confirmed days ago that the Celtics have discussed Rondo in a deal for Hornets point guard Chris Paul and in other scenarios, but nothing has come of those talks. President Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers endorsed Rondo on Thursday, but stopped short of saying the club definitely wouldn’t let him go. - Boston Herald

Save for the now old and odd Rondo watch, nothing that major or all that helpful looking rumored yet. There are one or two names being mentioned that I have no idea why we would want, but it makes for entertaining discussion.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 am

NYCelt,
Thanks.
Did anybody see how this Bostjan play? I understand he played for Rockets for a few years and then went to Europe. He's 6-9 but with 221lb - doesn't sound like a banger.

I'm kind of surprised that all the rumblings mentioned only one center, Brown. Are there any others worth looking at and Celtics can afford?

I would take chance on MD. He showed quite a few positives last season before that freak accident.

Oh well, so many ???? Is it playoffs time yet?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:10 am

Who can we trade to get Oden? Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 am

swedeinestonia wrote:Who can we trade to get Oden? Very Happy

swede,

Let's only make that a deal if Oden would come along with a good orthopedic surgeon.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:58 am

sinus007 wrote:NYCelt,
Thanks.
Did anybody see how this Bostjan play? I understand he played for Rockets for a few years and then went to Europe. He's 6-9 but with 221lb - doesn't sound like a banger.

I'm kind of surprised that all the rumblings mentioned only one center, Brown. Are there any others worth looking at and Celtics can afford?

I would take chance on MD. He showed quite a few positives last season before that freak accident.

Oh well, so many ???? Is it playoffs time yet?

AK

AK,

I agree with you, Daniels might be worth bringing back.

As far as Bostjan Nachbar, I barely remember seeing him play so I guess he didn't leave a big impression either way.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm not sure this deserves to be in the "Speculation" thread, but I think it's a tad too early to start a "Camp" thread.

1. Jujuan Johnson is in Waltham working out. Played some pickup games with Rondo this summer. Said he learned a lot about Rondo's alley oop timing. Wonderful!!

2. Avery Bradley now admits that he didn't practice much last year (by that I'm assuming he means scrimmages, NOT suicides etc. Not running drills if you are healthy enough to do them will get you cut, not benched) because he was completely intimidated and didn't feel comfortable on the court with 4 All-Stars. He played like a deer in headlights too. When he went to Europe, his agent told them he must play point. He says it helped him a lot and that experience with lower-level pressure helped him a lot. Wonderful!!

3. Glen Davis is working out in Florida, not Waltham. He says he doesn't want to get too close to any team until a contract is signed. Another brain fart by Davis. He also had a little back-and-forth with Pierce this summer about the progress of the lockout negotiations (PP being the team captain and players rep for the Celtics). He complained that PP wasn't keeping him up-to-date enough. Yeah, pissing off your captain is a good way to get in good with your teammates. How about a sign-and-trade? We could sure use the bodies...

4. Ray Allen was the first player in the gym, as soon as they were allowed, and is working out like the consummate professional he is.

5. Rondo was the second player in the gym.

6. According to E'taun Moore, Scal was mentoring him about what to expect in the NBA while in Italy (they both played for Benetton Treviso). Yet another reason to love Scal. No wonder Doc loves him and Thibodeaux brought him with him to Chicago.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm

NYCelt wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:Who can we trade to get Oden? Very Happy

swede,

Let's only make that a deal if Oden would come along with a good orthopedic surgeon.

Regards

I know and agree.

He is the kind of player though that IF he works out (big IF) could be something to build on/with and to a certain degree we are not going to get much if we just want to play it safe. Do not know what could be done though, I doubt portland would accept a package with big baby+something for Oden Razz
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 pm

NYCelt wrote:Some random Boston free agent rumblings...clipped and pasted from clip and paste site HoopsHype...
NYCelt, thanks for the tidbits. Here's what stuck out to me.

Glen Davis had expressed that the Hornets are one of the teams he would be interested in if an offer is made. - New Orleans Times-Picaune
I know he went to LSU, but interested in New Orleans? Really? This guy has no clue how good he's had it in Boston.

According to a source close to the center, the Heat, Knicks, Celtics, 76ers, Warriors and Bobcats have expressed interest in Kwame Brown. - SI.com
I could never have imagined that Kwame Brown would be sought-after, even coveted, by so many teams. Have they seen this guy play? Plus column: big body, looks like an athlete, has the occasional play or stretch that makes you think he can play. Minus column: hands of stone, head to match, Steve Nash has more basketball IQ in his toenail clippings, poor offensive game, would shrink under the bright lights of anything resembling a meaningful playoff game. But maybe I'm too high on him.

Sarcasm aside, what has the league come to that even title contenders will court practically anything resembling a center?

According to one source, Rondo has been angry with the sense the Celts are shopping him, but his representative used calmer language to describe the player’s response. “I think he’s just curious,” said Bill Duffy, who was at the Celtics practice facility yesterday. “‘Do they want me, or do they not want me?’ Those are the prominent questions that he’s asking. It’s just disturbing. It’s disturbing for everybody. It’s disturbing for me. It’s disturbing for him, because it makes one think, ‘Where do I stand in this relationship?’"
My takeaway from this is that Rondo needs a new agent. Having one who feeds into his insecurities and sensitivities is not helpful. This is what his agent should be telling him:

"Have confidence in your abilities, continue working to address the weaknesses in your game, and do anything necessary to dispel the notion that you're an insecure, needy player who will pout if he doesn't get his way. You're making $10 million a year. This is a rough-and-tumble business, and trades get discussed. Grow up and accept it. Oh, and while you're at it, go talk to Ray Allen, both about your shooting and how to be a professional."

I think Rondo is something special. He's a spectacular athlete, gifted passer, tremendous defender, and stellar rebounder. I wonder if he understands how truly great he could be, and that he holds the key to whether he becomes that player. He is so lucky to have fallen into this situation, where he could blossom among a special, selfless group of stars and with a coach like Doc. He has taken such tremendous strides, and there are additional great strides ready for him to take, but he will only get there by acknowledging, addressing, and eliminating his weaknesses through personal dedication and resolve. All that comes from within. Don't point fingers in blame or say, woe is me. It's okay to take a perceived affront personally, but take it as a challenge, use it as fire to fuel your workouts and harden your resolve.

It's probably not fair to read all that into one comment by his agent, and I was pleased to see that Rondo was the second player reporting to the gym (after Ray). But I see so much potential in him, and I worry about him not getting there because of his mental and emotional approach. I hope he works through it.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 am

You see what the Lakers are on the verge of obtaining both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. They have offered to New Orleans and Orlando a combination of any player or players on their roster, other than Bryant. This will tip the scales deceidedly in favor of LA over Miami. Paul didn't want to sign an extension to come to Boston, buth he'll sign extensions into his grave to play in LA. These young punks don't want to play for the franchise Bill Russell is the historical cornerstone for. That is a sad commentary on the values of young athletes and young people generally. This is why the NBA from here on in will be only promising for a select few. Sadly, it appears Boston won't be one of those franchises. Stern doesn't care either, as lomng as his star driven concept of league marketing is perpetuated. The Celtics did things the right way when Red was alive and in charge. Now, the right way has no place in the NBA, or the USA

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:52 am

Sad but true? MD I don't know if your post about todays NBA is true but I do know that it is sad and that I am in total agreement with you. Premier Stern won't reap what he has sown as he will soon retire and be recognized as the greatest commish in sports history ( don't worry Mr. Rozelle, I know better). The league and the "adult adolescents" that make it up have really turned me off. As I've stated here many times before, I am a Celtic fan, not an NBA fan. That is all do to the individual is the focus marketing by the league offices and the boorish, selfish, world revolves around me attitudes of this generations players and this generation in general. I guess at at the age of 48 I've become a grumpy old man.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:19 am

MD and Willjr

In a time not all that long ago it (the NBA) was still fun to watch. Loved those 70 teams and not only the C's but some other good teams from that era. Then the Bird Magic act of the 80's took over but something seemed to change with the dawning of the Jordan era that continues today it seems to me. Not sure just what happened or how it happened but it's not the same.

Perhaps we just hear about the "other" things now more than we did back then. Now if we want an update we can get it NOW. Heck I remember not being able to stay up for late games and turning on the RADIO!! to get the scores in the morning. Being in the RFD area, our local paper was always a day late.

It's a smaller world and players have the ability to move much more freely. Even with attemoting to level the playing field there are still over 2/3 of the teams that will have no chance to win a title. The NFL has done it so much better, the league negotiates the TV deals not individual team and of course larger markets get sweeter deals.

Not sure it the the NBA is really improved under Stern will be interesting to see just what happens when all of the dust settles.

At least I get the repreive of watching some High School kids play this evening that actually "care" about the game. And although many mistakes will be made it will not be for lack of effort.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 am

Also read where PP and KG have reached out to Davis.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 am

dboss wrote:Also read where PP and KG have reached out to Davis.

Dboss

reached out and smacked some sense into him I hope!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Rumors du jour, 12/6:

1. Danny Ainge called Davis the first chance he had, legally, to reassure him. Davis' agent said that was important. Detroit is also interested, they can throw the whole $5M MLE at him, but we have Bird rights and can go over the cap to sign him.

2. Leon "Junkyard Dog" Powe says that he's talking to the Griz and the Celtics. IF HEALTHY, I'd love to see Leon back in green. He would allow Jeff Green to play 3 full-time. Leon had a great game against us last year. He only averaged 8.8 mpg last season in 16 games, so I have serious questions about his health, but his stats/36mpg were still good. He will definitely play for the vet minimum, we need bodies and this body, in particular, is already familiar with Doc's system. Remember how painful it was to watch Green and Krstic trying to pick it up on the fly without a training camp?

3. Danny is also reaching out to Marquis Daniels. Another fragile ex-Celtic. It could be like "Old School Days" around here again. Or "Groundhog Day". I'm not sure that you can truly claim to have depth if 1/2 your bench could be in the ER having surgery at any moment.

4. Shane Battier has listed the Celtics as one of the 6 teams he's considering. Personally, considering he made $7M last year, I don't see him coming here for the $3M mini-MLE. But let's keep the dream alive. I'd love to have Shane Battier in green. Hard nosed, defensively oriented, unselfish, fundamentally sound, high basketball IQ, good locker room presence. He was born to wear green.

5. There's a rumor running around that the Celtics would trade for Chris Paul even if he won't agree to an extension (the idea being that a year in green will turn his head and make him want to re-up with us). Considering we'd almost certainly have to give up Rondo for this, I'd have to file this under "are you freaking nuts!!!?).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Bob

Leon's surgery now will have been 2+ years ago. Always was a hard worker and unless there are unknown complications he should be reasonably close to what he was before..... HOWEVER he has had multiple knee injuries and that is the big question, can he STAY healthy? That is anyones guess.

And I agree with #5 totally!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Another rumor du jour:

The Lakers will make everybody on their roster available (except for Kobe) to acquire both Howard and Paul.

If true, that's making Danny look like a librarian.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:13 pm

bob,

I would be happy with LA getting Delonte West and Jason Kapono...
Trading for Howard or Paul is a long shot and I don't see them trading for both players.
Why would New Orleans want Pau? Pau is an excellent player that can put a championship caliber team over the top but he is not one to build your team around. And he is 31 years old. If anything Pau would go to another team and they would trade someone to New Orleans.

Yes, there are tons of rumors out there. It should be very interesting starting Friday when free agents can sign.

Boston should take a look at Fesenko. He is a big dude that plays physical and has a chip on his shoulder. Not much offense, but he hasn't really been given the chance.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next