bobheckler
NYCelt
sinus007
18 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Let the Speculations begin - Page 5 Empty Re: Let the Speculations begin

Post by tjmakz Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm

bobheckler wrote:According to Sherrod B., another player on the Celtics radar is Mike Dunleavy Jr., formerly of GSW and Indiana.

Very long at 3, 6'9". Offensively, he has great vision, has good ballhandling skills, is a superior passer, good range on his shot (he shot 40% from 3 last season) and has the kind of basketball IQ you'd expect from the son of a former player and NBA head coach.

Defensively, KG is going to make him cry. A lot.

If Danny is dying for shooters, he might want to take a chance, but we're going to have to surround him with defenders because Dunleavy will get posted up all day and all night. Not just by other 3s and 4s, but by guards. He's soft.

bob

I don't see why Boston would have Dunleavy on their radar.
He is almost the same player that Jeff Green is. Just like Green, he is a 3/4 tweener. Not a tough guy. Has good basketball instincts and plays all aspects of the game well, but is not exceptional in any aspect.
He would be an asset to have on any team, but I don't see how much of a chance he would get with the Celtics current roster. If Green was traded, he would fit nicely on the Celtics team.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:25 pm

It is hard to keep track of all the reports that are coming out of NO about Chris Paul for ???????? Now it seems Golden State is not willing to let Stephen Curry go without Paul signing an extention, same with Eric Gordon. These teams will not give up young talent making low money (they probably are still in their first contract), so to take on Paul's money without some type
of a guarantee seems foolish. Danny is like a gunslinger, he is willing to take this chance. Right or wrong, I will not blame him for trying.

I just heard that they are close to a deal with Marquis Daniels, which doesn't surprise me. As of right now, when they open camp on Friday, they
will have only 7 players there unless something happens and all the dominoes fall into place. Interesting week, that is for sure.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:41 am

Hi,
I'm perplexed by the CP trade to Boston (a rumor so far, but very close to reality). The part that ticks me off is it goes with no guaranty of any kind for extension. Either DA became a mad scientist obsessed with CP or he knows something that we don't know.
Also, I don't understand giving up the Clippers pick when the team is on the verge of rebuilding.
Oh well... one more day and this thread will be history.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:45 am

File this under the reduntant catagory

Mike (5 sandwiches over a picnic limit) Sweetney has been invited to camp.
At least it will make Baby (if he shows) look in shape.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:12 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:According to Sherrod B., another player on the Celtics radar is Mike Dunleavy Jr., formerly of GSW and Indiana.

Very long at 3, 6'9". Offensively, he has great vision, has good ballhandling skills, is a superior passer, good range on his shot (he shot 40% from 3 last season) and has the kind of basketball IQ you'd expect from the son of a former player and NBA head coach.

Defensively, KG is going to make him cry. A lot.

If Danny is dying for shooters, he might want to take a chance, but we're going to have to surround him with defenders because Dunleavy will get posted up all day and all night. Not just by other 3s and 4s, but by guards. He's soft.

bob

I don't see why Boston would have Dunleavy on their radar.
He is almost the same player that Jeff Green is. Just like Green, he is a 3/4 tweener. Not a tough guy. Has good basketball instincts and plays all aspects of the game well, but is not exceptional in any aspect.
He would be an asset to have on any team, but I don't see how much of a chance he would get with the Celtics current roster. If Green was traded, he would fit nicely on the Celtics team.

TJ,

I concur, for the most part, with your comparison of Dunleavy and Green, although I think Green's a bit tougher (more of a knock on Dunleavy than an endorsement of Green's ruggedness).

My gut is telling me that IF Green is included in any trade to New Orleans for Paul, Danny's looking at Dunleavy as his replacement.

My gut is also churning at these prospects.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I'm perplexed by the CP trade to Boston (a rumor so far, but very close to reality). The part that ticks me off is it goes with no guaranty of any kind for extension. Either DA became a mad scientist obsessed with CP or he knows something that we don't know.
Also, I don't understand giving up the Clippers pick when the team is on the verge of rebuilding.
Oh well... one more day and this thread will be history.

AK

sinus,

The Clippers' pick will be worth less since the Clips are a team on the way up.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:14 am

beat wrote:File this under the reduntant catagory

Mike (5 sandwiches over a picnic limit) Sweetney has been invited to camp.
At least it will make Baby (if he shows) look in shape.

beat

beat,

Make that 5 buckets of KFC over a picnic limit.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:19 am

He must be around, so he will be a body in training camp tomorrow. Maybe he and Baby could diet together!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:He must be around, so he will be a body in training camp tomorrow. Maybe he and Baby could diet together!

He is a ROUND...... that much I am sure off!

As for the diet............ I can only imagine. Perhaps only 3 big macs not the ususal 6.

Sad part is both these guys have skills but their weight will always be the fly in the ointment. I just can't imagine having the chance to make this sort of money playing a game. Then letting the dinner table(s) get in the weigh(t) If they can't dedicate themselves to staying in shape how can they expect the team to dedicate itself to them? We shall see shortly what they look like and take it from there I guess.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:09 am

Right now, between definites and likely appearances (no trades), camp will start like this:

Rondo
PP
RA
KG
Bradley
Q
Gilbert Brown
Sweetney
JON
JJJ
E'Taun

Danny submitted a qualifying offer to Green. This means he'll probably be at camp.

That's 11 plus Green. If Reggie Evans shows up, that'll be 12. Davis makes a possible 13 (although I'm not counting on it).

Twelve players are enough to run scrimmages. We still need another center, though.

Three players are rookies (JJJ, Moore, Brown) and one is a sophomore (Bradley) and one hasn't played in a few years (Sweetney). That's half the squad.

If the Paul deal goes through, we'll be down Rondo and Green, to be replaced by a single veteran, which will make us even more unstable. I wonder how much of Danny's interest in Paul is related to LA's interest in Paul?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 am

The Celts have also invited Jamal Sampson and Greg Stiemsma to camp.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sampsja01.html

Sampson is 6'11", 230#. Underwhelming stats (which is why I never heard of him. Most 6'11" ballers are well-known).

Stiemsma is 6'11", 260# (finally!! some beef!!) and played in the D-league (Sampson actually played in the NBA for a few years). Underwhelming, even in the D-league.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/greg_stiemsma/

Neither one of these guys make me feel better about our center situation. Not at all.

Also, here's Sweetney's stats: 6'8", 275#. That's not a moon, it's a space station with a basketball!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sweetmi01.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:32 am

Bob

275? Sweetney?? Yeah right.

So when is he going to put his other foot on the scale?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 am

Michael Sweetney playing in Puerto Rico in july:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWRelaacE8

This is much newer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xoflo0FaE8
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 am

beat wrote:Bob

beat

beat,

What's truly sad about this is that, considering our desperate need for big men, he actually has a chance of making the team.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 am

beat wrote:Bob

beat

Very funny beat.
Might be true too...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Trading for Paul without him signing an extension is not the end of the world, since for the team that traded for him, it would free up about 16 million dollars if he elected to sign with another team. In addition, Paul Pierce is on the books for about 15 mil in 2013-14 but that amount is only guaranteed for 4-5 million if he is waived by June 30,2013. Therefore, should the Celtics choose to waive Pierce, they could have about zero dollars on the books for the 2013-14 free agency season. I also believe that the new amnesty rule, will really allow those teams under the salary cap to pick up some real good players on the cheap, to fill out their rosters. Certainly better than the players that you get for the Veteran minimum contract.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:31 pm

As the Basketball Turns...

So the Hornets are reportedly down to Chris Paul deals with us offering up Green and Rondo or The Lakers with a package featuring Gasol. Apparently they're not crazy about either and will wait if need be. They better not wait too long because offers are bound to dry up as the season advances. Not that we care what they do unless he ends up on another team in the East or specifically the Atlantic.

Rules question; if we ever really do end up playing Sweetney, would we only be allowed three other players on the floor?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 pm

NYCelt wrote:As the Basketball Turns...

So the Hornets are reportedly down to Chris Paul deals with us offering up Green and Rondo or The Lakers with a package featuring Gasol. Apparently they're not crazy about either and will wait if need be. They better not wait too long because offers are bound to dry up as the season advances. Not that we care what they do unless he ends up on another team in the East or specifically the Atlantic.

Rules question; if we ever really do end up playing Sweetney, would we only be allowed three other players on the floor?

No, the Celtics would have to have 4 other players on the court but the league would allow Sweetney to wear 3 numbers on his uniform.
Two numbers would look too small on his frame...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:55 pm

NYCelt wrote:As the Basketball Turns...

I was thinking along the lines of if we had to travel on a comercial flight......... would we have to pay for an extra seat?

beat

A side story, when in College at Geneseo we were only in the second year of the schools Hockey program, we were playing Gannon and they had a huge player and on skates he seemed 7 feet tall. Of course my buddies and I had spent the day preping for the game up town in the various watering holes so that by the time we got to the game we were rather .... well ... not quite sure which word to use but we were ready. Everytime that goon got on the ice we kept hollaring TOO MANY MEN ON THE ICE>>>> over and over. Of course we hollared other things too, but this is a convivial board and I wouldn't want to mess with the management.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 pm

swish wrote: Trading for Paul without him signing an extension is not the end of the world, since for the team that traded for him, it would free up about 16 million dollars if he elected to sign with another team. In addition, Paul Pierce is on the books for about 15 mil in 2013-14 but that amount is only guaranteed for 4-5 million if he is waived by June 30,2013. Therefore, should the Celtics choose to waive Pierce, they could have about zero dollars on the books for the 2013-14 free agency season. I also believe that the new amnesty rule, will really allow those teams under the salary cap to pick up some real good players on the cheap, to fill out their rosters. Certainly better than the players that you get for the Veteran minimum contract.

swish

In addition to the above. The 2012-13 team with or without Chris Paul would also figure to be a lotterry team if Ainge chose to tank the 2012-13 season by filling out the roster with a bunch of one year contracts for Veteran minimum players. A lottery draft pick for the 2013-14 season plus any other draft picks that they could have for the 2013-14 season plus tons of cap space and you have the potential for a montrous rebuilding year for the Celtics.
Swish
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:45 pm

The Chris Paul trade talk might be adjusted with another pg possibly being on the open market very soon. It is rumored that Chauncey Billups might be an amnesty casualty by the Knicks in order for them to sign Tyson Chandler who seemed to be very close to signing with Golden State.
If Billups is not picked up by a team that is under the Cap, I would think that he would take the veterans minimum to sign with a top team.
Interesting rumors...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:11 pm

tjmakz wrote:The Chris Paul trade talk might be adjusted with another pg possibly being on the open market very soon. It is rumored that Chauncey Billups might be an amnesty casualty by the Knicks in order for them to sign Tyson Chandler who seemed to be very close to signing with Golden State.
If Billups is not picked up by a team that is under the Cap, I would think that he would take the veterans minimum to sign with a top team.
Interesting rumors...

TJ,

I'd take Billups back in green, for the minimum, if he comes available.

As a backup, of course. Either Rondo or Paul would play in front of him at his age.

Having said that, LAL might be more appetizing to him, since they need someone who can play bigger minutes to help out Fisher and Blake.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi,
Because of all the fuss about CP for RR the other very important need for Celtics was almost forgotten. I'm talking about a center. Well, with all due respect to all comments about MS I don't count him as viable option.
So, any new rumors about anyone of significance coming to Boston?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Bob,
If Billups becomes available and is targeted by LAL he'd go there, as you suggested. Which would benefit Celtics in terms of availability of DW.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:27 pm

I doubt NY will amnesty Billups but if they do, I would expect that he would be claimed by a team who is under the cap, especially since he only has 1 more year on his contract.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next