wideclyde
bobheckler
arambone
dboss
Shamrock1000
17 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker? Empty Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker?

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed May 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about this kid? I know that he is 7'0" feet tall, and 220 lbs soaking wet, from Sudan, and that he just finished a PG year at some basketball prep/high school in Canada. Apparently since he is 19 and is one year removed from high school graduation and thus eligible for the draft (remember, he's a PG, which is an extra year of high school for athletically gifted kids to better prepare for college). I watched a couple of video montages, and he looks quick and coordinated, and is supposedly developing 3-point range. Also read an article about, and an interview with him, and he seems to be a hard worker with his head on straight. Right now he is just too light and weak to bang with the big boys in the nba, thus he is pegged to go 39th in this years draft. Since we have 8 picks this year, I wonder if Ainge should take a gamble on this kid, and stash him overseas or in the D-league (can you even stash a player in the D-league with costing a roster spot?). Maybe I have a soft spot because he says he's basing his game on Kevin Garnett rather than Kevin Durant, maybe he has just learned to say all the right things, but I think this kid might be worth a gamble - he could develop into a force. Anyone else know anything about his game?

Here are a few links:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thon-Maker-70462/ (good interview with the kid)
http://www.stack.com/a/go-inside-thon-makers-training-for-the-nba-combine (good interview with his trainer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-VFbiqe0kQ (youtube montage of him destroying high school talent)

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker? Empty Re: Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker?

Post by dboss Wed May 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Shamrock

Maker showed up om my radar about 18 months ago and I thought he looked like a kid with a ton of talent.

I would definitely take a flyer on him and let him spend some time in the D league. He appears to have a very good handle for a guy 7 feet tall. Very long but needs to develop his body and his game.

He projects into the late first round early 2nd round.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker? Empty Re: Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker?

Post by arambone Wed May 04, 2016 6:05 pm

I just made a two part, 20 minute total scouting report on him:

Part two is extended highlights and lowlights of his most recent available game, the final game of his season:

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Draft Express has him going #39, right in front of Cowens' bromance, AJ Hammons.  We all know we could use a legit big.  Are these guys legit, or are the projects, or are they players that do well in college but whose games don't translate to the NBA?

We have #23, #31 and #45, #52 so it is not crazy to think that we could end up with 1, or even both, of them (we'd have to move up from 45 for the 2nd).

Draftexpress = #39 (Maker), #38 (Hammons)
nbadraft.net = #28 (Maker, #29 (Hammons)
mynbadraft.com = #23 (Maker, CELTICS!!),#47 (Hammons)

Thon Maker, 7'1", 225#, 7'3 1/2" wingspan, 9'5 1/2" standing reach, 19 years old.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thon-Maker-70462/

A J Hammons, 7'0", 278#, 7'3" wingspan, 23 years old (24 in August).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/A.J.-Hammons-7070/

Hey Cowens!  What do you think?  I know you love Hammons, but he's almost 24 years old.  That's not old, but it does make me wonder about his ambition.  A kid his size with any basketball skills at all should have come out 2-3 years ago, at least.

I'll tell you what I think, after watching all 4 of these videos, tomorrow or so.

How about the rest of you? If we don't take Labissiere, and I don't think we will but I'm not Danny, then there is a good chance we might grab at least one of these guys. Which?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed May 04, 2016 6:10 pm

I made this chart comparing the stats of 2015 stellar rookie class of PF/C hybrids. Most all of these guys were viewed as centers for the most part, but they all had some or most of their rookie success at PF.
Anybody who is 7 foot or over automatically gets labeled a center, but if they are mobile they usually make good or great power forwards.

Thon Maker fits that description, as does Jakob Poeltl.

Should the Celtics look at Thon Maker? 70d0fbf

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed May 04, 2016 6:48 pm

arambone wrote:I just made a two part, 20 minute total scouting report on him:

Part two is extended highlights and lowlights of his most recent available game, the final game of his season:

Nice scouting report. Especially liked the bit showing him interacting with his trainer. On a related note, I was really impressed with his interview (I posted a link in the original post), where he came across as really being a student of the game. Combined with his high motor, this desire to learn and improve can make the difference not only between a good player and a great player, but also between a solid nba player and a never-has-been. Also agree that the professional scouts and writers might be missing the boat on this kid. It is easy and safe to say someone won't be that good since very few players become very good players. Additionally, seems like they are over compensating for the "hype" surrounding this kid a couple of years ago. Given his size, physical tools, motor, intelligence, and willingness to learn, he is a guy I wouldn't mind taking and trying to develop.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed May 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks.

Here's an awesome new article about Thon and how he is training right now:

In 2005, Amir Johnson became the last player drafted into the NBA directly from high school. In 2006, a new collective bargaining agreement required all propsects to be at least 19 years old and at least one year removed from high school, leading to a flurry of "one-and-dones"—elite players who spent a single year in college before bolting to the NBA.

But Thon Maker is a unique case. Born in Sudan, the 7-foot-1 phenom has been playing high school basketball at Athlete Institue in Ontario. He applied for early entry into the NBA Draft because he felt his fifth year at the Institute qualified as something of a post-graduate year, which would meet the NBA's "one year removed from high school" requirement. Commissioner Adam Silver granted his request, and Maker will become the first high school student in over a decade to go from prep to pro.

Questions remain about Maker's game and how it will translate to the next level. Though he possesses both the ability to shoot from the outside and dribble the rock, the 7-footer has a stick body and will need to hone his raw skills to match the strength and speed of the men he'll be playing against. Some experts have opined that Maker should spend a year or two in the D-League before testing his talent in the NBA.

Ahead of the NBA Combine, Maker has been training with Drew Hanlen, a guy whose roster includes Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns and Bradley Beal, to bring his game up to speed as quickly as possible. Hanlen first met Maker two years ago, when he was asked by Maker's guardian to train him briefly while Maker was going on college visits.

STACK caught up with Hanlen at his training compound in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where Maker has been working out, to find out how things are going.

STACK: What's the biggest thing Thon has learned about himself and his body since you first met him?
Drew Hanlen: I think the first thing he did on his own is transform his body. He got a lot stronger and he's filled out his frame, which allows him to do a lot more things he needs to do to be successful. Bang down low, get good positioning, catch the ball in his spots and attack, back down and stay low. His shoulders broadened, he developed more core strength and he developed the ability to drop his hips and play lower.

Number two, instead of trying to become the next Kevin Durant, he started focusing on trying to become the next young Kevin Garnett. Which means he transformed his game from being a guy that floated around the perimeter to a guy that plays out of the mid-post, the pinch-post and even the low-post, depending on who's guarding him. He's figured out how to exploit mismatches better.

And then number three, he has continued to work on his ability to stretch the defense with an improved shot. That's one of the big things we stated our focus was, being able to expand his game all the way out to the NBA 3-point line so that he could be one of those guys who is very valuable in today's NBA offenses, working out of the pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop or pick-and-short roll situations.

When you started training him, what one thing did you notice immediately that you wanted to fix?
His baseline turnaround and his half-spin turnaround in the mid and low post. His footwork was off. His ball protection was suspect, and he did not know all the nuances of the turnaround jump shot or the half-spin jump shot. After an hour of working on it, he had one rep that was full speed and perfect footwork, perfect ball protection, perfect elevation, perfect recline on his fadeaway and he swished the shot. He had a big smile on his face and said "That's f***ing unstoppable."

When we realized maybe one out of 250 reps were perfect, I said just imagine when all 250 go in. This year, Jordan Clarkson is my client so I got to spend a lot of time pre-game watching Jordan warm up, and I had a conversation with Kobe on how to help Andrew Wiggins play. I said, "Moving forward with Andrew, what's something that I can learn from you that helped you out when you were trying to copy Jordan's game, because we're trying to copy your game and Michael Jordan's game as well." He said, "Have a move that you can hang your hat on." So I took that lesson that Kobe gave me in pre-game warm-ups and applied that to Thon.

I told him, "We have one move that's unstoppable, that we can hang our hats on and have the counter move, so that when defenses take away our go-to move, that's unstoppable as well. We're going to have an advantageous situation where the defense can't stop us."

Thon Maker

What does a typical training day for Thon?
In the morning, we'll do game shots, where he will get 150 game shots he's going to be able to shoot. Pick-and-pop shots, spacing the floor shots, elbow shots, mid-post shots, all the shots he is going to get in an NBA offense. We finish the morning session with a 250 Drill, where he makes 250 NBA 3's and we see how many attempts it takes to make.

After that, we go to a weight training session, and he works on his body. He takes the entire afternoon off. We do a night skill session where he works on whatever the topic of the day is. Normally we break it down into three segments. One day we will work on mid- and low-post and pinch post. One day we will work on pick-and-pop, pick-and-short roll stuff. One day we'll work on NBA offenses the way we think he's going to get shots in different NBA systems and schemes. We just basically rotate those three skill workouts at night.

After the night session, we come back and watch film of the stuff that we worked on. I have a full time videographer that films all the workouts. We come back and compare it to NBA players' clips that are similar to him that have been successful using the stuff we worked on.

Thon is such a unique case, because he's over 7-feet but can move and dribble like a guard. Has he grown into his body, or does he still have a lot of work to do in terms of body control and mastering his frame?
I've worked with a lot of guys that are very tall and lean, and sometimes those guys don't have the capability to put up big weight on the traditional weightlifting exercises. But for Thon, his biggest things are, number one, can he keep his hips low and can he work on strengthening his hips so he can play lower? Number two is, can he get his core strong enough so he can take bumps and hits without being redirected and getting bumped off his line? And number three, defensively, is he quick enough to move around or to stay in front of players that are really quick and use his length as a shot altering tool? Which means his feet have to be in the right position.

So those are the three big areas. I think he still has a ways to go in that department, but he's an unbelievable worker. Just a relentless worker that studies the game like crazy. He's very aware of his body and he's very aware of his game. He loves the little nuances that go into each skill. So being a high IQ player and being a guy that's highly educated in what his body is able to do, he's working toward that every single day.

Opinions vary about whether Thon will be ready to play in the NBA right away. Having spent time with him, do you think he'll need a stint in the D-League first?
I think that greatly depends on the team that drafts him. If he gets drafted by a contender, then it will be great for him to play behind a veteran that can teach him the ropes, that can teach him how to go about being a pro. That can teach him all the nuances that go into his game and kind of help formulate a game plan that will work and make him successful for a long time.

If he goes to a team that isn't a contender, where he will have to go in and play a bigger role and kind of get thrown into the fire, he'll go through his rookie roller coaster that so many other rookies do. If you look at rookies, almost every single one of them have big ups and downs. Part of that is figuring out who they are as a player, what's going to make them successful, because the NBA is such a different game. Compound that with spending an 82-game season with a new travel schedule, and you're going up against the best players in the world on a daily basis. That's just something that no training, no lifting, no mental preparation or film study can ever prepare you for. In my opinion it depends on which team drafts him and how early they need him.

http://www.stack.com/a/go-inside-thon-makers-training-for-the-nba-combine

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed May 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Sure the Cs should look at this kid. He is already 7 feet tall and very long and could possibly grow another two inches before he is 21.

He handles the ball very well for a big kid and looks like he could shoot well enough in time to play on the perimeter in the new NBA within a couple of years.

He may never become the big banger in the lane even with his height, but he may still be an NBA player. With all the draft picks that Ainge has I am sure that he knows quite a bit about this guy already. Maker could be a pre draft workout invitee.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 05, 2016 9:18 am

KID LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER KG!

THIS KID GOT TALENT IF AVAILABLE DRAFT HIM ASAP. HE IS GOING TO BE A WORLD TALENT. JUST LOOK AT HIS FOOT WORK, BALANCE AND POISE! HE HAS A GREAT VISION OF THE COURT AND WHERE HIS TEAMMATES ARE.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 am

bob just saw this thread, on Hammons I think he could be a good serviceable role player, kid can block shots and post up in low blocks, developed a mid range game last year of college to, every year he got thinner and in better shape, at least he has the discipline to do that, in other words hes not Sully, everybody telling you what you need to do and providing everything and your still a fat slow slob.....he could be better than Perk or as good as Ezeli or better? we'll see

on Thin Maker glad he has a top trainer that hes working with to further develop him, I like him and would be excited if he was here. If he was here I imagine Danny would have brought him in for a few workouts and been impressed enough to want the kid. Read an article years ago that McHale and co when they drafted KG were blown away with his workout and that if he was there they were gonna pounce and they did.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 05, 2016 12:47 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob just saw this thread, on Hammons I think he could be a good serviceable role player, kid can block shots and post up in low blocks, developed a mid range game last year of college to, every year he got thinner and in better shape, at least he has the discipline to do that, in other words hes not Sully, everybody telling you what you need to do and providing everything and your still a fat slow slob.....he could be better than Perk or as good as Ezeli or better? we'll see

on Thin Maker glad he has a top trainer that hes working with to further develop him, I like him and would be excited if he was here. If he was here I imagine Danny would have brought him in for a few workouts and been impressed enough to want the kid. Read an article years ago that McHale and co when they drafted KG were blown away with his workout and that if he was there they were gonna pounce and they did.

Cow,

Personally, I think I'd lean towards Maker over Hammons.  The biggest reason for that is Hammons' questionable motor.  You cannot teach that.  It's hard to teach ganas, you have to either have it or get punched in the nose, hard, to get it and sometimes it comes too late.  Two good examples of "too late" are John Lucas and Chris Herren (and maybe Johnny Manziel).  An example of "not too late" might be Gerald Green and even Jeff Green (he isn't living up to his potential, nor his $5 pick, but he still can play in the NBA).

I watched the Maker video and it specifically mentioned his good motor and his competitiveness on offense and defense.  Hammons, on the other hand, has a questionable motor, and he'll be 24 by the start of next season.  Remember that 7'er who was undrafted, played in Vegas for the Lakers and got an invite to their camp, knew this was his last shot, and blew it?  We were watching him and wondering why Danny didn't take a 2nd round flyer on him?  Hammons must know his ticket should have been punched 2-3 years ago, but didn't motivate himself to be draft-worthy.  He's likely a 2nd round pick when, with his body and skills, he should be a lottery pick. Brad has specifically said he likes players with a chip on their shoulders, and Hammons doesn't seem to even know what that means.

Maker will gain weight and muscle.  His BBIQ?  I don't know about that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu May 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Thon Maker looks great in the videos, but the reason he's dropped to be projected late first or second round is that he was underwhelming in actual competition last year, and that was against high schoolers.

He seems like he has skills, coordination, and agility for a guy that tall, so if Ainge keeps all or most of his picks, he's worth spending one of those picks on him. But assuming they work him out, they'll know more after that.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 05, 2016 4:46 pm

depends on his workouts with NBA players to me. Frankly hard to know what his talent level is, due to the low level of competition so far.

you'll either have to hold a 15th roster spot for him or have his agent agree to play overseas for a few years .

Maker reminds me of another skinny High schooler , Jonathan Bender more than KG at this point.

and Bob you're talking about R. Upshaw I believe. we had more than a few heated discusions here last year about him, if I recall.

I compared Hammonds to Mark West earlier and someone said it was pretty bad for Hammonds if true. I beg to differ as West played somewhere around 10 years in the NBA as a solid back up center. That's not a bad ceiling for Hammonds to have IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm

kdp59 wrote: you'll either have to hold a 15th roster spot for him or have his agent agree to play overseas for a few years .

Was wondering about that - you can't designate him to the D-league for a year and maintain his rights?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
kdp59 wrote: you'll either have to hold a 15th roster spot for him or have his agent agree to play overseas for a few years .

Was wondering about that - you can't designate him to the D-league for a year and maintain his rights?

good question.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu May 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

To designate a player to the D-League, they have to be on a teams 15 man roster.
No, you can't assign a draftee to the D-League to stash him away for a year or two.
He can play in Europe and the drafting team would keep his rights.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Thu May 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Outside wrote:Thon Maker looks great in the videos, but the reason he's dropped to be projected late first or second round is that he was underwhelming in actual competition last year, and that was against high schoolers.

He seems like he has skills, coordination, and agility for a guy that tall, so if Ainge keeps all or most of his picks, he's worth spending one of those picks on him. But assuming they work him out, they'll know more after that.

That's the argument, but it's outdated and an over-reaction to the HUGE hype Thon Maker has had since he was 15.

The draft opinion makers like Draft Express seem to have stopped watching game film of him at least a year ago, and the only time they've watched him since was at Basketball Without Borders at the All Star Weekend in Toronto a couple months ago. BWB is just drills and workshops and a few scrimmages with people you've never played with.

Maker averaged something like 25 points, 12-15 rebounds, and like 5 blocked shots this year against a top prep-school schedule.

Remember, even last June draft express was saying that Porzingis was in no way ready to play in the NBA, or in KDP's terminology, was a 15th roster spot hold in the short term.

Even the top draft experts like draft express make the same mistakes every single year. Probably because they over-extend themselves and have so many hundreds of kids to scout every year, at every level, domestically and around the world.

Maker will get on an NBA court as a rookie, and he's not just a 15th roster spot hold.

It's like Draft Express just threw Thon into the second round of their mocks, without even thinking about it or comparing Thon to the INDIVIDUALS DX rates higher.

Maker measures up to every other PF or C prospect in this draft, even if he shot too much and made too many bad passes over a year ago.

Simmons on the other hand is the son of an NBA player, born with a basketball in his hands, and he's largely a finished product right now, both skill-wise and physically. If Simmons had any talent for shooting jump shots he would have shown it in the last 19 years of his basketball career. Maker on the other hand has only been playing since late 2011, just 5 years ago.

And yet somehow Simmons is the draft darling whose glaring holes will magically be fixed in the future, but Thon will not only never improve, but people didn't even bother to watch his actual games in the last year before doubling down on their old, outdated "analysis".

Thon plays like a warrior, and has already shown a lot more than Dragan Bender has. Bender isn't even physical against Euro guys, but he's expected to magically become a physical player in the NBA. Meanwhile Thon already plays physical, but people declare he is years away at best, without even watching games from the past year, and finding every reason to assume the worst about him, all because Thon was hyped like LeBron James a few years ago.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu May 05, 2016 6:23 pm

I saw film on Maker well over a year ago and the first thought that came to mind was..wow he reminds me of KG.  Then i did not hear anything about him and as you know it was just recently that his name began to appear in various mock drafts.  

I do not know if he will be a great player one day but you certainly cannot teach height and length and it is clear that he really can handle the rock for a player of his size.  His skills are quite apparent.

I think he projects as a PF/C and I think he is probably worth the 3rd of our first round picks.  I do not think he will last to the 2nd round.  Some other team drafting at the bottom will scoop him up in a NY minute.

If there was any year to take a flyer on a player with "Potential" this may be it because we have enough draft picks to absorb making a mistake that far down the draft board.

I say draft him.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Thu May 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Everybody "knew" that Porzingis was 7'2 or 7'3 last year, but it's like people have trouble conceptualizing 7'1, 7'2, or 7'3. People need to see that height standing next to NBA players or the top prospects before they believe what they already know.

So Thon hasn't had a chance to "prove" that he's 7'1" against the top draft prospects yet, or against NBA players.

People also have a hard time conceptualizing weight gain in players. Even though they "know" or should know that a skinny 18 or 19 year old will gain weight, it's just hard to conceptualize. This lack of imagination works in the favor of players who are already physically developed and filled out.

Whether it's Simmons and Hield this year, or Jabari Parker and Julius Randle a couple years ago, or Okafor (over skinny Porzingis) last year, people always seem to favor what they already see with their own eyes, even if they should be able to know that the guys like Greek Freak, Gobert, Porzingis, Brandon Ingram, and Thon Maker will fill out.

Yes, Thon Maker is about as talented as Porzingis and Gobert, and yes, people made the exact same mistake with those two as they're making about Thon Maker right now.

Of course if Maker had been at U Kentucky this past season, and all over the television, we'd be giddy about getting EXACTLY the player the Celtics need most, who fits EXACTLY into our system, with our top 5 pick.

In fact, Maker might not just be the most talented prospect in this draft, he might be more talented than everybody in the much hyped 2017 draft class as well.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Maker falls to #16, and in two years we'll all be screaming at Danny for not drafting Maker in the top 5 when it should have been such an obvious pick.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 pm

It is surprising that no NBA teams (afaik) have any agreements with european clubs to use them as farm clubs. It would sort of benefit both, the NBA teams can keep their draft picks longer (since they dont have to take up a roster spot) and the european club would get some premium talent.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Europe it is! Draft him!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Maker sounds like this year's Greek Freak, a somewhat unknown entity with possible off the chart skills.

We should have taken the Freak in the draft, maybe this time around we should take Maker. The question seems to be when? With the Brooklyn pick? I'm glad I don't have to decide.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 05, 2016 9:03 pm

I SAY WE SHOULD TAKE MAKER'S MARK! I'LL DRINK TO THAT!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Just remember he's played against high school players.

I am not a scout nor am I a Draft expert. But I will defer to those that are.

Perhaps Maker ends up as the next KG, but I doubt that any of us could know from his play so far.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 15, 2016 10:19 am

After long road, Maker adds intrigue to next month's draft

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/long-road-maker-adds-intrigue-next-months-draft-001557497--nba.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- The picture of the Larry O'Brien Trophy that is his phone's wallpaper could be Thon Maker's reminder to maintain his focus and not lose sight of his ultimate goal.

Or, maybe it just looks good.

''I've had this for two years,'' Maker said Friday at the NBA Draft Combine. ''I love trophies. I collect them in my room. It's beautiful. It makes my phone look good.''

Maker is one of the many prospects trying to look good for NBA executives in an effort to boost their stock in next month's draft. And he just might be the most intriguing of all, given where he came from and how he reached this point.

The 7-footer from South Sudan who moved to Australia as a child and had been living in Canada is poised to become the first player to jump from high school to the NBA in 11 years, after the league ruled him eligible for the draft a month ago.

''I was just praying and waiting to get in,'' said Maker, who had started working out in South Carolina when the decision came. ''When I got accepted, I was really happy. My family called me. They said they read the good news online. Just had to be humbled knowing that now it's like you're starting your freshman year of high school. You've really got to go in there and just put a big goal in your mind just to get better and work as hard as you can.''

Not since the league instituted a rule in the 2005 Collective Bargaining Agreement that U.S. players be at least 19 and one year removed from the graduation of their high school class, has a player made the leap from preps to the NBA. But Maker's case was open to interpretation.

He turned 19 in February and argued he actually earned his high school diploma in 2015, even though he spent a fifth year at Athlete Institute Prep in Mono, Ontario, about 90 minutes from Toronto.

He previously attended high schools in Louisiana and Virginia and when asked exactly how many places he has lived, he paused and shook his head.

''I don't know,'' Maker said. ''Do your research.''

The list starts with his birth in South Sudan and includes seven years in Australia before coming to North America. And no matter where he winds up playing, Maker figures there is at least one thing that won't faze him.

''There is not a weather condition that I haven't been in,'' Maker said. ''It can't get any worse than Canada.''

He said he has met with about 12 teams, including Boston, Charlotte, the Lakers, Portland and Oklahoma City.

Had he decided to go to college, he said he would have chosen among Arizona State, Kansas, Indiana and St. John's.

''Those are really good schools and it's not just because of basketball,'' he said. ''I would have had to lean on my family for that one.''

Maker believes he has a wide range of skills to make it in the NBA even though he is viewed as more of a project than a finished product. He insisted a team taking him will wind up with a ''great player, a hard-working player.''

Kentucky product Skal Labissiere counts Maker as one of his best friends and said: ''I always check on him to see how he's doing. He's a very talented guy.''

Marquese Chriss of Washington sees Maker as a player as an impact player who is ''long, can shoot the ball. He's skilled.''

Maker has been attracting attention for years, particularly after a mixtape that he said created misconceptions about his game started circulating online.

The video shows him dribbling behind the back, throwing down vicious dunks, nailing jumpers and layups and rejecting shot after shot. He looks like a cross between Dikembe Mutombo and Kevin Durant - pretty good company - in the video. But he also said it really does not reflect his game.

''People have got to stop mixtapes,'' he said. ''That's not me. I'll bet you those people that put out those mixtapes never really sat through a game of mine and saw my defensive rotation, the way I communicate to my teammates, the way I pass the ball. They probably got the bad passes, the one-and passes, and didn't get the fundamental two-handed jump shot or skip passes. They don't get to see all that.''

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next